Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a lateral move.. it wouldn't be a lateral move if they gave up Jonas but in this scenario they get to keep him and shore up deficiencies...
    That seems... dumb? Sorry to say, but wasting resources for a starting center when you have a starting center is not something that teams do.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, they can trade that Laker swap....and you're asking the same question I'm asking.... what is the price to get them to do so? While everyone would love to have that 14% shot at Wembanyama not every team has to weigh that against the prospects of winning a championship this year... Nola is in that unique position and a le is a huge consideration...
    The Pelicans aren't a Poeltl away from winning a le this year and they're very likely to be getting a lottery pick out of the Lakers, one that could have a great chance to be in the top half of the lottery given the way the Lakers are going to start tanking without Davis. They're not trading that for anything short of a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep in mind, it’s a SWAP option, not an extra pick. Right now, we’re 4th and the Lakers are 10th, making it useless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CHA can currently trade their 2027 pick, since their protections on the pick we own end in 2025. 1-16,1-14,1-14.

CHI PICK is more complicated. It’s a 3 year protection cycle, but we don’t currently know when it starts. They owe a pick to Orlando, and after last year when they played so well,the assumption was that the 1-4 protected pick would convey in 2023. They’re struggling though, and there’s a real chance that CHI might jump into the top 4, and keep the pick. If they do, their 2024 pick may go to Orlando, and our cycle changes from 2025-2027 to 2026-2028. It’s even a bit more complicated than that, though. The 2024 pick is 1-3 protected, and there is some buzz that CHI may just blow it up. If they do, and jump or stay in the top 3, they will convey 2 seconds to Orlando, BUT, they would not have traded a FRP, so we would go back in the 2025-2027 cycle.
    Interesting. Now that we have the ATL 2025, it may be a blessing in disguise to have the CHI pack roll over to 2026. Would give the team a legit good extra pick for 3 years, potentially 4 if CHA gets its act together next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. Now that we have the ATL 2025, it may be a blessing in disguise to have the CHI pack roll over to 2026. Would give the team a legit good extra pick for 3 years, potentially 4 if CHA gets its act together next year.
    Definitely need CHA to get its act together. I would venture that having the Charlotte pick this year, or any other second pick, might not actually be that great. There are three rookies on the team this year, plus Bassey, if he sticks around. I'm not entirely sure throwing another two rookies into the mix would be a great idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Charlottes pick will convey in either 2024 or 2025. Ball will not stay if they go into an extended rebuild. Coach Clifford also has a 50% playoff rate over 8 seasons with two of the saddest franchises around: Orlando and his previous stint in Charlotte. I would hope it would be 2024, or 2025 could hypothetically be a train wreck with 4 FRPS: ours, CHA,CHI,ATL.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep in mind, it’s a SWAP option, not an extra pick. Right now, we’re 4th and the Lakers are 10th, making it useless.
    If they made this trade I would imagine it would be taking NO's pick and the right to swap it with the Lakers pick. Not that it matters, as NOP isn't giving away a lottery pick for Poeltl.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That seems... dumb? Sorry to say, but wasting resources for a starting center when you have a starting center is not something that teams do.
    If you have a starting center that you don't believe can get you to the finals and giving up resources to get one that you believe can get you there is dumb? Idk....championships are pretty valuable and increasing your shot has costs...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers traded the rights for New Orleans to swap their pick with the Lakers pick. Can NO trade the right to swap with someone else? I don't think so. Otherwise you would see teams that have a better position than the team they can swap with trading that swap right to teams below the team that traded the swap right with all the time and I don't ever remember seeing a trade like that. I think you have to have the Pelican's pick to be able to accrue that ability to swap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers traded the rights for New Orleans to swap their pick with the Lakers pick. Can NO trade the right to swap with someone else? I don't think so. Otherwise you would see teams that have a better position than the team they can swap with trading that swap right to teams below the team that traded the swap right with all the time and I don't ever remember seeing a trade like that. I think you have to have the Pelican's pick to be able to accrue that ability to swap.
    No...they'd have to trade their pick and the swap rights would be attached.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No...they'd have to trade their pick and the swap rights would be attached.
    So you are agreeing with me. You can't just trade the right to swap as Ex was indicating. You have to get the Pelican's pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are agreeing with me. You can't just trade the right to swap as Ex was indicating. You have to get the Pelican's pick.
    Thats correct

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, the Pels are so well positioned with both their current teams and their draft picks.

