Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead of looking at it like the current odds say 6th is the most likely current outcome by slot, I view it like there's a 67% chance of a top 5 pick.

Highest floor possible has always been the key this season, so that when the league screws them out of the big two, they at least have their pick of the litter.

Unfortunately, that would still probably mean (Amen) Thompson first, Black second given that they come off as "culture" fits and they're obsessed with big guards/wings who can't shoot and lack lead creator type skillsets.
    We could get the top pick and you’d still be complaining it is merely reparations for the Kahwhi debacle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, which is why I'm saying there should be a statistical chance for the top 5 or so positions to get any of the top 5 spots, with equal weight for the top 3 so that no one team has any higher odds of those 3 thereby reducing tanking but still guaranteeing that the bad teams still get the best picks. There's zero business for a team drafting 7th that finishes bottom 3. Too often too much talent disparity between pick 1-3 and pick 5-7. Worst teams should be guaranteed a top 5 pick while not being guaranteed the overall top choice. Somebody smarter than me could work those mathematics out for draft balls.
    Every bottom 5 team gets a top 5 pick => Every team with a record 6 or better gets a pick 6 or worse. That's equivalent to restricting the lottery to 5 teams instead of 14, i.e., a tankfest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tweak the culture. San Antonio is a 3rd rate US city but so is Cleveland, Utah, Detroit, Memphis maybe even Philly.

We don’t need to rebrand but obviously there is something not clicking.
    Look there's stuff wrong in SA currently with our last few drafts (Samanic, Primo) but I don't think you can draw the conclusion you did about the City being the cause, per se. The ex-players love the City with many **choosing** to live there for their after-playing lifetimes. See David, Sean, Timmy, George Hill (who played more of his career elsewhere than in SA) and now even Manu. There are plenty of others. Sean talks about it all the time on the telecast that players like the city once they experience it. , even the European players like it (Poeltl and Parker and Bobo all speak highly of it).

Now it's clearly no free agent destination but neither are pretty much 26 or 27 of the current NBA cities. What is happening currently is unavoidable and 99% 9f teams experience this much more frequently than we have. We just suck right now.

Only time will tell how long that is the case because like most other team's, our fortune rests squarely on our ability to draft. And to play better defense, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every bottom 5 team gets a top 5 pick => Every team with a record 6 or better gets a pick 6 or worse. That's equivalent to restricting the lottery to 5 teams instead of 14, i.e., a tankfest.
    Yeah when you put it like that...lol. This is why I enjoy this board.

I think my plan could be tinkered with a bit but the odds are still to high for a bottom 3 team to vote 5th or later. Just my 2 cents...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look there's stuff wrong in SA currently with our last few drafts (Samanic, Primo) but I don't think you can draw the conclusion you did about the City being the cause, per se. The ex-players love the City with many **choosing** to live there for their after-playing lifetimes. See David, Sean, Timmy, George Hill (who played more of his career elsewhere than in SA) and now even Manu. There are plenty of others. Sean talks about it all the time on the telecast that players like the city once they experience it. , even the European players like it (Poeltl and Parker and Bobo all speak highly of it).

Now it's clearly no free agent destination but neither are pretty much 26 or 27 of the current NBA cities. What is happening currently is unavoidable and 99% 9f teams experience this much more frequently than we have. We just suck right now.

Only time will tell how long that is the case because like most other team's, our fortune rests squarely on our ability to draft. And to play better defense, lol.
    Listen, I personally think San Antonio and most of Texas is pretty awesome. I’ve lived in 3 cities in my life; Glasgow, Scotland and Toronto/Vancouver, Canada. Young players who are making next level money see San Antonio as boring. Additionally, they have to deal with PATFO and their archaic ways so players that have opportunity elsewhere need a premium to be here.

A slight culture tweek could make more players want to be here. Especially when we are at the absolute bottom of the standings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could get the top pick and you’d still be complaining it is merely reparations for the Kahwhi debacle.
    That's what it should/would be.

