Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - He’s an anti abortion nut
    - supports school choice programs that do nothing for 95% of families/students and ultimately just reduce the tax burden for rich assholes who’d send their kids to private schools with our without vouchers (all the empirical data on school choice shows that it has minimal impact on private/public school enrollments)
    - he’s a trickle down economics supporter who hired the same economic advisors who helped Sam Brownback destroy Kansas with tax cuts. At one point Youngkin said he wanted to eliminate the VA income tax, then he backpedaled because people in both parties said it was a re ed idea.

your delusions that the GOP is no longer the party obsessed with tax cuts for the rich isn’t based in reality. A tax cut for the rich is the only real legislative accomplishment for Trump when he was in office, and it’s always what the GOP proposes as a solution to every problem.
    its been nice not seeing andy's posts since getting back home. his campaign near the end focused entirely on school stuff, the typical bull of our preschoolers being taught critical race theory, etc. pure panic-mongering

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont really care what they're driving at. if these dumbasses do the occasional thing that leads to a good result, ill take the good result
    Not sure any problem would be solved, apart from former PRC generals buying land too close to military bases. Do you see any?

Bashing Iran, NK, Russia and China is fine and all, but it's more or less mindless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure any problem would be solved, apart from former PRC generals buying land too close to military bases. Do you see any?

Bashing Iran, NK, Russia and China is fine and all, but it's more or less mindless.
    its not just "bashing" them. ideally stuff like this comes from a federal level as a diplomatic move or sanction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might help our felony indicted AG rein in some big city DAs

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88...l/HB01350I.htm

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would wipe out 70% of Virginia’s state budget.
    And so? Defunding the public sector for the most part is a good thing. How Texas, TN, Florida, Washington (Blue!!) State, Blue Hampshire etc... how do they do it? How are they not 70% worse off than VA?

Also, education is a privilege... not a right. Healthcare is a right... not a privilege. Public education should be abolished. Public healthcare should be the norm. The USA has it bass-ackwards.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And so? Defunding the public sector for the most part is a good thing. How Texas, TN, Florida, Washington (Blue!!) State, Blue Hampshire etc... how do they do it? How are they not 70% worse off than VA?
    Texas has property and sales taxes. The state public sector is overfunded. Public education (high school football) is the last thing rural Texans will give up.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Texas and Florida do it by raping people with property taxes (property taxes are the type of tax that should be abolished; taxes should only occur when money, goods, services, etc. change hands). They also do it simply by having no safety net or public services compared to most other states. States with an income tax don’t have a power infrastructure that collapses every time they dip below freezing, and they have ways to de-ice the roads / clear snow so people can drive safely.

TX and FL also each have idiosyncratic ways of raising revenue no other states have (oil and gas for Texas, massive tourism, hotel, rental industry industry in Florida where you can gouge tourists with extra taxes).

Washington has a gross receipts tax (the “business use” tax) (in additional to a normal sales tax) that raises a significant amount of revenue and no other state has it.

Tennessee has a massive sales tax (almost 10% when you factor in the local sales tax that’s also charged. It’s also one of the biggest welfare queens in the country in terms of reliance on federal dollars.

New Hampshire does it by being a small state that gets a load more in federal transfers than it pays in federal taxes.

Also, education is a privilege... not a right. Healthcare is a right... not a privilege. Public education should be abolished. Public healthcare should be the norm. The USA has it bass-ackwards.
    your argument went from “school choice is great for everyone!” To “well education isn’t a right, so them poors!”

Glad we’re in agreement that school choice hurts 90+% of the population.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    its been nice not seeing andy's posts since getting back home. his campaign near the end focused entirely on school stuff, the typical bull of our preschoolers being taught critical race theory, etc. pure panic-mongering
    Didn’t Youngkin sign an EO his first week in office preventing CRT from being taught in schools and all of the school districts responded with “uh we weren’t teaching this stuff before your EO but cool story I guess”

Trump was a real one for randomly accusing him of being Chinese

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t Youngkin sign an EO his first week in office preventing CRT from being taught in schools and all of the school districts responded with “uh we weren’t teaching this stuff before your EO but cool story I guess”
    yeah they also opened a hotline which ended up closing for lack of activity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trump was a real one for randomly accusing him of being Chinese

Youngkin is China Man Young Kin...
    DeSantis is DeSanctimonius...
    Cruz is Lyin' Ted...
    Rubio is Little Marco...

