Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm also wondering about giving him some minutes at PF. He's a lot more mobile than Poertl and could defend there--if he can only develop a 3 pt shot. But then of course you come up with a problem of where to put Sochan??? Meanwhile, the team is stronger with this young player and we can let the coaches see where and when to work him into the rotation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play PF in a pinch but his bread and butter is battling down low for rebounds, put backs, and back door dunks. Though I would not mind Pop doing his mad scientist schemes and seeing what players can and can not do in different positions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. Somehow, the GM of the Spurs is to blame for every false step the past half decade, but the perceived GM of the 76ers (he's actually the POBO) somehow isn't, it's the coach.

When in doubt, blame the (half, in their cases) black man.
    You really think the GM makes the roster cutdown decisions at the end of TC?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really think the GM makes the roster cutdown decisions at the end of TC?
    POBO have final say over personnel decisions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play PF in a pinch but his bread and butter is battling down low for rebounds, put backs, and back door dunks. Though I would not mind Pop doing his mad scientist schemes and seeing what players can and can not do in different positions
    I still think he can play in 'some' sets with Collins....it just depends on who the PF is out there that Bassey has to cover.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like playing time?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can have a say in that too, with the amount often coming down to the stature/experience of them and the head coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be very unlike Morey to cut a kid with great advanced stats. That’s kind of Darryl’s jam. It would be very like Doc, who actually said in an interview that he didn’t have time for development projects like Charles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be very unlike Morey to cut a kid with great advanced stats. That’s kind of Darryl’s jam. It would be very like Doc, who actually said in an interview that he didn’t have time for development projects like Charles.
    Morey was the one who signed off on the HOU reunion and brought Montrez though.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds like a combination of things: Morey brought Montrezz back and because Doc had no interest in developing Bassey, he was let go. Arguably, if Doc had actually played Bassey they might not have had the inclination to bring in Montrezz in the first place.

For me, this is classic Doc. With Tyrese Maxey, he put up 40 points as a rookie one game and he still was barely getting minutes and had to wait behind someone named Shake Milton. I think it's perfectly ok to critique Doc for his coaching tendencies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds like a combination of things: Morey brought Montrezz back and because Doc had no interest in developing Bassey, he was let go. Arguably, if Doc had actually played Bassey they might not have had the inclination to bring in Montrezz in the first place.

For me, this is classic Doc. With Tyrese Maxey, he put up 40 points as a rookie one game and he still was barely getting minutes and had to wait behind someone named Shake Milton. I think it's perfectly ok to critique Doc for his coaching tendencies.
    One of the 15 best coaches of all time. Over the like of Rudy T, Kundla, adelman, Carlisle, or even d’antoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the 15 best coaches of all time. Over the like of Rudy T, Kundla, adelman, Carlisle, or even d’antoni.
    Rudy T has two rings, and Carlisle has one, really Docs only claim to fame.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given how little Rivers has played Harrell from the jump even with Embiid in and out, it's logical to conclude he was indifferent at best.

Right or wrong, an aspiring championship contender wasn't going to go that unproven in terms of experience/pedigree in a rotation spot, especially when the starter isn't durable.

At RINGZ! without context.

If not for Garnett's knee injury in '09, there's a good chance the Celtics repeat and if Perkins didn't break his leg in game 6 of the '10 Finals, pressing washed, out of shape Wallace into extended minutes in game 7 against a team with two dominate centers, they might have won that too.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc is an overrated coach. A good coach, yeah he’s a good coach but he’s not a great coach. No one has done less with more than Doc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc is an overrated coach. A good coach, yeah he’s a good coach but he’s not a great coach. No one has done less with more than Doc.
    Anybody who has won an NBA Championship, I’d say is a good coach, especially against Kobe’s loaded team. But a great coach, Doc is not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the most criticized coach in the league and virtually the only one with championship pedigree who's not treated as if he's a genius, so how is this possible?

In reality, like most he's neither good nor bad and is mostly irrelevant. No quantifiable way to determine good and bad is only when they're shameless self-promotors or out of touch with how today's league works, which generally leads to a short stint. The rest are either beneficiaries or victims of the cir stances they find themselves in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the most criticized coach in the league and virtually the only one with championship pedigree who's not treated as if he's a genius, so how is this possible?

In reality, like most he's neither good nor bad and is mostly irrelevant. No quantifiable way to determine good and bad is only when they're shameless self-promotors or out of touch with how today's league works, which generally leads to a short stint. The rest are either beneficiaries or victims of the cir stances they find themselves in.
    Docs chip was a long time ago, in the 90s-2000s nba. PeopletrashedPop over the last few years, but he seems to have finally embraced the modern game. The 76ers are 20th in the league in 3PA per game. The Spurs are 9th. The 76ers are 12th in 3G%, so it’s not like they shoot it badly. The Spurs are 10th in 3G%. Doc is apparently OK with this 90s offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Docs chip was a long time ago, in the 90s-2000s nba. PeopletrashedPop over the last few years, but he seems to have finally embraced the modern game. The 76ers are 20th in the league in 3PA per game. The Spurs are 9th. The 76ers are 12th in 3G%, so it’s not like they shoot it badly. The Spurs are 10th in 3G%. Doc is apparently OK with this 90s offense.
    So was Carlisle and Popovich and Tomjanovich was significantly longer than all.

It's all about personnel. The Spurs were a low volume 3-point shooting team for years because their primary options were that and the second the latter changed, magically the former did.

It's no different with the 76ers where Harden is the only high usage option who doubles as a high volume 3-point shooter and he's now missed 35.7% of the season.

Funny, you defend Pop to no end over this and any other criticism, but somehow Rivers gets blamed for the same thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he holds the record for being up two games in a playoff and then ends up loosing the next three or four games. He has done that like 3 or 4 times against teams with worse records.. ...He is a terrible playoff coach

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not sure pedigree is the right word, maybe I guess. He’s a good coach. Got a ring.

Take me to task.

What’s his coaching tree?

What’s his claim to fame when it comes to players drafted that he coached up?

Which of his drafted players have exceeded expectation largely due to his coaching?

What statistical anomalies or marks of greatness does he own?

What innovation or innovative aspect of his coaching garnered league wide praise or attributed to a league shift is style or development?

He’s good okay. But he’s just a good coach, nothing more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure pedigree is the right word, maybe I guess. He’s a good coach. Got a ring.

Take me to task.

What’s his coaching tree?

What’s his claim to fame when it comes to players drafted that he coached up?

Which of his drafted players have exceeded expectation largely due to his coaching?

What statistical anomalies or marks of greatness does he own?

What innovation or innovative aspect of his coaching garnered league wide praise or attributed to a league shift is style or development?

He’s good okay. But he’s just a good coach, nothing more.
    Now you're just ignoring what I've said to push a narrative.

That's all nonsense that gets assigned based on who's scratched who's back in the national media and them returning serve, then it spreads like a virus with groupthink setting in as it gets regurgitated ad nauseam until finally it's passed off as fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Just learn to love Doc people!
    He's geat and victimized!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he holds the record for being up two games in a playoff and then ends up loosing the next three or four games. He has done that like 3 or 4 times against teams with worse records.. ...He is a terrible playoff coach
    Lost 3 series when up 3-1
    No other coach has loss more than one

It's happened 13 times, Doc is responsible for 23%

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Just learn to love Doc people!
    He's geat and victimized!
    Not at all what I said. More narrative pushing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at all what I said. More narrative pushing.
    So you disagree?

Thread Information