My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    This (combined with Poole's extension) likely means no money left for Dray or Klay extensions. Dray will opt out next season. Klay will leave in free agency in 2024. Lakers probably bid against themselves to sign both of them to massive contracts lol.
    Dray's offensive game has deteriorated over the years and Klay is no longer an elite defender. But I do think Klay will get his shot back. He will just be a really good pure spot shooter from now on. Basically a taller version of Kyle Korver and with a quicker release.
    Last edited by LeGiannis; 10-15-2022 at 05:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good move for both sides. Wiggins is thriving in GS and has become a solid 2 way player. He is going to be a very important piece to keeping that GS window open for another 3-5yrs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming he opts out, I think a 33 yr old Green will be surprised to see how dry the fa market is for an aging player of his particular skill set.

Best he can hope for is a 3yr 70-80 mil range.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Good move for both sides. Wiggins is thriving in GS and has become a solid 2 way player. He is going to be a very important piece to keeping that GS window open for another 3-5yrs.
    At least he earned his pay poole is flashier and may have more upside skill wise but the poole deal seems like a overpay in comparison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poole isn’t just flash, he’s an important part of their offense and his skills set is highly valued in modern basketball

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Poole isn’t just flash, he’s an important part of their offense and his skills set is highly valued in modern basketball
    I said he has more upside, skill wise. Poole stretches the floor better etc. Might be more impactful in the regular season. Last conference and NBA finals, Wiggins was extremely more effective, efficient and valuable to Golden state
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 10-19-2022 at 06:41 AM.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Poole is the type of player that teams feel more comfortable giving the bigger contract to. A young, really good if not great and potentially elite shooter with plus (not elite, but plus) handle and playmaking is a guy an offense can run through and be built around. He's not just a shooter. It's a similar contract to Herro's. Both really young guys coming off their rookie contracts.

Seems like a lot to give to secondary scorers. But it's not a max contract. And in a couple years, as long as they continue to develop and improve, when the salary cap continues to increase, their salaries will seem fair, maybe even a bargain if they develop into all star caliber players. Max players coming off their rookie contracts are making close to $40 million per now. $25 million per is now reserved for players like Terry Rozier, Anfernee Simons.

Poole and Herro might be getting an overpay. But it's not as big an overpay as it may appear to be initially. Teams have to project how inflation will change the salary cap landscape over the course of these contracts.

For Poole, I think it's a good contract for both sides.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Poole is the type of player that teams feel more comfortable giving the bigger contract to. A young, really good if not great and potentially elite shooter with plus (not elite, but plus) handle and playmaking is a guy an offense can run through and be built around. He's not just a shooter. It's a similar contract to Herro's. Both really young guys coming off their rookie contracts.

Seems like a lot to give to secondary scorers. But it's not a max contract. And in a couple years, as long as they continue to develop and improve, when the salary cap continues to increase, their salaries will seem fair, maybe even a bargain if they develop into all star caliber players. Max players coming off their rookie contracts are making close to $40 million per now. $25 million per is now reserved for players like Terry Rozier, Anfernee Simons.

Poole and Herro might be getting an overpay. But it's not as big an overpay as it may appear to be initially. Teams have to project how inflation will change the salary cap landscape over the course of these contracts.

For Poole, I think it's a good contract for both sides.
    Don’t disagree with any of this and I get some of it is projecting…
    But I can’t watch the Finals and feel like poole is better or more valuable than Wiggins.
    Credit to Poole agent bad job by Wiggins and that is who I was comparing his contract to not Herro or Simmons.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Don’t disagree with any of this and I get some of it is projecting…
    But I can’t watch the Finals and feel like poole is better or more valuable than Wiggins.
    Credit to Poole agent bad job by Wiggins and that is who I was comparing his contract to not Herro or Simmons.
    It's not really the best thing to make final evaluations based on a handful of games. Poole actually had a better overall statistical playoffs than Wiggins and in fewer minutes. Offense has always been more valued than defense when it comes to money. And while they are both scorers, Poole is also a ball handler and playmaker while Wiggins is more of a defender and secondary rebounder. Wiggins is a complementary offensive player. In today's game, Poole can be an offensive focal point. That's the difference I see.

And sometimes it's not simply who's a better or more important player. By the end of the season, Wiggins will have pocketed $170 million in career salary earnings. In comparison, Poole less than $10 million. Wiggins already got his bag. This is Poole's first big bag. Maybe Wiggins was also looking out for his little brother, which would be admirable. It's not like $109 million is a food stamps salary.

Thread Information