Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a lot of missed out diamond in the rough possible picks for the Lakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They gave up nothing for Rui. Not that Rui is all that great, he’s basically a reclamation project similar to KBD right now. He’s a tweener whose ceiling now is as a role player because of his liability on defense while being old school on offense. Lakers will probably play him like they did wth Melo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1617584801686650881
    Finalized deal: Rui Hachimura for Kendrick Nunn, 2023 second via Chicago, 2029 LA second and and less favorable of 2028 Washington/LA seconds, sources tell ESPN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They gave up nothing for Rui. Not that Rui is all that great, he’s basically a reclamation project similar to KBD right now. He’s a tweener whose ceiling now is as a role player because of his liability on defense while being old school on offense. Lakers will probably play him like they did wth Melo.
    He's still a project, but he's younger and much better than KBD. A young PF who can shoot and has upside is a step in the right direction for the Lakers. And most 2nd rounders they gave up are not that good either.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The standard, and most common, is a three year window, with 2 seconds being the booby prize if it doesn’t convey. Turns out we got VERY lucky getting that Toronto FRP last year, since the window of two years was shorter than usual, and they just suck this year.

The CHA pick is a three year window, as is the CHI pick, although the window on that pick is kind of fluid. Depending on when, or if they convey a FRP to Orlando, it could convey as early as 2025 if they convey the pick to Orlando this year or don’t convey a FRP, or as late as 2028 if CHI keeps their pick this year by jumping into the top 4, but conveys it to ORL in 2024, starting our 3 year clock in 2026.
    Another non-standard way to stop yourself from making dumb trades could be to do the three-year window but in every other season instead of consecutive seasons.

Let's say a team has all their own firsts, with none going out and none coming in for the next seven years. They could trade a 2024 protected 1-16 first that becomes a 2026 protected 1-14 first if not conveyed in 2024, and a 2028 protected 1-14 first if not conveyed in 2026, that becomes a 2nd or two if the 2028 first doesn't convey. That would prevent the team from trading any more first round picks at all until the 2023 draft, when the 2030 first could be traded, unless they acquire another first elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Charlotte pick has a very narrow window of 2 years at best, as it's impossible for them to make the top 16 this year. It'd take a miracle for them to put together a playoff team next year, unless they land Wemby, Bridges returns, and Lamelo breaks out. Also they've made it known they're taking offers for pretty much their entire roster (sans a few youngsters), so they're closer to a rebuild than anything else. We have a very, very small chance of ever landing that pick in the 1st round.
    If they don’t make the playoffs (conveying their pick to us) in the next two years, LaMelo is gone. That probably keeps their GM awake at night.

They’ll have a lottery pick this year, and are in negotiations with Bridges to get him signed and serving his inevitable suspension, but he will probably be back next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn Washington giving reparations to Lakers for the Russ trade

Maybe Massai can do similar for us in a Jak trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn Washington giving reparations to Lakers for the Russ trade

Maybe Massai can do similar for us in a Jak trade
    If Rui were anything, they wouldn’t have traded him. He’s almost 25, he had one good 3 point shooting season last year, and his per 36 rebounds are 6.3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Rui were anything, they wouldn’t have traded him. He’s almost 25, he had one good 3 point shooting season last year, and his per 36 rebounds are 6.3.
    They have a glut at PF, and they had to choose between him or Kuzma. He's got availability issues, but he's shot 35.6% from 3 for his career, and 77.6% from the line. His rebounding numbers are mediocre, but comparable to Tobias Harris, Jimmy Butler, Grant Williams, etc. If he's able to play consistently (big if) he'll be a bargain, if not, well... they just spent 1 decent 2nd rounder (Chicago's, likely in the high 30s this year) and 2 likely bad ones far away. Very low risk, potentially high reward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A front court of Thomas Bryant and Rui Hachimura might have some scoring capability, but are awful defensively. This seems like a fairly good pick-up for the Lakers, although Rui is hardly a world-beater. I doubt there's any 'high reward' to this scenario but it helps. Also suggests that there wasn't a huge market for him; getting three 2nds is alright I suppose.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good deal for LAL. Don’t dislike for WAS either since those picks should be ok

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I knew the Lakers would target "second draft"/young veteran players, who have team control or an easy pathway to it, with lesser picks.

For a team as bereft of size and athleticism at forward and youth in general as they are, Hachimura is worth a shot, even if he probably tops out as a flawed 7th man.

Wizards must feel confident in re-signing Kuzma, otherwise they quickly become thin at forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Malaki the Miracle Branham then because I remember watching those TOR and BOS picks crystalizing last year and it was a total rollercoaster. Why I hate pick protections, what conveys could end up being an entirely different value 2RPs are a far cry from what was initially a FRP.

Was awesome seeing #20 and #25 fall into place but I seem to recall BOS costing us some slots/value with the end of their season. Wasn't it possible that BOS could've been as good as ~#21ish instead and it was a flukey win or coin flip in the end? And of course TOR flirting with keeping theirs as well, doing just enough to ultimately convey to SA in the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Malaki the Miracle Branham then because I remember watching those TOR and BOS picks crystalizing last year and it was a total rollercoaster. Why I hate pick protections, what conveys could end up being an entirely different value 2RPs are a far cry from what was initially a FRP.

