Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oldie but goodie.
    Was not a Warrant fan, but believe they totally nailed it with this song.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Chumpdumper no need for you to pay rent on this one.
    It's only a song with no racism you can feign.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...I don't know what to say about Warrant. From what I've read or seen, they really didn't want to go the route of the hair band ballad group.
    I liked this song. As well as a few of heavier tracks on the next CD. They weren't great but they put out some good songs. I'll stand by that.
    Same with Winger for that matter.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...I don't know what to say about Warrant. From what I've read or seen, they really didn't want to go the route of the hair band ballad group.
    I liked this song. As well as a few of heavier tracks on the next CD. They weren't great but they put out some good songs. I'll stand by that.
    Same with Winger for that matter.
    Also, their songs are better if you don't watch the videos.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wait...why is there a thread for this one song?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wait...why is there a thread for this one song?
    Why not?

Make it easier to stay on subject.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is the song that should have been Warrant’s defining moment. Their 1990 album was recorded and ready to go. It was going to be called Uncle Tom’s Cabin, and they were going to stake an attempt at a slightly more serious musical direction on the strength of this piece.

It might have even worked. But their label, Columbia, told them they needed another song, something catchy that might be a hit at radio. In about 15 minutes, singer Jani Lane knocked out the lyrics to a shallow three-chorder called “Cherry Pie,” essentially a three-minute string of sexual references, and the rest is history. When the album came out, the le was Cherry Pie, the song was the lead single and a huge hit, and Warrant’s fate was pretty much sealed.

When I heard that singer Jani Lane, born John Kennedy Oswald, was found dead in a hotel room on Thursday at the age of 47, I intended to write about that record. But as I listened to songs from it, trying to decide what angle to take, my mind kept drifting back to “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” getting hung up on that acoustic intro and the driving heavy riff underneath the verse.

The song opens with an impressive, bluesy acoustic intro that’s quite possibly the best 33-second piece of music to be found on any Warrant record. Funnily, it wasn’t recorded by either guitarist Joey Allen or Erik Turner. (In fact, there’s some speculation that the two didn’t play on the record at all.) Instead, it was laid down by Lane’s brother, Eric Oswald. That’s followed by a clean riff, backed with banjo and harmonica, that’s just a bit darker than anything to be found on the band’s debut record Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.

Over that lick, Lane sets the scene for the story of a boy and his uncle out fishing when they witness a sheriff and deputy dumping bodies into the water. (No, it doesn’t have anything to do with Harriet Beecher Stowe’s classic novel.) Just before the dirty lawmen show up, a thick distorted guitar riff kicks in. It’s a simple E-G-A power chord progression, but it’s irresistible in its catchiness. Like most of Warrant’s work, the song is pretty basic, but as I sit here listening to it over and over, I have to admit that it was very effective, and almost certainly the best song they ever recorded.

“Uncle Tom’s Cabin” could have signaled a change in the band’s direction. It could have gained them some respectability and made them less of the punchline that they became. Instead, a tune with such clever turns of phrase as “So I mixed up the batter and she licked the beater” came first, and became probably their best-known song. While “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” was a hit for the band, it was overshadowed by the le track, which was essentially a throw-away to please the record label.

Maybe it wouldn’t have made a difference, though. Admittedly, Cherry Pie is a very uneven record. For every hit like “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” and “Mr. Rainmaker,” there are notable misses. But for four minutes at least, we heard the kind of song the band was capable of when hitting on all cylinders, and the good pieces on this record lead directly into a much stronger third album in Dog Eat Dog.

The current incarnation of Warrant doesn’t include Jani Lane, and hasn’t since 2004. Since his departure from the band, he’d struggled with his health, as do ented on the reality show “Celebrity Fit Club,” and had problems with the law, including a couple of DUI arrests. He’d recently been working on side projects, solo work and filling in as the singer for Great White while Jack Russell was recovering from surgery, by all accounts, doing a good job of it. He was also working on a new record with producer Dito Godwin and is scheduled to appear on an upcoming episode of VH1 Classic’s “That Metal Show,” which was taped in July.

Lane won’t be remembered as one of the greats of rock ‘n’ roll, or as an innovator who had a big impact on music. But for folks my age, his voice was part of the soundtrack of a lot of good times, and there’s definitely something to be said for that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^ That's what I'm talking about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

“Uncle Tom’s Cabin” could have signaled a change in the band’s direction. It could have gained them some respectability and made them less of the punchline that they became.
    They were a punchline after their first album. I don't think you recover from that. Take your ing money and be happy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They were a punchline after their first album. I don't think you recover from that. Take your ing money and be happy.
    case in point

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is the song that should have been Warrant’s defining moment. Their 1990 album was recorded and ready to go. It was going to be called Uncle Tom’s Cabin, and they were going to stake an attempt at a slightly more serious musical direction on the strength of this piece.

