Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FDA approves most expensive drug ever, a $3.5 million-per-dose gene therapy for hemophilia B

Washington — U.S. health regulators on Tuesday approved the first gene therapy for hemophilia, a $3.5 million one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder. The Food and Drug Administration cleared Hemgenix, an IV treatment for adults with hemophilia B, the less common form of the genetic disorder which primarily affects men.

Currently, patients receive frequent, expensive IVs of a protein that helps blood clot and prevent bleeding.

Drugmaker CSL Behring, based in Pennsylvania, announced the $3.5 million price tag shortly after the FDA approval, saying its drug would ultimately reduce health care costs because patients would have fewer bleeding incidents and need fewer clotting treatments.

According to a study cited by the National Library of Medicine, the price makes Hemgenix the most expensive medicine in the world, easily topping Novartis' Zolgensma gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), which costs right around $2 million per dose and is also a single-dose medicine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-app...-hemophilia-b/

---

Probably $250/dose outside the US, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    between 30,000 – 33,000 people with hemophilia in the US. All races and ethnic groups are affected. Hemophilia B is four times less common than hemophilia A. -Google result

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    between 30,000 – 33,000 people with hemophilia in the US. All races and ethnic groups are affected. Hemophilia B is four times less common than hemophilia A. -Google result
    I doubt insurance will even cover this, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt insurance will even cover this, tbh...
    And no hemophilia B forgiveness from POTUS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And no hemophilia B forgiveness from POTUS.
    Somebody will sue to have Medicare cover it for them... then we're all going to wonder how come we spend so much per capita in healthcare...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody will sue to have Medicare cover it for them... then we're all going to wonder how come we spend so much per capita in healthcare...
    At that total (30K) we could support them all for 30% or less of the proposed student loan bailout. But then you're going to have patients with other diseases crying foul because their medication isn't covered. The business minded solution is to attack it from a dilution of cost by having more people with the disease. That way the drug company can still make the same profit but the patient can see a lower per capita cost.

Ib4 pgardn takes that seriously.
    Last edited by DMC; 11-26-2022 at 02:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At that total (30K) we could support them all for 30% or less of the proposed student loan bailout. But then you're going to have patients with other diseases crying foul because their medication isn't covered. The business minded solution is to attack it from a dilution of cost by having more people with the disease. That way the drug company can still make the same profit but the patient can see a lower per capita cost.

Ib4 pgardn takes that seriously.
    Well, it's not like if you fix the current people, it stops. 1 in 25k people are born with hemophilia B in the US. And basically, unlike people getting a loan, they really can't opt out of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it's not like if you fix the current people, it stops. 1 in 25k people are born with hemophilia B in the US. And basically, unlike people getting a loan, they really can't opt out of it.
    x-linked so 1 in 25K male births, which is roughly 1 in 50K births.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    x-linked so 1 in 25K male births, which is roughly 1 in 50K births.
    Wow! That totally changes the argument!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "well actually" guy, well actuallying per/par

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It changes the cost by half. What's the argument? Seemed like just a discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "well actually" guy, well actuallying per/par
    Three uneducated people third party guffawing a medical discussion they don't understand

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three uneducated people third party guffawing a medical discussion they don't understand
    DMC pretending he's medically educated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC pretending he's medically educated
    This is you admitting you indeed don't understand

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BigPharma..... and Pfizer is at the top of the culprit list.

Also, private health insurance should be regulated big time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BigPharma..... and Pfizer is at the top of the culprit list.

Also, private health insurance should be regulated big time.
    I prefer capitalism for almost everything, but healthcare should be one of those things where the government comes in and sets price caps (like most of the rest of the civilized world does).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I prefer capitalism for almost everything, but healthcare should be one of those things where the government comes in and sets price caps (like most of the rest of the civilized world does).
    Healthcare yes, education no.

Health care falls under the "life" category of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Health care is a right.

Education... is a privilege, not a right.

As per usual the USA has it bass-ackwards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Healthcare yes, education no.

Health care falls under the "life" category of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Health care is a right.

Education... is a privilege, not a right.

As per usual the USA has it bass-ackwards
    I'd like to see more trade/vocational schools, tbh... it's just difficult since the scam we have going right now where the government backstops expensive loans is making too many schools too much money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see more trade/vocational schools, tbh... it's just difficult since the scam we have going right now where the government backstops expensive loans is making too many schools too much money.
    yes, and the democrats don't want to bite the gnarly greedy hands that feed them. It's corruption.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, and the democrats don't want to bite the gnarly greedy hands that feed them. It's corruption.
    I mean, not sure why single out Democrats. After all, Bernie was the one that wanted to close that handout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, not sure why single out Democrats. After all, Bernie was the one that wanted to close that handout.
    I don't really consider Bernie a true democrat, as made evident by how the DNC bent him over in 2016.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see trade schools along the border to help those who want to live in the US have a marketable skillset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really consider Bernie a true democrat, as made evident by how the DNC bent him over in 2016.
    Certainly a lot closer to Dems than GOP...

I'd like to see trade schools along the border to help those who want to live in the US have a marketable skillset.
    If you're talking immigrants, those people have jobs. Normally the ones citizens don't want to do, despite not getting an education.

Thread Information