Page 66 of 90 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2228
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn’t do it in this piece, but he’s actually an analytics guy, a bettor who turned his math into draft analysis, mostly through statistical comparisons.

He does make me laugh sometimes, though. Like, last year, in his final big board,he had Branham tied at 21 with EJ Liddell, and Blake at 26. Yet, he threw brickbats at the Spurs for picking them at almost exactly those spots In his post draft. He loved Sochan, had him at like 4 or 5. He was also a big Sengün guy in 2021, but in another weirdness, completely ignored his turnstile defense while harshly grading other players for that same thing.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with him, which is why him just doing this 'yeah, this guy kind of sucks but I'm ranking him high because of feelings' with Filipowski (especially) is kind of weird. Filipowski is a big lumbering guy who isn't good at what he's supposed to be good at, but Dean is like, "yeah, but what if he gets good?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo has to be an incomplete as a score. We don't know how he'd advance as a basketball player. It's like Jay Williams or something - he crashed a motorcycle, ended his career. Doesn't make it a bad pick at the time. We aren't Merlin the magician living backward in time.
    I'm assuming no Primo incidents were known of prior to the draft.

I mean would Tracy have been able to find some flashing instances were he assigned to the Primo case pre draft?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just learned Miller apparently had a groin injury during the Tournament.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably too much tossing off to everyone picking him over Scoot for #2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im legit terrified out of anyone outside of Wemby lol. I would be thrilled with Scoot or Miller having said that, but it’s not like I think they are cant miss at the moment.
    TBH I'm terrified of Wemby too given how players as tall as him rarely have long and/or consistent NBA careers. Yao, Sabonis, and Sampson are pretty much the best of the best at that size and each of them had terrible injury history. And Sampson wasn't even that good healthy. The only decent player that size I can even think of who wasn't a China doll was Mark Eaton. You gotta take him for his talent but Wemby is no sure thing like Tim or LeBron.

EDIT: Forgot Rik Smits, he wasn't too injury prone either
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-27-2023 at 10:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this was stated during the time. I kinda doubt it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dean has switched from a web page to a Substack. He put out a big board of 16 prospects last week. Definitely marches to his own drummer.

https://deanondraft.substack.com/p/sweet-16-big-board
    ​fine

16. Cam Whitmore

Whitmore is a thick 6’7 at 232 pounds and a good athlete who loves to dunk the ball, and has a decent shot making 35% 3P 72.1% FT. He is also one of the youngest prospects in the class, turning 19 in July after the draft.
    But he also plays somewhat like a smaller Jabari Parker, as he is often tries to create with pure brute force and is prone to tunnel vision with 1.1 assists vs 2.4 turnovers per 40. He also drew a curiously low 0.25 FT rate given his style and tools.
    He is young enough for this to not be a death knell, and perhaps he can evolve into a Tobias Harris type of NBA player who is a coveted wing. And he is young enough to become even better than Tobias if things go really well.
    He is a pure gamble on youth and tools. There is definitely enough there for him to have potential, but it comes attached with some chunky bust risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole GLeague vs College nonsense (and thinking it matters which league a prospect goes to, in general) falls flat on its face when you think about the players who went straight to the NBA from high school when the rules allowed it:

Amare Stoudamire
    Dwight Howard
    T-Mac
    Kevin Garnett
    Kobe Bryant
    and…
    if we’re going to use all-time greats like Duncan & Robinson (which no top prospect follows the 4 year plan these days anymore so they are bad examples anyway)
    …LeBron James

I guess these assholes had pointless careers because they didn’t go to college.

i guess they would have been regrettable selections because they didn’t go to college for one year to learn how to handle game-time situations and learn how to make their teammates better. It would totally be the right call to pass on them at the time. high school tape anyway, these dumbasses should have gone to college to show how compe ive they really are. No way the talent they showed in high school is legit.

Lol. And I’m going to throw my own patronizing card in here. I’m going to say people who are this dismissive of players who don’t go to college is just an excuse for their lack of ability to recognize talent when it’s there. Downright ridiculous to say things like “people who think Scoot’s good don’t watch the gleague” when I’ve watched that and college for prospects relentlessly. I’m the last dude who should be accused of that.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-28-2023 at 05:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My best case scenarios for the Spurs:

1) If they land the #1 pick, draft Wemba
    2) If they land the #2 pick, draft Scoot
    3) If they land pick #3 or below and are unable to make a trade for an additional 1st rd pick, draft Cam Whitmore
    4) If they land pick #3 or below and are able to make a trade for another 1st, draft Jarace Walker and one of Jordan Hawkins or Rayan Rupert

