Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. So Boston would just give up an unprotected first round pick? I need to look at their roster and see what other players might be in play.
    Guessing PATFO turns it down given they reportedly seem to want 2 FRPs.

I'm not sure I quite understand the devotion the Spurs have to Poeltl. He's a solid player but certainly not a game changer, even defensively where he's supposedly is at his best.

Evidence of this comes from the fact that with Poeltl, the Spurs are currently the WORST DEFENSIVE TEAM EVER ALLOWING A 119.9 DEFENSIVE RATING.

Before I get bombarded that it's not Poeltls fault, let me acknowledge that it's a team sport and they each have blame.

If you get offered a FRP, you take a FRP for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st + Payton Pritchard, filler for Jakob?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still looking over our roster for this Jakob Hurdle guy. Might be new.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah but theres also something really poetic about a guy literally named Duncan Robinson joining the spurs
    Do.Not.Want. Don’t care what his ing name is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guessing PATFO turns it down given they reportedly seem to want 2 FRPs.

I'm not sure I quite understand the devotion the Spurs have to Poeltl. He's a solid player but certainly not a game changer, even defensively where he's supposedly is at his best.

Evidence of this comes from the fact that with Poeltl, the Spurs are currently the WORST DEFENSIVE TEAM EVER ALLOWING A 119.9 DEFENSIVE RATING.

Before I get bombarded that it's not Poeltls fault, let me acknowledge that it's a team sport and they each have blame.

If you get offered a FRP, you take a FRP for him.
    I’m pretty sure they’d take one unprotected FRP in lieu of two protectedFRPs, which was their asking price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do.Not.Want. Don’t care what his ing name is.
    we are years away from contending. take on his deal if we get enough back for it. thats what our cap space is for. not for ownership to give away for some pocket cash

not that i like the specific deal discussed in the thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we are years away from contending. take on his deal if we get enough back for it. thats what our cap space is for. not for ownership to give away for some pocket cash

not that i like the specific deal discussed in the thread
    For 3yrs/$49M, you’d need a handful of FRPs, like 3 minimum, since you could rent the space year by year for that. I don’t want him because I don’t believe Miami would be willing to pay enough to offload his deal, and I don’t want to take less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the last two teams with #1 picks are circling the drain with us, Spurs should be looking for draft capital and future trade chips. This isn’t going to be a one year rebuild. I’d rather hold on onto McBuckets if there isn’t a good deal for him. I don’t think they are trading Poodle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. So Boston would just give up an unprotected first round pick? I need to look at their roster and see what other players might be in play.
    Insurance for Horford and Williams. They could really use a third reliable big. Hurdle would probably start in place of Horford tbh and they could close out with either matchup dependent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl would be a great fit for Boston. He'd be a good defender, but then provide what Derrick White provides. That's a team of tunnel vision iso scorers and Poeltl can be a high-post hub for the offense and on rolls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston is not the best trade partner for Poeltl. They don't have any interesting youngsters, and their 1st rounders are almost 2nd rounders for the next 2/3 years at least. I'd rather the FO explore trade options with Golden State, Toronto, Chicago, and whomever can give us a first rounder in the 15-20 range (or as close to that as possible).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl would be a great fit for Boston. He'd be a good defender, but then provide what Derrick White provides. That's a team of tunnel vision iso scorers and Poeltl can be a high-post hub for the offense and on rolls.
    Agreed; Boston is a well oiled machine currently and Jak could step in and just do whatever is needed on any given night. Plus they need to continue to build their team despite being lux tax payers and his bird rights would be very valuable, allowing them to still access the MLE come July.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any Boston trade would to include RW3 imo. He is pretty injury prone but has solid upside and is on a team friendly contract for a few more years. Spurs would ask for him in any deal with Boston

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question about BOS: can they use Gallos 6M for marching purposes in a trade with the team that waived him earlier in the year?

If so that makes it easier to match Jakob’s deal. Gallo/Griffen gets you there for example. Otherwise I don’t see it without dumping a player that helps them now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. If they can match salaries, BOS could be a good match. They have all their FRPs after this year (minus the swap to us in 2028). They also have the rockets and blazers SRP this year.

Another thing to watch is Jalen Brown could be gone after summer 2024, meaning picks that come after may be come enticing than they are now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston is not the best trade partner for Poeltl. They don't have any interesting youngsters, and their 1st rounders are almost 2nd rounders for the next 2/3 years at least. I'd rather the FO explore trade options with Golden State, Toronto, Chicago, and whomever can give us a first rounder in the 15-20 range (or as close to that as possible).
    Nothing says the pick has to be this year or next. Kick it down the road 3-5 years. Atlanta’s picks last year were 3,4, and 5 years out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question about BOS: can they use Gallos 6M for marching purposes in a trade with the team that waived him earlier in the year?

