Page 18 of 90 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoot first pg is a still a pg. It's in the name.

You can have pgs that score well. You can have sg that's pass well. It's okay. Those that are good at multiple things tend to be ....better basketball players.

It's not that deep as some people try to make it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing Presti's mindset, he doesn't go past OKC. Book it.
    If he can play ball now, Presti won’t touch him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    French, why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are just different types of PGs.. Some shooter, some more passer. Like for basically any position. Manu was a SG but more of a passer, then you have pure shooting guards. Jokic is a passing big, then you have stretch bigs...

Is there still any real position in today's NBA tbh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are just different types of PGs.. Some shooter, some more passer. Like for basically any position. Manu was a SG but more of a passer, then you have pure shooting guards. Jokic is a passing big, then you have stretch bigs...

Precisely. Tony was a shoot first PG, and had no trouble handling PG duties at an extremely successful level for a decade and a half. That refutes the point that a shot first PG isn't a PG, as stated by the poster to whom I replied to. Point being, I don't see why Scoot couldn't grow into that same role, given he'd be the same age as Tony was when he joined the Spurs. If the skills and the will are there, he'll make it work.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thought. Semi-trolling. Have people just stopped thinking about the fact that Victor is 7’4” and rail thin? To me, it’s actually too tall and historically prone to injury or disappointment. You get the number #1 obviously you take him and feel blessed that you don’t have to rationalize the Thomson Twins. But I could easily see Banchero, for devil’s advocate, having a longer and ultimately more successful career because he doesn’t get injured. , there’s probably an argument for trading the pick because teams would pay through the nose. Of course no GM is going to do that and it’s insane to do that, but I think the hype around Victor is so strong that I think it’s helpful to consider there is still some risk with him. The last Unicorn never even made it to training camp. Just spitballing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thought. Semi-trolling. Have people just stopped thinking about the fact that Victor is 7’4” and rail thin? To me, it’s actually too tall and historically prone to injury or disappointment. You get the number #1 obviously you take him and feel blessed that you don’t have to rationalize the Thomson Twins. But I could easily see Banchero, for devil’s advocate, having a longer and ultimately more successful career because he doesn’t get injured. , there’s probably an argument for trading the pick because teams would pay through the nose. Of course no GM is going to do that and it’s insane to do that, but I think the hype around Victor is so strong that I think it’s helpful to consider there is still some risk with him. The last Unicorn never even made it to training camp. Just spitballing.
    Those other 7’4” players were centers, and took all kinds of punishment in the paint.. Don’t play him at center. He’s a SF.

The best move is to get out of your own way, and don’t talk yourself out of a generational prospect. Portland passed on Michael Jordan because they already had Clyde Drexler. The Spurs aren’t tanking because they think this is a great draft, they’re tanking for Wemby, and they wouldn’t be doing that without information from Tony and Boris. Tony OWNS ASVEL, and would have access to medical info.
    Last edited by exstatic; 02-06-2023 at 04:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Some used to do it all. Back in the day Oscar Robinson's career stats averages were 25.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 9.5. Nate Archibald averaged 28 ppg in 71 and 34 ppg in 72. The scoring point guard has been around for a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some used to do it all. Back in the day Oscar Robinson's career stats averages were 25.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 9.5. Nate Archibald averaged 28 ppg in 71 and 34 ppg in 72. The scoring point guard has been around for a long time.
    That's back when one player was good enough to bring the ball up the court. It was a generation away from Bob Cousy blowing people's minds by dribbling with both hands.

Okay, I exaggerated. But we need to recognize a difference betwen a Tony Parker type who is there to stir the defense around and get it unsettled while attacking the paint. It was a PG version of Tim's post-ups, in a way -- packing the defense and getting kick-outs. Honestly I haven't seen Archibald or Robertson play. My sense is that they weren't 'shoot first' point guards. They were scorers, but this happened in the course of the offense.

Players like Marbury and Steve Francis changed things. Allen Iverson. They were looking to score first. If they drew attention they'd cough the ball up. Harden is sort of the apotheosis of this mold, pound the out of the ball, jack a three or drive and kick. Ugly as basketball.

That's my fear/read about Henderson. He's driving and attacking, which is cool, but he's high usage and isn't the point guard you'd get from Chris Paul or Mike Conley. He's going downhill because he's athletically dominant. Which is cool, but what a guy like Steph Curry does is get the offense stirring the way Parker did, if at different parts of the floor. In short, I don't see a Marbury PG. But Ignite isn't a place where you can get a read on any of this at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watch this and remember he's 7'4 (possibly 7'5 by NBA standards)... then you'll understand all that is irrelevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or at 00:00:33 here... (the full highlights actually)

https://www.nba.com/watch/video/vict...tor-wembanyama

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those other 7’4” players were centers, and took all kinds of punishment in the paint.. Don’t play him at center. He’s a SF.

The best move is to get out of your own way, and don’t talk yourself out of a generational prospect. Portland passed on Michael Jordan because they already had Clyde Drexler. The Spurs aren’t tanking because they think this is a great draft, they’re tanking for Wemby, and they wouldn’t be doing that without information from Tony and Boris. Tony OWNS ASVEL, and would have access to medical info.
    Shawn Bradley was 7’6 and sustained an incredibly durable career as a 5 banging in the paint in the heat era of bigs Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, Zo, Mutombo. even the 90’s PFs were basically bigs.

