Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's all this talk about the beatiful game not having a tier 1 player. They had 4 Hall of famers.

Sure, 3 of them weren't in their primes but still, they are special players. You need top talent to win in the NBA. Adding another mid talent to the core of Keldon and Vassell isn't going to get it done, tbh.
    LOL no . Not just four HOF'ers but also role players like Diaw and Splitter that were elite passers. Plus that team had arguably the two best wing defensive players in the league too. Beautiful Game featured a monumentally stacked roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bottom line is that this group plays team ball. If they land a decent player in the next draft this team could easily package a few picks for an impactful veteran and become a playoff team after next offseason.

If the money is right I don’t hate the idea of keeping poodle. It’s not like he’s 31-32 years old.
    They just got off the treadmill they've been on the past half decade. There's no need to overreact to a handful of games (even in the hypothetical that it somehow maintains) and get back on.

Do this right, hope to get lucky for 1-2 years and this could, if not turn fast, at least look more promising than it has in some time.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said a long wayyy to go. But if they continue, in 2-3 years they contend. I don’t think that’s over reacting. This is more a statement that it is NOT necessary to have a tier 1 player as Beautiful Game proved. I said 2-3 AS caliber players hopefully Keldon, Devin and Sochan plus solid unselfish role players would get you there. I’m stating that it is possible that Spurs don’t necessarily tank for Victor/Scoot which the odds is too high, getting the pick, on top of them taking us to the championship, etc vs continually developing this current roster and empowering them with W’s.

I didn’t say they’re comparable to Beautiful Game now, but it is a more realistic path to build them into a Beautiful Game 2, again in 2-3 years.
    Yes it is. It's an over reaction to three regular season wins in the first week of the season. They won't be a contending team without adding a top tier all star level player or two to the current roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's all this talk about the beatiful game not having a tier 1 player. They had 4 Hall of famers.

Sure, 3 of them weren't in their primes but still, they are special players. You need top talent to win in the NBA. Adding another mid talent to the core of Keldon and Vassell isn't going to get it done, tbh.
    I was about to say the same thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said a long wayyy to go. But if they continue, in 2-3 years they contend. I don’t think that’s over reacting. This is more a statement that it is NOT necessary to have a tier 1 player as Beautiful Game proved. I said 2-3 AS caliber players hopefully Keldon, Devin and Sochan plus solid unselfish role players would get you there. I’m stating that it is possible that Spurs don’t necessarily tank for Victor/Scoot which the odds is too high, getting the pick, on top of them taking us to the championship, etc vs continually developing this current roster and empowering them with W’s.

I didn’t say they’re comparable to Beautiful Game now, but it is a more realistic path to build them into a Beautiful Game 2, again in 2-3 years.
    No they don't contend without a game changer or two on offense. Could at least one of those be Sochan if he develops his outside shot? Yes. Or Primo if he isnt a PG? Yes. Not sure that happens though. But we need at least 1 more. And further defensive improvement from the point.

We probably need a top level PG too. Aside from that, we might be ok at the 2-4, maybe 2-5 if Poeltl learns how to shoot FTs.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it is. It's an over reaction to three regular season wins in the first week of the season. They won't be a contending team without adding a top tier all star level player or two to the current roster.
    I don't think anyone denied this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No they don't contend without a game changer or two on offense. Could at least one of those be Sochan if he develops his outside shot? Yes. Or Primo if he isnt a PG? Yes. Not sure that happens though. But we need at least 1 more. And further defensive improvement from the point.

We probably need a top level PG too. Aside from that, we might be ok at the 2-4, maybe 2-5 if Poeltl learns how to shoot FTs.
    if we get Scoot, keep Poeltl and you got a nice starting 5. If we get Wembanyama we need a PG. If we get neither, we will have too many forwards on the team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most people here expect development from the young guys and are excited to see them do well.
    most people here also want the Spurs to finish at the bottom to get a good draft pick.

you cannot outtank some of the other teams with the current roster. those guys are young and eager to get better and have enough potential to do that to a certain level. as i said before, the team is too good right now to be able to trigger a full rebuild in the next year, unless they really tear it down first. but that requires Keldon and Vassel to be traded first (in addition to Rich and Poeltl).

the alternative would have been to send all the new picks to the G-League for a year, shut down good guys with phony injuries, and play same washed up vets who don't care if they are told to lose as long as they get paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we get Scoot, keep Poeltl and you got a nice starting 5. If we get Wembanyama we need a PG. If we get neither, we will have too many forwards on the team.
    Nick Smith tbh.

