Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 140+ pts game for opposing side incoming. In theese days it seems like everybody is having a field day against spurs.
    I remember a stretch of our era of the big 3 when giving up a single 30 point quarter in a game was quite rare. Now our boys are about to break an NBA record of futility where most quarters are seemingly well into the 30s, if not the 40s.

And the kicker is that both were pop-coached. Pop of then would have had a melt down.

Scoring is obviously up universally around the league with the rules changes and the increased efficiency of the 3pt shot, but we ate singularly historically bad. It is quite the mystery.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "That Sochan is the third-worst rookie in the whole league in terms of DFG differential matters. He's 21 out of 27 rookies (min 252 minutes) in terms of defensive RAPTOR. He's 31/47 draftees in terms of BPM (which isn't separated on that table), and 34 in terms of WS/48. A lot of rookies on tanking teams are not playing nearly as badly as he is. No, he's not hopeless, but it matters."

Finally someone with the statistical goods that back up what my eyes have been telling me. Sochan isn't the defensive whiz he was/is cracked up to be. Thanks Chinook for the effort to find these stats. I wouldn't have even known where to look.
    Somebody post some random stats and your are like "finally the truth about Sochan defense is revealed"

Sochan is fine defensively, and as the roster gets better he will become a lot better defensively. If I had to list Sochan's top defensive problems

1. He plays with bigs who are awful at 1 on 1 defense

2. He plays with guards who can't stay in front of anyone so he is always having someone coming at him full speed

3. He plays with forwards who do the same as guards, offer no resistance so any player coming at sochan is coming down hill.

That is what all these advanced metrics don't tell you. They don't tell you that 2 seconds before the guard scored on sochan he just came off a screen and got a full head of steam toward the basket. I am very positive if you took these rookies who rank higher than him in whatever metric and you sandwiched them between Keldon Johnson and Zach Collins their defensive numbers would plummet as well.

And the primary problem with the spurs defense is that Gregg Poppovich has never and will never figure out a good defensive scheme that doesn't involve a top tier perimeter defender and a top tier post defender. Pop and/or the coaching staff, also have no clue how to defend the 3 point line. The defensive is going to be generally bad until he is gone and we just have a better basketball mind on the sidelines.

Thread Information