Trump needs to shut the up.

Texas and Florida do it by raping people with property taxes (property taxes are the type of tax that should be abolished; taxes should only occur when money, goods, services, etc. change hands). They also do it simply by having no safety net or public services compared to most other states. States with an income tax don’t have a power infrastructure that collapses every time they dip below freezing, and they have ways to de-ice the roads / clear snow so people can drive safely.

TX and FL also each have idiosyncratic ways of raising revenue no other states have (oil and gas for Texas, massive tourism, hotel, rental industry industry in Florida where you can gouge tourists with extra taxes).

Washington has a gross receipts tax (the “business use” tax) (in additional to a normal sales tax) that raises a significant amount of revenue and no other state has it.

Tennessee has a massive sales tax (almost 10% when you factor in the local sales tax that’s also charged. It’s also one of the biggest welfare queens in the country in terms of reliance on federal dollars.

New Hampshire does it by being a small state that gets a load more in federal transfers than it pays in federal taxes.
    Good post. But what state doesn't rape people on property tax? Wyoming...? The deep south states nobody wants to live in? I agree that if I could choose to abolish income tax or abolish all property tax I would say abolish all property tax.

But, property tax hurts the wealthy and HOA republicans / suburbanites and people living in mansions much more than it hurts your base of liberals and poor blacks living in very old houses in the cities and run down shotgun houses in the middle of nowhere... most of which who vote democrat. Property tax is a wealth tax and hurts the rich much more than the poor. So I thought you'd like it.

I think a 10% or higher sales tax (only 5% on groceries) and low income and very low property tax, low gas tax is the way to go. Tax on consumption, allow people to save and invest more. Also, charge 25% sales tax for anything with designated unhealthy stuff like high fructose corn syrup, nitrites, french fries, etc... encourage a healthier diet and a fitter population.

Texas has property and sales taxes..
    Virginia has all three...

And what state doesn't have property tax?

look at places like Wisconsin and Minnesota... they have very high income tax AND property tax are both sky high and they still manage to have roughly average sales tax. Ohio, too, to a slightly lesser extent, but they have RITA (local) taxes too so they're arguably worse and their property taxes rival Texas's.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 01-20-2023 at 09:34 AM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Good post. But what state doesn't rape people on property tax? Wyoming...? The deep south states nobody wants to live in? I agree that if I could choose to abolish income tax or abolish all property tax I would say abolish all property tax.
    Texas and Florida are much worse in terms of the amount they tax and also how aggressive they are with re-assessments. Florida has an army of tax assessors who make sure that property owners get dinged with a reassessment every time they buy a new house.

The biggest difference though is the fact these states just have no state benefits, their infrastructure sucks, etc.

But, property tax hurts the wealthy and HOA republicans / suburbanites and people living in mansions much more than it hurts your base of liberals and poor blacks living in very old houses in the cities and run down shotgun houses in the middle of nowhere... most of which who vote democrat. Property tax is a wealth tax and hurts the rich much more than the poor. So I thought you'd like it.
    Property taxes hurt renters the most. Unlike the income tax, property taxes do get fully passed down to the customer.

The property taxes paid by the wealthy are still a much smaller percentage of their income than property taxes paid by middle class/lower middle class homeowners. It's a regressive tax when you analyze it as a percentage of income.

I think a 10% or higher sales tax (only 5% on groceries) and low income and very low property tax, low gas tax is the way to go. Tax on consumption, allow people to save and invest more. Also, charge 25% sales tax for anything with designated unhealthy stuff like high fructose corn syrup, nitrites, french fries, etc... encourage a healthier diet and a fitter population.
    tax on consumption

Talk about a tax system that leaves the wealthy untouched and dings poor people the most. Our economy would crater with this tax system. Wages would go down and the cost of living would go up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tax on consumption

Talk about a tax system that leaves the wealthy untouched and dings poor people the most.
    ing this.

It's not even hard math.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas and Florida are much worse in terms of the amount they tax and also how aggressive they are with re-assessments. Florida has an army of tax assessors who make sure that property owners get dinged with a reassessment every time they buy a new house.

