Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy to say if you're not an investor. The spurs are already losing money this season, this would just add to the misery. I know the spurs need to get to the salary floor, but I'm sure that there are better ways to do it than this trade.
    Investors in NBA teams don't make their money on a season by season spending on players salary that stays under the cap.

They make their money by buying at a particular valuation and selling years later at a higher valuation because the league has gone up in value over that duration. Investors in the Spurs got in when the team was valued in the hundreds of millions, and when they divest, it'll be when the team is valued with another zero at the end of that number....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because nobody seems to be looking for Poeltl, and Richardson may be plan Z for every other wing that's being thrown around. It seems everybody is going after Toronto & Utah's players, without any solid info pointing to any of our players. That may change as the deadline approaches, but price is likely to be less than ideal.
    I agree with that. Our players are not priorities and there's certainly way too much optimism about what spurs could get for their "assets".

I highly doubt Rich or Doug could even land a FRP each, and Jak's certainly not worth 2 FRPs for anyone... And truth is we have no idea why DET, CHA, BKN, TOR, BOS... are actually looking for or ready to give.

The only solid value is our cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly does scenario #2 work? Is the money evenly distributed among the entire roster, or could the spurs allocate it strategically? I’m imagining a *wink wink* deal like what Turner got: more money NOW in exchange for a new team-friendly deal (Vassell, Jak, etc.). In effect, this would provide cap relief to future spurs teams, rather than other teams now.
    No. It has to be paid out at the end of the year.. There is a pot of money that gets apportioned based on the percentage of the cap you receive.

I doubt it comes to that. I’m guessing the Spurs have a lot of small cap trades lined up in case a big trade does not materialize.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line

1. Spurs are currently at about 99 million is salary
    2. NBA Salary floor is 111 million
    3. We need to spend approximately 12 million just to get to the salary floor
    4. We trade JRich and Dougie's 25.6 million total salary for Russ's 47 million dollar salary to get a first round pick in say 2029 . Granted half of those players salary is already used up so its a 12 million for a 24 million dollar contract and a first.
    5. The issue I have is that yeah we get to the salary floor but we also spend an extra 12 million for Russ's contract of which we will get nothing or very little in return (buyout wise) when we release him.
    6. So basically you're paying about 12 million now for a probably protected future first and you don't replace JRich and/or Dougie which will also cost if you do.
    7. I know this is pretty much of a lost season but this deal seems awfully expensive for just one first round pick.
    8. I can see the spurs making a small trade at the deadline if at all, but divide the rest of the salary floor money between the players. They deserve it after playing in such a terrible tanking season.

Lakers aren't looking to rid themselves of Westbrook just to get rid of him. They would move him for pieces. All talk is that they will attach pics only for players they deem worthy (i.e. if they could get Luka or something).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. It has to be paid out at the end of the year.. There is a pot of money that gets apportioned based on the percentage of the cap you receive.

I doubt it comes to that. I’m guessing the Spurs have a lot of small cap trades lined up in case a big trade does not materialize.
    Without looking into it I suspect a portion of that under the cap salary is already allocated pro-rata same way as if we took on Wes Russ today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers aren't looking to rid themselves of Westbrook just to get rid of him. They would move him for pieces. All talk is that they will attach pics only for players they deem worthy (i.e. if they could get Luka or something).
    I don't believe that, but if it turns out to be true, then they'll have to keep him because no one is taking him without a pick being attached.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly does scenario #2 work? Is the money evenly distributed among the entire roster, or could the spurs allocate it strategically? I’m imagining a *wink wink* deal like what Turner got: more money NOW in exchange for a new team-friendly deal (Vassell, Jak, etc.). In effect, this would provide cap relief to future spurs teams, rather than other teams now.

Unless it’s changed, the individual amounts the players get is determined by the players union. That’s probably to prevent exactly what you said - the team trying to take advantage.

So I guess, in practice, the team front office sends the check for the full amount to the players union, and it’s distributed to the players from there. Also, I think the money is distributed in shares, not according to contract size. (Since contract size was negotiated with the team, but this is strictly a player thing.) Back to what you asked, it’s more of an even distribution, I believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe a trade for kyrie will solve the spurs pg position...trey is fkn

then draft ur big or whatever around kyrie......only for him to pull a pms out of nowhere request another trade...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line

4. We trade JRich and Dougie's 25.6 million total salary for Russ's 47 million dollar salary to get a first round pick in say 2029 . Granted half of those players salary is already used up so its a 12 million for a 24 million dollar contract and a first.
    5. The issue I have is that yeah we get to the salary floor but we also spend an extra 12 million for Russ's contract of which we will get nothing or very little in return (buyout wise) when we release him.
    6. So basically you're paying about 12 million now for a probably protected future first and you don't replace JRich and/or Dougie which will also cost if you do.
    7. I know this is pretty much of a lost season but this deal seems awfully expensive for just one first round pick.
    8. I can see the spurs making a small trade at the deadline if at all, but divide the rest of the salary floor money between the players. They deserve it after playing in such a terrible tanking season.
    Spurs will be paying that 12m regardless. Whether to Westbrook or to other players.
    So just get a pick with it.
    Spurs will pay to reach cap floor. Whether they buy the pick or not.
    It's like you have to spend all your money this year. If you didn't. You lose it anyway. Might as well buy an expensive meal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that too. they're desperate for more talent and would try to get something really valuable back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be interesting if they’re willing to part with Mann. Lakers will definitely have compe ion which cuts both ways for our prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG, your deal is underpaying us. We're chucking in multiple assets - Richardson, Doug, Tre and Zach plus our available capspace (which, as you note, is a unique asset in the NBA at this point, and I think the only way a WB for Kyrie swap gets done) for only 1 pick. That deal potentially rescues the Lakers' season and saves Brooklyn a ton of cap charges (and might fix their season as well - getting Kyrie out of the mix with Simmons might help both players, and they get some useful players back as well). At a minimum we should be going for both LA Picks, and I would certainly start the ask at more than that. Either a 3ed pick from Brooklyn or the 28 swap from LAL.
    Maybe and I said I can see that perspective. But I view knocking Dougs money off next year (regardless of need to do so), not truly taking on any meaningful money this year & keeping Jak to sign or trade still along with entirety of main core outside of Tre as a big win alongside the quality of the pick.

