Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There should be a place to gather all of these together imo.

First up is this podcast with Brian Windhorst.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000586406059

He said two things about Poeltl: the Spurs probably want to re-sign him in free agency, and the Celtics are interested.

The Celtics are certainly in win-now mode and just last season were willing to include a minimally (top 1) protected 2028 first round swap in the Derrick White trade. They owe their 2023 first to Indiana (unless it falls in the top 12, which has an almost zero chance of happening) but they own their own firsts in 2024-2029 other than that 2028 pick swap that the Spurs already have.

If the Spurs really want an unprotected first for Poeltl, Boston (2025/6/7/9) might be their best chance. Boston can also add in another swap or convert the 2028 swap into an unprotected first outright if the Spurs insist on more.

I don't know if the Celtics will be trying to unload salary into the Spurs cap space at the same time, but given that they are in win-now mode I doubt they would want to dump Brogdon (2 years after this one, $45M) or Smart (3 years, $60M).

I'm not sure who the Spurs could take back in return, though. Gallinari (lol) has a player option for $6.8M next season and the Celtics don't have a lot of low salary ballast.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure who the Spurs could take back in return, though. Gallinari (lol) has a player option for $6.8M next season and the Celtics don't have a lot of low salary ballast.
    Gallinari+Pritchard+picks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gallinari+Pritchard+picks
    Unsure if Gallinari can be traded to the Spurs until the season is over.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Gallinari cant be traded back to the Spurs this season he'd have to be shipped off to Indy or Utah in a three team deal for salaries to match. Spurs supplying a second rounder to the third team should do the trick.

Jak and Richardson to the Bulls for Vuch works salary wise. Maybe the Bulls modify the protections on the 2025 first to unprotected. Its currently top 10 protected.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless it’s a fleecing I’d rather resign Poetl. He’s barely out of the timeline and plays team basketball. I know the popular opinion is that he’s easy to replace but he’s a high level glue guy and then some.

Our team has shown great progress and we’re really only a player or two away. All this cap space too.

There is a lot of value keeping Poetl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it. I’d argue that the Spurs should be buyers not sellers. We have a lot of nice pieces.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless it’s a fleecing I’d rather resign Poetl. He’s barely out of the timeline and plays team basketball. I know the popular opinion is that he’s easy to replace but he’s a high level glue guy and then some.

Our team has shown great progress and we’re really only a player or two away. All this cap space too.

They're 28th in net rating and one player away from what?

If it's championship contention, they'd need an MVP caliber player (only the hardest thing to get) and depending on the type, another player ranging from All-Star - All-NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it. I’d argue that the Spurs should be buyers not sellers. We have a lot of nice pieces.
    we have some nice pieces, but unless we have "the" piece somewhere, it'll just keep us in play-in purgatory, or maybe just above that

spurs shouldnt be buyers until they feel they have "the" guy. i'm actually glad primo is gone so the FO doesnt have the wrangle with their delusions that Primo was that guy

im not opposed to re-signing Poeltl but would definitely prioritize trading him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the cap space the team has, it wouldn't surprise me if they took on someone at the trade deadline that an under performing team wants to unload.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A "high level" glue guy? We have never made it out the 1st round of the playoffs with him on our team. What is high level about that?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am all for keeping Poetl if we stay in the 1 to 5 draft range but if we going into 12 to 15 range he has to go because that type of pick is not going to move the needle for us. You know those high ankle sprains can take months to properly heal.....

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree Poeltl is not at all easy to replace and I'd also much rather resign him than trade him, but those aren't really the choices the Spurs have. More likely it's trade him or lose him for nothing in free agency. I wouldn't resign here if I was Jakob unless the money was stupidly high vs other options. Not when the Spurs are small market team years away from being playoff quality. Unless the Spurs are getting strong indications Jakob wants to stay here they have to trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Celtics owe their '23 1st to Indiana, so they can't trade their '24 pick, and the '25 pick shouldn't be that good plus we already have the Bulls' pick that year. So maybe Robert Williams + unprotected first (2027 or 2029)? Williams is a talented young center signed on a long term, reasonable deal... we could rehab him and keep him or up his trade value and flip him. He's injury prone and that's a risk, but it would:
    1) give us a long term replacement for Poeltl
    2) guarantee we don't lose him for nothing or overpay to keep him
    3) help us get a better pick in '23
    4) give us another potential golden ticket, albeit far away in the future.
    I would consider something like that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not for 1 protected 1st. He is a developmental piece much like Tre and Doug. I think you look at MEM and how they value good veteran centers even with a young roster. Even if we hit the jackpot you don't want Wemby playing the center his first few years. If we get Scoot then he is perfect for developing him as a pick and roll ball handler. You don't want to be DET or HOU, they are developing their primary initiators on hard mode because their centers can't set good screens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're 28th in net rating and one player away from what?

If it's championship contention, they'd need an MVP caliber player (only the hardest thing to get) and depending on the type, another player ranging from All-Star - All-NBA.
    we have some nice pieces, but unless we have "the" piece somewhere, it'll just keep us in play-in purgatory, or maybe just above that

spurs shouldnt be buyers until they feel they have "the" guy. i'm actually glad primo is gone so the FO doesnt have the wrangle with their delusions that Primo was that guy

im not opposed to re-signing Poeltl but would definitely prioritize trading him
    I completely see why anyone would take this stance but we’re doing more with less than any team in the league. I’m not so sure we need a franchise player to break through to the next level. Another player that fits the Keldon/Vassell mold would probably get us into the playoffs and we have a fair amount of draft picks to poach other players.

