Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am happy that this draft seems deep, we all want Victor but Scoot, Miller, Whitmore, Thompson twins would all be great gets as well.

im actually starting to really get typed about Scoot or Miller tbh
    The twins would be like buying a pig in a poke. You would really have no idea what you’re getting, since you’re basically drafting them off an AAU level team. Their compe ion is absolutely .

Was Brandon Miller one of he UA players at the murder scene? They only arrested the trigger man, but supposedly other players were present.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The twins would be like buying a pig in a poke. You would really have no idea what you’re getting, since you’re basically drafting them off an AAU level team. Their compe ion is absolutely .

Was Brandon Miller one of he UA players at the murder scene? They only arrested the trigger man, but supposedly other players were present.
    That's the big question on Miller. That information should come out though so it'll help with the process. On the twins, individual workouts are going to be key... I've got them pretty high on my personal board, but I'm having to take huge liberties at this point for the very reason you pointed out... They literally could be challenging Scoot for #2 or falling out of the top 10 depending on workouts/interviews..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That only means you should be extra careful not to get carried away, yes, but still the athleticism and skills are there and shouldn't be ruled out as a result. If anything, it's likely to cause them to drop some, and if we're unlucky in the lottery (say we end up picking 7th or so) maybe one of them ends up the higher upside pick available to us. With proper individual workouts, I wouldn't be opposed to picking one of them in such a scenario. They're basically the '23 version of Sharpe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That only means you should be extra careful not to get carried away, yes, but still the athleticism and skills are there and shouldn't be ruled out as a result. If anything, it's likely to cause them to drop some, and if we're unlucky in the lottery (say we end up picking 7th or so) maybe one of them ends up the higher upside pick available to us. With proper individual workouts, I wouldn't be opposed to picking one of them in such a scenario. They're basically the '23 version of Sharpe.
    This could be some unconscious bias at work, but it just seems like the type of kids who are going to go to Overtime Elite are probably the same type of kids who will demand a trade out of SA if they do actually pan out to be stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This could be some unconscious bias at work, but it just seems like the type of kids who are going to go to Overtime Elite are probably the same type of kids who will demand a trade out of SA if they do actually pan out to be stars.
    I don't know about that. Barlow comes from Overtime Elite and he's a coachable, hard working kid. The Thompson brothers don't seem to be headcases. I have more concerns about Scoot wanting out that them, TBH. Even Wemby, God forbid. But in any case, that's a risk we have to take anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about that. Barlow comes from Overtime Elite and he's a coachable, hard working kid. The Thompson brothers don't seem to be headcases. I have more concerns about Scoot wanting out that them, TBH. Even Wemby, God forbid. But in any case, that's a risk we have to take anyway.
    I for sure get that vibe from Scoot. Honestly, from any American prospect that forgoes college. I get a little less concerned with foreign prospects, because they didn’t grow up in American consumerism culture… but heck, with kids these days you never know.

Those are the “get of my lawn” rambling thoughts of this 40-something year old

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw some OTE highlights of the twins and boy, Amen Thompson reminds me of Manu Ginobili in the way he plays. He is absolutely explosive in his athleticism, a brilliant passer and a terrific live dribble player. All he lacks is a good jumpshot and if he can work on that and get it.. he will be a force to reckon with in the NBA. His twin Ausar is quite similar, but more defensive minded and a better spot up shooter and not as good in passing/finishing. One of these guys could be good consolation prizes for teams missing out on Wemby/Scoot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some recent performances of some prospects :

Brandon Miller continues to impress

Good game by Keyonte George Yesterday

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Miller highlight really doesn’t impress me all that much. No explosion. He’s got good feel and motion but I don’t see anything there I can’t live without. George maybe looked a little better but his release looks kinda low.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer's 2023 NBA Draft Guide

Mock Draft Updated 1.19
    San Antonio Spurs
    Amen Thompson

Overtime Elite, USA
    Amen Thompson
    Playmaker
    Height 6'7" Weight 200
    Age 20.4 Wingspan 6'9"
    San Antonio Spurs

San Antonio is loaded with young wings like Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell, but the team needs an energizer. Thompson could run point for the new era of the Spurs, and fit into their system with his willingness to play off the ball. For years, Thompson has excelled sharing the rock with his twin brother, Ausar, and in San Antonio he’d be paired with teammates worthy of getting touches.

Electric shot creator with a distinguished combination of passing vision and zippy athleticism.
    Venn Diagaram Icon
    Shades Of
    Tall Ja Morant, Beanpole Zion Williamson

Athleticismbadge
    Athleticism
    Human Highlightbadge
    Human Highlight
    Ballhandlingbadge
    Ballhandling
    Positional Versatilitybadge
    Positional Versatility

PLUSES

Otherworldly athlete. He has open-floor speed, quick-twitch bodily movements, functional control of his body, burst off the dribble, and rocket-ship verticality.

Playmaker who goes through his reads like a quarterback. He delivers every type of pass with accuracy, and with his height he can see over the defense to make passes from high angles.