The biggest difference though is the fact these states just have no state benefits, their infrastructure sucks, etc.
    Myth debunked. Here are two similar looking and priced, aged homes from two similar type of suburban neighborhoods. One is from a blue state with income taxes and the other is from a similar, lean-republican-but-not-redneck type of newer HOA neighborhood but in Texas:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M41055-18342

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M84693-44881

Note how the property taxes are almost identical, and you actually get more house in a major metro suburb in Texas for the buck.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    We did away with the Bushes, McCain and Romney a long time ago. Soulless globalism is the Democrats' turd sandwich now
    how did I miss this?

Trump's presidency:
    -Rewrote the tax code to create a deduction on offshore earnings of up to 10% of a company's offshore assets (literally incentivizing US companies to make larger investments offshore to get a larger tax deduction).
    -The TCJA also made it so offshore income in excess of that 10% deduction was only subject to a 10.5% tax rate because they could also deduct half of their offshore income (thus halving the new 21% corporate tax rate), so the tax rate on international income is now half of what it is for U.S. income thanks to Trump's corporate tax giveaway.
    -Outsourcing actual went up. During his presidency (and this data isn't even complete, it's only through October 2020), the labor department certified 311,427 jobs lost to trade, 202,543 specifically lost to outsourcing.
    -1 in 4 dollars on federal procurement contracts (so $425.6 billion total) went to firms that were responsible for outsourcing some of those jobs.
    -$113.9 billion in federal procurement contracts under Trump went to firms that outsourced jobs to China even though Trump promised to ban federal contracts to firms offshoring to China
    -Trump let family members use their position in his administration to obtain 100+ Chinese patents (Ivanka) and a $2 billion capital commitment for his company a from Saudi Arabian investment fund (Kushner)
    -Carried water for China in early 2020 when China was being uncooperative about COVID-19 (he literally claimed Xi was working "very hard" to contain COVID-19 )
    -The one thing Trump did that might actually help the US avoid more outsourcing was reforming NAFTA, but even that was neutered and won't go into effect until 2025. Until then jobs will keep going to Mexico.
    -The few times Trump actually purported to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US it was just a tax giveaway to companies that agreed to create US manufacturing jobs with no real accountability so they never actually fulfilled their promise. Trump and Scott Walker gave Foxconn (a Taiwanese company) $3 billion in tax incentives to build a "massive" manufacturing plant in WI that would ostensibly create 30,000 jobs with almost no accountability. Foxconn completely shat all over the agreement and used gimmicky methods to meet its hiring requirements (e.g., hiring people immediately before a reporting period and then immediately firing them). The only good thing to come out of the Foxconn debacle was that it probably cost Scott Walker a 3rd term.

Biden's presidency:
    -Sheldon Whitehouse and Lloyd Doggett introduced a law that would repeal the TCJA incentives on international income discussed above but you can guess what political party blocked it.
    -Biden's tax plan also included a repeal of the TCJA incentives for offshore income and even included penalties/higher taxes for offshore income. The GOP and Sinema rejected it. Biden even wanted a 10% penalty for companies with overseas call centers so we wouldn't have to deal with a curry muncher named Tanjeet Rajamalawal who speaks incoherent English every time there's a customer service issue
    -Biden signed an EO his first week in office to shift procurement contracts to companies that produce goods in the US. Signed various other EOs that close loopholes contractors have relied on to get procurement contracts while outsourcing jobs.
    -Signature legislation was a bill that incentivized domestic sourcing for energy projects, and Joe Manchin's permitting reform bill would have been an even bigger boon for domestic energy production if the Republicans in the senate didn't obstruct it (the squad re s were against permitting reform too but that's because they're morons, not because they're globalists). Macron even went up to Manchin at Davos last week and scolded him over how much the IRA was hurting Europe because of the incentives it had for domestic production.
    -2nd most signature piece of legislation was an infrastructure bill that had domestic content procurement requirements in order to receive federal funding for infrastructure projects.
    -Passed the CHIPS Act (which they basically needed to trick the GOP senate caucus into agreeing to while the house GOP whipped votes against it) to compete with China's chip manufacturing and research capacity. It took a full year to pass because Ron Johnson would object every time they tried moving it forward in order to burn up floor time.

