Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, by the way Bassey was able to hold his own against the likes of Jovic, McGee, and probably another I’m forgetting (did he match up against Adams?) I think he’ll work out just fine as a full time C with no liabilities whatsoever. What he lacks in height (to be fair, you can’t even tell), he makes up in girth and strength.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lastly: do you think he could credibly play PF if he continued to develop an outside shot? I'm only worried that he's a bit undersized to play C full-time... I'm not married to the idea of Jakob staying here through the rebuild, but also don't know if Bassey is the player to replace him, tbh. I think they could compliment each other's games quite well, especially with Pop's tendencies to play big lineups (like we saw with Jak and Zollins sharing the court).
    I don't think Poeltl/Bassey would work, but Bassey/Zollins could

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he just say Pop was so calm talking to the team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of posters are laughing at Doc for cutting this guy loose but is that a Doc call or Morey?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just made the NBA Top 10 with his chasedown block

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At first I was resistant to this comparison. Duren is three years younger and the youngest guy in this draft. I like him, from what I've seen. But they are both undersized and might have similar games. I think Bassey might have more vertical pop, to be honest.
    I admit it isn't the best comparison. Obviously Duren is significantly younger, is more athletic - but Bassey has a jump shot and 3-point game where Duren doesn't and it appears that Bassey has a high bbiq.

I used the comparison though to say that if we drafted Bassey at 20 or 25 as a college senior... we'd be pretty pumped up about this draft pick and pleased with the multi-year contract we had him under. He's now a second year player, so he has that advantage - but I think he's shown enough to warrant a multi-year contract and to be viewed with a excitement as a solid contributor for us for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just one reminder: Charles Bassey isn't some rare diamond we found out of nowhere that required some amazing scouting department to find. He was MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic International Game as a freshman in HS, he averaged 19.4/12.8 as a Junior for Aspire Academy and was a five-star recruit and top center in the country in the 2018 recruiting class, was First Team All-Conference USA as a freshman at WKU, was Conference USA Player of the Year and back-to-back DPOY as a junior. If not for a fracture his sop re year, he probably goes pro then instead of coming back his junior year.

It's awesome the Spurs picked up this guy, but it's not like he was just some random bum. 21 other teams tried to sign him too, but he came home to SA. If anything, I think him slipping to the 53rd pick was a failure of every NBA team more than than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the fact that this is his 2nd season makes me wonder what his 3rd year leap will look like

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume Spurs will just wait until his big roster eligibility is expiring to convert sign him to a main roster contract and jettison Hall loose (or cut him loose to have him sign the other 2 way at that point).

Cant recall the procedural limitations and all though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just one reminder: Charles Bassey isn't some rare diamond we found out of nowhere that required some amazing scouting department to find. He was MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic International Game as a freshman in HS, he averaged 19.4/12.8 as a Junior for Aspire Academy and was a five-star recruit and top center in the country in the 2018 recruiting class, was First Team All-Conference USA as a freshman at WKU, was Conference USA Player of the Year and back-to-back DPOY as a junior. If not for a fracture his sop re year, he probably goes pro then instead of coming back his junior year.

It's awesome the Spurs picked up this guy, but it's not like he was just some random bum. 21 other teams tried to sign him too, but he came home to SA. If anything, I think him slipping to the 53rd pick was a failure of every NBA team more than than anything else.
    Great points worth remembering, especially that other teams were trying to sign him beyond showing a lot of stuff already. The Spurs got enormously lucky that he was familiar with SA before, that he seems to not want glitzy locales (cf. WKU), and then seems to have wanted to work under a coach like Popovich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i say u lock him up and let poodle walk in fa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems to have the right at ude in order to succeed in the NBA. Can you believe the sixers let him go for nothing ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I admit it isn't the best comparison. Obviously Duren is significantly younger, is more athletic - but Bassey has a jump shot and 3-point game where Duren doesn't and it appears that Bassey has a high bbiq.

I used the comparison though to say that if we drafted Bassey at 20 or 25 as a college senior... we'd be pretty pumped up about this draft pick and pleased with the multi-year contract we had him under. He's now a second year player, so he has that advantage - but I think he's shown enough to warrant a multi-year contract and to be viewed with a excitement as a solid contributor for us for years.
    I actually think it's a great comparison. Bassey is undersized for a center, but Duren is also about the same height. I feel like Bassey is actually more athletic, too. For all the talk of taking Duren (or Mark Williams) at #9, we wound up with a player who is already more productive, if a bit older. I agree with your point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For comparison's sake, here is Bassey vs. Williams vs. Duren as they came into their respective drafts.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/co...-mark-williams

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming he and Poeltl donít share court but are on court a majority of minutes, few teams can compete with that sort of level of play for 48 minutes at center.

He also makes trading Poeltl more palatable (or letting him walk, and maybe facilitating a S&T)

I know itís beaten like a dead horses, but on the Primo overdraft debate, but had they picked Segnun, Bassey wouldnít be on the roster right now. Segnun is playing really well, but there are ways to get production at center while spending less draft capital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of posters are laughing at Doc for cutting this guy loose but is that a Doc call or Morey?
    Most likely Morey. Morey also cut Robert Covington. Those are a couple of Ls on his resume. Pop cut Green and James Johnson. I don't remember if he has had a bigger miss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely Morey. Morey also cut Robert Covington. Those are a couple of Ls on his resume. Pop cut Green and James Johnson. I don't remember if he has had a bigger miss.
    Scola thread//

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure anyone on Philly can get too much blame considering no team in the NBA bothered to claim him off waivers even though Bassey only had like $75,000 guaranteed this season. The Spurs signed him to a two-way contract which means it's highly likely that no team was even offering him a regular, non-guaranteed deal.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i say u lock him up and let poodle walk in fa
    I bought a new car so I’m just going park my low mileage 2018 SUV which is in high demand on the street with the keys in it and let whoever wants it to take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure anyone on Philly can get too much blame considering no team in the NBA bothered to claim him off waivers even though Bassey only had like $75,000 guaranteed this season. The Spurs signed him to a two-way contract which means it's highly likely that no team was even offering him a regular, non-guaranteed deal.
    Even last year in very limited minutes, his advanced stats jumped off the page. His PER was 21.5, his WS/48 was .220.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It still hurts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. Somehow, the GM of the Spurs is to blame for every false step the past half decade, but the perceived GM of the 76ers (he's actually the POBO) somehow isn't, it's the coach.

When in doubt, blame the (half, in their cases) black man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is the real deal

when was the last undrafted star

Isaiah Thomas?

Half joking
    Fred VanVleet

Thread Information