Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talking Bassey in another thread made me want to take a look at this comparison.

In his second season, first in the Spurs system and in many ways being developed like a rookie (which is appropriate), I think Bassey continues to show a lot of promise. Certainly enough to where had he been the 20th or 25th pick, we’d all be pretty pleased with his development.

In that vein, I wanted to compare where Bassey is in his 2nd year to where Jak was in his. The consensus seems to be that Jak is a solid starting C. Some people go as far as saying he is a top 10 C in the league. I don’t think anyone believes he is not at least a quality starting C.

I think Bassey has the potential to be a starting C at Jak’s caliber, while providing the upside of greater offensive range.

Comparing 2nd year stats:

Jak (TOR): 82 gp, 0 starts, 18.6 mpg, 6.9 ppg, .659 FG%, .660 eFG%, .594 FT%, 2.0 orpg, 2.8 drpg, 4.8 trpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg, 1.2 bpg, 1.0 TOV, 2.6 pf

Bassey (SAS): 18 gp, 1 start, 16.2 mpg, 6.0 ppg, .687 FG%, .701 eFG%, .636 FT%, 2.3 orpg, 3.8 drpg, 6.1 trpg, 1.6 apg, 0.4 spg, 1.2 blg, 1.3 TOV, 2.6 pf

Definitely looks like Bassey is on a similar developmental track

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker Kessler is looking like a nice pick for Utah. Time will tell whether we missed on him in taking Branham. But Bassey's production actually looks really similar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey had a of a game tonight with Austin Spurs. 40 pts. 16 Boards

Pretty impressive night overall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey had a of a game tonight with Austin Spurs. 40 pts. 16 Boards

Pretty impressive night overall.
    Nice! He had a DNP the other day, followed up by not even being listed on the box score, so I was wondering what was up. Glad to see him dominating the G-League. The optimist in me wants to buy into the theory that he'll get a multiyear deal after the trade deadline and some serious minutes. He needs a full off-season to really get engrained into the system.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker Kessler is looking like a nice pick for Utah. Time will tell whether we missed on him in taking Branham. But Bassey's production actually looks really similar.
    Yeah i really liked him in the draft people were laughing at me but the dude is legit will have a very good NBA career majority starting center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could have had a 50 pt night but he didn't play as many minutes given we were blowing out the Texas Legends.

I was very impressed with his touch around the basket, his range, his athleticism, even his on ball defense. He was left out on the perimeter on two occasions and the guard got by him but he rolled hard and made a block twice.

I came away super impressed. Would love to see what he can do at the next level.

Conversely, I was not too impressed with Barlow. His shot literally comes out with a side spin. So I don't see him being a knock down shooter, though he's got a decent inside game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could have had a 50 pt night but he didn't play as many minutes given we were blowing out the Texas Legends.

I was very impressed with his touch around the basket, his range, his athleticism, even his on ball defense. He was left out on the perimeter on two occasions and the guard got by him but he rolled hard and made a block twice.

I came away super impressed. Would love to see what he can do at the next level.

Conversely, I was not too impressed with Barlow. His shot literally comes out with a side spin. So I don't see him being a knock down shooter, though he's got a decent inside game.
    Thanks for the insight. I hope the team is keeping Bassey away from the main squad, they suck so bad.

Barlow is a project. Playing for Overtime Elite is like wasting a year at bst, maybe even worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah i really liked him in the draft people were laughing at me but the dude is legit will have a very good NBA career majority starting center.
    I can’t see why people are knob slobbering him. He plays 20 minutes, and is a tail: 7p/7r.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some highlights of Bassey's game last night for anyone interested:

https://twitter.com/projectspurs/sta...866397696?s=19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t see why people are knob slobbering him. He plays 20 minutes, and is a tail: 7p/7r.
    B-but Spurs have the worst defensive rating.

For a team who’s one of the leaders in assist, has no problem scoring, but MUST not have terrible defense? How do people expect Spurs to lose and get Wemby?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bassey made a couple of 3s and a couple of jumpers from the top of the lane in this rout. He looked like he could do whatever he wanted againt this compe ion. If he can bring some of that confidence to the Big Club when he gets the invite for a short stay, he will be fine. I remember that during his previous stint he was screwing up the pnr plays by releasing too soon in order to get open for his own shot, but I didn't see that in the highlights.

