Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is there are other teams that will want to use the SAS cap space. I don't see a Kyrie trade that sends anything the Spurs way. If they pay twenty million plus for a single draft pick that's not my money.
    They wouldn't be paying $20 million since Westbrook's salary would be pro-rated to about $15.7 million. The trade deadline is more than 2/3 into the season, just because the allstar game hasn't happened yet doesn't mean we're not way past the halfway mark of the season. And if they stood pad they'd have to spend $12 million more than their current committed salary anyways to hit the salary floor. So in a vacuum it could be like paying $3.7 million for a pick, though more likely it wouldn't cost the Spurs any money since they'd have to send salary out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn't be paying $20 million since Westbrook's salary would be pro-rated to about $15.7 million. The trade deadline is more than 2/3 into the season, just because the allstar game hasn't happened yet doesn't mean we're not way past the halfway mark of the season. And if they stood pad they'd have to spend $12 million more than their current committed salary anyways to hit the salary floor. So in a vacuum it could be like paying $3.7 million for a pick, though more likely it wouldn't cost the Spurs any money since they'd have to send salary out.
    If that's it, I see Brooklyn just eating the luxury tax and taking the extra pick themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would a 26 year old averaging 8ppg be such a difference maker in a kyrie deal?
    He has upside and a few 30+ point games so far. All the other offers are washed overpaid players like Westbrook, Lowry, Chris Paul (which I don’t believe is on the table). Beggars can’t be too picky. I think Clippers are going to get this done.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's it, I see Brooklyn just eating the luxury tax and taking the extra pick themselves.
    The full salary counts against Brooklyn's luxury tax penalty since Westbrooks full $47 million counts against their cap if they just eat the salary. It's pretty hilarious. His actual salary they payout will be prorated, but not their tax hit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you look at items 1 - 3 , that point is clearly made. There is no argument with that. We will spend it one way or another. Its everything beyond that amount that gets expensive whether in players or lost salary to a waived player.

Big time players like Kyrie and Russ will get their money one way or another but one bad deal by the team can negatively haunt the franchise for years. You have to remember that this deal will not help the spurs this year (other than getting to the salary floor) for another few years at best. I believe that there are better, more equitable deals out there.
    Dafuq you talking about? Taking on Russ and immediately waiving him isn't going to haunt the franchise for years, it's going to take a couple of hours of Brian Wright's time and he'll net some draft capital for it. There isn't some ghost of Russ's buyout that is going to haunt anyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The full salary counts against Brooklyn's luxury tax penalty since Westbrooks full $47 million counts against their cap if they just eat the salary. It's pretty hilarious. His actual salary they payout will be prorated, but not their tax hit.
    Per usual, you've nailed it the analysis on this one. Getting a pick for facilitating Westbrook will cost the Spurs around $4MM for a pick (a bargin), whereas Brooklyn eating the tax bill will make it absurdly expensive. We're in a good position to facilitate on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has upside and a few 30+ point games so far. All the other offers are washed overpaid players like Westbrook, Lowry, Chris Paul (which I don’t believe is on the table). Beggars can’t be too picky. I think Clippers are going to get this done.
    He’s 26. How much upside does he have? Because of a fluke playoff performance a couple of years ago his name still carries weight?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you look at items 1 - 3 , that point is clearly made. There is no argument with that. We will spend it one way or another. Its everything beyond that amount that gets expensive whether in players or lost salary to a waived player.

Big time players like Kyrie and Russ will get their money one way or another but one bad deal by the team can negatively haunt the franchise for years. You have to remember that this deal will not help the spurs this year (other than getting to the salary floor) for another few years at best. I believe that there are better, more equitable deals out there.
    How does it haunt spurs for years? Westbrook contract expires this year. Richardson, McDermott etc is not really difference maker. Unless you see them as long term pieces? If anything. It will be great for spurs to get out of that McDermott contract. They can sign someone of that calibur rather easily anyway

You said 12m is expensive. So it is not beyond that amount. (which is point 7 of what you stated)

Maybe there are better deals. Spurs will choose what best deal they can get. But on its own. The 12m doesn't matter from an expense perspective.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't absorb Westbrook without sending likely both J Rich and Doug. At that scenario there is no additional salary and we are still 7.2 million below salary floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $40M for a pick? Our situation isn’t a luxury tax one. Brooklyn is a repeat offender in the Golden State mold. They’re going to WANT someone to take Westbrook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’d be nice to get in on this deal if we are heavily compensated but would also be enjoyable to not cooperate and watch Kyrie sit out the rest of the season and watch both the Nets and Lakers flame out

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thought is that if Irving is going to torpedo the Nets season, then Durrant will likely want out too, so I think teams could consider their options and prioritize Durant instead. Just spitballing. Speculating further, it would be hilarious if OKC tried to make a move to get Durant back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thought is that if Irving is going to torpedo the Nets season, then Durrant will likely want out too, so I think teams could consider their options and prioritize Durant instead. Just spitballing. Speculating further, it would be hilarious if OKC tried to make a move to get Durant back.
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Durant go to one of these up and coming teams to finish his career out. Memphis or NO would be exciting landing spots for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Durant go to one of these up and coming teams to finish his career out. Memphis or NO would be exciting landing spots for him.
    Would you imagine? He’s be awesome at either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you imagine? He’s be awesome at either
    I’m sure the Nets would like to salvage a last chance at winning a le with KD by getting win now players back for Kyrie but I don’t see many teams giving up much as only win now team will be interested in KI.

