Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood, my question was more along these lines:

Chicago owes Orlando the pick if it outside the top 4.

Can Orlando turn around and trade that pick with ADDITIONAL protections to the Spurs (as an example), say with top 10 protection.

So, the pick would be: If it is in the top 4, it is Chicago's. If 5-10, it is Orlando's. If outside of the top 10 it is San Antonio's?

Is that allowed? Not advocating this is an actual possibility, just wondering.
    Gotcha. I think you can repurpose a pick like that. I think the Spurs would want protections for this year, and next, when it turns into SRPs.

What would Orlando want off of our roster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, the pick would be: If it is in the top 4, it is Chicago's. If 5-10, it is Orlando's. If outside of the top 10 it is San Antonio's?
    What will the Spurs get if this pick is in the 5-10 range?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood, my question was more along these lines:

Chicago owes Orlando the pick if it outside the top 4.

Can Orlando turn around and trade that pick with ADDITIONAL protections to the Spurs (as an example), say with top 10 protection.

Is that allowed? Not advocating this is an actual possibility, just wondering.
    Not sure many teams would agree with a "potential" pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotcha. I think you can repurpose a pick like that. I think the Spurs would want protections for this year, and next, when it turns into SRPs.

Can’t see them wanting anything outside of Vassell and Keldon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure many teams would agree with a "potential" pick.
    That’s what any protected pick is.

If we get a similar loose protection on next year’s pick if this one doesn’t convey, it’s no different, and less protected than the Charlotte pick the next two years.

Something like 2023 CHI 1-4, ORL 5-10, SA 11+
    2024 CHI 1-3, ORL 4-10, SA 11+

Maybe we split the two SRPs with Orlando if it doesn’t convey. If the pick conveys to ORL, we get two SRPs from them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t see them wanting anything outside of Vassell and Keldon.
    Keldon is almost untradeable by the CBA this year with poison pill provision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There’s a Shakespeare theater in Orlando. They’d want Romeo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think there is any actual deal to be had with Orlando, TBH. I think Vassell is our only true asset that fits their roster and even then it is a stretch. I was just responding to the other person who posited them as a trade partner. I would probably trade Devin for Chicago's Top 4 protected pick this year, but I wouldn't take it if it were Top 10 protected. Really can't see anything else Orlando would want from us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What will the Spurs get if this pick is in the 5-10 range?
    In this hypothetical, it would just roll like any other protected pick.

Again, I'm not actually proposing the Spurs do this, just wondering if multi-layered protections like this are even allowed.

If I'm Orlando, I am pretty stoked to have a Top 4 protected pick from another potential lotto team this year to go with their own. Orlando is going to be in a really good spot to reshape their roster around the solid young pieces they already have, either by drafting or trading.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s what any protected pick is.

If we get a similar loose protection on next year’s pick if this one doesn’t convey, it’s no different, and less protected than the Charlotte pick the next two years.

Something like 2023 CHI 1-4, ORL 5-10, SA 11+
    2024 CHI 1-3, ORL 4-10, SA 11+

Maybe we split the two SRPs with Orlando if it doesn’t convey. If the pick conveys to ORL, we get two SRPs from them
    Put like you did, OK. But there was no compensation mentioned in Scott post for the two teams who don't get the pick (maybe that was suggested). Reason why I called it "potential", since two teams would end up with nothing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put like you did, OK. But there was no compensation mentioned in Scott post for the two teams who don't get the pick (maybe that was suggested). Reason why I called it "potential", since two teams would end up with nothing...
    Chicago already what they "get", in Vucivec. Orlando would get whatever we sent them for the pick. If the pick didn't convey to San Antonio, it would roll as negotiated like all other protected picks. There isn't a scenario where a team ends up with nothing... the worst case scenario is when the acquiring team ends up with 2 SRPs. Not really different than any other protected pick regime.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is almost untradeable by the CBA this year with poison pill provision.
    It works taking back Bamba and one minimum salary on the trade machine I ran it through...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago already what they "get", in Vucivec. Orlando would get whatever we sent them for the pick. If the pick didn't convey to San Antonio, it would roll as negotiated like all other protected picks. There isn't a scenario where a team ends up with nothing... the worst case scenario is when the acquiring team ends up with 2 SRPs. Not really different than any other protected pick regime.
    I didn't mean ofc get nothing at all, but in your configuration, that pick looks like a bonus for whoever luck in it, and there isn't a defined compensation for the other two, just what was previously negociated without knowing who will get the pick...