But this team is still in no position to pass up talent at any position because of fit. They need blue chip prospects, period.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I would be on clown 9 if we were to fall into pick 1 or 2 - But I still would be Very Happy to pick up
    Last edited by BackHome; 10-28-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I would be on clown 9 if we were to fall into pick 1 or 2 - But I still would be Very Happy to pick up

Amen Thompson- 6’7 PG
    Cason Wallace - 6’4 PG
    Nick Smith 6’4 - If he plays point this year

Cam Whitmore - 6’6 G
    Dillon Mitc - 6’7 G

Gregory Jackson 6’9 - Kid is only 17 love those growth plates

Derick Lively - 7’1 C
    Kel’el Ware - 7’0
    My 3 Sleepers
    Leonard Miller - 6’11 SF
    Brandon Miller - 6’9 SF
    Jordan Walsh - 6’7 - Dude arm length is 7’3 - Wow

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most people here expect development from the young guys and are excited to see them do well.
    most people here also want the Spurs to finish at the bottom to get a good draft pick.

you cannot outtank some of the other teams with the current roster. those guys are young and eager to get better and have enough potential to do that to a certain level. as i said before, the team is too good right now to be able to trigger a full rebuild in the next year, unless they really tear it down first. but that requires Keldon and Vassel to be traded first (in addition to Rich and Poeltl).

the alternative would have been to send all the new picks to the G-League for a year, shut down good guys with phony injuries, and play same washed up vets who don't care if they are told to lose as long as they get paid.
    All you really need to do is play full strength against the top tier teams (experience)
    & rest 2 starters (any reason) against the tanking teams (to both give us a loss AND give them a win)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you really need to do is play full strength against the top tier teams (experience)
    & rest 2 starters (any reason) against the tanking teams (to both give us a loss AND give them a win)
    and at the end of the year don’t win games where the opposing team’s best player is Drew Eubanks and you are full steam.

Swallow your damn pride for 10-15 games for a shot at 10-15 years of relevancy.
    Last edited by KingKev; 10-28-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and at the end of the year don’t win games where the opposing team’s best player is Drew Eubanks and you are full steam.

Swallow your damn pride for 10-15 fames for a shot at 10-15 years of relevancy
    Facts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and this has been mentioned elsewhere but against tanking teams let guys like Romeo, Wesley, Branham have the keys. If we win we developed our guys. If we lose we still developed our guys.

I think PATFO will have the right mind state down the stretch given their recent humility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put some respect into Drew Eubanks name Portland is 4 and 1 and Drew is averaging 13 minutes a game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put some respect into Drew Eubanks name Portland is 4 and 1 and Drew is averaging 13 minutes a game
    and Eubanks helped them get Shaedon Sharpe who looks pretty decent to start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want to miss on a top 3 pick for the play-in again Not in this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have better value towards trade deadline, where teams are trying to make the final push and needing those Vets. And I don’t mind that they’re presence provide some compe iveness where our young can excel better. But yup if Jak would demand north of 25mil per year, sayonara Mr Poeltl.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have better value towards trade deadline, where teams are trying to make the final push and needing those Vets. And I don’t mind that they’re presence provide some compe iveness where our young can excel better. But yup if Jak would demand north of 25mil per year, sayonara Mr Poeltl.
    I agree with one exception...the Lakers...they have more value now because they can't wait until the deadline to make a move...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want to miss on a top 3 pick for the play-in again Not in this draft.
    And how do you plan on getting a top3 pick with ters like Houston, Orlando, Pistons, Hornets and OKC?
    Do you ruin a year of development for all of the young guys by sitting them out game after game?