From ESPN:

Draft capital: New Orleans owns all of its first-round picks over the next seven years. The Pelicans have the right to swap firsts with the Lakers in 2023. They also have an unprotected first from Los Angeles in 2024. That pick can be deferred to 2025. The Pelicans also have a top-4-protected first from Milwaukee in 2025 and unprotected first in 2027. They have the right to swap firsts with the Bucks in 2024 and 2026. New Orleans has six second-round picks available to trade.

If we land a true game changer (whether that person is named Wemby or something else), the kind of game changer who alters the course of your franchise almost immediately (think Ja), then we could be in a similar position with all these picks. The same could be said of OKC, Houston or Utah. I wouldn't trust OKC or Houston to know what to do with such fortune if they found it though. They'd probably continue to tank for the sake of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, they can trade that Laker swap....and you're asking the same question I'm asking.... what is the price to get them to do so? While everyone would love to have that 14% shot at Wembanyama not every team has to weigh that against the prospects of winning a championship this year... Nola is in that unique position and a le is a huge consideration...
    The only thing I'm concerned about with NO is if they would be willing to trade with a division rival.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why NO would be interested in any kind of trade that we are interested in. They are not in "win-now because the window is closing" mode. They have a very good, young team and lots of draft picks. There is no way they'd trade this year's pick because it is tied to a swap that could land them a high lotto pick.

Maybe we could get a protected FRP in future years for JRich or Buckets, but I don't think they'd be interested. I don't think the are meeting our asking price for Jak.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why NO would be interested in any kind of trade that we are interested in. They are not in "win-now because the window is closing" mode. They have a very good, young team and lots of draft picks. There is no way they'd trade this year's pick because it is tied to a swap that could land them a high lotto pick.

Maybe we could get a protected FRP in future years for JRich or Buckets, but I don't think they'd be interested. I don't think the are meeting our asking price for Jak.
    My view is that everything has a price...of all the teams that 'could" have a lottery pick they are the most likely to deal. They clearly aren't going to give it away, which was why my question was 'how much would we have to add to Jak to get that done to be attractive to them?' And 'how much would we be willing to give for it to still be attractive to us'?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, the Pels are so well positioned with both their current teams and their draft picks.

From ESPN:

Draft capital: New Orleans owns all of its first-round picks over the next seven years. The Pelicans have the right to swap firsts with the Lakers in 2023. They also have an unprotected first from Los Angeles in 2024. That pick can be deferred to 2025. The Pelicans also have a top-4-protected first from Milwaukee in 2025 and unprotected first in 2027. They have the right to swap firsts with the Bucks in 2024 and 2026. New Orleans has six second-round picks available to trade.

If we land a true game changer (whether that person is named Wemby or something else), the kind of game changer who alters the course of your franchise almost immediately (think Ja), then we could be in a similar position with all these picks. The same could be said of OKC, Houston or Utah. I wouldn't trust OKC or Houston to know what to do with such fortune if they found it though. They'd probably continue to tank for the sake of it.
    They can nab them a really nice roster piece with just a couple of those picks too. They legit have a chance to be champs if they go all in imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

From ESPN:

They were a disaster not long ago, then nailed a draft and rooked LAL pretty bad and Zion nearly out the door. Too bad Kawhi ed us -- we really should have gotten a better package.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The baby Warriors -- without Curry and Thompson -- gave up 91 points to the Nets... in the first half.

Wiseman and Moody ended up with good statlines, but that's hiding a lot.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Donkey -27 with 2/4/6 in 23 minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I'd definitely take Sochan/Wesley/Branham over Wiseman/Kuminga/Moody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Triple single!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there's any way the Pelicans would include Dyson Daniels in a trade, especially not for Poeltl. Daniels was drafted as a 6'8" PG who could defend and pass, but whose shooting was a question... so far this season, he's shooting 42% from three and 55% from two, while playing even better-than-advertised D and posting a very good assist-to-turnover ratio. The guy is still only 19 and looks like a future star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

From ESPN:

I recall being pissed at AD for the way he forced his way out of the small market team for the bright lights of LA. Looks like being rid of the glass man was the best thing that could have happened to the Pels.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media "Those 2 points is the equivalent of a regular player getting 20 points. Draymond's impact can't easily be measured."

Thread Information