Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grant Williams injured again in Boston. Jak’s value appreciating.
    Robert Williams, and apparently it's not serious (as much as a knee injury can be "non serious" to someone who seems to be plagued by them).
    At this point I am inclined to believe they'll go after someone like Ibaka, but if the scenario worsens for Williams, yes that could make a HUGE difference on Poeltl's value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    POR, if they had any assets, would be a great fit for Jak…Nurk sucks and Jak would help them tremendously. I just don’t see a path where they can give SA much. They owe a first to CHI lottery protected for like 4 years, but I guess could do two future firsts…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robert Williams, and apparently it's not serious (as much as a knee injury can be "non serious" to someone who seems to be plagued by them).
    At this point I am inclined to believe they'll go after someone like Ibaka, but if the scenario worsens for Williams, yes that could make a HUGE difference on Poeltl's value.
    Excuse me, meant Robert Williams who has been injury prone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    POR, if they had any assets, would be a great fit for Jak…Nurk sucks and Jak would help them tremendously. I just don’t see a path where they can give SA much. They owe a first to CHI lottery protected for like 4 years, but I guess could do two future firsts…
    They can't trade a single first , the pick they owe Chicago has lottery protections until 2028.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka is listed as being 33, but there is some thought that being born in Africa. He may have been much older than his listed draft age. Even in the best case that his age was true, he’s 6 years older than Poeltl. If they’re trying to set up a 4-5 year window, Poeltl is the clear choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka is listed as being 33, but there is some thought that being born in Africa. He may have been much older than his listed draft age. Even in the best case that his age was true, he’s 6 years older than Poeltl. If they’re trying to set up a 4-5 year window, Poeltl is the clear choice.
    However old Ibaka may be, that's not going to be relevant if it's just these upcoming playoffs Boston has in mind, and he'd be much cheaper both in terms of salary and assets to acquire him (probably a dead end 2nd will do). Poeltl only makes sense if they intend to keep him long term, which is why the severity of the injury is key.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-20m-contract

Latest per BR Spurs hoping to keep Jak and he is looking for ~20mm a yr in his next deal. If we could swing a far out unprotected FRP i’d pull the trigger. Two FRPs is a dream.

If there is no deal to be made I’m all for facilitating a sign and trade but giving him a 4yr/80mm deal this summer is risky biz. That might not age well even though we have the cap to spend.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-22-2023 at 05:10 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Latest per BR Spurs hoping to keep Jak and he is looking for ~20mm a yr in his next deal
    Starting to feel the smartest move is to hold on to him. Order of operations:

- See what happens in the draft
    - make him prove he can get the higher offer
    - offer to match it and front load his contract
    - if no go, explore sign and trade route (Jak will want this too given limited cap teams)
    - if still no, sign him with understanding by both they’ll seek to move him next deadline

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Latest per BR Spurs hoping to keep Jak and he is looking for ~20mm a yr in his next deal. If we could swing a far out unprotected FRP i’d pull the trigger. Two FRPs is a dream.

If there is no deal to be made I’m all for facilitating a sign and trade but giving him a 4yr/80mm deal this summer is risky biz. That might not age well even though we have the cap to spend.
    I do it. One pundit was speculating the new MLE could approach 15M, which puts things in perspective to me. I’d also front load his deal ala Keldon to improve trade appeal later in the deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The corpse of Ibaka isn't sufficient insurance and despite his current state and preference to be traded, I'm not sure the Bucks would want to do so to their primary compe ion to get out of the East.

The Celtics shouldn't risk throwing away a championship that's theirs for the taking because of pick protections (within' reason) or the unlikelihood of getting Poeltl re-signed.

