Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "most likely"?

Sounds like retro wishcasting.
    Your position seems to be it made no difference. Have anything to back up your claim?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your position seems to be it made no difference. Have anything to back up your claim?
    I asked if it ever made a difference.

Looks like it didn't.

Would you lower your prices across the board after getting a tax break?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I asked if it ever made a difference.

Looks like it didn't.

Would you lower your prices across the board after getting a tax break?
    Anyone in a compe ive business has to take into account what their compe ors are charging. I have lowered prices on some items when my cost was lowered, and taxes are just another cost of doing business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone in a compe ive business has to take into account what their compe ors are charging. I have lowered prices on some items when my cost was lowered, and taxes are just another cost of doing business.
    IOW no, you didn't lower prices when you got a tax break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IOW no, you didn't lower prices when you got a tax break.
    I didn't get a tax break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't get a tax break.
    OK, well we'll have to find a corporation that did.

The last cut happened in what, 2018?

Good luck to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but the cost of your lucky charms went up 15% too.
    If I'm that hard up for lucky charms I'll buy the off brand Fortunate Trinkets instead. Or maybe just do without.

I remember about ten years ago cereal companies all decided to jack up their prices across the board. Didn't last long.

I think the automatic assumption that the extra tax will just trickle down to the consumer is your on par narrow sighted view. Too many variables in the markets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm that hard up for lucky charms I'll buy the off brand Fortunate Trinkets instead. Or maybe just do without.

I remember about ten years ago cereal companies all decided to jack up their prices across the board. Didn't last long.

I think the automatic assumption that the extra tax will just trickle down to the consumer is your on par narrow sighted view. Too many variables in the markets.
    I was giving you the benefit of the doubt with Lucky Charms. Should have known you were already slurping down Fortunate Trinkets. Unfortunately they went up 15% too when their cost of doing business went up 15%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you really believe that if General Mills taxes/cost of business went up 15% that the cost of your cheerios wouldn't go up 15%?

literally found a jpeg with Cheerios

https://www.osea.org/study-corporate...nsumer-prices/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you really believe that if General Mills taxes/cost of business went up 15% that the cost of your cheerios wouldn't go up 15%?
    If they do, they now have a product that's not compe ive. But we keep protecting big conglomerates that hate compe ion. That's the other part that's left unsaid about this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We were talking about Federal taxes. General Mills is a multinational corporation. They wouldn't be constantly adjusting prices on a micro level based on state and local variations. Nice try, though.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 04-19-2023 at 12:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they do, they now have a product that's not compe ive. But we keep protecting big conglomerates that hate compe ion. That's the other part that's left unsaid about this.
    The point was an across the board federal tax on all corporations. All would suffer the same increase in the cost of doing business. this wasn't just a tax on cheerios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not really concerned about the debt ceiling being raised. This happens over and over. Its the usual bull posturing by both sides and nothing substantial ever happens. Both parties are big spenders. Fix social security? What a joke. All politician one has to say is " my opponent wants to cut your social security" and politician 2 immediately responds "I pledge to never touch your social security". The issue is debt is growing faster than the economy. That is an unsustainable path and there will eventually be a tipping point.
    It's all gamesmanship until one day it isn't. My concern stems from the notion that conservatives no longer largely believe democracy is working for them, and that's a good opportunity to put a stick of dynamite on the country.

The issue with Social Security has many solutions that certainly don't involve making drastic changes like privatization. For example, immigration to expand the tax base is one of them, and we're certainly not lacking interest from people to come on over.

But when you run on a flawed premise like American exceptionalism, you rather see the country blow up than actual be proactive with solutions.

Plus, this is again an issue caused by another generation of Americans that now wants us to sacrifice for their ups, and on top of that don't want to be part of the solution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point was an across the board federal tax on all corporations. All would suffer the same increase in the cost of doing business. this wasn't just a tax on cheerios.
    But again, in a global economy you also need to remain compe ive. ie: it doesn't take a lot to import Cheerios-compe ion from Mexico.

The larger issue is that our politicos are wholly owned by the General Mills, Comcast, Verizons of the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC doesn't really understand capitalism. He has just been told he likes it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But again, in a global economy you also need to remain compe ive. ie: it doesn't take a lot to import Cheerios-compe ion from Mexico.

The larger issue is that our politicos are wholly owned by the General Mills, Comcast, Verizons of the world.
    I agree. as long as they keep buying politicians they will remain protected. I don't see it ever changing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corporations have had record profits for decades. The money just flows to the hyper-wealthy, provably so.

I have no problem taxing billionaires when their tax evasion schemes end up costing more than we spend on food stamps.

Rich people are leeches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC doesn't really understand capitalism. He has just been told he likes it.
    It has nothing to do with "liking" or "disliking" it. It is simply accepting reality.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least this is a legit thread with points made that have some backing.

CC is about the only conservative on this site who argues using conservative economic policy imo.
    Its at least a useful conversation. Its does not end with " fk money"

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What has me the most concerned is business policies that stifle innovation or even prevent innovation.
    So government has a job here. This is especially relevant in energy imo. The other stuff I just dont know well enough.
    Sorry, carry on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but the cost of your lucky charms went up 15% too.
    this isnt really a compelling explanation, though. its not like corporate profits remain steady, and simply increase/decrease prices scaled to tax rates in some way. we've seen a lot of these companies show record profits. yes, there is inflation, but their profits are outpacing inflation.

direct price fixing has historically been a ty policy, but i would just increase the marginal tax rates to decrease that incentive to hike prices "just because"

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's head I win, tails you lose in this economy. Corporations got their taxes slashed by Trump and it all went to stock buybacks to inflate compensation packages for executives since they can dodge income taxes with stock options thanks to low capital gains taxes. But their costs go up 15% and they raise prices by 30% because there is such little compe ion in so many sectors. Like with cereal almost everything on the shelf is General Mills, Post, or Kelloggs.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corporations have had record profits for decades. The money just flows to the hyper-wealthy, provably so.

I have no problem taxing billionaires when their tax evasion schemes end up costing more than we spend on food stamps.

Rich people are leeches.
    Need to tax capital gains as income to reduce this ridiculous incentive our nation gives corporations to just spend everything buying back stock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We were talking about Federal taxes. General Mills is a multinational corporation. They wouldn't be constantly adjusting prices on a micro level based on state and local variations. Nice try, though.
    The higher taxes in Alaska didn't automatically raise the price of Cheerios. That's the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats an apples point on an orange discussion but thanks for playing.

Thread Information