Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High ticket prices.
    Not giving a about fans in reality especially season ticket holders.
    Team not really giving a and making a great concerted effort to sell tickets either.
    No big promos really to get fans into the doors.

They start to give a , not to mention that anyone who has cut cable cant really watch the team, and fans will show up, great product (in terms of the basketball being played) from what I've seen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, once we get our next franchise player (whenever that may be), fans will start coming back. If we go too long without one, the team might not survive in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought OP was hinting that tickets was a precursor to them relocating. That’s what I’m really worried about. Seattle or Vegas coming down the aisle and giving the Holts an offer they can’t refuse. I hope the SA Mayor has plans in place to prevent it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it moved to downtown Austin ill buy 2 season pass tickets!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it moved to downtown Austin I’ll buy 2 season pass tickets!
    And they would be 5x the price as what they are in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me 2 reasons:

1) keep trading my favorite player, someone I watch get better and better every year until they become an all star. Then just like that he’s gone. And on top of that, current players that I like sound like they will be traded. Why would I cheer for that only for them to be gone soon too?

2) pricing. It’s too easy to just stay home and watch game there. If they want to bring the die hards back into the arena, gotta have 50% off days or some big promotion with heavily discounted prices. At least for one game.

if spurs keep winning this year, let’s say after 25 games they are still a few games above .500,I think people will start to come back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High ticket prices.
    Not giving a about fans in reality especially season ticket holders.
    Team not really giving a and making a great concerted effort to sell tickets either.
    No big promos really to get fans into the doors.

They start to give a , not to mention that anyone who has cut cable cant really watch the team, and fans will show up, great product (in terms of the basketball being played) from what I've seen.
    When you talk about prices are you referring to lower levels? Feels like upper deck is still really affordable ($11-16), and middle bowl is like $150 for center court. Not saying latter is super cheap per se, but seems on the lower end based on my experiences on east coast.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my opinion the thing that is going to become more glaring now is the crappiness of the location. What a huge miss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2) pricing. It’s too easy to just stay home and watch game there.
    Seems like a subtle point, but can't be underestimated. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE going to the games for the full experience.

But I can also watch the game at home from my comfy couch, on a big screen with a loud stereo system and full instant replays. There is no line for the bathrooms, the food is better, and the drinks are sure as cheaper. I think a lot of people feel this way. It's the same reason theaters are struggling because having your own home theater has become way more accessible.

To OPs point, people NEED to buy tickets for the Spurs to survive...but when going to a game becomes a $300+ commitment between tickets, gas, parking, and food/drink...it makes the alternative start to look better.

Season tickets are an even bigger commitment, especially time wise. We have season tix for Longhorns football, which I love. But during football season, you basically have to plan your weekends around home games...and that's only SIX GAMES. Definitely a first world problem to have, but I can't imagine having to do that for 20-41 Spurs games every season.
    Last edited by Dex; 11-05-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you talk about prices are you referring to lower levels? Feels like upper deck is still really affordable ($11-16), and middle bowl is like $150 for center court. Not saying latter is super cheap per se, but seems on the lower end based on my experiences on east coast.
    Like Dex said pricing is too high to motivate many people to have a night out. 150 is too much. Definitely unaffordable for any kind of family night out. A date maybe. You’re looking at 700-800 for a family of 4 to go out and sit in below average seats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dropped my cash for a lower bowl seat (2 actually). I picked the Manu Jersey game against Charlotte. Halftime was great - the game was not, but that was the only game so far that was not compe ive (with SA fielding Johnson and Vassell of course). I can't go to more than a game a year usually. I live in DFW area.

I don't understand why people keep talking about Austin. THERE IS NO STADIUM THAT WOULD WORK. The Drum is 50 years old, too small, and outdated. The Moody Center is 8-9M capacity and UTs fieldhouse situation. UT men's basketball seems to have attendance issues already (I think). Football is king in Austin because you only have 5 or 6 home games every year. People show up for that. Not basketball.

The City of Austin has other issues it needs to clean up before worrying about a pro basketball team.

The City of San Antonio needs to look long and hard at the arena situation - the ATT Center (?) is in a rotten location due to the local political situation 25 years ago. It would REALLY hurt if the new ownership team squandered the one and only big time pro team that will ever live in San Antonio.

The Spurs organization needs to figure things out in the next five years regarding the arena. The new training center is a start that looks to be a sweet situation. I really hope the Spurs stellar history over these 50 years will keep the wolves at bay until a new arena gets built.

A North of San Antonio situation on a more open location might work if both SA and Austin could realistically have a more shared fan base (still as the SA Spurs). My trip to downtown SA in mid-October was not encouraging. It seemed deserted. A downtown arena would still seem to be a fun thing. The old Alamodome is a much better location, but a rotten basketball facility.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 11-05-2022 at 10:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Viva las Austin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dropped my cash for a lower bowl seat (2 actually). I picked the Manu Jersey game against Charlotte. Halftime was great - the game was not, but that was the only game so far that was not compe ive (with SA fielding Johnson and Vassell of course).

I don't understand why people keep talking about Austin. THERE IS NO STADIUM THAT WOULD WORK. The Drum is 50 years old, too small, and outdated. The Moody Center is 8-9M capacity and UTs fieldhouse situation. UT men's basketball seems to have attendance issues already (I think). Football is king in Austin because you only have 5 or 6 home games every year. People show up for that. Not basketball.

The City of Austin has other issues it needs to clean up before worrying about a pro basketball team.

The City of San Antonio needs to look long and hard at the arena situation - the ATT Center (?) is in a rotten location due to the local political situation 25 years ago. It would REALLY hurt if the new ownership team squandered the one and only big time pro team that will ever live in San Antonio.

