Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    school accountability is passe if we're talking about public vouchers for private schools

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sound off, 1st Amendment warriors

Well, this will be fun. As you’ll recall, in 2021, Texas signed into law a bill that effectively banned the right of companies to moderate content on social media. That law has been challenged in court, and while a district court tossed it out as uncons utional (and obviously so), the 5th Circuit reversed in a ruling so bizarre and incomprehensible, I still have difficulty understanding how anyone takes it seriously. That law is currently in limbo as the Supreme Court figures out what to do about it.

Still, as the law was being rushed through, we called out one area in which Texas laws could conflict, specifically regarding Texas’ new anti-abortion law that criminalizes aiding-and-abetting, which we feared would encourage websites to take down content around abortion, and the social media law, which says you can’t take down such content. Some people pointed out that the abortion law does have an exemption for “1st Amendment protected speech,” suggesting that maybe the two laws wouldn’t be in such conflict.

But, either way, it appears that Texas Representative Steve Toth wants to close that whole “1st Amendment” loophole. Toth, who swore an oath to protect and defend the Cons ution, apparently has skipped right over that 1st Amendment. Because he’s introduced HB 2690, which maybe one of the dumbest state laws I’ve ever seen (and I see a lot of dumb state laws).

The headline on the law is that it effectively makes anything related to “abortion-inducing drugs,” (which has become a key way in which abortions are performed these days) illegal. But, the law doesn’t just make buying or selling such drugs against the law, it requires websites that sell them <b>to be blocked</b>.

Pretty much everything about this law is blatantly, obviously uncons utional. It has a blanket prohibition on any attempt to “provide information on how to obtain an abortion-inducing drug.” And, it goes further than that, banning basically any actions related to the web that involve information on an abortion inducing drug, including a flat ban on doing any of the following:

create, edit, upload, publish, host, maintain, or register a domain name for an Internet website, platform, or other interactive computer service that assists or facilitates a person ’s effort in obtaining an abortion-inducing drug;

And there’s an anti-cir vention rule too. It says anyone who does the following violates the law:

Acreate, edit, program, or distribute any application or software for use on a computer or an electronic device that is intended to enable individuals to obtain an abortion-inducing drug or to facilitate an individual ’s access to an abortion-inducing drug

Hilariously, it claims that any “speech or conduct protected by the First Amendment” is exempted which first off, no , but second: that’s literally everything you listed, dip .

And, of course, the law provides a private right of action (i.e., anyone can sue) against anyone who does any of the above. So even granting the “except for speech protected by the 1st Amendment” (which is everything) what will happen is a flood of vexatious lawsuits against any website providing information on abortions.

A person, other than this state, a political subdivision of this state, and an officer or employee of this state or a political subdivision of this state, has standing to bring and may bring a civil action against a person who provides or maintains:

(1) an interactive computer service that allows residents of this state to access information or material that assists or facilitates efforts to obtain elective abortion abortions or abortion-inducing drugs;
    (2) a platform for downloading any application or software for use on a computer or electronic device that is designed to assist or facilitate efforts to obtain elective abortions or abortion-inducting drugs; or
    (3) a platform that allows or enables those who provide or adi or abet elective abortions, or those who manufacture, distribute, mail, transport, abortion-inducing drugs, to collect money, digital currency, resources, or any other thing of value in connection with that conduct.

So, basically, any website that provides information on abortions, or which sells abortion-inducing drugs, can be sued by anyone.

Free speech!

The bill goes further, explicitly telling ISPs they need to block websites that the government tells them to block (it actually lists out six websites it requires ISPs to block, just to make it explicit just how against the 1st Amendment this bill is).

RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS TO CERTAIN INFORMATION AND MATERIALS ACCESSIBLE THROUGH CERTAIN INTERNET WEBSITES. Each Internet service provider that provides Internet services in this state shall make every reasonable and technologically feasible effort to block Internet access to information or material intended to assist or facilitate efforts to obtain an elective abortion or an abortion-inducing drug, including information or material intended to assist or facilitate efforts to obtain an elective abortion or an abortion-inducing drug, including information or material accessible through:

(1) the following Internet websites:

(A) aidaccess.org;
    (B) heyjane.co;
    (C) plancpills.org;
    (D) mychoix.co;
    (E) justthepill.com; and
    (F) carafem.org;

(2) an Internet website, platform, or other interactive computer service operated by or on behalf of an abortion provider or abortion fund;

(3) an Internet website, platform, or other interactive computer service for downloading any application or software for use on a computer or electronic device that is designed to assist or facilitate efforts to obtain an elective abortion or an abortion-inducing drug; or

(4) an Internet website, platform, or other interactive computer service that allows or enables those who provide or aid or abet elective abortions, or those who manufacture, mail, distribute, transport, or provide abortion-inducing drugs, to collect money, digital currency, resources, or any other thing of value.