If Kyrie is traded KD will want out.

Nets really need to tear this down. They have a few BAD contracts on their books in Joe Harris and Simmons.

I think they most likely move Kyrie for Russ and the Lakers two unprotected FRPs. Throw in a small contract to make the math work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure the Nets would like to salvage a last chance at winning a le with KD by getting win now players back for Kyrie but I don’t see many teams giving up much as only win now team will be interested in KI.

Nets really need to tear this down. They have a few BAD contracts on their books in Joe Harris and Simmons.

I think they most likely move Kyrie for Russ and the Lakers two unprotected FRPs. Throw in a small contract to make the math work.
    They’re screwed, tax wise, unless they get someone to eat Russ’s contract, like $35M. That alone might be worth one of those UFRPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm Brooklyn, I try my best to turn Durant into some combination of Ingram, Daniels, and their best '23 and/or '24 picks (NO's or the Lakers').

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re screwed, tax wise, unless they get someone to eat Russ’s contract, like $35M. That alone might be worth one of those UFRPs.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2bhxuuyt

Nets outgoing: Irving to Lakers, Harris to Lakers
    Nets incoming: Josh Richardson from Spurs, Doug McDermott from Spurs, Austin Reaves from Lakers, Pat Beverley from Lakers, SRP 2025 from Lakers
    Lakers outgoing: Westbrick to Spurs, Reaves to Nets, FRP 27, FRP 29 (both unprotected), SRP 2025
    Lakers incoming: Irving from Nets, Harris from Nets
    Spurs outgoing: Josh Richardson to Nets, Doug McDermott to Nets
    Spurs incoming: Westbrick, , FRP 27, 29 from Lakers

The Nets cut their luxury tax drastically, add two good shooters in Richardson & McDermott who can spread the floor for Simmons & Durant, one up-and-comer and decent role player in Reaves and a dependable defender in Pat Bev to mix it up in the playoffs this year. And they get a SRP too.

The Lakers get Irving and extend their contention for a bit with Mr Cancer in the mix and get rid of Westbrick. In Harris, they can unlock a good 3Pt shooter once he gets his post-long term injury rhythm back.

The Spurs get two unprotected FRPs for Richardson & McDermott and for carrying Westbrick's contract.

Who says no? I guess, the Lakers. But their hands might be tied if the Clippers get into the mix.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think the concerns with the tear down is that Houston becomes the beneficiary of their picks. But if they’re able to get high value from KD that’ll help, which is why NOLA seems like a nice fit for BKN.

If they get Ingram, Dyson and Murphy/Jones plus some picks, that’s a great way to reboot. The two years of Simmons deal will go quickly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If/when push comes to shove, the Trail Blazers make the most sense for Durant.

A sign and trade of Grant combined with either Simons or Sharpe, plus whatever other necessary salary picks/swaps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm Brooklyn, I try my best to turn Durant into some combination of Ingram, Daniels, and their best '23 and/or '24 picks (NO's or the Lakers').
    I like that for both teams IF KD wants out…would be a fun trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the concerns with the tear down is that Houston becomes the beneficiary of their picks. But if they’re able to get high value from KD that’ll help, which is why NOLA seems like a nice fit for BKN.

If they get Ingram, Dyson and Murphy/Jones plus some picks, that’s a great way to reboot. The two years of Simmons deal will go quickly.
    Exactly. There is zero incentive to tear down because you don’t have your own picks. Also, why would you take WB when you can get better players like Doug/Josh/Collins/Tre, still not take on any salary and save a ton of money? It makes no sense to me to just take on WB for BKY but obviously that is possible if SA does not play ball or wont settle for a certain amount.

Now, if KD demands out? Sure, then you flip to only wanting picks to replace the ones you had already given up. But without having your own picks it makes tearing down a really bad option especially when you can hedge getting some useful players back and save money and still get a first too possibly (like my scenario)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Haynes@ChrisBHaynes

The Phoenix Suns are prepared to pursue Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant should he become available, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.

2:36pm · 5 Feb 2023 · Twitter for iPhone

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't expect a trade until the last day of the deadline as all teams will hold out until the last day for the best possible trade for them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Haynes@ChrisBHaynes

The Phoenix Suns are prepared to pursue Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant should he become available, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.

2:36pm · 5 Feb 2023 · Twitter for iPhone
    Water is wet

Thread Information