Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are typically cautious and share little with the media. (Pop has played with the media before, specifically with those ridiculous comments that George Hill was his favorite player on the team.)

They’ve traded good players in the last few seasons. They are accepting where they are and Pop now has the record so he seems ok with rebuilding with more young players.

In the end, I say they are as usual doing things their way, doing it slowly, not rushing into anything, and they are focusing on developing players which is Pop’s preseason statement, which is true, at least if you consider a 24 year old young.

As for Yak’s statement, it’s still possible he could be traded. Depends on the situation—he might even want to be traded if it helps him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are also players on our team that say they want to win (Vessel is on record saying this). I think if they keep playing well Pops going to give them that chance because they have earned it. Would be terrible to trade away key pieces after such a strong opening. What does that tell your players? We need a bigger sample size before making any big moves imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are overreacting both ways after a few games were the spurs could easily have lost all of them. So far, I see no reason to believe the spurs would be 3-1 in these matchups very often if we ran them back multiple times.

These wins are a fluke, they likely won't continue, and all the people acting like there wasn't a front office plan to tank can stop with their nonsense.

I'd after 20ish games the Spurs are still near .500 I'll reevaluate but nothing about these games makes me think anything other than this team has managed to ride a few hot quarter to some lucky wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are overreacting both ways after a few games were the spurs could easily have lost all of them. So far, I see no reason to believe the spurs would be 3-1 in these matchups very often if we ran them back multiple times.

These wins are a fluke, they likely won't continue, and all the people acting like there wasn't a front office plan to tank can stop with their nonsense.

I'd after 20ish games the Spurs are still near .500 I'll reevaluate but nothing about these games makes me think anything other than this team has managed to ride a few hot quarter to some lucky wins.
    LMAO

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking would be sitting JRich and McBuckets and playing Branham and Blake. Pop is still doing stuff his way. I’ll say it’s possible and likely Pop has acquiesced to Wright trying to trade and rebuild through the draft, but it’s clear after a few games that Pop is not outwardly, egregiously tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think you are underestimating how bad the league is right now. If the Spurs and the Lakers were to play tomorrow I would put my money on San Antonio, tbh. Also, this team only lost Murray and added Sochan. If anything, the positions fit better this season. We were playing Primo instead of Sochan last season, huge improvement, tbh. I think you are in for a rude awakening if you think that, as currently constructed, we are going to do much worse than last season.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm going the other way. Let's say every game had gone exactly the opposite. The Spurs:

• coast to an easy wire-to-wire win over the Hornets without LaMelo
    • get dominated for most of the game against Indiana before a gimmicky and furious comeback that falls just short
    • play the Sixers close for three quarters but the Sixers pull away in the last 8 minutes
    • get embarrassed by Minnesota for most of the game, falling behind by 35 early in the 4th before getting hot and still not being within single digits until under a minute left

That would look like the team many of us expected, except maybe the first game (and even then, bad teams do win sometimes).

I don't think fluke teams are very likely to hold double digit leads late in the 4th quarter of three consecutive road games, two against teams that were supposed to be good.

I'm not trying to say this Spurs team will win 36 and threaten for a play-in spot. But even not withstanding the three wins the Spurs already have, what we have seen so far is more indicative of a 30 win team than a 20 win team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    honestly if tanking was Pop's intention, dont think he will come back for this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea,barring an injury this team isnt going to just collapse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you are underestimating how bad the league is right now. If the Spurs and the Lakers were to play tomorrow I would put my money on San Antonio, tbh. Also, this team only lost Murray and added Sochan. If anything, the positions fit better this season. We were playing Primo instead of Sochan last season, huge improvement, tbh. I think you are in for a rude awakening if you think that, as currently constructed, we are going to do much worse than last season.
    Don’t forget, we also off loaded net negative LW IV. That’s a clear case of addition by subtraction. This team is better than last years, especially defensively, and that team won 34 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ the synergy is a lot better. I didn’t see DJM hanging out with these guys. But this group has been seen hanging out, going to Austin games, reminiscent of the Coffee Gang. And that helps too, everybody on board. Come to think of it, I don’t see any odd-ball to be considered outcast in this group.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still say you need some established players out there to develop unestablished players properly.

It's not 2k where mins = exp in a locked in rate. Real life these kids have nerves and confidence issues. You have to surround them with some plus guys to put them in good situations for them to blossom.

Like muscles need bones or it is just a sack of meat.

A bunch of rookies just let loose is gonna stunt growth and clip down ceilings. They would be falling over each other and getting frustrated.

I'm sure by the deadline SA will know more about who's ready to take over but let the new guys have a bit more sturdy framework to operate within first so what they're trying to learn gets settled in correctly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy Sochan is not a rookie bbiq wise! This man will be pretty special!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget, we also off loaded net negative LW IV. That’s a clear case of addition by subtraction. This team is better than last years, especially defensively, and that team won 34 games.
    This is unfortunately a spot-on take. We are not gonna be in the bottom 4 teams, save a trade of Richardson/Poeltl or series of injuries to our wings and Sochan. We also surprisingly have a decent amount of talent and depth on the bench.

