Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Golden State's Wiseman a good potential trade for the Spurs?

Spurs’ most realistic trade target after first month of 2022-23 season (msn.com)

I'm never sold on a guy who appears to be uninterested in his own development, but you seldom get a shot at a very high draft pick in a trade. Maybe he's just sulking because he's down in the G League and a new opportunity will wake him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs’ most realistic trade target after first month of 2022-23 season (msn.com)

I'm never sold on a guy who appears to be uninterested in his own development, but you seldom get a shot at a very high draft pick in a trade. Maybe he's just sulking because he's down in the G League and a new opportunity will wake him up.
    He’s pretty awful, and only played 39 games in his first two seasons. His first meniscus surgery was botched, he had to have a second one, and what should have been like 2-3 months cost him all of last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fan of Wiseman, he simply doesn't know how to play, Pop would hate him. Besides, not sure GS are ready to admit they've made a mistake with him.

New York is one of the best potential trade partners - they have a lot of picks and they badly need to make moves. Something like JRich for Fournier's contract + one of their firsts would help both teams.

Other good trade partners are Chicago, Memphis, Phoenix and Toronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a fan of Wiseman, he simply doesn't know how to play, Pop would hate him. Besides, not sure GS are ready to admit they've made a mistake with him.

New York is one of the best potential trade partners - they have a lot of picks and they badly need to make moves. Something like JRich for Fournier's contract + one of their firsts would help both teams.

Other good trade partners are Chicago, Memphis, Phoenix and Toronto.
    I was kinda hoping this thread would come up with actual names of players who we might trade for instead of franchises who we could trade with. A trade for Future picks has been done to death and once you get into future picks the absolute uncertainty of what you might wind up with makes all those trades very risky. You might buy a pig in a poke, eh? But I like it that you mention Fournier since it gives us (or at least the trade gurus on ST) a specific player to analyze.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was kinda hoping this thread would come up with actual names of players who we might trade for instead of franchises who we could trade with. A trade for Future picks has been done to death and once you get into future picks the absolute uncertainty of what you might wind up with makes all those trades very risky. You might buy a pig in a poke, eh? But I like it that you mention Fournier since it gives us (or at least the trade gurus on ST) a specific player to analyze.
    Well I think there are generally two types of players the Spurs might look to trade for - bad contracts that teams would be willing to pay to get rid of (Fournier, Robinson, Shamet, etc) and players still on rookie contracts, that Spurs might have liked during the draft evaluations, who have lost their way and need a change of scenery (Coby White, Okeke, Thybulle, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to find a win-win deal with the Knicks bc they have a few 23 FRPs hoarded. NYK, DET (top 18 protection) DAL (top 10 protection) and WSH (top 14 protection).

Fournier at the deadline would cover more than half of his 2022 18mm and then it's just one more year, 23, at 18mm before 2024 which is 19mm but a team option. Spurs could jettison all but maybe little more than say ~25mm of his hit and add a FRP while offloading surplus to requirements personnel like Doug etc.

But I haven't even ran trade sims to see what matches and if there is a deal even there to begin with that both sides might hear out. EDIT: looks like Doug for Fournier works straight up but obvs doubtful NYK views the value worth a tack on FRP or even a 2RP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not opposed to picking up Wiseman, but I AM against giving up valuable assets (i.e. Poeltl, picks) for him, because even though he's got the physical tools and seems like a level headed guy, he's also injury prone, way too raw, and into his third year as a pro, meaning his rookie scale contract will be up soon and whoever gets him will likely have to face the difficult choice of overpaying or losing the investment in him.
    Given Golden State's salary situation I doubt they'll invest heavily into him, so chances are they'll want to offload him sooner rather than later, and the price will have to come down. He's kind of Marvin Bagley, only farther behind. If we can get him for a second rounder or two + salary filler (McDermott?), I'm in, we can invest the time an resources for him to succeed. If not, move along and wait for other opportunities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is CHA ever going to make a move to try and improve? You’d think they would start trying to press for playoffs and could use some good players..simply remove protections from the pick we already own and offer up Jak/Richardson etc..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is CHA ever going to make a move to try and improve? You’d think they would start trying to press for playoffs and could use some good players..simply remove protections from the pick we already own and offer up Jak/Richardson etc..
    Forget it. Bridges is gone, Hayward is injured long term, Lamelo is out... they're tanking. Our best bet is them getting a huge impact player and turning it around in 2 years time, in order for us to collect the pick they owe us in the first round.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Meh the number you're picked at is meaningless 2.5 years later. That ship has sailed, I'm not giving up good players for a bust. NBA history is littered with #2 picks who couldn't play, guys like Stromile Swift, Derrick Williams, Michael Beasley, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Evan Turner, Marvin Bagley, etc. I'd take Wiseman on as a cheap reclamation project this summer when Golden State doesn't pick up their option on him but that's as far as I'd go with him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh the number you're picked at is meaningless 2.5 years later. That ship has sailed, I'm not giving up good players for a bust. NBA history is littered with #2 picks who couldn't play, guys like Stromile Swift, Derrick Williams, Michael Beasley, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Evan Turner, Marvin Bagley, etc. I'd take Wiseman on as a cheap reclamation project this summer when Golden State doesn't pick up their option on him but that's as far as I'd go with him.
    Agree 100%. Spurs fans have to move past this guy already.

