Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    You dont sound petulant. But a bit fantastic

You cant compare this turds of Argetina with yesterdays Ruggeri, Goicochea or even Batistuta or Crespo. Those were real men. Theae ladyboys like todays take it up the ass this days.

Pls dont insult real men with these walking vaginas
    I'm not comparing anyone. But that group you romanticize (90s Argentina) was not a very good team, I remember it vividly because it was my first memory of a Word Cup as a small child, and those memories stick with you. We actually played 7 games and won 2 (USSR & Brazil), lost 2 (Cameroon and Germany) and 3 ended in a draw (Romania, Yugoslavia & Italy), it had some of the most remarkable strokes of luck I'd ever seen (we beat Brazil 1-0 when in reality we should have lost by 3 or 4 goals). The remaining greats from Mexico 1986 were in bad shape: Maradona's ankle was in terrible shape, he was playing at 40% maybe, Burruchaga, Batista, were s s of their former selves. We had a good defense with Ruggeri and Simon and Caniggia is probably my favorite player ever (along with Batistuta, who didn't play in the NT until the following year), though. If we had 10% of the luck we had in that '90 WC in 1994, 1998, 2006, or 2014, we could have easily won any of those. But it seems we exhausted 40 years' worth of good luck in that one game against Brazil, which is probably my most favorite game ever, along with the round of 16 vs England in 1998... and now we're doomed.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Brazil should have destroyed Argentina, but Maradona had a stroke of genius, made a great solo run and drew the defense to serve Claudio on a golden platter

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Brazil should have destroyed Argentina, but Maradona had a stroke of genius, made a great solo run and drew the defense to serve Claudio on a golden platter
    That was pretty much the one play you could recognize Maradona by in the entire world cup, though. Not to harp on him, he was severely limited and most others in his place wouldn't even have played.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    That was pretty much the one play you could recognize Maradona by in the entire world cup, though. Not to harp on him, he was severely limited and most others in his place wouldn't even have played.
    Yep his ankle wasn't in great shape tbh

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    I'm not comparing anyone. But that group you romanticize (90s Argentina) was not a very good team, I remember it vividly because it was my first memory of a Word Cup as a small child, and those memories stick with you. We actually played 7 games and won 2 (USSR & Brazil), lost 2 (Cameroon and Germany) and 3 ended in a draw (Romania, Yugoslavia & Italy), it had some of the most remarkable strokes of luck I'd ever seen (we beat Brazil 1-0 when in reality we should have lost by 3 or 4 goals). The remaining greats from Mexico 1986 were in bad shape: Maradona's ankle was in terrible shape, he was playing at 40% maybe, Burruchaga, Batista, were s s of their former selves. We had a good defense with Ruggeri and Simon and Caniggia is probably my favorite player ever (along with Batistuta, who didn't play in the NT until the following year), though. If we had 10% of the luck we had in that '90 WC in 1994, 1998, 2006, or 2014, we could have easily won any of those. But it seems we exhausted 40 years' worth of good luck in that one game against Brazil, which is probably my most favorite game ever, along with the round of 16 vs England in 1998... and now we're doomed.
    Disagree tbqh. I really mean it when those days real men played. They had the physical strength of today but their mental strength was what made tgem different.

Todays got players are mentally weak and that shows. Just like it showed in Argentina vs Saudi. They looked like complete pussies out there.

No way Batistutas team would pussy out like that.

And no way should Argentina have lost by 3 goals to Brazil. Thats BS. Thats like saying Canada should have beat Belgium because they attacked way more. Soccer is not about that. Usually the mentally stronger team will prevail at this level.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Disagree tbqh. I really mean it when those days real men played. They had the physical strength of today but their mental strength was what made tgem different.

Todays got players are mentally weak and that shows. Just like it showed in Argentina vs Saudi. They looked like complete pussies out there.

