Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The experiment was organised by Reykjavik city council and the Icelandic government, following pressure from trade unions and civil society groups.

It took place between 2015 and 2019, with over one per cent of the country's working population involved.

Employees - including those on nine-to-five contracts and non-standard shifts - had their working week cut down to 35 or 36 hours without a reduction to their pay.

The trials were across different workplaces, such as hospitals, offices and play schools, among others.

Results from the pilot saw both productivity and wellbeing improved for 2,500 workers who took part.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/four-day-...lming-success/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    on deck: Spain

Spain has announced plans to trial a four-day working week using money from the EU’s coronavirus recovery fund.

A three-year pilot project among companies interested in the idea will use €50 million (£36 million) from the fund.

The money will compensate some 200 companies as they resize their workforce or reorganise production workflows to adapt to a 32-hour working week.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/world-news/spa...recovery-fund/

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obamacare is an experiment: Effectively rob people of quality healthcare as people work less hours too, in one job at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^ non-sequitur

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, it's not. Not if you think there's any applicability to America.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, it's not. Not if you think there's any applicability to America.
    "what about Obamacare?" does not relate to a four hour work week.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "what about Obamacare?" does not relate to a four hour work week.
    Okay, you go on with your four hour work weeks. My bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, you go on with your four hour work weeks. My bad.
    four day work week, I meant.

4-6 hours would be an appropriate work day, imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Labor's 4-day work week doesn't make money for Capital, Capital will block 4-day work week in USA.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not in America, given that Republicrats are shaking down workers on healthcare who don't hit hours.

Sorry, you don't get it both ways, Butthole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This goes along with the idea that people working remotely during the lockdown were just as productive, if not more so, than they were before. If your quality of life improves, your productivity at work will follow suit.

This is all moot to those positions that require a physical presence 24/7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US companies don't trust bottom tier customer service level employees to meet their production quotas unless they are being watched. Many companies are requiring employees to have cameras on their home workstations for those "teleconferences". Activity monitoring software like Toggl along with intrusive, constant text chatting just highlights the "we can squeeze more from these people" at ude American businesses have. As someone who's worked from home for well over a decade, I can tell you that it seems to work well if you have some autonomy. I work for myself so I can plan my day according to my workload. For those who work for corporations, being on a string makes it less so, and it would get to a point for me that I would rather just drive to an office.

There's also the problem of everyone thinking you're free to do their work, because you're not at an office where they can see you're already working on something. When you have multiple parallel pings all day that basically shadows your actual assignments, that can help create the notion that home workers aren't as productive. It's really productivity tracking that needs to evolve to take into account the different environment that work at home presents, from a work standpoint. Then you have the non-working people who think you're also not working because you're at home.
    So the industry needs to adapt to work at home, develop for it, not just treat it like an anomaly that they have to find a way to deal with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That puts the total hours at 24 hours, not the 36 mentioned in the article. Those people are doing at least 9 hours a day for 4 days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see it-in my business. In consulting engineering deadlines are tight. Compe ion is cut throat. Traditionally its 45 to 50 per week and more at the deadline.

The client would have to demand it but the compe ion would outwork you, bolster their rep and take you market share.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see it-in my business. In consulting engineering deadlines are tight. Compe ion is cut throat. Traditionally its 45 to 50 per week and more at the deadline.

The client would have to demand it but the compe ion would outwork you, bolster their rep and take you market share.
    They don't get to make those demands when artificial restrictions are in place. The question is whether society is served better overall with them. Personally, I want govt. out of it. Then the hard worker gets ahead.
    What's not understood by liberals is that these restrictions are about tethering people to the plantation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US companies don't trust bottom tier customer service level employees to meet their production quotas unless they are being watched. Many companies are requiring employees to have cameras on their home workstations for those "teleconferences". Activity monitoring software like Toggl along with intrusive, constant text chatting just highlights the "we can squeeze more from these people" at ude American businesses have. As someone who's worked from home for well over a decade, I can tell you that it seems to work well if you have some autonomy. I work for myself so I can plan my day according to my workload. For those who work for corporations, being on a string makes it less so, and it would get to a point for me that I would rather just drive to an office.