Look, when you’re at the point that you’re literally writing out a list of websites that ISPS need to block, you might just be violating the 1st Amendment.
    https://www.techdirt.com/2023/03/03/...-related-info/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, um, how does this work with Texas’ social media bill, HB 20? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There is no answer. Because HB 20 says that a social media platform “may not censor a user, a user’s expression, or a user’s ability to receive expression” based on their “viewpoint.” So, if (for example) a pro-choice person posted information on abortions and about abortion-inducing medicine, a social media website would be prohibited from taking down that content under HB 20, but also open to being sued by basically everyone based on HB 2690.

I mean, both of these are pretty clearly uncons utional intrusions over speech, but it just goes to demonstrate how incredibly short-sighted and ignorant all of these laws are. In trying to demand that websites not moderate, Texas Republicans apparently forgot that they also are very much wishing to censor content at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    school accountability is passe if we're talking about public vouchers for private schools

charter schools throughout the Confederacy are a backdoor to re-segregation, no blacks or browns need apply

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin already voted for this.

So much for devolution of government to localities. Bashing big blue Texas cities is gonna backfire on the Texas GOP at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are that dumb. SCOTUS will realize at some point the can of worms it opened up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin already voted for this.

So much for devolution of government to localities. Bashing big blue Texas cities is gonna backfire on the Texas GOP at some point.

One would think so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are that dumb. SCOTUS will realize at some point the can of worms it opened up.
    SCOTUS6 ChristoFasicist oligarchy toadies know they are untouchable, SUPREMELY above the other 2 branches, and clearly rule that way.

Catholic Alito says they can't know what effects their rulings have, and says they don't ing care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh. We can't pay teachers enough to keep them in the profession, but man for bullets and guns and cops an endless stream of cash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would think so.
    58-42, not a close vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas GOP wants to replace DAs and county officials they don't like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott says he'll call however many special sessions it takes to get it done. Rural Texans will suffer the most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably won't pass, but xenophobia sells.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup...s=88R&Bill=SB8

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup...s=88R&Bill=SB8

Glad my daughter is graduating in two months!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Foxes guarding henhouses will investigate themselves, should any hens die in their custody.

[Sandra] Bland’s treatment by Texas law enforcement in July 2015 quickly blew up into a national scandal. In the following years, her family channeled that public pressure over her death into a $1.9 million settlement agreement with Waller County that also mandated changes at the local jail, as well as into a statewide reform bill the Texas legislature passed in 2017 bearing Bland’s name. The Sandra Bland Act required Texas police to collect more data on traffic stops and make a “good faith effort” to divert people with mental illness away from jail.

The new law also required Texas sheriffs to commission an independent investigation whenever people die in their jails. That job has mostly fallen to the Rangers, and state police investigations into jail deaths have ed since 2018, when the requirement went into effect, helping spotlight the dehumanizing and dangerous conditions that can lead to preventable deaths.

But those investigations could soon dry up because of a bill, filed in the Texas legislature this month by a Republican lawmaker, that would allow sheriffs to investigate themselves for deaths in their jails. Under the bill, the current mandate for an independent investigation would no longer apply if a death is due to “natural causes or occurring in a manner that does not indicate an offense has been committed,” even though such conclusions are what an investigation is supposed to determine in the first place.
    https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88...pdf#navpanes=0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just what we need

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crony capitalism, conservative big government picking winners and losers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas pissing in the wind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We're #43, and no amount of money can improve that."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad I checked into this thread to remind myself how right I was to leave that hole of a state

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crosshairs on Harris County.

On Thursday, April 13, the Texas Senate passed Senate Bill 1933, a bill that would empower the secretary of state to seize election authority from county officials.
    Other legislation moving this session would similarly wrestle control from local administrators. For example, Senate Bill 1750 would eliminate the position of election administrator in counties with a population of 3.5 million or more (Harris County is the only county with this many people) and Senate Bill 1993 would give the secretary of state the authority to order an election to be rerun in counties with a population of more than 2.7 million (again, only Harris County would qualify) under certain cir stances. S.B. 1750 and S.B. 1993 have both advanced out of committee and await a vote on the full Senate floor.
    https://www.democracydocket.com/news...l-authorities/

Thread Information