And no way should Argentina have lost by 3 goals to Brazil. Thats BS. Thats like saying Canada should have beat Belgium because they attacked way more. Soccer is not about that. Usually the mentally stronger team will prevail at this level.
    Batistuta doesn't know what the semis of a WC looks like, just like Colombia.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

I said that the Argentina team you was way worse than the way it's remembered in hindsight. That team lost in its debut to Cameroon by a Italy stupid goalkeeper mistake, made the round of 16 by a hair, avoided a historic whipping by virtue of Brazil missing the net by an inch 4 or 5 times, and advanced 2 rounds by penalties. It was a resilient team, with a good defense, an inspired goalkeeper (that never again in his career played at that level) and a wonderful Caniggia. If you replay that tournament 100 times, 20 times we don't make it out of the first round, 70 we get stomped by Brazil in the round of 16, 4 we don't advance past Yugoslavia, 5 we lose to Italy in the semis, and in the one time we get to the final match, we still get robbed by Mexican-Uruguayan thief Codesal. And most of those times that team gets slaughtered by media an fans by failing to meet expectations, instead of being romanticized by reaching the finals, when luck was the single most influential factor in doing so. Good memories, though.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Dude, you obviously didn't watch the game, and I can hit replay in my head and go over it again and again... there's no mental strength involved in the opposing team hitting the post 3/4 times, 2 in the same play. That's just luck.

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    Dude, you obviously didn't watch the game, and I can hit replay in my head and go over it again and again... there's no mental strength involved in the opposing team hitting the post 3/4 times, 2 in the same play. That's just luck.
    I watched that game dosens of times. Even wrote a school report on it

A miss is a miss. If you hit the post 3 times you are a mental midget.

And yet these are the mental pussies we are breeding today. These gots will cry about a ing gay armband rather than play.

Just look at whats making headlines today.

The stadium is too cold. There is no beer. We cant dress like gots.

todays soccer s

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Brazil was clearly the better team in that game

But the team that deserves to win is the team that put the ball in the net and found a way to win

I always barf when people say " they deserved to win because they hit the post X times and dominated and played more beautiful football"
    Well if they did all that for nothing they didn't deserve to win

But again, I'm a compe ive person, that's probably why I see it that way

Also mental victories
    When we gave Germany all they could handle in the 2014 WC, some people told me "GG Algeria, you should be proud" ; my reply : " that , they won, we're going home; you think I'm satisfied because we played well and it was close?; it's W or bust for me"

But hey, at least we didn't lose 7-2 to them
    And at least we scored a goal vs them (cough M...)

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    When you have solid defense, a goal keeper to eliminate any team by penalties after a draw, Maradona with bad ankle or not capable of dribbling Brazilian defensive players like cones, Claudio Caniggia a supreme talented forward that happens to also be the fastest player ever till this days, you do make it to the Mundial finals.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    When you have solid defense, a goal keeper to eliminate any team by penalties after a draw, Maradona with bad ankle or not capable of dribbling Brazilian defensive players like cones, Claudio Caniggia a supreme talented forward that happens to also be the fastest player ever till this days, you do make it to the Mundial finals.
    nd also the fact that Diego was a leader

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    nd also the fact that Diego was a leader
    And as I said that argentina team was mentally powerful. They truly believed they couldnt lose and if things got bad they would get angry and yeah also play dirty. But thats how men win.

Todays ladyboy argentina team is mentaly weak

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Maradona was right when talking to Pelé about Messi. A phenomenal talent but doesn’t seem to inspire much confidence to the rest of the team. But who knows, maybe this will be his year to shut the criticism. One never knows.

I think the 78’ Argentina lost a game vs Italy and still won the mundial in great style.

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Legends win even when they/team have an off day. There are countless examples of one hit wonders and surprises. But winning consistently is the difference.

Question was Maradona liked by all his teammates. The GOATs typically pissed off their teammates at some point by being a leader. Ronaldo made an interest comment recently drawing a distinction between friend and teammate. It can certainly overlap but ultimately your job as a leader is to be respected not necessarily liked. If you Win then your teammates will celebrate more trophies and themselves earn more money. Then they'll like you regardless

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Maradona was right when talking to Pelé about Messi. A phenomenal talent but doesn’t seem to inspire much confidence to the rest of the team. But who knows, maybe this will be his year to shut the criticism. One never knows.