Any of these scenarios happen and I’ll be extremely happy (of course none of them will)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jarace Walker will only be limited to defending bigs in the NBA, then Rayan Rupert might be the best defender in this draft…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jarace Walker will only be limited to defending bigs in the NBA, then Rayan Rupert might be the best defender in this draft…
    This is my biggest concern with Jarace Walker, he's more of a stocky 4/5 (and undersized at that), and may not have the easiest path transitioning to defending in the NBA, where he'll find himsef facing wings much faster, skilled and athletic than he's used to. Also his 3 pt shot dipped, and he's not my ideal long term partner with Sochan.
    Ryan Rupert sounds ok for mid teens onwards, but if he's our top pick it'd be extremely underwhelming. Depressing, I should say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No love for Wallace?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep hearing about how much he's the next Jrue, but every time I've watched him, I've seen players blow by him plenty. Granted, I didn't watch every bit of every game, but enough of a sample to make me seriously doubt it was just bad luck. Otherwise he's an ok guard, he can handle the ball and he's a good shooter, but his calling card is defense and I don't have anywhere near enough confidence to take him where we'll pick. But he's ok if we find ourselves with an extra late lottery pick (not my first choice though).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my biggest concern with Jarace Walker, he's more of a stocky 4/5 (and undersized at that), and may not have the easiest path transitioning to defending in the NBA, where he'll find himsef facing wings much faster, skilled and athletic than he's used to. Also his 3 pt shot dipped, and he's not my ideal long term partner with Sochan.
    Ryan Rupert sounds ok for mid teens onwards, but if he's our top pick it'd be extremely underwhelming. Depressing, I should say.
    Not advocating Rayan for our top pick but in case there is a trade for an additional 1st.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo you answer the question about jarace, he's an inside guy who can defend some wings and that's ok if the defense is good overall( wich is the case). I don't have too much concern about the undersized thing as the nba goes smaller and smaller and he's really strong.

Some good stuff here.

Ok about the pairing with Sochan, may not be the ideal pair. Not sure where he could be the pick, the Spurs will pick 7 max so maybe that's where i could start take him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could be, he is a really hard worker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The french kids this year are actually really impressive. Wemby, obviously, but then there are 3 wings: Rayan Rupert (playing in NZ), Bilal Coulibaly (playing in Fra) and Sidy Cissoko (playing in the G-League), all of whom look like they might make it as NBA players...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our front corps is pretty weak behind Sochan— that’s the only reason I’m okay with seeing how Jarace would work, accepting the fact that it might take a little or a lot of imagination for him to become more than what he looks like right now. The apparent upside that he displays on the defensive end is something that could pay off if the Spurs go in that direction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker is a very good defender he moves his feet really well and his 7’2 wingspan really helps with help side defense. I think he will go around 6 to 9 in the draft as he has been moving up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dean, like any other human being, has his share of hits and misses, but is a fun additional data point. Didn't have Jalen Williams on his big board at all, IIRC, and panned OKC for picking him, but was higher than the market on DJM (#13 overall).

Of note, he did have Bassey (#26) rated over other Spurs Weiskamp (#29), Champagnie (#35), Primo (#49) and Mamu (rated as a "Longshot").

It's fun to go back and read some of his big boards because it really hammers home what a crap shoot the draft can be. Anyone remember Dragan Bender?
    He had Jalen Williams at #24.

https://deanondraft.com//?s=2022+big+board&search=Go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My best case scenarios for the Spurs:

1) If they land the #1 pick, draft Wemba
    2) If they land the #2 pick, draft Scoot
    3) If they land pick #3 or below and are unable to make a trade for an additional 1st rd pick, draft Cam Whitmore
    4) If they land pick #3 or below and are able to make a trade for another 1st, draft Jarace Walker and one of Jordan Hawkins or Rayan Rupert

Any of these scenarios happen and I’ll be extremely happy (of course none of them will)
    Out completely on Miller? For me he is still either option 2 or 3, but I do like Whitmore as the best choice outside of the top 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH I'm terrified of Wemby too given how players as tall as him rarely have long and/or consistent NBA careers. Yao, Sabonis, and Sampson are pretty much the best of the best at that size and each of them had terrible injury history. And Sampson wasn't even that good healthy. The only decent player that size I can even think of who wasn't a China doll was Mark Eaton. You gotta take him for his talent but Wemby is no sure thing like Tim or LeBron.

EDIT: Forgot Rik Smits, he wasn't too injury prone either
    Smits was really good on those 90’s pacers playoff teams good until nerve problems with his feet ended his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The french kids this year are actually really impressive. Wemby, obviously, but then there are 3 wings: Rayan Rupert (playing in NZ), Bilal Coulibaly (playing in Fra) and Sidy Cissoko (playing in the G-League), all of whom look like they might make it as NBA players...
    Wouldn't touch Cissoko with a ten foot pole. He's 6'5", which is pretty average. What is not average is a SG who shoots 31.4% and 64.3% at the line. For some reason, the gleague either can't or wont provide WS or BPM to draft sites, so I'm left with only his dRtg of 121.6 to judge his defense. Not bueno.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't touch Cissoko with a ten foot pole. He's 6'5", which is pretty average. What is not average is a SG who shoots 31.4% and 64.3% at the line. For some reason, the gleague either can't or wont provide WS or BPM to draft sites, so I'm left with only his dRtg of 121.6 to judge his defense. Not bueno.
    Yeah, but the Miami Lobster Claws and Peoria Ice Cream Cones are incredible compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smits was really good on those 90’s pacers playoff teams good until nerve problems with his feet ended his career.
    Well , so it really is just Mark Eaton at that size as the only guy to have a full and stable NBA career.

Thread Information