After that, I wouldn't think the deserve an ounce more lottery luck for the foreseeable future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Glasgow? I've heard cool things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tweak the culture. San Antonio is a 3rd rate US city but so is Cleveland, Utah, Detroit, Memphis maybe even Philly.

We don’t need to rebrand but obviously there is something not clicking.
    What great FAs ever signed in those cities?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Glasgow? I've heard cool things.
    It has come a long way. Tons of gentrification. Less catholic/protestant BS. My parents grew up in council housing there; 20 minutes out of Glasgow city centre… since I’ve there (early 90s) that area has gone from having 3 locks on your door and bars on the windows to a thriving ancillary part of the city.

Weather is though. Makes Vancouver seem like Hawaii.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What great FAs ever signed in those cities?
    The difference is ppl don’t mind being there. Versus wanting to get the outta dodge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It has come a long way. Tons of gentrification. Less catholic/protestant BS. My parents grew up in council housing there; 20 minutes out of Glasgow city centre… since I’ve there (early 90s) that area has gone from having 3 locks on your door and bars on the windows to a thriving ancillary part of the city.

Weather is though. Makes Vancouver seem like Hawaii.
    Hmmm. I wouldn't have guessed about it being gentrified. Who is the gentrified population? Isn't the population heavily and historically white?

Or are you referencing the pure economics of gentrification? Here in the US, it's almost wrapped with racial undertones. I know parts of Europe have some places with religious gentrification too .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference is ppl don’t mind being there. Versus wanting to get the outta dodge.
    Other than mute cancer, who, of any consequence, wanted to get the out of dodge? I’ll save you the trouble of saying Stephen Jackson, since he isn’t of any consequence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm. I wouldn't have guessed about it being gentrified. Who is the gentrified population? Isn't the population heavily and historically white?

Or are you referencing the pure economics of gentrification? Here in the US, it's almost wrapped with racial undertones. I know parts of Europe have some places with religious gentrification too .

Pure economics. There are few black ppl in Scotland but I don’t use the term gentrification with racial undertones just saying it went from an area that was quite rough to a place where your pillar of Christianity did not matter (even worse Indians and Asians were treated terribly despite being hard working entrepreneurs) and the younger generation don’t care for all the bull … they just want to live peacefully and they work hard.

More sense of community and safety now.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-31-2023 at 08:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than mute cancer, who, of any consequence, wanted to get the out of dodge? I’ll save you the trouble of saying Stephen Jackson, since he isn’t of any consequence.
    Just because not every player gets on social media and voices their disdain like DJ and Stack have you can’t tell me there isn’t a certain undertone to what it means to play in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because not every player gets on social media and voices their disdain like DJ and Stack have you can’t tell me there isn’t a certain undertone to what it means to play in San Antonio.
    So, they’re discontented, but they stay. Sound like pretty much any employee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listen, I personally think San Antonio and most of Texas is pretty awesome. I’ve lived in 3 cities in my life; Glasgow, Scotland and Toronto/Vancouver, Canada. Young players who are making next level money see San Antonio as boring. Additionally, they have to deal with PATFO and their archaic ways so players that have opportunity elsewhere need a premium to be here.

A slight culture tweek could make more players want to be here. Especially when we are at the absolute bottom of the standings.
    I think this is an area where the Spurs could maybe learn something from UTSA Football. That program has done a good job attracting talented youth from a diverse range of places, from the country to the inner city. Granted, recruiting for collect is much different than attracting professional athletes, but maybe there is something to learn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, they’re discontented, but they stay. Sound like pretty much any employee.
    Except the good players aren’t just employees anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pure economics. There are few black ppl in Scotland but I don’t use the term gentrification with racial undertones just saying it went from an area that was quite rough to a place where your pillar of Catholicism did not matter (even worse Indians and Asians were treated terribly despite being hard working entrepreneurs) and the younger generation don’t care for all the bull … they just want to live peacefully and they work hard.

