Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-made...150027337.html

“Before the season, the Lakers offered a lottery-protected first-round pick and Russell Westbrook to the Spurs for Josh Richardson and Doug McDermott, HoopsHype has learned. The Spurs, however, wanted an unprotected first-round pick for taking on Westbrook’s salary with the expectation he’d be waived, which the Lakers were unwilling to do, and talks stalled.”

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s an insane amount of money for lottery protection. Top 3 protection maybe. But an unprotected 1st is reasonable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelinka is not going to yield draft capital of two unprotected first round picks unless he is getting a true difference maker, basically, a star. That means the Spurs have no trades to offer since Richardson and McD might help improve their team, but doesn't put them in the top 5 in the west and likely only gets them into the home court stages of a play-in. No way the Lakers trade two likely lottery picks for a mid-tier team that can quickly come undone with AD injured every other week and Lebron being 37 with a lot of miles on those knees. If those two can't carry them into a top 4, then it's time to play out the season and then hope to get better once the Westbrook contract expires and see if they can improve with free agency. I don't think they will trade AD or Lebron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already knew this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelinka is not going to yield draft capital of two unprotected first round picks unless he is getting a true difference maker, basically, a star. That means the Spurs have no trades to offer since Richardson and McD might help improve their team, but doesn't put them in the top 5 in the west and likely only gets them into the home court stages of a play-in. No way the Lakers trade two likely lottery picks for a mid-tier team that can quickly come undone with AD injured every other week and Lebron being 37 with a lot of miles on those knees. If those two can't carry them into a top 4, then it's time to play out the season and then hope to get better once the Westbrook contract expires and see if they can improve with free agency. I don't think they will trade AD or Lebron.
    No reason to trade with them then.

Just because they won't doesn't mean we have to give in to what they will do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, giving up two trade assets (even if they aren't great ones) plus expecting ownership to just eat $47M for a 15th+ pick is ing crazy.

But I'm sure there are people out there who will be like "SEE SPURS NEVER MAKE ANY MOVES!!!"
    Last edited by Dex; 11-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers only have themselves to blame for assembling such a mismatched collection of players and going all in on Westbrook, but it will be fascinating to see what they do. Their record might be so poor by Dec 15th that they're forced to make early moves because waiting until the Feb 9th deadline might be too late. LeBron is still a top player, but is already showing signs of slowing down, and to wave the surrender flag on a year of your 38 year old superstar's career would be a pretty dramatic move, especially in a year when you owe the Pelicans a pick swap. Ahhh, schadenfreude-- for the fans of 29 other teams!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see the Lakers get hot for a bit to give them a false sense of hope then have WB revert to the mean. That's when there would be pressure on their FO to make something happen. As long as they are bottom dwellers there isn't any pressure to make a move that gives up future assets.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Lakers basically think the Spurs should have ate Westbrook's $47 million salary for nothing since Richardson is worth a lottery protected first. Yeah no thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already knew this
    Yeah ... and the latest I've heard is that the Lakers actually lowered their most recent offer to two second round picks after their slow start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would move on from this. 12/15 and deadline will yield better options for the team (I hope).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think as time moves on, the ask increases from us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as they are bottom dwellers there isn't any pressure to make a move that gives up future assets.
    In a sense, though, finishing this season with a poor record gives up their 2023 draft pick to the Pelicans.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 11-22-2022 at 07:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah ... and the latest I've heard is that the Lakers actually lowered their most recent offer to two second round picks after their slow start.
    probably top-45 protected, too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are probably just hoping the Spurs make that move so they can keep tanking. Depending on the year, those second round picks could be pretty good. I mean, they are probably top 3 in the 2nd round if they are in the next 3 years. But certainly the Spurs have to have enough players to field a team and even if they trade no one, that is better than trading any of their assets for anything less than a first round pick. But I would say Spurs should consider it if the picks are top 3 protected or one unprotected but it being the soonest year of the two. I mean, those are surefire lottery picks they way this team is scheduled to implode once Lebron ages out and AD has his 3 season ending injury in a row.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure if that is reasonable as DJM got 3 unprotected picks and a pick swap with a borderline playoff team, two unprotected picks shouldn't get them much in that light. But then again, the Lakers don't have to be reasonable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao nice try L.A

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jrich for a first or bust

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of the -package they were trying to offer for Kawhi. Ha ha. No.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could get lottery protected pick elsewhere without having to buy out Westbrick for those guys. Good call on the trade

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FTL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha no we are doing YOU a favor. We don't NEED to trade.

drop the protections

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll trade you Romeo Langford for two 2nd round picks. How does that sound ? Sounds almost as stupid as dumping 47 million dollar Westbrick, and a pair of seconds for two pretty useful spurs players. Get real Polinka.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of the -package they were trying to offer for Kawhi. Ha ha. No.
    LOL Lakers acting like Westbrook isn't an extremely negative asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the Lakers wallow in their own misery.

Thread Information