Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The he keeps saying Hurdle?

Also not sure why he keeps saying Hurdle will be a key trade deadline target but it somehow depends on the Wembanyama sweepstakes.

What was he drinking?
    In some strange way, think he was doing an (unintentional) homage to Super Troopers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we pause and give Timvp is due? Woj basically recycled his intel about spurs really liking the idea of pairing Jakob and Wemby together etc.

Well done

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A top 10 protected 1st and another big (for some salary balance) is probably all you'll get for him. You might get 2 firsts 5 plus years from now though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we pause and give Timvp is due? Woj basically recycled his intel about spurs really liking the idea of pairing Jakob and Wemby together etc.

Well done
    Well said....

The best thing I heard in there was that there are a few teams showing alot of interest. That should drive up the price..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still gets his ish pushed in by athletic centers.

Certainly by a long shot not all on him, but our defense is worse than it's ever been. I think ppl here overestimate his value and assume we can get 2 FRPs for him as has been reported PATFO wants. We will be lucky to get 1 unprotected. More than likely its gonna be top ten protected or be a pick swap and a SRP.
    I wouldn't hang the Spurs' defense on Poeltl. It's all completely awful perimeter defense.

Poeltl may not be worth 2 FRP but he has a good amount of value. So what if he gets ripped up by the top centers? So does everybody. You can't guard top players anymore. He's still a skilled center with nice hub and help defense value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't hang the Spurs' defense on Poeltl. It's all completely awful perimeter defense.

Poeltl may not be worth 2 FRP but he has a good amount of value. So what if he gets ripped up by the top centers? So does everybody. You can't guard top players anymore. He's still a skilled center with nice hub and help defense value.
    "Certainly by a long shot not all on him, but our defense is worse than it's ever been"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what are the realistic Poeltl trades, and who can beat them? I think it’ll end up being a young prospect and a decent pick max, and it feels like spurs have something like these as standing offers now:

GSW: Wiseman + 2026 FRP
    (earliest tradeable)

TOR: Birch + 2023 FRP (protections)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what are the realistic Poeltl trades, and who can beat them? I think it’ll end up being a young prospect and a decent pick max, and it feels like spurs have something like these as standing offers now:

(earliest tradeable)

Yeah, Toronto is sitting at #7 right now. They’re not trading that pick unless they go on a tear over the next month to climb out of the lottery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Toronto is sitting at #7 right now. They’re not trading that pick unless they go on a tear over the next month to climb out of the lottery.
    Yeah, was thinking 1-14 protected with improving protections in our favor over time of it doesn’t convey.

These are baseline trade. I assume the spurs are holding out for more like getting Moody added or something like that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons mused on his podcast recently that maybe Denver would be a landing spot because they had a 9M trade exception that Jakob could slot into. Problem is Nuggets cant trade a first until 2029. Not sure if they have good young prospects though.

Would Jakob into their exception for 2029(!) FRP and swap rights in some of the out years too be enough?
    Last edited by CGD; 01-15-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

(earliest tradeable)

I doubt Toronto trades their 1st but if they would we definitely should jump on it. I'd do it with very light protections too...like top 3 protected..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team that's wasted countless assets in recent years and is more bereft of anything resembling high end talent than any other can't afford to waste more by prioritizing fit for a relatively miniscule chance (and that's only if they believe it's not rigged) at a generational prospect.

Even in the hypothetical, not only would Collins and Bassey be fine as placeholder C's for a team still needing high pick(s), I'd argue they'd be a better fit than Poeltl.

Between Poeltl and Sochan, most of Wembanyama's minutes would reduce him to a glorified spot up shooter and if Collins were also retained, they'd lack the flexibility to play him much at C.

(earliest tradeable)

Possible stealth Poeltl teams: Thunder, Suns, Kings (Richardson too).

Let's hope they pick it up some or else they're probably a favorite to get a top 2 pick because I doubt the league would be able to help themselves.