We could be relevant without having to pull a franchise altering player.

Playing team ball has been worth its weight in gold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Poeltl is not at all easy to replace and I'd also much rather resign him than trade him, but those aren't really the choices the Spurs have. More likely it's trade him or lose him for nothing in free agency. I wouldn't resign here if I was Jakob unless the money was stupidly high vs other options. Not when the Spurs are small market team years away from being playoff quality. Unless the Spurs are getting strong indications Jakob wants to stay here they have to trade him.
    They don't have to trade him unless someone is actually offering something. They can honestly just let him walk for a late-first and bad money. Moreover, the Spurs don't have to offer stupid money to sign him, given that many other teams can't offer more than the TPMLE. If the Spurs have an interest in trading Jakob, they can re-sign him and then trade him. Or they can sign-and-trade him. DeRozan showed you can't feel compelled to just give guys away because you're worried about their free-agent status.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of the teams projected to have significant cap space next summer - Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Indiana, Lakers, OKC, Orlando, Sacramento, maybe Utah - most would clearly not need to invest heavily in a center. Those that do wouldn't really give Poeltl a better win-now situation, so I'm pretty optimistic that the Spurs could re-sign him if they want to or arrange a sign and trade to a playoff team/contender if it comes to that.

For this reason I'm totally against trading Poeltl for a late first round pick, it's just not worth it. Unless it's an awesome offer, say a Vuch to Chicago type of a deal, I'd gladly take the chance to wait for next summer and resolve the situation then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more chatter the better. I’m still liking BOS, NOLA, TOR or GSW as best realistic partners if a trade happens before the deadline. Those are the only teams I see him willing to re-sign with, and thus enticed to give serious offers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more chatter the better. I’m still liking BOS, NOLA, TOR or GSW as best realistic partners if a trade happens before the deadline. Those are the only teams I see him willing to re-sign with, and thus enticed to give serious offers.
    None of those teams can give us a great pick. Nolo has Dyson Daniels if I remember. He’s a good prospect kinda buried on that team. A pick and Daniels might be interesting.

GS doesn’t have much. Their prospects have failed them. Wiseman has no trade value today. Maybe his time in the G will have him looking better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of those teams can give us a great pick. Nolo has Dyson Daniels if I remember. He’s a good prospect kinda buried on that team. A pick and Daniels might be interesting.

GS doesn’t have much. Their prospects have failed them. Wiseman has no trade value today. Maybe his time in the G will have him looking better.
    NOLA ain't trading Dyson Daniels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors don't have a completely ty record, but they are awful on the road and the pieces don't seem to be there to internally improve.

They need wing defenders, which we aren't selling. They might be interested in Poeltl. Their salaries are hard to work with.

Wiseman is pretty much a complete bust at this point. Only Thabeet, Anthony Bennett, and Wiseman have been demoted to G-League play at this point in their careers.

Kuminga has promise, but by most accounts he's selfish, arrogant, lazy, and doesn't want to work. Bought an orange Lambo or something as soon as he could. Not that that's a bad thing, but there's a lot of talk about how he was the same before getting drafted.

Moody I think has some future, which is why I don't think they'll trade him. But he's basically the same player he was in college, I think even the same shooting percentages.

Baldwin is maybe even more of a crazy swing of the bat. He was awful in college. Not sure why they kept drafting these sorts of players.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs want a unprotected pick then GS and BOS is there best hope because Jak could be the difference between winning a championship and coming up just short. Teams like the Bulls and Raps would be stupid to surrender a unprotected first rounder because even with Jak they're still not legit le contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs want a unprotected pick then GS and BOS is there best hope because Jak could be the difference between winning a championship and coming up just short. Teams like the Bulls and Raps would be stupid to surrender a unprotected first rounder because even with Jak they're still not legit le contenders.
    Yeah, I think a championship is nearly Boston's if they want it. Robert Williams is constantly injured. I think their salaries make a trade for Poeltl very hard, however.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think a championship is nearly Boston's if they want it. Robert Williams is constantly injured. I think their salaries make a trade for Poeltl very hard, however.
    Gallinari would need to be shipped to Indy or Utah since he cant be traded here after the Murray deal. Gallo and Pritchard match Jak's salary. A second rounder would have to be sent to the third team for taking back the Gallo contract.

I could honestly see them offering Williams for Jak. That deal makes sense for both teams timelines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Boston offers Timelord for Poeltl. When he's in their line up their defense is world class, plus he's on a bargain contract through 2026. Poeltl would probably be a half season rental in a push to win a championship. If anything, the Celtics would be trying to double down on defense like they did with Derrick White behind Smart and Brown. They'd probably need to include Gallinari to make the numbers work, but he can't be traded back to San Antonio this year, so a third team would need to be involved-- someone like Indiana, who has cap space. I could see an offer something like this:

Spurs get Kornet, Hauser, and 1st round pick (various years are available)

Celtics get Poeltl

Indian gets Gallinari and one or more 2nd round picks, from one or both of Celtics/Spurs

I'm not advocating for this, but the advantages would be seen as this: Kornet and Hauser both have the potential to be extremely low cost decent quality bench depth who'd minimally affect San Antonio's cap space (they'd actually create more cap space), losing Poeltl would help the tank in the short term dream of getting Wemby, & the Spurs would potentially have another home run swing to pair with their 2026 pick swap. Things change fast in the NBA, and if by some crazy turn of events Tatum is no longer a Celtic in 4 years, the Spurs might be in the same position that the Pelicans are now with their Laker pick.

Thread Information