You don't know it, but you're just as much of a rube as the median QAnon MAGAboomer. All it takes is some vague rhetoric from GOP politicians about "muh forgotten man!" and "muh woke corporations!" for you to be convinced that they're the anti-globalist party because you're too intellectually lazy to compare which party's actual policy is more pro-globalism vs. more pro-protectionism when it's not even a real contest. The GOP's opposition to globalism is in rhetoric only while it never translates to real policy.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Myth debunked. Here are two similar looking and priced, aged homes from two similar type of suburban neighborhoods. One is from a blue state with income taxes and the other is from a similar, lean-republican-but-not-redneck type of newer HOA neighborhood but in Texas:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M41055-18342

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M84693-44881

Note how the property taxes are almost identical, and you actually get more house in a major metro suburb in Texas for the buck.
    Michigan has an average 1.54% tax rate on median home value while Texas has an average 1.8% tax rate on median home value.

Michigan's average combined sales tax is also only 6%; Texas's average combined sales tax is 8.2%. When it's all said and done, but states have a nearly identical effective state and local tax burden (8.2%).

Michigan's cost of housing is also lower than Texas's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michigan has an average 1.54% tax rate on median home value while Texas has an average 1.8% tax rate on median home value.

Michigan's average combined sales tax is also only 6%; Texas's average combined sales tax is 8.2%. When it's all said and done, but states have a nearly identical effective state and local tax burden (8.2%).

Michigan's cost of housing is also lower than Texas's.
    I'm pretty sure it's 6% throughout the state. I've been out to eat in like 30+ jurisdictions scattered throughout the mitten and the UP both, and it's always 6%.

In Texas for most cities it's 8.25% to be precise. Was 7.25% in my childhood but they hiked it around the time of the great recession.

Michigan also is peculiar in that most jurisdictions don't have local income tax, the state income tax is flat 4.25%, and the cities with income tax are either big, old, poorer, rust belt type cities (for example, Detroit and Flint have the highest local income tax, but if you live in a nice suburb like Troy or Sterling Heights, Plymouth area, northwest Oakland County etc you dodge the local income tax) or they're random towns in the middle of nowhere (1%). You have to know which ones to avoid if you're buying a house in MI. But the system is kind of backwards because the majority of local income taxes are paid by majority-minority cities.

Michigan's cost of housing isn't really lower than Texas, though. If you look at desirable places to live (nice white-majority suburban areas with reasonable striking distance to the control city) they're about comparable or Michigan is higher. The two major control cities are Detroit and Grand Rapids, and there's a cataclysmic difference in the old, cheap, black-majority, crime-infested city neighborhoods vs. the nice suburbs. It brings down the average cost numbers in Michigan a lot, whereas the same can't exactly be said for areas outside of downtown Fort Worth and Dallas because those are simply more desirable and gentrified than say ghetto Detroit simply put.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tx extremists in lege trying to replace Dade Phelan

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Tx extremists in lege trying to replace Dade Phelan
    Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crazy TX GOP

The Republican Party of Texas launched a striking attack on one of its own this week, state House Speaker Dade Phelan, sparking a backlash from some Republicans in the chamber.

The state party began airing a radio ad that takes Phelan to task for allowing Democrats to continue chairing House committees, a longtime tradition that a small faction of House Republicans sought to end last week as the chamber crafted its rules package. But Phelan and his allies outmaneuvered them, preventing the issue — a state GOP priority — from even reaching a floor vote.

In the minute-long ad, a narrator says the speaker is "teaming up with Democrats to kill our Republican priorities." The spot started running Wednesday in Phelan’s Southeast Texas district, according to a tweet from Texas GOP Chair Matt Rinaldi.

“Call Dade Phelan today,” the ad tells Phelan’s cons uents. “Tell him to be a Republican. Tell him to stop empowering Democrats. Tell him to listen to the 85% of voters who support banning Democrat chairmanships.”

https://www.texastribune.org/texas-g...-phelan-speaker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not science based.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not science based.

Faith based

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when did the core of Christian belief become picking on s and trans? seems like a novelty to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when did the core of Christian belief become picking on s and trans? seems like a novelty to me.
    Seriously? It was against the law to be gay not so long ago because the bible says so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously? It was against the law to be gay not so long ago because the bible says so
    sure, but this was hardly a main emphasis of evangelizing, at least when I was growing up. contempt for gays was general and part of the then normal socialization, hardly the exclusive province of believers. still is, to an extent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure, but this was hardly a main emphasis of evangelizing, at least when I was growing up. contempt for gays was general and part of the then normal socialization, hardly the exclusive province of believers. still is, to an extent.
    I also don't recall gay pride parades and library drag shows as a kid so I don't think evangelicals felt they needed to vocalize their hate as much. It was just kinda mentioned in church that they'll try to recruit you so stay away.

Thread Information