Was awesome seeing #20 and #25 fall into place but I seem to recall BOS costing us some slots/value with the end of their season. Wasn't it possible that BOS could've been as good as ~#21ish instead and it was a flukey win or coin flip in the end? And of course TOR flirting with keeping theirs as well, doing just enough to ultimately convey to SA in the end.
    Toronto ended up tied with Denver for the 20th record, and Boston tied for 23rd with Philadelphia & Milwaukee. Toronto (20) won the tiebreaker with Denver (21), while Boston (25) lost to Philly (23) & Milwaukee (24). I was pissed with Milwaukee gift-wrapping their last game and thus failing to surpass Boston, but ultimately since Roddy & Beauchamp were taken at 23 & 24, it's safe to assume those tiebreakers ended up costing us nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto ended up tied with Denver for the 20th record, and Boston tied for 23rd with Philadelphia & Milwaukee. Toronto (20) won the tiebreaker with Denver (21), while Boston (25) lost to Philly (23) & Milwaukee (24). I was pissed with Milwaukee gift-wrapping their last game and thus failing to surpass Boston, but ultimately since Roddy & Beauchamp were taken at 23 & 24, it's safe to assume those tiebreakers ended up costing us nothing.
    Good analysis. Blake Wesley is a big swing, but I'd rather have him than Roddy and Beauchamp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lakers don't have much left as far as draft picks. My guess is that when they eventually trade Lebum to some sucker team with extra assets or cap space, they'll get some picks back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lakers don't have much left as far as draft picks. My guess is that when they eventually trade Lebum to some sucker team with extra assets or cap space, they'll get some picks back.
    Actually they have plenty of picks:
    '23: New Orleans' (via swap)
    '24: own / none (New Orleans choice to take it or defer to '25)
    '25: own / none (depending on whether New Orleans defers '24 or not)
    '26: own
    '27: own
    '28: own
    '29: own
    So basically they have 6 1st round picks in the next 7 drafts, it's just that people get the idea they have little because a lot of them can't be traded per the Stepien rule (2 at most: '27 & '29).
    But for instance they could wait till draft day, arrange the drafting of a certain player with a given team, and then trade them his rights, plus '27 & '29 unprotected picks, plus '26 & '28 unprotected swaps, plus 4 2nd rounders. That's basically 2 unprotected picks + 1 protected picks + 2 unprotected swaps + 4 second rounders to trade at their will, way more than we got for Dejounte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically they have 6 1st round picks in the next 7 drafts, it's just that people get the idea they have little because a lot of them can't be traded per the Stepien rule (2 at most: '27 & '29).
    But for instance they could wait till draft day, arrange the drafting of a certain player with a given team, and then trade them his rights, plus '27 & '29 unprotected picks, plus '26 & '28 unprotected swaps, plus 4 2nd rounders. That's basically 2 unprotected picks + 1 protected picks + 2 unprotected swaps + 4 second rounders to trade at their will, way more than we got for Dejounte.
    This is why I don't get why they're so reluctant to trade the 27 and 29 firsts. It's not like they don't have picks. When you have LeBron and AD you go all in. Their FO has been pretty inept, way worse than SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why I don't get why they're so reluctant to trade the 27 and 29 firsts. It's not like they don't have picks. When you have LeBron and AD you go all in. Their FO has been pretty inept, way worse than SA
    Tough to trust AD’s health and LBJ at all so I don’t think they actually care to mortgage the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamers out of the Poodle pursuit?

They were never gonna give anyways. Try to peddle Westchuck for Poodle and McForbesbot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to trust AD’s health and LBJ at all so I don’t think they actually care to mortgage the future.
    They just resigned bron and AD to extensions recently didn't they? What's the point of treading water while they're still there taking up most of the cap? Spending the assets to get them some legit help would allow their fragile stars more rest throughout the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also open up some good cap space this summer, I believe. They're not in horrible shape, but need to make good decisions with what they have, which hasn't been their forte lately. And LeBron is more up his son's butt lately than anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There was discussion after the draft that all 3 picks had been inside the Spurs draft board top20, so Bostons finishing Kick could be viewed as irrelevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I meant to say was that they don't have a lot of picks within Lebron's window which is 1 within the next 3 years or so. With 2 out the next 3 lakers likely 1st round picks , the pelicans are doing quite well. Who knows what the lakers will be like 4 plus years from now and what their picks will be worth, but the media sure makes it seem really really valuable . But that's the media who's always tend to favor the lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I meant to say was that they don't have a lot of picks within Lebron's window which is 1 within the next 3 years or so. With 2 out the next 3 lakers likely 1st round picks , the pelicans are doing quite well. Who knows what the lakers will be like 4 plus years from now and what their picks will be worth, but the media sure makes it seem really really valuable . But that's the media who's always tend to favor the lakers.
    You're missing the point. Whether the picks are far into the future is irrelevant (aren't OKC's or ours for that matter?), as they're not planning on building a contender through the draft. If the Lakers so choose they could trade a pretty significant package of 2 unprotected picks + 2 unprotected swaps + 4 second rounders RIGHT NOW. They don't have to wait one second, and YES, that's a pretty valuable package, better than the one that Dejounte got us. And in 5 months you can add one more pick to that (NO's pick, which they cannot trade directly but can draft a player and trade his rights after draft day). They're just extra cautious in light of how the recent blockbusters they made (AD & Westbrook) ended up. But I fully expect them to use those in case a true star is available, like say KD (don't think that'll be enough, but if things go sour for the Nets, who knows).

Thread Information