The summer league and that first game really fooled me though I must admit. I really underrated our talent. And of course we didn't get to see Sochan until our first game but it's now clear he's gonna be a stud for us. Probably even an all-star sooner than later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A TON of shifting around to come... but it's hard to see the Spurs being as bad as Houston, Sacramento, Detroit, Oklahoma City and Orlando look so far. Funny enough, all of those were top pickers in last year's draft. Indiana also doesn't look great. Charlotte has looked better than expected, etc.

Point is, I doubt the Spurs come close to a bottom 4 record. Their coach is too good and they play too hard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We draft well…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team has to many good players to be below some of these bottom teams but they are not good enough to be among the elites. Sadly that puts us right in the middle and that's probably the worst place to be in for a sports franchise.

If san antonio were a desirable free agent agent destination then it might not be so critical as we get to pick and chose which top tier free agents come and go but that's just not the case here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team has to many good players to be below some of these bottom teams but they are not good enough to be among the elites. Sadly that puts us right in the middle and that's probably the worst place to be in for a sports franchise.

If san antonio were a desirable free agent agent destination then it might not be so critical as we get to pick and chose which top tier free agents come and go but that's just not the case here
    I'd somewhat agree with the treadmill concerns if the team didn't have 14 players under 25 and four of them only 19. They have a lot of players who haven't reached their potential yet at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In 2-3 years if Spurs keep the current roster and continually improving, adding 2-3 veterans on the 3rd year, I think they contend. I’m saying this because already they play so well, granted it’s a small sample size. The Beautiful Game didn’t have Tier 1 players, but had to rely on team execution. Already this team of 19-22 years old are executing very well. Pop knows it’s a shot to the moon to get Tier 1, through draft and even less through free agency. But the Beautiful Game proved you don’t need a tier 1. Maybe 2-3 AS caliber hopefully in Keldon, Devin and Sochan, and a set of solid unselfish role players.

It’s still a long wayyyy to go. But if they continue, Beautiful Game 2 baby. Not impossible.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will be a bottom two or three team.

A top two or three draft pick will still be the end result of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will be a bottom two or three team.

A top two or three draft pick will still be the end result of the season.
    Fingers crossed.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2-3 years if Spurs keep the current roster and continually improving, adding 2-3 veterans on the 3rd year, I think they contend. I’m saying this because already they play so well, granted it’s a small sample size. The Beautiful Game didn’t have Tier 1 players, but had to rely on team execution. Already this team of 19-22 years old are executing very well. Pop knows it’s a shot to the moon to get Tier 1, through draft and even less through free agency. But the Beautiful Game proved you don’t need a tier 1. Maybe 2-3 AS caliber hopefully in Keldon, Devin and Sochan, and a set of solid unselfish role players.

It’s still a long wayyyy to go. But if they continue, Beautiful Game 2 baby. Not impossible.
    The over reaction to a couple of early season wins in here is ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The over reaction to a couple of early season wins in here is ridiculous.
    I said a long wayyy to go. But if they continue, in 2-3 years they contend. I don’t think that’s over reacting. This is more a statement that it is NOT necessary to have a tier 1 player as Beautiful Game proved. I said 2-3 AS caliber players hopefully Keldon, Devin and Sochan plus solid unselfish role players would get you there. I’m stating that it is possible that Spurs don’t necessarily tank for Victor/Scoot which the odds is too high, getting the pick, on top of them taking us to the championship, etc vs continually developing this current roster and empowering them with W’s.

I didn’t say they’re comparable to Beautiful Game now, but it is a more realistic path to build them into a Beautiful Game 2, again in 2-3 years.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said a long wayyy to go. But if they continue, in 2-3 years they contend. I don’t think that’s over reacting. This is more a statement that it is NOT necessary to have a tier 1 player as Beautiful Game proved. I said 2-3 AS caliber players hopefully Keldon, Devin and Sochan plus solid unselfish role players would get you there. I’m stating that it is possible that Spurs don’t necessarily tank for Victor/Scoot which the odds is too high, getting the pick, on top of them taking us to the championship, etc vs continually developing this current roster and empowering them with W’s.

I didn’t say they’re comparable to Beautiful Game now, but it is a more realistic path to build them into a Beautiful Game 2, again in 2-3 years.
    The bottom line is that this group plays team ball. If they land a decent player in the next draft this team could easily package a few picks for an impactful veteran and become a playoff team after next offseason.

If the money is right I don’t hate the idea of keeping poodle. It’s not like he’s 31-32 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's all this talk about the beatiful game not having a tier 1 player. They had 4 Hall of famers.

Sure, 3 of them weren't in their primes but still, they are special players. You need top talent to win in the NBA. Adding another mid talent to the core of Keldon and Vassell isn't going to get it done, tbh.

Thread Information