Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So awesome with Wemby, I didn't think the Spurs would get it. While I know the probabilities are independent, but how likely is it for the same Franchise to draft 3 of the 5 most coveted players in the last 35 years (Lebron and Shaq being the other two, where the Spurs weren't even in the lottery)?

Looking forward to seeing how PATFO can build around Wemby. I'd be interested in how the Spurs can design an offence with enough space that can allow him to roam and avoid constant doubles/triples. It will likely be insane amounts of movement around the perimeter and total clear outs in the paint. it will be interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article makes me so happy

Please come back soon Poeltl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t want to think of the alternatives had the Spurs didn’t win the 1st pick. They were prepared to take their 14% chance on a unicorn and it paid off. And months prior, they’ve planned how they would start reconstructing the Spurs roster to suit Wemby. Months before they started playing Sochan at PG in anticipation of Wemby playing PF. Months before they traded Poeltl and opted for a more mobile center who can run and space Wemby. Months before they traded their vets to secure as many picks and capspace to use either to move up on the current draft if they have a player in mind, or use to trade for a caliber player(s) down the line. It’s meticulous planning with Wemby as the center piece, and these all happened months ago. That’s Spurs playing chess while the rest of the league are playing checkers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby could not have gone to a better team. He knows this.

Can't wait to see what players will fit around Wemby.

Collins, Sochan, Vassell, and Tre Jones seem pretty natural.
    KJ might slide into that 6th man energy guy role that he seems so well-suited to play.

I wonder if a Kevin Willis type center, if there is one, might be a nice asset. Enforcer, rebounder. Of course, point guard is up for grabs.

How does this team improve defensively? That's the big question. Wemby helps, but, there's still work to be done.

P.S.-It's nice to have a little break from all the doom/gloom over here. I'm sure that will return soon enough.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

This article outlines the preparation.

The lottery provided the opportunity.

The Spurs will always be viewed as lucky, but they have (more than) done their homework.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do wonder what the strategy is now.

— Feel out and consolidation of talent year?
    — Continue to acquire picks including via trading someone like Keldon and renting space?
    — acceleration of the build?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably all of the above I don't think they will make big moves with free agents unless it's getting a trade of a bad contract and draft pick. I think they will go into next year playing everyone and seeing who works with Wembys style and who doesn't. After his first year is when the focus will begin, but I am sure during the year they will be looking at what contracts they need to sign in the future and what big free agent they like and when they will be available.

I think they will be open to trades and the good thing is we in the cat bird seat for once it will be us calling the shots of what we want. I look forward to the season it will be nice to see how Wemby progresses with the team and how everyone else meshes with him throughout the season.

Thread Information