Would you rather have both LA picks lottery protected and maybe a 2nd from BKY or the 1 fully unprotected pick? To me, while I can 100% understand others want more, would still be happy due to that picks potential and value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that too. they're desperate for more talent and would try to get something really valuable back.
    Irving is one of those players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with that. Our players are not priorities and there's certainly way too much optimism about what spurs could get for their "assets".

I highly doubt Rich or Doug could even land a FRP each, and Jak's certainly not worth 2 FRPs for anyone... And truth is we have no idea why DET, CHA, BKN, TOR, BOS... are actually looking for or ready to give.

The only solid value is our cap space.
    I am absolutely perplexed that outside of maybe Clarkson, people think Conley/Beasley are better than Doug/Richardson/Tre/Collins. Nothing points to that fact at all let alone accounting for age, contracts and quality of teammate they are.

All of the Spurs players I mentioned are objectively better than Conley/Beasley or at the very least equal at worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because you have to hit a salary floor doesn’t mean you waste your valuable cap space that NO other team has to absorb Westbrook. Plenty of teams need that space … possibly even small pieces of it … to make trades happen. Stranger things have happened, but they could net lottery protected firsts just renting out a portion of the space.

They’ll find a way to hit the floor. Just be patient, and good things will come. If anything, Wright’s maneuvering over the past year shows they are able to work their way into trades and extract assets.
    Ya I agree with this. It doesn’t have to be a WB full deal. There can be other uses and other teams needing smaller amounts etc…WB is just a huge one where we know LA needs to move him most likely to improve in a significant way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am absolutely perplexed that outside of maybe Clarkson, people think Conley/Beasley are better than Doug/Richardson/Tre/Collins. Nothing points to that fact at all let alone accounting for age, contracts and quality of teammate they are.

All of the Spurs players I mentioned are objectively better than Conley/Beasley or at the very least equal at worst.
    I don't know but playing in a tanking team certainly doesn't help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers including Terence Mann may get the deal done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know but playing in a tanking team certainly doesn't help.
    Maybe - but I highly doubt, unless you are someone that shows lack of effort etc that coaches and NBA talent evaluators care that much. Even on the bad team, they can look at stats, efficiency and advanced metrics to paint a picture and that picture does not have players like Conley/Beasley as better, let alone a lot better, than the guys SA has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will be paying that 12m regardless. Whether to Westbrook or to other players.
    So just get a pick with it.
    Spurs will pay to reach cap floor. Whether they buy the pick or not.
    It's like you have to spend all your money this year. If you didn't. You lose it anyway. Might as well buy an expensive meal
    If you look at items 1 - 3 , that point is clearly made. There is no argument with that. We will spend it one way or another. Its everything beyond that amount that gets expensive whether in players or lost salary to a waived player.

Big time players like Kyrie and Russ will get their money one way or another but one bad deal by the team can negatively haunt the franchise for years. You have to remember that this deal will not help the spurs this year (other than getting to the salary floor) for another few years at best. I believe that there are better, more equitable deals out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line

Who ing cares? Why would anyone here care how much money goes towards a first? Its dead money and its not like it stops the Spurs from anything in the future? Are you the Holts?

I'm not in favor of any particular deal, but fans acting like something being expensive when it has no impact on them is hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And to be clear on something - I am not saying this is the only deal or that it’s the best deal BKY can get etc…lots of deals for them to make and many possible paths. Just a way that seems somewhat clear on how SA can add value to a trade and get something out of it too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be interesting if they’re willing to part with Mann. Lakers will definitely have compe ion which cuts both ways for our prospects.
    Clippers including Terence Mann may get the deal done.
    Why would a 26 year old averaging 8ppg be such a difference maker in a kyrie deal?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it's pro-rated for the rest of the season, but still. You're paying a huge amount of money for a single pick. The problem is that Nets and Lakers (might) need a facilitator but they don't have enough to appeal to the Spurs to be used.
    Why wouldn't you want to rent the capspace for an asset? Better than paying the difference between the current cap figure and the salary floor and getting nothing out of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't you want to rent the capspace for an asset? Better than paying the difference between the current cap figure and the salary floor and getting nothing out of it.
    My guess is there are other teams that will want to use the SAS cap space. I don't see a Kyrie trade that sends anything the Spurs way. If they pay twenty million plus for a single draft pick that's not my money.

Thread Information