For 's sake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Devin haters out trick or treating? I thought not….. these dudes are way to emotional��

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not while the Spurs still lead their division.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Showcasing for those precious FRP’s. To add to that GH Trade return, plus start of Derrick White-trade dividends

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin was totally off on Wednesday night, but thankfully has figured some stuff out.

Will the Spurs make a run at the playoffs? Probably not, but at least some guys are improving with a bigger role.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin was totally off on Wednesday night, but thankfully has figured some stuff out.

Will the Spurs make a run at the playoffs? Probably not, but at least some guys are improving with a bigger role.
    Please say this louder!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we're getting some good offers for these guys. McDermott too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s early. Have to wait about 15-20 games or so for teams to start panicking, though, if I’m Philly im getting anxious sooner than that if this keeps up.

I’m keeping Chicago, Philly, Lakers, and Suns in my sights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading the vets has always been presumptive from the beginning. They traded one starter and we all expect the rest of the roster to be blown up? There’s value in having vets as much as fans want to deny it or not. And that’s not speaking to if they deserve ingame minutes, but in their locker room presence. It’s foolishness to think that if they do get traded that we won’t get any vets back. An organization that has always had older players teach and lead by example will continue to have those kind of players whether they’re tanking or not.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe let's trade our good vets, get back worse vets plus picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The future won't be decided by getting one or two more late FRPs, the important picks going forward are the Spurs own.

Simply trading every vet for anything isn't going to be that important, it's a viable strategy for sure but ultimately the most important thing is player development and for that the young guys need structure around them and to be put in good positions. Constant blowout losses Sixers style won't help, it'd be a year lost for the young guys. This is why some good vets have value to the team even if they don't bring back some late pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with it!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs weren't tanking. They were pruning. That they are basically the same level of team despite losing three All-Stars speaks tremendously to the growth of their players. That people are so upset about the young guys playing well on a team with loads of picks and cap space is annoying. I'm down with the Spurs drafting a star if they have the opportunity, but the point of being bad is supposed to be get good young players, and they seem to have those while still having plenty of prospects to work on. I get the idea that the Spurs lack a superstar but a) They may not get a top-2 pick regardless of how bad they are b) That player (especially Wemby) might not stay healthy or develop and c) Even if those things happen, that player may not want to stay with the Spurs by the time they're good enough to take advantage. Also d) By the time that player develops, the core folks want to be around for them may have moved on. If you have the opportunity, take it. But I would like to see them have multiple options open.

For folks who fall back on the "treadmill" retort: Life is a treadmill. We're born, live and die, no matter what we accomplish. If you don't think that, it's because you've assigned meaning to your existence. You can do the same thing to your sports entertainment. It's only championship or bust if you disregard the majority of the season and don't particularly care about watching good basketball. Pissing that away chasing after the chance of delayed gratification sucks. For some folks, this will be the last season they ever see. They'll never know if the Spurs find their star or turn things around. I can't ride with the idea of purposefully not enjoying entertaining things in hopes you'll be more entertained later. Saving up to buy a house? Sure. Dieting to get your health back in order? Understandable. Being mad that your team won a quality game? Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading the vets has always been presumptive from the beginning. They traded one starter and we all expect the rest of the roster to be blown up? There’s value in having vets as much as fans want to deny it or not. And that’s not speaking to if they deserve ingame minutes, but in their locker room presence. It’s foolishness to think that if they do get traded that we won’t get any vets back. An organization that has always had older players teach and lead by example will continue to have those kind of players whether they’re tanking or not.
    And who's talking about having or not having vets? I don't care if we bring in vets, as long as they aren't as good as the ones we have. Poeltl is a top center in the league, him alone can keep you from being a bottom 3 team in the league, which is we should be aiming for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The future won't be decided by getting one or two more late FRPs, the important picks going forward are the Spurs own.

Simply trading every vet for anything isn't going to be that important, it's a viable strategy for sure but ultimately the most important thing is player development and for that the young guys need structure around them and to be put in good positions. Constant blowout losses Sixers style won't help, it'd be a year lost for the young guys. This is why some good vets have value to the team even if they don't bring back some late pick.
    That's exactly why we should be trading away our good vets. This upcoming draft have two of the most promising prospects since Lebron. If there's a year to tank, it is this one and Poeltl and J-Rich might prevent us from doing that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs really should be looking for a multi player trade if possible, If not single player trades would work . Yak, Jrich, McDermott, and even possible Tre to a lesser extent. These guys do not fit the window and They really need to start chosing a plan and what direction they want to go in and not just try things out hoping something sticks or else we are not going anywhere up or down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't know that. The next centerpiece could come from anywhere which is why the more bites at the apple the better.