If so that makes it easier to match Jakob’s deal. Gallo/Griffen gets you there for example. Otherwise I don’t see it without dumping a player that helps them now.
    I’m pretty sure Gallo can’t return for a year from his cut date.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Insurance for Horford and Williams. They could really use a third reliable big. Hurdle would probably start in place of Horford tbh and they could close out with either matchup dependent.
    At thinking R. Williams and Poeltl could/would play together.

The Celtics aren't trading a rotational player. Either Gallinari's salary could be used in a three team trade or they could combine Griffin, Kornet and Jackson to match salaries, with their '25, '27 and '29 1sts available for trade.

They might be willing to offer looser protection than any other given that they're already the best team in the league and R. Williams' lack of durability is arguably their biggest issue.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah but theres also something really poetic about a guy literally named Duncan Robinson joining the spurs
    If it does happen he should wear #71.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Celtics aren't trading a rotational player. Either Gallinari's salary could be used in a three team trade or they could combine Griffin, Kornet and Jackson to match salaries, with their '25, '27 and '29 1sts available for trade.

They might be willing to offer looser protection than any other given that they're already the best team in the league and R. Williams' lack of durability is arguably their biggest issue.
    Yeah, if Poeltl is insurance for anyone, it's for Robert Williams, whose extremely unreliable availability looms over their championship aspirations.
    '25 doesn't seem like a good year for a pick, taking into consideration we already have up to 4 picks that year (own + Atlanta + Chicago? -subject to protections- + Charlotte? -if not conveyed before-) and since they can't trade '24 (traded their '23 pick in the Brogdon trade) and '28 (actually they can but it's the pick we own swap rights on), leaving '26, '27 and '29. Given the glut of picks owed to us in '25 and the development process, that would leave '27 and '29 as ideal candidates for a far out, unprotected pick from Boston. I believe Brad Stevens would do that, considering he gave up an (almost) unprotected swap for Derrick White.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure Gallo can’t return for a year from his cut date.
    This sounds right to me, but it’s also not the situation where a team cuts a player and later resigns him without anything happening in between (I think we did that with Brent Barry). Here another team signed Gallo after we cut him so he has a new deal.

But I do think you have it right, but makes matching salaries with BOS a lot harder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Griffen, Jackson, and Kornet doesn’t get you enough to match for Jakob. They need either Gallo or Grant included, but the former is complicated by our having waived him already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if Poeltl is insurance for anyone, it's for Robert Williams, whose extremely unreliable availability looms over their championship aspirations.
    '25 doesn't seem like a good year for a pick, taking into consideration we already have up to 4 picks that year (own + Atlanta + Chicago? -subject to protections- + Charlotte? -if not conveyed before-) and since they can't trade '24 (traded their '23 pick in the Brogdon trade) and '28 (actually they can but it's the pick we own swap rights on), leaving '26, '27 and '29. Given the glut of picks owed to us in '25 and the development process, that would leave '27 and '29 as ideal candidates for a far out, unprotected pick from Boston. I believe Brad Stevens would do that, considering he gave up an (almost) unprotected swap for Derrick White.
    There could be as many as 4 FRPs in 2025, or as few as 2. Only ours and Atlanta's are sure things. Charlottes may convey in 2024, and Chicagos may not convey in its first oppo in 2025. If Chicago doesn’t convey their pick to Orlando this year, but do next year, our clock with them won’t even start until 2026.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This sounds right to me, but it’s also not the situation where a team cuts a player and later resigns him without anything happening in between (I think we did that with Brent Barry). Here another team signed Gallo after we cut him so he has a new deal.

But I do think you have it right, but makes matching salaries with BOS a lot harder.
    Boston has a couple more days to use an exception they got from the Hernangomez trade, they could use that if they REALLY wanted Poeltl, but they'd have to do so by Thursday. Still, they're over the luxury tax threshold meaning whatever salary they take they pay 3x in tax, and given their recent cost cutting move with us, I'm not sure they're eager to add to the payroll.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Griffen, Jackson, and Kornet doesn’t get you enough to match for Jakob. They need either Gallo or Grant included, but the former is complicated by our having waived him already.
    Yeah, then it'd have to be Gallinari going to a third team for some other contract. No chance they'd trade G. Williams.

Thread Information