Their problem is even if they're willing to go lower on protection than any other, the likelihood of it conveying in a commensurate range anytime soon is obviously slim and they lack an expendable secondary asset to grease the wheels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure the severity of this one Williams injury is the key, just the fact that he’s CONSTANTLY injured, and probably not durable enough for starters duty. If that’s their thinking, there isn’t even a choice between Ibaka and Jakob. You go and get Jak, and move Williams to your bench, creating probably the best 1-2 center combo in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if I am Boston I am going all in who cares about draft picks they all ready got there starters and bench players they set for the next couple of years. Poodle would be a great fit for them and would definitely help them ring it should be a no brainer for them as the strong possibility of several rings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robert Williams' injury history is definitely a concern, but also let's not forget they recently made a deal with us with the sole purpose of reducing their tax bill, I'm not sure they're willing to take on Poeltl's salary on top of that, especially when they know he's going to command a hefty sum to keep him. So there are definitely reasons for Boston to go for it (I agree with most of you on that), but also many others keeping them from doing so, which is why I think another serious scare may just be what pushes them over the edge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder about situations like this where the Spurs have created a financial incentive for players to hope the team doesn't do anything to take on salary. They're all staring at a fairly decent bonus if the Spurs can't swing any deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word is Milwaukee has offered four 2nd round picks for Eric Gordon.

Underlines how little teams have by way of 1st round capital. Also suggests what the market looks like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word is Milwaukee has offered four 2nd round picks for Eric Gordon.

Underlines how little teams have by way of 1st round capital. Also suggests what the market looks like.
    Well, he’s 34 years old. Unless you’re talking All NBA talent, you’re probably not drawing a FRP at that age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't trade a single first , the pick they owe Chicago has lottery protections until 2028.
    I thought so - but was not sure due to the protections if there was a way for them to make future trades based on likelihood for it to convey etc…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robert Williams' injury history is definitely a concern, but also let's not forget they recently made a deal with us with the sole purpose of reducing their tax bill, I'm not sure they're willing to take on Poeltl's salary on top of that, especially when they know he's going to command a hefty sum to keep him. So there are definitely reasons for Boston to go for it (I agree with most of you on that), but also many others keeping them from doing so, which is why I think another serious scare may just be what pushes them over the edge.
    They may have just used an opportunty they saw to reduce their tax bill without hurting the overall quality of the team, or even so a potential, future costly move hurt a little less financially.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought so - but was not sure due to the protections if there was a way for them to make future trades based on likelihood for it to convey etc…
    Trading a first with lots of protections/rollover clauses could be a genius way for a GM to stop himself from making dumb trades in the future. Kind of like playing a game of chicken then ripping your steering wheel off and waving it out the window.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading a first with lots of protections/rollover clauses could be a genius way for a GM to stop himself from making dumb trades in the future. Kind of like playing a game of chicken then ripping your steering wheel off and waving it out the window.
    The standard, and most common, is a three year window, with 2 seconds being the booby prize if it doesn’t convey. Turns out we got VERY lucky getting that Toronto FRP last year, since the window of two years was shorter than usual, and they just suck this year.

The CHA pick is a three year window, as is the CHI pick, although the window on that pick is kind of fluid. Depending on when, or if they convey a FRP to Orlando, it could convey as early as 2025 if they convey the pick to Orlando this year or don’t convey a FRP, or as late as 2028 if CHI keeps their pick this year by jumping into the top 4, but conveys it to ORL in 2024, starting our 3 year clock in 2026.
    Last edited by exstatic; 01-23-2023 at 12:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka is at least 37

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The CHA pick is a three year window
    The Charlotte pick has a very narrow window of 2 years at best, as it's impossible for them to make the top 16 this year. It'd take a miracle for them to put together a playoff team next year, unless they land Wemby, Bridges returns, and Lamelo breaks out. Also they've made it known they're taking offers for pretty much their entire roster (sans a few youngsters), so they're closer to a rebuild than anything else. We have a very, very small chance of ever landing that pick in the 1st round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers working to finalize a trade with the Wiz for Rai Hach

Wow

Nunn + 3 2nds

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for the Lakers. Not so much for us.

Thread Information