Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice to see Blake Wesley hanging with the fellas(and Bassey)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice to see Blake Wesley hanging with the fellas(and Bassey)
    Is that Bassey for real??? Might just be the perspective, but doesn't Bassey look at least as tall as Poertl and even heavier???
    Last edited by wildbill2u; 11-11-2022 at 06:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was guessing it is because he is taller than Roby. Growth plates baby!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey just might be the dark horse this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sir Charles Bassey, the new darling of ST. Just days ago they were happy with Jak who finally found a defensive pf beside him. What do you say my friend Sugus?
    If ST thinks he's good, then oh boy, get him away from the team! :P

Jokes aside, I'm watching him play for the first time tonight. Haven't been able to catch too many games. And funny enough, he popped right off the screen, to the point where I looked up who the #28 on the Spurs was. Very, very interesting player. I don't really see him overlapping with Jakob too much (I don't know his measurables but he seems a bit shorter, and less lengthy than Jakob is, and also probably never as good on D). I really like his high-motor play and hustle: there's always a place on the team for players like that.

I also like his very emphatic blocks tbh. He had like, 2 or 3 volleyball-style es tonight. That energy is amazing and infectious: tone-setting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's more enjoyable to watch than Eubanks was, that's for sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we had drafted Jalen Duran at 9 and he was giving us everything Bassey is right now, how would we be feeling?

I ask this question because while we are all loving what we are seeing out of him... there is some "let's wait and see" out there. I'd argue that while he doesn't have the measurables or athleticism as Duren, his production can match up with what we would have hoped out of him as a lottery pick. Did we essentially pick up a bonus lottery pick for free?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far this season Per36:

Duren: 12.7ppg, 11.2rpg, 0.6apg, 0.4spg, 2.4bpg, .556 fg%, .000 3p%
    Bassey: 18.0ppg, 14.7rpg, 2.5apg, 2.5spg, 3.3bpg, .615fg%, .333 3p%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is the real deal

when was the last undrafted star

Isaiah Thomas?

Half joking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is the real deal

when was the last undrafted star

Isaiah Thomas?

Half joking
    He was drafted at the end of the 2nd by the Sixers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bassey will dethrone Poeltl’s starting position next year and become our franchise C tbh

give the guy the max

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    14 boards and 4 blocks in 18 minutes is ridiculous production. ty opponent or not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We finally got a guy who can block and rebound

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man this is awesome, he’s the athletic big I’ve always wanted wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far this season Per36:

Duren: 12.7ppg, 11.2rpg, 0.6apg, 0.4spg, 2.4bpg, .556 fg%, .000 3p%
    Bassey: 18.0ppg, 14.7rpg, 2.5apg, 2.5spg, 3.3bpg, .615fg%, .333 3p%
    At first I was resistant to this comparison. Duren is three years younger and the youngest guy in this draft. I like him, from what I've seen. But they are both undersized and might have similar games. I think Bassey might have more vertical pop, to be honest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bassey will dethrone Poeltl’s starting position next year and become our franchise C tbh

give the guy the max
    Lmao insane stat line in 18 minutes in the NBA on a 2 way contract. Even looked confident shooting the three. Kid just has a knack for the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 18 mins is really surprising, he closed the 2nd and 4th quarters. Pop is starting to do some things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should go ahead and convert this to a team friendly 3 year deal if they can…

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Screw 2-way, it needs to be at least 2 years fully guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If ST thinks he's good, then oh boy, get him away from the team! :P

Jokes aside, I'm watching him play for the first time tonight. Haven't been able to catch too many games. And funny enough, he popped right off the screen, to the point where I looked up who the #28 on the Spurs was. Very, very interesting player. I don't really see him overlapping with Jakob too much (I don't know his measurables but he seems a bit shorter, and less lengthy than Jakob is, and also probably never as good on D). I really like his high-motor play and hustle: there's always a place on the team for players like that.

I also like his very emphatic blocks tbh. He had like, 2 or 3 volleyball-style es tonight. That energy is amazing and infectious: tone-setting.
    Read up his tearjerker story. He was discovered by a basketball coach in the street of Nigeria selling fried chicken in flip flops too small for his 6’1 frame at 12 yrs old. He left soccer and started playing basketball. He was brought here in the states but when his dad died when he was 14, he made the hard decision on staying. Sounds a whole lot like Giannis? Picked up as a two-way player? Man, Pop is a sucker for that kind of story Well I think he’s a good kid and hungry. I’m happy for him.

The thing about him is he fights for positions against Steven Adams the other night, and tonight against Ibaka and Lopez and not shy about it. He has a great feel for the game, rolling hard and always looking for a rebound. He’s nimble enough to cover guards and can shoot from long range. It’s early but I so far I like what I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read up his tearjerker story. He was discovered by a basketball coach in the street of Nigeria selling fried chicken in flip flops too small for his 6’1 frame at 12 yrs old. He left soccer and started playing basketball. He was brought here in the states but when his dad died when he was 14, he made the hard decision on staying. Sounds a whole lot like Giannis? Picked up as a two-way player? Man, Pop is a sucker for that kind of story Well I think he’s a good kid and hungry. I’m happy for him.

The thing about him is he fights for positions against Steven Adams the other night, and tonight against Ibaka and Lopez and not shy about it. He has a great feel for the game, rolling hard and always looking for a rebound. He’s nimble enough to cover guards and can shoot from long range. It’s early but I so far I like what I see.
    Well, part of his story is also being involved in a massing HS recruiting scandal… but I think he really is a good kid. Let’s get him on a long term deal stat!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the guy averages 6.8 PPG 8 rebounds 2 blocks 0.8 steals and 1.8 assists in 15.5 minutes, That's insane. That's 18.6 boards and 4.6 blocks per 36 minutes
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 11-12-2022 at 06:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No ing way, what a story! Man, I always like to see these kinds of players succeed in the league. It's all too easy watching them play a game and rooting for them, while forgetting that good performances are literally life-changing for these dudes...

I'm definitely rooting for him. He had a great game last night, and didn't really look like a "one-time-wonder" fluke kinda thing. He really seems to have everything an athletic big would need. Do you know when we can sign him to a full-time deal? I don't want him poached from us due to being on a 2-way...

Though if he keeps up these performances, he'll be too good to be let go of. Pop seemed to give him a lot of leeway last night, and his quotes are all the right things. Spurs and diamonds in the rough, man, incredible!

Lastly: do you think he could credibly play PF if he continued to develop an outside shot? I'm only worried that he's a bit undersized to play C full-time... I'm not married to the idea of Jakob staying here through the rebuild, but also don't know if Bassey is the player to replace him, tbh. I think they could compliment each other's games quite well, especially with Pop's tendencies to play big lineups (like we saw with Jak and Zollins sharing the court).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure Zollins and Jak only shared the court for those one or two games because they were down five players and it was against the TWolves who play two players who pretty much resemble two Centers on the court with their size.

Thread Information