The Spurs weren't tanking. They were pruning. That they are basically the same level of team despite losing three All-Stars speaks tremendously to the growth of their players. That people are so upset about the young guys playing well on a team with loads of picks and cap space is annoying. I'm down with the Spurs drafting a star if they have the opportunity, but the point of being bad is supposed to be get good young players, and they seem to have those while still having plenty of prospects to work on. I get the idea that the Spurs lack a superstar but a) They may not get a top-2 pick regardless of how bad they are b) That player (especially Wemby) might not stay healthy or develop and c) Even if those things happen, that player may not want to stay with the Spurs by the time they're good enough to take advantage. Also d) By the time that player develops, the core folks want to be around for them may have moved on. If you have the opportunity, take it. But I would like to see them have multiple options open.
    You just like to be contrarian (though unintentional, I often end up being the same), convolute and reverse engineer things.

When you haven't had a centerpiece in a half decade, whether you like it or not, the point of being bad is simple: to get as good of odds as possible to get that player.

Not to get "good, young players", which no one should doubt there or any other team's ability to do, especially with talent at an all-time high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have remained reasonably compe ive for years now. This is not a Sacramento Kings situation where we have established a losing cutlure for years. It just has to be this one. Tank just this year to get a 50/50 chance at getting one of the 2 generational talents availabe and you can begin next season planning to win again.
    Last edited by DAF86; 10-23-2022 at 11:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly why we should be trading away our good vets. This upcoming draft have two of the most promising prospects since Lebron. If there's a year to tank, it is this one and Poeltl and J-Rich might prevent us from doing that.
    You're not wrong, but I don't think Poeltl and JRich are the difference between being bottom 3 and say a play-in team. If there are such players on the roster they're Keldon and Vassell. The vets help the team being somewhat compe ive and have a structure that would allow the younger guys to have the ball and develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be funny if we missed being on the bottom 3 by a game or 2. Wait...no it wouldn't

I just don't think some are grasping at how compe ive the tanking scene is going to be this season. It's going to be just as compe ive as trying to compete for a championship as I'm seeing it. There are already teams gunning for those spots and due to injuries more teams might join the tank athon.
    Last edited by Chomag; 10-23-2022 at 11:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not wrong, but I don't think Poeltl and JRich are the difference between being bottom 3 and say a play-in team. If there are such players on the roster they're Keldon and Vassell. The vets help the team being somewhat compe ive and have a structure that would allow the younger guys to have the ball and develop.
    Trade Poeltl, JRich and McDermott and repleace them with Barlow, Branham and Wesley and all these meaningless wins turn into L's. It is the difference between the 10th seed and a top 3 draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot how delicious DAF's tears are every season, no matter what.

Team winning: we should be tanking

Team losing: wtf is wrong with this roster and Pop

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Poeltl, JRich and McDermott and repleace them with Barlow, Branham and Wesley and all these meaningless wins turn into L's. It is the difference between the 10th seed and a top 3 draft pick.
    They want the L’s but as soon as that happens we’ll have to constantly be hearing how Bran and Wes are busts and the FO can’t draft.

That’ll be far more annoying than these threads about wanting to trade our vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just like to be contrarian (though unintentional, I often end up being the same), convolute and reverse engineer things.
    No. I don't just like to be a contrarian. My stance on what the Spurs should do hasn't changed. I don't want the Spurs to tank. I never have outside of a "stealth tank" scenario a few years ago where the Spurs had a decent core but could've leaned into injuries to get a lotto pick to grab a guy or trade to go with Aldridge, DeRozan and Gay.

As far as what I mean by "pruning", I'm talking about the team wanting to build the team around a certain kind of player and style and wanting that to grow. They didn't trade Murray strictly to be bad, just like they didn't let DeRozan walk to be bad, just like they didn't bench Aldridge in 2020 to be bad. I think them trading White was hasty, but them trading Murray was something you and I had believed needed to happen for a while now. Whatever sources timvp has were sure Poeltl was going to be traded no matter what and that the team was trying to go into a free fall. Poeltl on the other hand said the team told him they had no intention to trade him. It's stuff like that that gave people the impression the Spurs were tanking and are just failing at it. The reality seems more that they're trying to develop guys without really caring if they win or not. Those are different things. I wouldn't sweat that difference, but one is causing stress to some fans on here.

When you haven't had a centerpiece in a half decade, whether you like it or not, the point of being bad is simple: to get as good of odds as possible to get that player.

Not to get "good, young players", which no one should doubt there or any other team's ability to do, especially with talent at an all-time high.
    No. The hope of being bad is to draft a center piece. The point is to draft good young players. Good players matter. They're the support structure to teams. They are trade capital. They're recruitment facilitators. I'm not even going to get into how stars are found all over the draft or how flattened lottery odds make winning some games not a big deal. We've already been over all that.

I think you and some other fans have a relatively specific idea of how a team needs to be built. That's a valid idea, but I don't think the Spurs agree with that. A lot of folks are annoyed because they believed or maybe even still believe PATFO has "finally" decided to try things their way and are coming to realization that, nope, the Spurs are still doing what they did last year. They're just further along in the process.

Thread Information