The Spurs organization needs to figure things out in the next five years regarding the arena. The new training center is a start that looks to be a sweet situation. I really hope the Spurs stellar history over these 50 years will keep the wolves at bay until a new arena gets built.

A North of San Antonio situation on a more open location might work if both SA and Austin could realistically have a more shared fan base (still as the SA Spurs). My trip to downtown SA in mid-October was not encouraging. It seemed deserted. A downtown arena would still seem to be a fun thing. The old Alamodome is a much better location, but a rotten basketball facility.
    Honestly they should rip down The Dome and put the Spurs new arena there. Prime location.

It will never happen because it was built on tax-payer money, still hosts other events like Bowl Games, UTSA football, concerts, and soon to be the home of the XFL San Antonio Brahmas.

Unfortunately, I don't see the "middle-ground" situation of an arena in...say, New Braunfels....working well because then you are asking both San Antonio AND Austin fans to commute.

Also agree with your point Moody isn't a great venue for the Spurs. The capacity is limited and the parking is a ing nightmare in downtown Austin.
    Last edited by Dex; 11-05-2022 at 10:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly they should rip down The Dome and put the Spurs new arena there. Prime location.

It will never happen because it was built on tax-payer money, still hosts other events like Bowl Games, concerts, and soon to be the home of the XFL San Antonio Brahmas.

Unfortunately, I don't see the "middle-ground" situation of an arena in...say, New Braunfels....working well because then you are asking both San Antonio AND Austin fans to commute.

Also agree with your point Moody isn't a great venue for the Spurs. The capacity is limited and the parking is ing nightmare in downtown Austin.
    Downtown SA would be great like in the old Hemisfair arena days when I locked into the Spurs. Except with a new cool facility with good access. You are very likely correct about the "in between" SA and Austin scenario. The team needs to stay in SA with either a downtown locale or an outside 1604 spot to set it up in a big open area (if that exists). I hope one of those things can happen.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn’t this already a talking point by trolls 6 years ago. It’s been like this for a long time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn’t this already a talking point by trolls 6 years ago. It’s been like this for a long time
    yeah, but now we've lost the nostalgia factor of watching big names. It's obvious to us, that murray, vassel, and johnson will be special players worth watching, but one guy was traded for magic beans, the others aren't yet stars the casuals will know.

I've been beating on my desk for years, the spurs need to spend money to make games worth it. tanking during corona would have been better. now we have an affordability crisis and the spurs aren't the kind of team rich influencers want to flock to. They've had ten years to know the duncan era would end. maybe 5 years if they thought kawhi would fill sits, and i don't know if they really though derozan would. Derozan is very entertaining but a big leap in value and tradition (and i don't think he ever really wanted to be here).

I was going to do a thread "the case for the spurs not moving" and it's basically that the problems of San Antonio are worse in all other cities. Unless a new rich person is personally going to champion a move to Vegas or austin it won't happen. Muck is stuck with twitter now and functionally broke. It's cheaper to just fix the transportation and amenities then build a new arena. SA has better politicians than most cities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas baby!! Oh yeah!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bad look.

After five les in a small market, the team deserves better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make 100 level tickets $20-$40 instead of $160+ and watch the stadium be full.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dropped my cash for a lower bowl seat (2 actually). I picked the Manu Jersey game against Charlotte. Halftime was great - the game was not, but that was the only game so far that was not compe ive (with SA fielding Johnson and Vassell of course). I can't go to more than a game a year usually. I live in DFW area.

Good post. I too was downtown for a conference a few months back and was discouraged by what seemed to be a deserted vibe downtown on a pleasant weekend weather wise etc. I haven’t lived in SA in over two decades, but what gives? where do people go out to bars and socialize these days? Is it more a house parties and get together town now?

The Pearl stuff is nice, but doesn’t seem like their is space to build there. Definitely need surrounding action/attractions to make the experience more enjoyable.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like an arena could be shoehorned into the current parking lot A. Fox Tech is probably still an option

That works for football but not basketball.

Also agree with your point Moody isn't a great venue for the Spurs. The capacity is limited and the parking is a ing nightmare in downtown Austin.
    No NBA team would ever use that as a permanent venue. All the potential downtown Austin sites have been taken so scratch that. The city does own a site midtown on I-35 but the infrastructure that would be needed around it seems prohibitive. That leaves less than ideal spots on the outskirts of town or the burbs which could work but only Round Rock seems eager to burn money for that kind of thing. It still looks like San Antonio has substantial advantages going forward.

I believe any ownership group mulling a sale or relocation would probably wait until the terms of the new media deal come into focus the next year or two. If it's really good the NBA might just grant expansion teams to Vegas and Seattle so those options would be gone. If not, let the speculation begin.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How am I supposed to talk on this forum during the game if I am actually at the game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in Charlotte but whenever they come, I go to their games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me 2 reasons:

1) keep trading my favorite player, someone I watch get better and better every year until they become an all star. Then just like that he’s gone. And on top of that, current players that I like sound like they will be traded. Why would I cheer for that only for them to be gone soon too?

2) pricing. It’s too easy to just stay home and watch game there. If they want to bring the die hards back into the arena, gotta have 50% off days or some big promotion with heavily discounted prices. At least for one game.

if spurs keep winning this year, let’s say after 25 games they are still a few games above .500,I think people will start to come back.
    This is to me is a problem all across the league. I live in Charlotte, but I used to go to Hornets games all the time because tickets were cheap. I used to be able to get courtside tickets for 150-170 dollars and it was to see good teams play. Now these same tickets will cost 400-600 dollars. I'm not paying money to sit nosebleed or anywhere else besides the courtside section, so I rather stay at home and watch the games on TV.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Bally app for $20/month it’s easier to watch at home.

Thread Information