Richardson would be a good fit on the Hawks since they have a pair of expiring contracts matching J-Rich’s deal. Plus these organizations know each other very well after last summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still don’t get it. Evaluating Fournier is a waste of time. He has no future here. He’s cap space rental for picks they’ll be sending along with. He’s older than JRich, who strongly implied in his final media after the play in that he expected to be traded.

Picks are a risk, which is why you need to get A LOT OF THEM. They’re the only way to start over. Trading for veteran players is a dead end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiseman not only is a long-term project -- at the very best -- he's extremely expensive due to where he was picked. Just... no.

I think getting young prospects will be hard to do. It seems more common in the NBA to trade for picks at this point. I'd definitely look to move Poeltl, Richardson, McDougie at this point.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiseman not only is a long-term project -- at the very best -- he's extremely expensive due to where he was picked. Just... no.

I think getting young prospects will be hard to do. It seems more common in the NBA to trade for picks at this point. I'd definitely look to move Poeltl, Richardson, McDougie at this point.
    He'll probably be cheap this summer because no way Golden State is picking up that team option with how much luxury tax they're paying. Though I still imagine some team will throw a one year $5 million Lonnie Walker type deal at him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to trade one of our 1st round picks for a pair of balls tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll probably be cheap this summer because no way Golden State is picking up that team option with how much luxury tax they're paying. Though I still imagine some team will throw a one year $5 million Lonnie Walker type deal at him.
    They've already picked his 4th year option - it's over $12 mil and will cost them $30+ mil with luxury tax. They're not ready to admit he's a bust.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m thinking these two moves net us the most draft capital, which should be the goal:

Trade 1:
    PHX: Richardson
    MIA: Crowder + Romeo
    SAS: Robinson + Saric + 2 MIA FRP + 1 PHX FRP

Trade 2:
    LAL: Doug + Hortford
    BOS: Jakob
    SAS: Brick + LAL FRP + BOS FRP + BOS swap right

Spurs Summary
    OUT: Doug, Romeo, Josh, Jakob
    IN: Brick, Saric, Robinson, 5 FRP (varying protections), BOS swap right
    Last edited by CGD; 11-27-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ variants to above:

- MIA sends Jovic instead of a second pick

- Deal Jakob for Wiseman + FRP instead of involving BOS

Either way it’s 5 picks (if you count Jovic)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ variants to above:

- MIA sends Jovic instead of a second pick

- Deal Jakob for Wiseman + FRP instead of involving BOS

Either way it’s 5 picks (if you count Jovic)
    I really doubt the Spurs trade Jak if they're really demanding two lightly protected first round picks as reported by LJ. If anyone is crazy enough to meet the Spurs demand they should just trade for Myles Turner instead.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really doubt the Spurs trade Jak if they're really demanding two lightly protected first round picks as reported by LJ. If anyone is crazy enough to meet the Spurs demand they should just trade for Myles Turner instead.
    At that price you're correct.

I don't see MIA giving up 2 FRP for Crowder and Romeo. Makes no sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that was completely unserious in my view (demand not the reporting), even at the start of the season. Position had only weakened as season has gone on.

I think Wiseman & protected FRP is realistic though. Spurs may see an opportunity to salvage value from Wiseman later as a way to get their “second” pick later.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At that price you're correct.

I don't see MIA giving up 2 FRP for Crowder and Romeo. Makes no sense.
    It’s not getting Crowder as much as it is getting off Robinson. That alone merits one pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah people forget taking on a ty contract you either going to want a talented young player or a first round pick in return in eating millions of dollars for a player who might just be released

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah people forget taking on a ty contract you either going to want a talented young player or a first round pick in return in eating millions of dollars for a player who might just be released
    I agree that Crowder (and Richardson honestly) could be waiver candidates in March if not traded sooner, but I dont think we’re at that stage of the season yet. Crowder has generated a lot of trade buzz for example.

Again, for Miami it’s about dumping Robinson perhaps more than picking up a useful player that also happens to be on an expiring…

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not getting Crowder as much as it is getting off Robinson. That alone merits one pick.
    Well . I completely missed that. I’ll walk back my comment. Two firsts might not be enough for that contract.

Thread Information