He did extensive off court workouts to gain size and strength. No reason a team can’t bring Welby is slowly and build his body up to be multi positional.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we do draft him Spurs need to bubble wrap him and definitely not throw him to the wolves - They need him to increase his core strength and add a few pounds and work on his flexibility which will all help protect him from potential injuries. And NO he should not be starting and getting major minutes bring him slow very SLOW and steady and either way we need another good tank the following year. With those two picks and the other future picks and with the improvement of some of our current players we will be back in the Game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tweak the culture. San Antonio is a 3rd rate US city but so is Cleveland, Utah, Detroit, Memphis maybe even Philly.

We don’t need to rebrand but obviously there is something not clicking.
    ? Please remind me of the big time free agents who have gone to Memphis etc…. Btw, what is 3 rate?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ? Please remind me of the big time free agents who have gone to Memphis etc…. Btw, what is 3 rate?
    3rd tier for most ppl’s minds regarding US cities with basketball teams:

- NY, Chicago, Boston, LA, Miami, San Fran
    - Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, Houston, NO (debatable)
    - third tier is basically every other NBA city

I’m not saying San Antonio is a bad city. I’ve applied to jobs in San Antonio (I’m Canadian) and think it is a nice quiet place that is very affordable with some cultural appeal but as a young athlete making ridiculous money the city itself coupled with the franchise culture doesn’t appeal to 75% of the NBA because they have better options.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need him to increase his core strength and add a few pounds and work on his flexibility which will all help protect him from potential injuries.
    Clearly you're not aware of the training he's receiving right now.

Tony OWNS ASVEL, and would have access to medical info.
    And Boris owns the Mets 92.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a thread devoted to players who are not Wembanyama or Henderson, we spend an awful lot of posts on Wembanyama and Henderson.

Anyway, I'm pretty intrigued by Anthony Black, for Arkansas. He just ripped Kentucky twice in the half court for full-court buckets. He made a superb pass when the ball was kicked to him at the top of the three-point line; without coming down, he whipped it to a guy under the basket. Great vision, nice motor. Not sure where I place him, probably late lottery or late top 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I really like Trayce Jackson-Davis. He has the appearance of one of those beasts who is good at college but it doesn't translate. A Drew Timme or Hunter enson (Michigan). But he's excellently athletic, rangy, cleans the boards on both ends and a great shot blocker. Really comparable to Brandon Clarke when he was at Gonzaga. Still can't shoot from distance, or doesn't try. He's projected by many as late 2nd round but I'd take him with our early 2nd round pick, easy. He's 23 but he's going to be what you want off the bench. Skilled, understands the game, way more athletic than Poeltl or Collins - although a good bit shorter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could definitely see us going for Anthony Black, even reaching for him. He has lots of qualities that seem to scream Spurs material.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shawn Bradley was 7’6 and sustained an incredibly durable career as a 5 banging in the paint in the heat era of bigs Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, Zo, Mutombo. even the 90’s PFs were basically bigs.

He did extensive off court workouts to gain size and strength. No reason a team can’t bring Welby is slowly and build his body up to be multi positional.
    However, Bradley was invigorated by Mormon Virgin Power, and so that makes it sort of difficult to compare him to other situations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I really like Trayce Jackson-Davis. He has the appearance of one of those beasts who is good at college but it doesn't translate. A Drew Timme or Hunter enson (Michigan). But he's excellently athletic, rangy, cleans the boards on both ends and a great shot blocker. Really comparable to Brandon Clarke when he was at Gonzaga. Still can't shoot from distance, or doesn't try. He's projected by many as late 2nd round but I'd take him with our early 2nd round pick, easy. He's 23 but he's going to be what you want off the bench. Skilled, understands the game, way more athletic than Poeltl or Collins - although a good bit shorter.
    Yeah been looking at high second rounders I definitely think they a few hidden gems in this draft even in the second round - The kid I like right now is AZUOLAS TUBELIS - a 6’11 PF, playing for Arizona he just a great basketball player he is almost averaging a double double every game so he gets you points and he gets you rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, Bradley was invigorated by Mormon Virgin Power, and so that makes it sort of difficult to compare him to other situations.
    I think I remember back then people explaining Bradley was fed with containers of bananas to gain weight. Good old days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a thread devoted to players who are not Wembanyama or Henderson, we spend an awful lot of posts on Wembanyama and Henderson.

Anyway, I'm pretty intrigued by Anthony Black, for Arkansas. He just ripped Kentucky twice in the half court for full-court buckets. He made a superb pass when the ball was kicked to him at the top of the three-point line; without coming down, he whipped it to a guy under the basket. Great vision, nice motor. Not sure where I place him, probably late lottery or late top 10.
    I've got him #10 on my board... he'd be a good fit here. If we were in a scenario where we ended up with #3 and traded back with Orlando for 2 lottery picks he'd be a guy we should target with one of those imo..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've got him #10 on my board... he'd be a good fit here. If we were in a scenario where we ended up with #3 and traded back with Orlando for 2 lottery picks he'd be a guy we should target with one of those imo..
    I would love like Gradey and Black at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love like Gradey and Black at this point.
    I've got Gradey at #8.... I may have him to low.... kids gonna have a long and successful career imo..

Thread Information