There's also the problem of everyone thinking you're free to do their work, because you're not at an office where they can see you're already working on something. When you have multiple parallel pings all day that basically shadows your actual assignments, that can help create the notion that home workers aren't as productive. It's really productivity tracking that needs to evolve to take into account the different environment that work at home presents, from a work standpoint. Then you have the non-working people who think you're also not working because you're at home.
    So the industry needs to adapt to work at home, develop for it, not just treat it like an anomaly that they have to find a way to deal with.
    I worked for myself for about 2 decades and now I work for a corp... it really depends on both the employer and the employee, tbh... people that do a good job, at least in the field I am, do stand out. It doesn't matter where they do it.
    On the other hand, some people have trouble separating work from home, and going to an office is a good way to do draw that line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That puts the total hours at 24 hours, not the 36 mentioned in the article. Those people are doing at least 9 hours a day for 4 days.
    I was giving out an an opinion, not a synopsis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I worked for myself for about 2 decades and now I work for a corp... it really depends on both the employer and the employee, tbh... people that do a good job, at least in the field I am, do stand out. It doesn't matter where they do it.
    On the other hand, some people have trouble separating work from home, and going to an office is a good way to do draw that line.
    And because many corporations don't have the resources or goal of knowing their employees well enough to decide who's who, they use blanket policy to mitigate risk. Of course I am not talking about professional jobs, but normal phone answering and scheduling/office duties. These people comprise a big portion of the workforce. Professional roles generally get more leeway. Some managers won't single out an offender, they'll instead create a policy that s with everyone just to corral that one person, to prevent the manager from having to grow a pair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw that. pretty much what I thought would happen. Ain't no reason for people to be working as much these days, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Productivity tracking has been evolving even before covid. I know several people working from home that have log in time requirements where if the auto screen saver comes on the employee has to enter login credentials and then explain the downtime

Even for employees out and about, plenty of good tracking software out there to see places, time stamps, daily travel logs, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like this is something for workers as opposed to professionals. It seems bizarre to me that any self-respecting professional would go for something like this. But if you're some low-rung HR worker and that's all you want in life, then I don't see why not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US Capitalism will never do anything good for it adversary Labor unless it enriches Capitalists, with any benefit to Labor being an unwanted side effect of Capitalism enriching itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three day work week

Lindsey looked at his schedule and leaders next to the bottom line. “I realized, I’m asking a ton of these folks,” he says. “They’re literally working 70 hours a week, week in and week out.” To achieve the marks Lindsey was hitting, staff sacrificed vacations. They’d joke about being exhausted and needing to go home and collapse. “Honestly, I can do better,” he recalls.

Lindsey didn’t think bumping PTO or benefits was bold enough. At the least, it wasn’t anything novel. A three-day workweek, however?

Lindsey decided to create two “pods” of employees who would essentially condense their week-long schedules into three-day blocks of 13- to 14-hour shifts. He began the program in February and has appreciated 100 percent retention at the management level since. There’s 18 store leaders involved along with about 20 front-line employees.

Just recently, with the three-day workweek headlining the listing, his restaurant collected more than 420 applicants from a job opening.

There are a few reasons the program resonated, Lindsey says. For workers, it gives them a set schedule and ability to plan lives outside of work in advance. There’s also a seven-day stretch each month where somebody gets off.
    https://www.qsrmagazine.com/exclusiv...e-day-workweek

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 day a week as long u worked 38hrs fulltime worker or fulltime rostered hours, then any hours or shifts u picked up for that week should be paid OT...thats what some of the workers at my workplace is on...OT is where the money is....then again some workplaces dont allow u to work +10hr shifts...

Thread Information