Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richardson enjoys playing for Pop and the Spurs. He looked genuinely downcast at the exit media day last year, because I think he was told that he’d be shopped. I doubt he’d press for a buyout, and the Spurscertainly won’t need the cap savings. Maybe this is the year we start holding the line on buyouts.
    Could well be true, but what matters is what other teams think and what that does to his trade value at the deadline. I’ve read/heard his name now on some of the typical gossip sites in the buy out bucket. Hope that’s wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also hope the Spurs don't buy out Richardson. It could give them some leverage in trade scenarios too, if the Spurs say there won't be a buyout and other teams believe it.
    Definitely, and also for the future. I understand that you'd want to help a long time star who gave everything to your franchise in his last quest for a championship (a la LaMarcus Aldridge), or even someone who you're not giving the opportunity to play (like Dragic), but Richardson is both playing and being paid handsomely by the Spurs, he didn't sign as a FA, and has no history to warrant accommodating his whims. Get a second rounder, a younger prospect, use him in a larger salary dump by some other team, whatever, but letting him go via buyout would be a negative message now and for the future in terms of the Spurs firmness negotiating. That's sure to backfire later on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be hard to see any incentive for the Spurs to buy out JRich. He’s useful for our team not only in terms of the minutes he is putting in but in terms of being a leader in the locker room. It’s doubtful he is pushing for a buyout behind the scenes. For all the same reasons he isn’t a buyout candidate, I think the Spurs may have a higher than market reservation price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be helpful if JRich and his agent would let it be known that they wouldn’t seek a buyout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not my baseline but JRich very well could be retained this summer on a short term deal. He has played well and been completely professional. Additionally, we are flush with cap space and he is unlikely to garner an FRP at the deadline.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-20-2023 at 02:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not my baseline but JRich very well could be retained this summer on a short term deal. He has played well and been completely professional. Additionally, we are flush with cap space and he is inlikely to garner an FRO at the deadline.
    He could, the Spurs can certainly afford him. But his price tag makes him affordable to any team over the cap (via MLE) and he's likely to want to join one as opposed to spending his last good years on a lottery team. If he stays he'll likely command more money, require playing time and raise our floor, and not represent enough of an asset to offset our loss in lottery odds. So I'd rather take a 2nd rounder or whatever now, than waiting it out.
    Poeltl might be worth waiting though, if we're low balled right now. He'll command more than the MLE and the only real risk I see is Toronto ridding themselves now of VanVleet & Gary Trent for expiring contracts, which would give them the room to go after him outright. But other than that he'll either resign, or land us some nice assets via S&T. But if we get something good (unprotected first, couple protected first, one first + useful player, etc.) right now, I would pull the trigger.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can potentially sign-and-trade Richardson to a contender the same way they can with Poeltl. Keeping Richardson until the end of the season isn't as good as getting an asset now, but it isn't a disaster. Buying him out would be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can potentially sign-and-trade Richardson to a contender the same way they can with Poeltl. Keeping Richardson until the end of the season isn't as good as getting an asset now, but it isn't a disaster. Buying him out would be.
    Unlikely as he won’t fetch more than the MLE. Most teams who are interested will have the exception money to add him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlikely as he won’t fetch more than the MLE. Most teams who are interested will have the exception money to add him.
    Teams at the tax don’t necessarily want to spend the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the whole board, the problem is the lack of assets from the teams that would need what we're selling. A few thoughts:

• There's not a huge market for Poeltl. He's better that most teams have at his position, but not enough to warrant overpaying for him. The 2 obvious places he could fit right now are Chicago and Toronto, but both franchises are in kind of a conundrum, on whether to take a step forward, or back. Other openings may appear, contingent on other trades (Phoenix -Ayton- & Indiana -Myles Turner-, but the latter could sign him outright in the offseason). Also, I don't see that many teams willing to extend huge offers to Poeltl... I doubt someone goes all the way up to 20M. So I'm thinking we might have to chose between a bad sell now (a contender using him as a backup, like Boston), or waiting it out and hoping or a re-sign or S&T.
    • Josh Richardson needs to go for the best offer available, whichever it may be. If we don't trade him now he's gone in the offseason, as some contender will throw part of the MLE his way without the need for a S&T, which would not net us anything more. Plus, he costs us lottery odds every minute he plays. He won't command a 1st, but a good second should do (or 2 if they're distant and uncertain). This year among teams with desirable 2nd rounders, the teams I came away with as most interesting options in terms of fit are the Lakers (currently possess 38 -own- & 39 -Chicago-), Philadelphia (33 via Charlotte), Boston (40 via Portland) and Suns (own at 41, likely getting worse). Miami is another possible fit, but they don't own a '23 2nd, maybe a couple future ones would do. The most sensible fit of the bunch would be that of the Lakers, and I think the Chicago 2nd sounds about right, but they're penny pinching and who knows which way they're going. But would make sense for both the Spurs and the Lakers. The other way with Richardson would be the way of the salary dump, which is the route where we could get the most assets, but that is largely dependent on the urgency of the counterpart, and that's waaay too fuzzy to speculate. But something along the likes of Richardson & filler for Fournier & couple meh firsts (Washington + Detroit, both protected and uncertain... may not convey for a while if at all, especially Washington) would do. But in any case, he raises our floor enough that the cost of keeping him outweighs his value, and at a fair market price someone is going to want him as he's a valuable piece to a contender, so I'd definitely expect him to be spending his last days as a Spur.
    • McDermott is not enough of an all around player and too much of a liability to be of much value, unless there ware a perfect fit (think Lakers, but they're standing pat). So he's likely moved next season as an expiring to a contender, that may land us something better.

So all in all, we may just see Richardson moving, unless some team gets desperate, which could be but is not likely. Just my 2c.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the whole board, the problem is the lack of assets from the teams that would need what we're selling. A few thoughts:

• There's not a huge market for Poeltl. He's better that most teams have at his position, but not enough to warrant overpaying for him. The 2 obvious places he could fit right now are Chicago and Toronto, but both franchises are in kind of a conundrum, on whether to take a step forward, or back. Other openings may appear, contingent on other trades (Phoenix -Ayton- & Indiana -Myles Turner-, but the latter could sign him outright in the offseason). Also, I don't see that many teams willing to extend huge offers to Poeltl... I doubt someone goes all the way up to 20M. So I'm thinking we might have to chose between a bad sell now (a contender using him as a backup, like Boston), or waiting it out and hoping or a re-sign or S&T.
    • Josh Richardson needs to go for the best offer available, whichever it may be. If we don't trade him now he's gone in the offseason, as some contender will throw part of the MLE his way without the need for a S&T, which would not net us anything more. Plus, he costs us lottery odds every minute he plays. He won't command a 1st, but a good second should do (or 2 if they're distant and uncertain). This year among teams with desirable 2nd rounders, the teams I came away with as most interesting options in terms of fit are the Lakers (currently possess 38 -own- & 39 -Chicago-), Philadelphia (33 via Charlotte), Boston (40 via Portland) and Suns (own at 41, likely getting worse). Miami is another possible fit, but they don't own a '23 2nd, maybe a couple future ones would do. The most sensible fit of the bunch would be that of the Lakers, and I think the Chicago 2nd sounds about right, but they're penny pinching and who knows which way they're going. But would make sense for both the Spurs and the Lakers. The other way with Richardson would be the way of the salary dump, which is the route where we could get the most assets, but that is largely dependent on the urgency of the counterpart, and that's waaay too fuzzy to speculate. But something along the likes of Richardson & filler for Fournier & couple meh firsts (Washington + Detroit, both protected and uncertain... may not convey for a while if at all, especially Washington) would do. But in any case, he raises our floor enough that the cost of keeping him outweighs his value, and at a fair market price someone is going to want him as he's a valuable piece to a contender, so I'd definitely expect him to be spending his last days as a Spur.
    • McDermott is not enough of an all around player and too much of a liability to be of much value, unless there ware a perfect fit (think Lakers, but they're standing pat). So he's likely moved next season as an expiring to a contender, that may land us something better.

So all in all, we may just see Richardson moving, unless some team gets desperate, which could be but is not likely. Just my 2c.
    Nailed it. /thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmmm……

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be helpful if JRich and his agent would let it be known that they wouldn’t seek a buyout.
    They could have already let PATFO know this. No reason that has to be publicly released

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could have already let PATFO know this. No reason that has to be publicly released
    It would be helpful if other teams knew he wouldn’t be a freebie.

Thread Information