The good news is I don't think they'll intentionally tank like the second half of two seasons ago, so they'll probably maintain interest in Poeltl, but want to lottery protect their 1st.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Toronto trades their 1st but if they would we definitely should jump on it. I'd do it with very light protections too...like top 3 protected..
    To be clear I don’t think TOR parts with their 2023 FRP unless it’s lottery protected. The goal for Spurs would be to improve the protections in their favor for 2024 and 25 if it doesn’t convey, while keeping the option of getting another pick this year if they do turn it around.

The thing about Toronto is that their prospects are very meh. I think I’d prefer the Wiseman package all other things being the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Possible stealth Poeltl teams: Thunder, Suns, Kings (Richardson too).
    I wouldn't rule out Chicago or Charlotte either. Charlotte is tanking this season, but if they're set on bouncing right back after collecting the pick (with Lamelo & Bridges back), then Poeltl would make sense for them. Likewise, if Chicago doubles down, they could really use Poeltl. It is in our interest that both those teams improve, because we need Charlotte to make the playoffs in the next 3 years, and also if Chicago gets into the lottery now then the pick they owe us in '25 gets pushed back, as their obligation to Orlando gets postponed and thus ours' too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of maybe Chicago I don’t think any of those other teams mentioned make sense. Jakob is a win now piece given his UFA status, so think more BOS, NOLA, DEN as the others that could be summed to GWG and TOR.

Honestly I don’t get the Raptor interest unless they know he’ll extend there given past ties. Chicago is all over the freaking place and has to be up there on the dumb dumb organizations list.
    Last edited by CGD; 01-15-2023 at 07:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear I don’t think TOR parts with their 2023 FRP unless it’s lottery protected. The goal for Spurs would be to improve the protections in their favor for 2024 and 25 if it doesn’t convey, while keeping the option of getting another pick this year if they do turn it around.

The thing about Toronto is that their prospects are very meh. I think I’d prefer the Wiseman package all other things being the same.
    Trading for a pick as lottery protected that sits at #7 now is basically surrendering the pick option this year. Just kick it into the future, and get 3 REAL chances at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No team is going raw dog for Jak. He is worth a top 10 FRP max.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Toronto has to decide if they take a step back (building around Scottie Barnes, OG Anunoby & Koloko, and trading Van Vleet & Siakam) or doubling down (resigning Van Vleet and keeping Siakam, and maybe trading OG/Scottie Barnes). In the first case, then they could easily trade a protected first (say top 12) + Koloko, or 2 protected firsts, and still have enough to trade for a star.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If tor lottery protected it then it would take 2 1sts for me to trade him there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading for a pick as lottery protected that sits at #7 now is basically surrendering the pick option this year. Just kick it into the future, and get 3 REAL chances at it.
    Middle ground is top 12 protected, which means they're safe from a hypothetical miracle (a la Derrick Rose in Chicago), and with Poeltl aboard you'd expect them to improve right away and they're only 2 games behind Atlanta who's currently 14th, which gives you a significant chance of the pick conveying now. Where there's a will there's a way, the question is: is there a will?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't rule out Chicago or Charlotte either. Charlotte is tanking this season, but if they're set on bouncing right back after collecting the pick (with Lamelo & Bridges back), then Poeltl would make sense for them. Likewise, if Chicago doubles down, they could really use Poeltl. It is in our interest that both those teams improve, because we need Charlotte to make the playoffs in the next 3 years, and also if Chicago gets into the lottery now then the pick they owe us in '25 gets pushed back, as their obligation to Orlando gets postponed and thus ours' too.
    Bulls, maybe. Hornets, that ship has probably sailed. Between Richards and Williams both showing promise, it no longer make sense to give up a relatively significant asset for Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto has to decide if they take a step back (building around Scottie Barnes, OG Anunoby & Koloko, and trading Van Vleet & Siakam) or doubling down (resigning Van Vleet and keeping Siakam, and maybe trading OG/Scottie Barnes). In the first case, then they could easily trade a protected first (say top 12) + Koloko, or 2 protected firsts, and still have enough to trade for a star.
    You forgot GTJ. Toronto is loaded with tradeable assets and a GM who makes PATFO look like school girls. All of those assets will cost a heavy price asking for FRPs and young talent. They aren’t a trading partner unless PATFO want one less pump and dump in the way out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been thinking about a Miami-SA trade based around Duncan Robinson and his awful deal

Duncan Robinson is having a terrible year. Turns 29 in April. Only logging 17.9 mpg, shooting 36.8% overall and 33.1% from 3 with terrible defense.