It might have even worked. But their label, Columbia, told them they needed another song, something catchy that might be a hit at radio. In about 15 minutes, singer Jani Lane knocked out the lyrics to a shallow three-chorder called “Cherry Pie,” essentially a three-minute string of sexual references, and the rest is history. When the album came out, the le was Cherry Pie, the song was the lead single and a huge hit, and Warrant’s fate was pretty much sealed.

When I heard that singer Jani Lane, born John Kennedy Oswald, was found dead in a hotel room on Thursday at the age of 47, I intended to write about that record. But as I listened to songs from it, trying to decide what angle to take, my mind kept drifting back to “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” getting hung up on that acoustic intro and the driving heavy riff underneath the verse.

The song opens with an impressive, bluesy acoustic intro that’s quite possibly the best 33-second piece of music to be found on any Warrant record. Funnily, it wasn’t recorded by either guitarist Joey Allen or Erik Turner. (In fact, there’s some speculation that the two didn’t play on the record at all.) Instead, it was laid down by Lane’s brother, Eric Oswald. That’s followed by a clean riff, backed with banjo and harmonica, that’s just a bit darker than anything to be found on the band’s debut record Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.

Over that lick, Lane sets the scene for the story of a boy and his uncle out fishing when they witness a sheriff and deputy dumping bodies into the water. (No, it doesn’t have anything to do with Harriet Beecher Stowe’s classic novel.) Just before the dirty lawmen show up, a thick distorted guitar riff kicks in. It’s a simple E-G-A power chord progression, but it’s irresistible in its catchiness. Like most of Warrant’s work, the song is pretty basic, but as I sit here listening to it over and over, I have to admit that it was very effective, and almost certainly the best song they ever recorded.

“Uncle Tom’s Cabin” could have signaled a change in the band’s direction. It could have gained them some respectability and made them less of the punchline that they became. Instead, a tune with such clever turns of phrase as “So I mixed up the batter and she licked the beater” came first, and became probably their best-known song. While “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” was a hit for the band, it was overshadowed by the le track, which was essentially a throw-away to please the record label.

Maybe it wouldn’t have made a difference, though. Admittedly, Cherry Pie is a very uneven record. For every hit like “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” and “Mr. Rainmaker,” there are notable misses. But for four minutes at least, we heard the kind of song the band was capable of when hitting on all cylinders, and the good pieces on this record lead directly into a much stronger third album in Dog Eat Dog.

The current incarnation of Warrant doesn’t include Jani Lane, and hasn’t since 2004. Since his departure from the band, he’d struggled with his health, as do ented on the reality show “Celebrity Fit Club,” and had problems with the law, including a couple of DUI arrests. He’d recently been working on side projects, solo work and filling in as the singer for Great White while Jack Russell was recovering from surgery, by all accounts, doing a good job of it. He was also working on a new record with producer Dito Godwin and is scheduled to appear on an upcoming episode of VH1 Classic’s “That Metal Show,” which was taped in July.

Lane won’t be remembered as one of the greats of rock ‘n’ roll, or as an innovator who had a big impact on music. But for folks my age, his voice was part of the soundtrack of a lot of good times, and there’s definitely something to be said for that.
    I figured that was plagiarized.

https://somethingelsereviews.com/201...ms-cabin-1990/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

a thick distorted guitar riff kicks in. It’s a simple E-G-A power chord progression, but it’s irresistible in its catchiness. Like most of Warrant’s work, the song is pretty basic, but as I sit here listening to it over and over, I have to admit that it was very effective, and almost certainly the best song they ever recorded.
    Uncle Toms Cabin and Dokkens Unchain the Night have some similarities in simple but deep three corder behind the lead. Lynch and the Warrant lead/rhyming similar sounds on parts of songs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Lol I don't know how or when but I saw do entaries on both bands.

I remember Janie Lane saying he thought he hit a home run with Heaven (which was a solid song for them) but then he walked into the record company and saw their wall poster taken down for a Seattle band and had an ominous feeling

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I also remember Don Dokken arguing with the execs about those outfits, saying they looked like pirates

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Also lol wow at Janie Lanes real name.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Did this Warrant a thread?

Thread Information