Re Barlow shot release: DJM came into the league with the same shot release that sent the ball with a sideways spin. Chip fixed that. I wish he was still here to coach. Do we even have a specialized shooting coach now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we even have a specialized shooting coach now?
    No, Chip is the only one in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B-but Spurs have the worst defensive rating.

For a team who’s one of the leaders in assist, has no problem scoring, but MUST not have terrible defense? How do people expect Spurs to lose and get Wemby?
    You can't be serious? The Rockets, Pistons, Hornets, 76ers, and every other NBA team in NBA HISTORY managed to do it without being this bad defensively.

Don't be a Homer. It's not a good look. Also if you want to reply to something I've written, grow a spine and @ me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't be serious? The Rockets, Pistons, Hornets, 76ers, and every other NBA team in NBA HISTORY managed to do it without being this bad defensively.

Don't be a Homer. It's not a good look. Also if you want to reply to something I've written, grow a spine and @ me.
    What are you 12? I’m talking in general with posters complaining about Spurs defensive rating. Lose but don’t get blown away. Sochan not a good defender. Dude was guarding Curry one night, then LeBron the other. That’s covering perimeter, then defending post and switching in between. You’re not living rent-free in my mind. Spurs are tanking, and people are complaining about defensive rating?? You let me know when Pop’s jugular starts popping, then Spurs are not tanking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you 12? I’m talking in general with posters complaining about Spurs defensive rating. Lose but don’t get blown away. Sochan not a good defender. Dude was guarding Curry one night, then LeBron the other. That’s covering perimeter, then defending post and switching in between. You’re not living rent-free in my mind. Spurs are tanking, and people are complaining about defensive rating?? You let me know when Pop’s jugular starts popping, then Spurs are not tanking
    No, are you 9?

You've made a habit (3 times now) of referencing my points and passively-aggressively trying to throw shade at my post without tagging me. My 9 year old does the same thing when someone hurts her feelings.

And before you try and say "posters" generally is what you meant, I've been the one driving this point home for weeks and even made a thread on it.

It seems you don't like seeing legitimate criticism. Stop being such a homer and recognize concerning patterns where they exist. And the last thing I want to see is a pathetic argument that the Spurs cannot both tank and be less than historically abominable on defense. Literally every other team EVER has managed that better than us to date. Make better arguments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    says the guy who was knob slobbering Jalen Smith

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our prince goes down around the 32:15 mark and didn't return today. Saw on Twitter could be season-ending

https://youtu.be/sxFHh68zh1Q?t=1925

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FURK!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interestingly, the game cap doesn't mention anything about the injury other than Bassey finished with 11 points (it doesn't point out that it was in only 12 minutes of work)

https://gleague.nba.com/game/aus-vs-...iew=game-story

Hopefully it's minor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, still haven't seen any official news on the injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, still haven't seen any official news on the injury.

What a freak injury - that was no contact, right? I'd love an alternate angle. The little steps before going up make it even weirder, non-contact injuries usually happen when you go power-footing and your body just ain't having it.

Also, the tweet body is complete BS. You can get just as injured (arguably more so) in the NBA than in the GL, and if you're developing your game anyways, it's not like you're missing on a lifetime opportunity. Dejounte literally had almost the same (seemingly) injury during NBA Preseason, should he have skipped all preseason games and training camp too? BS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've no idea where one is more likely to injure themselves between the NBA or G-League but I'm hopeful it's not a thing where he's out a calendar year type thing.
    I'm admittedly fairly late to Bassey fandom but he impressed the out of me the other night. Just smooth from outside, midrange, and down low. Plays admirable defense. And he looks light years better than my first time seeing him.

If he's injured in such a way that his development basically stops for a year, it could be devastating to his chances. And it is rather odd we still don't have a diagnosis, at least publicly available, yet.

He could be a contributor to this team moving forward. Will remain hopeful the injury is not serious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having no news is better news imo. If he tore a muscle we would be hearing about it now. I suspect it’s a sprain and be out a week or two, I hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a freak injury - that was no contact, right? I'd love an alternate angle. The little steps before going up make it even weirder, non-contact injuries usually happen when you go power-footing and your body just ain't having it.

Also, the tweet body is complete BS. You can get just as injured (arguably more so) in the NBA than in the GL, and if you're developing your game anyways, it's not like you're missing on a lifetime opportunity. Dejounte literally had almost the same (seemingly) injury during NBA Preseason, should he have skipped all preseason games and training camp too? BS.
    DeJountes ACL tear was non contact, IIRC.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any update on his wife injury?

Thread Information