More sense of community and safety now.
    I lived in Glasgow for two years a decade ago. My wife is black and no one really batted an eye, other than her being more upscale maybe. Most black people you see might be refugees. Glasgow is a keen refugee city. We thought we might get flack for being interracial but no one gave a , unlike parts to the US.

What they DID give a about was your religion. Usually this was sussed out by asking what football team you followed. The two big Scottish teams are in Glasgow and one is heavily Catholic, one heavily Protestant. The joke was to say you followed Partick Thistle, which is neither (and sucks).

But really once they hear an American accent they love you. They love Americans, at least in my experience, in part unlike London they don't get many. I did have some neds, their term for kinda hooligans, come to to me wanting to start something to try my out, but as soon as they realized I was American they melted.

Anyway, it's a city with a troubled history but like said it's changed a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lived in Glasgow for two years a decade ago. My wife is black and no one really batted an eye, other than her being more upscale maybe. Most black people you see might be refugees. Glasgow is a keen refugee city. We thought we might get flack for being interracial but no one gave a , unlike parts to the US.

What they DID give a about was your religion. Usually this was sussed out by asking what football team you followed. The two big Scottish teams are in Glasgow and one is heavily Catholic, one heavily Protestant. The joke was to say you followed Partick Thistle, which is neither (and sucks).

But really once they hear an American accent they love you. They love Americans, at least in my experience, in part unlike London they don't get many. I did have some neds, their term for kinda hooligans, come to to me wanting to start something to try my out, but as soon as they realized I was American they melted.

The older generation is low key racist but more in their words than actions. Unfortunately in the rougher areas going for Chinese is still called a y and the convenience store if brown owned is called the pakis. This Christmas I went for a fade in a very rough part of town across from Ibrox (where Rangers play) after a day of shopping. He was a black english barber. I had bought my nephew some from the Celtic store earlier that day and had a Celtic shopping bag. Barber wouldn’t cut me for 100 quid. There was no amount of money for him to associate with me. Pure ignorance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cool. Good insight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The older generation is low key racist but more in their words than actions. Unfortunately in the rougher areas going for Chinese is still called a y and the convenience store if brown owned is called the pakis. This Christmas I went for a fade in a very rough part of town across from Ibrox (where Rangers play) after a day of shopping. He was a black english barber. I had bought my nephew some from the Celtic store earlier that day and had a Celtic shopping bag. Barber wouldn’t cut me for 100 quid. There was no amount of money for him to associate with me. Pure ignorance.
    Wait... You essentially came into the Crip neighborhood wearing Blood gear and there's a guy not wanting to cut your hair because of what people might do to him and you think he's weird?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just imagining a scenario where Lakers finish with the 7th worst record and lose it to New Orlean in their pick swap.

I'd be both giddy as about the obscene turn of events for the Lakers and horrified at how good the Pels could be with Wemby and Zion. Lakers are currently in 7th. And only 5 years ago a 7th seed got that pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait... You essentially came into the Crip neighborhood wearing Blood gear and there's a guy not wanting to cut your hair because of what people might do to him and you think he's weird?
    haha I was raised not to wear colours when I lived there but most areas just outside of city center don’t care about that stuff anymore so I was caught off guard.

That being said the barber who wouldn't line me up was like 5’5, 140 lbs. I wasn't worried.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been stuck inside with this winter storm the past 3 days and I've been catching up on highlight videos. Gradey has moved up considerably on my board...I really like what I'm seeing there. I'll be very curious to see his athletic testing numbers in a few months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been stuck inside with this winter storm the past 3 days and I've been catching up on highlight videos. Gradey has moved up considerably on my board...I really like what I'm seeing there. I'll be very curious to see his athletic testing numbers in a few months.
    Yeah, he looks good. Appreciate the reference.

Thread Information