As for Poeltl, trading him would be just stupid unless we can get 2 FRPs. He's a perfect fit for the roster.
    JRich and McDermott should go before the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how do you plan on getting a top3 pick with ters like Houston, Orlando, Pistons, Hornets and OKC?
    Do you ruin a year of development for all of the young guys by sitting them out game after game?

As for Poeltl, trading him would be just stupid unless we can get 2 FRPs. He's a perfect fit for the roster.
    JRich and McDermott should go before the deadline.
    I agree. But how much are you willing to pay for a Center who you cannot play in the 4th quarter?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. But how much are you willing to pay for a Center who you cannot play in the 4th quarter?
    With the cap rising, I'd say anything between 18 and 20 would be fine. Add bonuses for FT% or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade him for a good offer, but Spurs shouldn't be actively looking to trade him.

Tbh, come the draft we'll have all the answers.
    We'll know if Keldon, Devin or anyone will develop into something more than expected. We'll know which pick we are getting and the situation of some potential targets.
    At some point we'll have more picks than roster slots and it will be time for a trade.
    If we can't land Scoot or some other potential star PG (I don't really follow college stuff), then we'll have to trade for one. Assuming Devin-Keldon-Sochan develop well and are guaranteed starters.
    Right now SGA is a pipe dream, but eventually he'll want to win some games and tanking year after year in Okhlahoma isn't exactly what an aspiring star player wants to do.
    If he ever became available, I'd gladly trade a lot of picks for him.

Unless we can get an MVP level big, they're not worth it in this league anymore. The focus should be on a potentially star playmaker. KAT will probably be available soon because Wolves are a dumpster fire yet again, but he'll be on a massive contract and definitely not worth it.
    If KAT is worth 60 a year, Ayton 35, then Jakob is definitely worth 20 to 22. If only he could get that FT% above 60%.

Right now we should just have fun watching everyone develop. I'd like to get Victor as much as everyone else, but chances of that happening would be very low, even if we get a top3 worst record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the cap rising, I'd say anything between 18 and 20 would be fine. Add bonuses for FT% or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade him for a good offer, but Spurs shouldn't be actively looking to trade him.

Tbh, come the draft we'll have all the answers.
    We'll know if Keldon, Devin or anyone will develop into something more than expected. We'll know which pick we are getting and the situation of some potential targets.
    At some point we'll have more picks than roster slots and it will be time for a trade.
    If we can't land Scoot or some other potential star PG (I don't really follow college stuff), then we'll have to trade for one. Assuming Devin-Keldon-Sochan develop well and are guaranteed starters.
    Right now SGA is a pipe dream, but eventually he'll want to win some games and tanking year after year in Okhlahoma isn't exactly what an aspiring star player wants to do.
    If he ever became available, I'd gladly trade a lot of picks for him.

Unless we can get an MVP level big, they're not worth it in this league anymore. The focus should be on a potentially star playmaker. KAT will probably be available soon because Wolves are a dumpster fire yet again, but he'll be on a massive contract and definitely not worth it.
    If KAT is worth 60 a year, Ayton 35, then Jakob is definitely worth 20 to 22. If only he could get that FT% above 60%.

Right now we should just have fun watching everyone develop. I'd like to get Victor as much as everyone else, but chances of that happening would be very low, even if we get a top3 worst record.
    SGA is massively overrated on this board. I’d put him in the same category as Fox and DJ, guys who will hover right around All Star level for a period of years, get picked a few times,but not a guy you can build a franchise around.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SGA is massively overrated on this board. I’d put him in the same category as Fox and DJ, guys who will hover right around All Star level for a period of years, get picked a few times,but not a guy you can build a franchise around.
    I just think that he'd fit perfectly alongside Devin and Keldon.
    The main premise is for two of them to develop into 25ppg scorers with solid defense, then we'll be onto something.

We can forget about getting an MVP level player, unless we draft one.

Thread Information