Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Keldon is weird until July. He been extended, but he’s not IN his extension yet, but you can’t match his current salary and call it a day. Their are weird rules about salary we can accept in return, and what he would count for in a trade.
    Yeah his trade value probably peaks a year into his next deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not advocating for a Keldon Johnson trade, but I do wonder what kind of market he has. He is an easy on court fit for several teams (Kings, Knicks, Suns, Blazers) who are an impact player away from contention or getting into the playoffs.

My guess is KJ could command two FRPs, one lightly protected or unprotected. The Knicks could offer that for the upcoming draft. Something like Cam Reddish, Obi Toppin, their own '23 unprotected, and Washington's pick, which is protected and may not convey this year.

I wonder if the Spurs see KJ as their best trade asset or a piece of their future core?
    I'm skeptical he'd fetch an unprotected 1st especially from a starless team with an uncertain future.

As far as with the Spurs, it probably comes down to timing. If they luck into a centerpiece (particularly a non-wing one) within' the next two drafts who can fast track the re-build, then he'd fit the timeline. If not, then it becomes similar to what we've seen with recent trades here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm skeptical he'd fetch an unprotected 1st especially from a starless team with an uncertain future.

As far as with the Spurs, it probably comes down to timing. If they luck into a centerpiece (particularly a non-wing one) within' the next two drafts who can fast track the re-build, then he'd fit the timeline. If not, then it becomes similar to what we've seen with recent trades here.
    Did you see us pulling two unprotected FRPs, and an unprotected swap for DJ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you see us pulling two unprotected FRPs, and an unprotected swap for DJ?
    I think him having some accolades to his name created a myth of his being better than he actually is and led to a desperate organization who had an antsy star applying pressure behind the scenes being determined to close the deal.

With Johnson, there's also the question of his fit on an aspiring contender. He might just be a bigger version of Powell, who the league has settled on as a 6th man for those types.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think him having some accolades to his name created a myth of his being better than he actually is and led to a desperate organization who had an antsy star applying pressure behind the scenes being determined to close the deal.

With Johnson, there's also the question of his fit on an aspiring contender. He might just be a bigger version of Powell, who the league has settled on as a 6th man for those types.
    I always felt KJ would be perfect for an energy guy off the bench for a real contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't we just giving KJ more props than he is due, simply because he is the best scorer (we hope) on a team with so many deficiencies. He's still a 'tweener in physical size and ability with questionable BB IQ and who has some problems on defense and rebounding, no? I have serious doubts that a lot of teams are looking for his skills at SF for a starting job.He's probably lucky to be playing/starting on a team that needs his limited skills.

I mean we all want him to be a great success because he is all we've got right now-- but is it really possible to envision him on the court in an All=Star game??? Or as the core high value player in our rebuild??? I dunno.

That said, I'd trade him in a minute for a couple of FR unprotected picks that might land us in the lottery down the line. Too bad Isaiah Thomas isn't still a GM somewhere in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't we just giving KJ more props than he is due, simply because he is the best scorer (we hope) on a team with so many deficiencies. He's still a 'tweener in physical size and ability with questionable BB IQ and who has some problems on defense and rebounding, no? I have serious doubts that a lot of teams are looking for his skills at SF for a starting job.He's probably lucky to be playing/starting on a team that needs his limited skills.

I mean we all want him to be a great success because he is all we've got right now-- but is it really possible to envision him on the court in an All=Star game??? Or as the core high value player in our rebuild??? I dunno.

That said, I'd trade him in a minute for a couple of FR unprotected picks that might land us in the lottery down the line. Too bad Isaiah Thomas isn't still a GM somewhere in the league.
    A couple of unprotected 1st rounders?
    Yes all day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great points made about developmental bandwidth… but one thing I like about stocking up all these future draft picks is that they don’t all need to turn into rookies on our roster at some point. Say we do land Wemby in the draft, we’ll now we’ve got the resources available to acquire (via trade) a piece that was what Terry mings was an incoming rookie David Robinson. When it is time to compete, we don’t want a roster filled with developmental youth - but since it is difficult to attract FA, we can turn these draft picks into some handy vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A couple of unprotected 1st rounders?
    Yes all day.
    I do think about how Keldon fits as we keep going through the rebuild and the best player available is a SF with more upside than Keldon (could happen as soon as this draft with someone like Brandon Miller). At that point, it will start to become in our interest to trade him as that prospect develops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this isn't a trade but i hope we go after Shake Milton in free agency next off season. We need a point guard and he is showing to be a hidden gem in this league with Harden and Maxey out. This dude needs to be a starting somewhere! Especially if we trade away some of our vets, we will need a vet to take their place and the point guard position is a good position to have a vet who already knows how to run a team.
    Last edited by SpurSpike; 11-30-2022 at 05:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this isn't a trade but i hope we go after Shake Milton in free agency next off season. We need a point guard and he is showing to be a hidden gem in this league with Harden and Maxey out. This dude needs to be a starting somewhere! Especially if we trade away some of our vets, we will need a vet to take their place and the point guard position is a good position to have a vet who already knows how to run a team.
    26, mid, restricted, meaning overpay. Pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    26, mid, restricted, meaning overpay. Pass.
    Oh I thought he was unrestricted, in that case yeah would probably be an overpay since he is playing like a borderline all-star right now. Still maybe once Harden and Maxey come back everyone forgets how good Shake was when he was a starter and you can grab him for a reasonable sum?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh might be in the Spurs interest to take a package for Vassell too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, no. He’s literally our only 3 level scorer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, no. He’s literally our only 3 level scorer.
    Players out, assets in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players out, assets in.
    Yeah, you don’t want to completely strip the team of all talent, and put too much on Wembys or whoever’s shoulders. That was Phillys fatal mistake. When the talent got there, the rest of the roster was gleague. We’re doing just fine on the tank. No need to go scorched earth.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, Devon is a keeper. A core around him, Sochan, and Scoot Henderson would be a solid start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, Devon is a keeper. A core around him, Sochan, and Scoot Henderson would be a solid start.
    Maybe I’m vastly underestimating Dev and Sochan, but this does not sound like a core to get us anywhere

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players out, assets in.
    Can you guarantee that a player better than Devin will come under one of the draft picks?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow just went back and looked at the 2020 draft. there is a really good case right now that Devon is a top 4/top 5 pick if they redraft it today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if we get Wemb our team is still going to be terrible as they should wrap him up in a bubble suit his first year - He is so young and tall and skinny we need to first build him up and then slowly let him dip his big toe in the pond maybe around mid season. But his body definitely will not be ready for the NBA and will have to work on conditioning as his current teams plays so little the NBA is a long grinding season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow just went back and looked at the 2020 draft. there is a really good case right now that Devon is a top 4/top 5 pick if they redraft it today.
    Ant, LaMelo, Haliburton, Maxey, Bane.

Probably 6th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I’m vastly underestimating Dev and Sochan, but this does not sound like a core to get us anywhere
    You need a franchise guy, and then a core to build around. Think Tim, then Manu, Tony, Bruce. Core guys aren’t THE guy, they’re the OTHER guys. They’ll be the veteran, support presence, taking on much of the scoring load, kinda like Terry mings with David.

Don’t sleep on Sochan, though. If he is a PG, and I think he has a high probability, he should have been a top 3 pick. 6’9” guys with court vision who can handle and pass off the bounce don’t grow on trees. Throw in top flight defender, and…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably 6th.
    Not bad at all, maybe higher in a few years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably 6th.
    Ant’s really overrated, and kind of adumbass. Vassell is a much better long range shooter and defender.

Thread Information