Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure if that is reasonable as DJM got 3 unprotected picks and a pick swap with a borderline playoff team, two unprotected picks shouldn't get them much in that light. But then again, the Lakers don't have to be reasonable.
    Yes, but think about the timing. Atlanta may be good for years or may not. We don't know if those picks will be lottery or not. We just know that they will be first round picks and Atlanta took the reasonable risk that they will keep the team together and that it will be a playoff team. Those Laker picks are far enough down the road that Lebron will be retired and AD will likely be gone too. They don't have any first round picks between now and when those picks convey. It is highly likely those are going to be lottery picks. Hard to see them taking the risk under the cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but think about the timing. Atlanta may be good for years or may not. We don't know if those picks will be lottery or not. We just know that they will be first round picks and Atlanta took the reasonable risk that they will keep the team together and that it will be a playoff team. Those Laker picks are far enough down the road that Lebron will be retired and AD will likely be gone too. They don't have any first round picks between now and when those picks convey. It is highly likely those are going to be lottery picks. Hard to see them taking the risk under the cir stances.
    Can people stop saying the Lakers don't have first round picks? They do. They're just swaps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers acting like we are the Grizzlies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers acting like we are the Grizzlies
    Jerry West is NOT walking through that door.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah ... and the latest I've heard is that the Lakers actually lowered their most recent offer to two second round picks after their slow start.
    How does that make any sense lmao? Especially with Doug somehow playing his way from negative asset to decent enough asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    J-Rich alone is worth a protected first round pick. What the are the Lakers thinking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While the folks on this website have rightfully pegged Westbrook's (negative) value, I still don't think it is in the Lakers interest to pay the hefty market price of moving him. Getting rid of Russ ain't going to make them a contender, so there is no real need to dump two future unprotected picks just to shed his salary. They have probably just accepted the fact that they are going to be picking wherever the Pels pick this year, no need to throw away more good assets just to save Russ's salary.

As I write this, I admit I don't fully know the cap nuances of getting a trade exemption for use later, etc. But if they move Russ and their two future tradeable picks, its not like they'll have any assets to acquire anyone else into a TE anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    J-Rich alone is worth a protected first round pick. What the are the Lakers thinking?
    Probably more like two 2nds or packaged along with the Spurs 2nd to get a top 20ish pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably more like two 2nds or packaged along with the Spurs 2nd to get a top 20ish pick.
    I remember back in the days where players like Brent Barry and Kurt Thomas costed a 1st round pick to the Spurs. J-Rich is easily on that tier for contending teams that need some shooting and scoring off the bench, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While the folks on this website have rightfully pegged Westbrook's (negative) value, I still don't think it is in the Lakers interest to pay the hefty market price of moving him. Getting rid of Russ ain't going to make them a contender, so there is no real need to dump two future unprotected picks just to shed his salary. They have probably just accepted the fact that they are going to be picking wherever the Pels pick this year, no need to throw away more good assets just to save Russ's salary.

As I write this, I admit I don't fully know the cap nuances of getting a trade exemption for use later, etc. But if they move Russ and their two future tradeable picks, its not like they'll have any assets to acquire anyone else into a TE anyway.
    I agree. By now, they've convinced Westbrook to come off the bench and that's balanced things more. Anthony Davis has woken up from his thousand years sleep and is playing like an actual basketball player. They're still not great, but trading Russ isn't really the answer. Finding help otherwise might be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember back in the days where players like Brent Barry and Kurt Thomas costed a 1st round pick to the Spurs. J-Rich is easily on that tier for contending teams that need some shooting and scoring off the bench, tbh.
    spurs signed barry as a free agent. we traded barry and a first for kurt thomas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only incorrect, but irrelevant because draft picks are more valued today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a team like, let's say, the Nuggets, feel like they are a piece like Josh Richardson away from completing their championship team, they will trade away their first round pick without thinking it twice, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a team like, let's say, the Nuggets, feel like they are a piece like Josh Richardson away from completing their championship team, they will trade away their first round pick without thinking it twice, tbh.
    Exactly. All FRPs are not equal. We’re not going to pull a lottery pick, but a FRP from a playoff team is quite possible. Even a good front office will pull a kid who MIGHT be something in 3 years. Playoff teams want help now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Draft picks are more valued now, why are they getting traded like candy?
    Even the Spurs traded DJM for a haul and Gobert?
    Jrue?
    Picks are getting traded for semi-crap players with money on contracts like it's an expected thing.

Just asking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ So far Hawks’ and Bucks’ price has been justified.

Spurs could end up getting the 15-18th picks in 2025 and 27 from ATL, no swap in 26, and a few seconds from that CHA pick. The price for Jru was worth it the moment Bucks won the chip.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Draft picks are more valued now, why are they getting traded like candy?
    Even the Spurs traded DJM for a haul and Gobert?
    Jrue?
    Picks are getting traded for semi-crap players with money on contracts like it's an expected thing.

Just asking.
    That's what I meant though. Instead of teams trading a 1st for a role player like Richardson, they're trading a bunch for superstars (with one glaring omission) or stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I meant though. Instead of teams trading a 1st for a role player like Richardson, they're trading a bunch for superstars (with one glaring omission) or stars.
    Okay. I understand better now.
    Thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs signed barry as a free agent. we traded barry and a first for kurt thomas
    Because of that, the nba changed the rules as well

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s the sense here: do we cut this deal if it’s a top 3 protected 2027 LAL FRP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s the sense here: do we cut this deal if it’s a top 3 protected 2027 LAL FRP?
    That might buy you cap space rental for Westbrook, but if you want positive assets on top, you’ll need to put more on the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing is on the table. Two useless front offices who have no clue how to get a trade done. It’s not hard to fleece LA, unless you are PATFO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing is on the table. Two useless front offices who have no clue how to get a trade done. It’s not hard to fleece LA, unless you are PATFO.
    The best thing that could happen is Indy doubles down on Turner and/or trades him to GSW to take him off the table for the Lakers. Honestly though, I think the biggest headwind is LeBron. I’m shocked at home comfortable he seems to be with punting this season and getting stats.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That might buy you cap space rental for Westbrook, but if you want positive assets on top, you’ll need to put more on the table.
    Sure, but we overstate the value of our guys. Doug and Josh probably wash each other out in terms of value. Maybe we get a second?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but we overstate the value of our guys. Doug and Josh probably wash each other out in terms of value. Maybe we get a second?
    So, don’t include Doug.

Thread Information