22-23 - $16.902
    23-24 - $18.154
    24-25 - $19.406
    25-26 - $19.888 (only $9.888 guaranteed)

So he's one of the worst deals around, with almost $48 million still on the books after this year.

Richardson's best year was in Miami. Or they might prefer McDermott. Both guys would help them more and the Spurs can absorb the salary.

Miami pick situation:

They owe the 25 first to OKC protected 1-14 and unprotected in 2026.

They have 0 second rounders of their own until 28, they also have 29. They do have a 2026 second round pick, worst pick among OKC, Dallas or Philadelphia.

What would it be worth to Miami to both get off the money and improve albeit slightly? Maybe they would rather hold onto picks and the salary flotsam in hopes of getting a star player. And because they could go the way of loading picks onto Lowry instead, maybe it's a non starter.

But just for the thought experiment ... For the Spurs to do it, a 23 first & a 28 second to eat $48 million of trash might not be enough. Maybe he could rehabilitate his value with SA and then he traded later but I doubt it.

Maybe fold Poeltl into it, they could play him and Bam together though not ideal, but can give them the chance to have Bam as the roamer and chase guys around. Gives them a big body to go against embiid, and a better pairing against Williams/Horford.

Maybe 23 & 28 with Duncan Robinson, Dedmon, and Jovic to the Spurs for Poeltl and Richardson (or McDermott) ?
    Last edited by objective; 01-16-2023 at 04:07 AM. Reason: fixed Miami second round picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been thinking about a Miami-SA trade based around Duncan Robinson and his awful deal

Duncan Robinson is having a terrible year. Turns 29 in April. Only logging 17.9 mpg, shooting 36.8% overall and 33.1% from 3 with terrible defense.

22-23 - $16.902
    23-24 - $18.154
    24-25 - $19.406
    25-26 - $19.888 (only $9.888 guaranteed)

So he's one of the worst deals around, with almost $48 million still on the books after this year.

Richardson's best year was in Miami. Or they might prefer McDermott. Both guys would help them more and the Spurs can absorb the salary.

Miami pick situation:

They owe the 25 first to OKC protected 1-14 and unprotected in 2026.

They have 0 second rounders of their own until 28, they also have 29. They do have a 2026 second round pick, worst pick among OKC, Dallas or Philadelphia.

What would it be worth to Miami to both get off the money and improve albeit slightly? Maybe they would rather hold onto picks and the salary flotsam in hopes of getting a star player. And because they could go the way of loading picks onto Lowry instead, maybe it's a non starter.

But just for the thought experiment ... For the Spurs to do it, a 23 first & a 28 second to eat $48 million of trash might not be enough. Maybe he could rehabilitate his value with SA and then he traded later but I doubt it.

Maybe fold Poeltl into it, they could play him and Bam together though not ideal, but can give them the chance to have Bam as the roamer and chase guys around. Gives them a big body to go against embiid, and a better pairing against Williams/Horford.

Maybe 23 & 28 with Duncan Robinson, Dedmon, and Jovic to the Spurs for Poeltl and Richardson (or McDermott) ?
    Giving two or three positive assets and eating that horrible deal should cost them ALL of those first round picks, either as traded picks or swap options. Duncan Robinson is ing useless. If you think our defense is bad now, just plug his slow ass into the lineup. He’s like a homeless man’s Bertans. No way I’m taking on that awful deal. Twelve years ago, we traded RJ to GS at the deadline with a late FRP for Stephen Jackson’s one year shorter deal, saving $10M. That was the cost of a FRP 12 years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oof that Duncan Robinson deal is so terribly sour wow. Awful production, about to turn 29 (!!!), and on the books for almost 20mm at least 2 more seasons with a 3rd lingering but diminished

Thread Information