Turns into Mario with a super star when he gets the ball. It speeds him up even more, but he stays under control by using hesitation moves. Going from fast to slow allows him to get wherever he wants on the court. He needs to tighten up some of his moves, but that should happen in time.

Turns steals and defensive rebounds into instant offense with immediate outlet passes. If he plays with bigs who run, he will reward them. Or he’ll rev his engine and push the ball up the court himself for powerful interior finishes.

Excellent at applying ball pressure, moving laterally, and navigating screens, consistently showing great fundamentals. He has active hands, using them to poke at the ball or simply disturb the opponent’s rhythm. But when he needs to just play solid defense, he can execute.

Makes all the right plays in help situations. If he’s rotating into the paint to stop a drive, he’s explosive enough to offer rim protection and speedy enough to close out on 3s. And if he’s switched on to a larger player trying to post him up, he battles hard to deny entry passes.

MINUSES

Defenses already dare him to shoot. NBA teams will do the same by going under ball screens or sagging off him when he’s spotting up. If his shot doesn’t develop it’ll complicate his team fit in the same way it does with Ben Simmons.

There’s little reason for optimism that he’ll become any more than a passable shooter. He struggles from the line and from the field. He’s shown a willingness to change his mechanics, but the results haven’t improved.

He’ll need to prove himself as a half-court scorer against higher-level compe ion. One of his best opportunities to prove himself to scouts came in the Basketball Tournament against a team of former Creighton players, and he showed a lack of counters when his initial penetration attempt was contained.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beanpole Zion Williamson.... I'm not sure how to process that one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tall Ja/Beanpole Zion does not compute… wtf does that even mean?

Was getting exciting reading the scouting report until they got to the shooting… that’s definitely disappointing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Miller highlight really doesn’t impress me all that much. No explosion. He’s got good feel and motion but I don’t see anything there I can’t live without. George maybe looked a little better but his release looks kinda low.
    Hard to really judge against college "defenses" and reading seems good but speed and athlecism don't seem outstanding. Coudn't help thinking about TP seeing that Miller spin move and well, Miller isn't there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tall Ja/Beanpole Zion does not compute… wtf does that even mean?
    Guess it's related to his skinnier frame.

Now, Scoot Henderson: "Shades of Efficient Russell Westbrook"... Ouch.

And for people doubting Wemby unicorn-ess. he already tried and is working on a floater... from behind the arc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It feels like it's Wembanyama and a bunch of extreeemely distant prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It feels like it's Wembanyama and a bunch of extreeemely distant prospects.
    That would be the case with Wemby in 95% of all draft classes (sans '03, '96, '84, and a few others). But yes, I do share that there's a steep decline (after 2) where there's significant potential, but no home run type picks. In fact a lot of the prospects mentioned in the top 10 I might skip altogether, and I'm thinking I'd probably take 2 picks in the 10-15 range, over one in the 5-9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’ll need to prove himself as a half-court scorer against higher-level compe ion. One of his best opportunities to prove himself to scouts came in the Basketball Tournament against a team of former Creighton players, and he showed a lack of counters when his initial penetration attempt was contained.
    Wonder if Dougie McBuckets was locking him up as a former Creighton player?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if Dougie McBuckets was locking him up as a former Creighton player?
    Current Roster:
    Admon Gilder (Texas A&M & Gonzaga)
    Austin Chatman (Creighton)
    Deion Bute (Central Connecticut State)
    Deverell Biggs (Nebraska & Texas Southern)
    Greg Smith (Colorado State)
    Jahenns Manigat (Creighton)
    Justin Patton (Creighton)
    Manny Suarez (Fordham, Adelphi, & Creighton)
    Marcus Foster (Creighton)
    Ronnie Harrell (Creighton)
    Tre’Shawn Thurman (Omaha & Nevada)
    Wayne Runnels Jr. (Creighton)

Coaching Staff/GM:
    Josh Jones (GM/Head Coach)
    Doug McDermott (Asst. Coach)
    James “Ice” Benford (Asst. Coach)
    Michael Vandervoort (GM)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be too disappointed if the Spurs ended up with Amen Thompson. Our team shooting will continue to suck, but the kid has superstar ceiling provided he can improve his shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't matter who we get because as long as popovich is here coaching like it's 1999, we're gonna ing suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not for this draft year, but I want to log interest in Indiana's Jalen Hood-Schafino, their freshman point guard. He has 6/7 from deep in the first half against OSU, although he's not really a huge scorer. More of a true point with good size, he sees the floor very well, understands where his guys are and seeks them out. Unless somehow he blows up in the next two months he'll stay another year, but he has talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keyonte George separating himself from the pack

in terms of special talent aside from Wemba, I think there are three:

Keyonte George
    Scoot
    Cam Whitmore

the good thing is Keyonte and Cam could be nabbed as low as 5th or 6th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Eyepopping elite skillset and athleticism tbh
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-29-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Eyepopping elite skillset and athleticism tbh
    These highlights look a bit more athletic than the last ones I watched.

I still don't think I'd call it elite athleticism. He's getting around inferior players with ease but I wouldn't characterize that as explosive.

He's smooth but his release looks low and slow.

I'm not sure I'd say he's fast either.

Thread Information