I think the 78’ Argentina lost a game vs Italy and still won the mundial in great style.
    Dude, you just talked a lot of crap about that '90 Argentina team getting to the final of the WC, yet give crap to Messi who did exactly the same in '14

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count

In great style? Y3sh if bribing players is a style then yeah I guess that 78 argetina won in style

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    In great style? Y3sh if bribing players is a style then yeah I guess that 78 argetina won in style
    Tell me more son

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Dude, you just talked a lot of crap about that '90 Argentina team getting to the final of the WC, yet give crap to Messi who did exactly the same in '14
    I think Argentina was really good in ‘14, the better team in the ‘14 final, that the ref swallowed the whistle when Neuer fouled Higuaín and consider Messi a legendary player. Reaching finals isn’t a small feat.

That being said, Goetze was very sharp in the time he played, while Argentina’s forwards wasted many clear opportunities, too nervous, not sure what happened. Perhaps there you can see Messi isn’t someone to inspire confidence or gets the job done at decisive moments.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I think Argentina was really good in ‘14, the better team in the ‘14 final, that the ref swallowed the whistle when Neuer fouled Higuaín and consider Messi a legendary player. Reaching finals isn’t a small feat.

That being said, Goetze was very sharp in the time he played, while Argentina’s forwards wasted many clear opportunities, too nervous, not sure what happened. Perhaps there you can see Messi isn’t someone to inspire confidence or gets the job done at decisive moments.
    Argentina was the better team against Germany, both in 2006 and 2014. Unfortunately you win with goals, and we failed both times (I f*cking hate Higuain).

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    There's a lot of talk about that game with Peru, but even though my parents hadn't even met by then, I've seen videos of that WC and that Argentina team had a sh!tload of talent and was formidable all around. Maybe we did receive a helping hand, but it's not as obvious as it's been made out to be and certainly far from the only or main reason we won.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    There's a lot of talk about that game with Peru, but even though my parents hadn't even met by then, I've seen videos of that WC and that Argentina team had a sh!tload of talent and was formidable all around. Maybe we did receive a helping hand, but it's not as obvious as it's been made out to be and certainly far from the only or main reason we won.
    Maradona was already incredibly good at Argentinos Juniors but wasn’t able to make final roster with around 16. No one thought Menotti made a mistake.

There were talks about doping before the finals, sponsored by the junta. Supposedly Peru’s GK was Argentinian, that Argentina gave some money to Peru like there’s no any money in Peru.

Argentina was just better and able to reach the final by better goal difference compared to Brazil. Brazil was really good, with Zico and other notable players, but not quite as good as Argentina in 78’. It was within the possibilities for Argentina to win 6:0 vs Peru and 3:1 vs Netherlands without Cruyff, not sure what people complain about.

Kempes, Pasarella, Ardiles, Bertoni, Figliol, Tarantini, Luque, Houseman, Norberto just great talent literally everywhere. Particularly on offense. I was 100% sure they would repeat in ‘82 with those players plus Maradona and Díaz, but most players were past their primes and Italy and Brazil proved better.
    Last edited by dunkman; 11-26-2022 at 05:48 PM.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    dunkman, where are you from?

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Originally from Belgrade, Serbia. When was 15 my family moved the North of Peru, I stayed more than 25 years in Latin America, mostly in Peru. Then emigrated to Montreal, Canada some 10 years ago.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Originally from Belgrade, Serbia. When was 15 my family moved the North of Peru, I stayed more than 25 years in Latin America, mostly in Peru. Then emigrated to Montreal, Canada some 10 years ago.
    Given that you know your football (not your likely North American fan) and basketball (rare as a non Argentinian or Brazilian South American) from way back, European origin was likely, so you having Balkan roots was among the possibilities I thought of. Cool.

Thread Information