There's no "if this team gets the pick" then "this happens for the other two"... It's kind of "here's the deal" and one of you three get that pick also.
    Last edited by JPB; 01-27-2023 at 08:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't mean ofc get nothing at all, but in your configuration, that pick looks like a bonus for whoever luck in it, and there isn't a defined compensation for the other two, just what was previously negociated without knowing who will get the pick...

There's no "if this team gets the pick" then "this happens for the other two"... It's kind of "here's the deal" and one of you three get that pick also.
    That's kind of the nature of protected picks though, isn't it? If Chicago doesn't "luck" into a Top 4, then they are getting no pick. There is nothing more to it than that, as they were already compensated for giving up Pick 5-30.

Likewise for Orlando in this scenario, their protection is for pick 5-10. Anything outside of that, they get nothing, because they already got whatever the Spurs gave to them to get pick 11-30.

I didn't get into whatever the backup protection is, because this is just a hypothetical scenario asked to see if it was even legal.

I'd imagine the protections would be something like what ex suggested, but of course it is all negotiable. Worst case scenario when you're the team on the receiving end of a protected pick (especially a lightly protected pick) is that the team just sneaks into the protections and you end up with a couple of seconds. Orlando could be a ping-pong bounce difference between the #5 pick and some second rounders.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who says no? Windhorst musing that Suns & Mil still trying to figure out Crowder trade and have been talking to 3rd teams.

MIL: Crowder + Roby
    PHX: Richardson + Hill
    SAS: Saric + Ibaka+ Nwora + Suns 23FRP + Portland 24SRP (via MIL) + Indy's 25SRP (via MIL)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who says no? Windhorst musing that Suns & Mil still trying to figure out Crowder trade and have been talking to 3rd teams.

SAS: Saric + Ibaka+ Nwora + Suns 23FRP + Portland 24SRP (via MIL) + Indy's 25SRP (via MIL)
    My guess is Phoenix...but from a SA perspective we'd do that I believe..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is Phoenix...but from a SA perspective we'd do that I believe..
    I don't think anyone would pass 1 FRP, 2 SRPs + players for Ridcharson as Spurs GM, but such a trade would never exist in the first place.

I understand fans try to imagine trades that make their teams big winners but other teams don't trade to make you happy, which you call yourself if you get even one FRP for ridcharson. Probabilities would say a second, unless someone is really desperate but nobody's desperate nowadays in the NBA.
    Last edited by JPB; 01-30-2023 at 01:50 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anyone would pass 1 FRP, 2 SRPs + players for Ridcharson as Spurs GM, but such a trade would never exist in the first place.

I understand fans try to imagine trades that make their teams big winners but other teams don't trade to make you happy.
    You think Phoenix takes that deal? Giving up a first to get Josh... I mean that'd be great but I don't see it..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Phoenix takes that deal? Giving up a first to get Josh... I mean that'd be great but I don't see it..
    No, precisely. That's why I said such a trade offer would never exist and other teams don't trade to make you happy. No way Ridcharson brings you all that, probably not even a first (which I added just after you quoted me)...
    Last edited by JPB; 01-30-2023 at 01:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Unfortunately Suns. They are stuck in no mans land and need to go all in with their future first round draft picks or rebuild. They value Crowder similar to how we value JRich. Bith clubs are out to lunch as neither are worth an FRP.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, precisely. That's why I said such a trade offer would never exist and other teams don't trade to make you happy. No way Ridcharson brings you all that, probably not even a first (which I added just after you quoted me)...
    Two things:

1. If you believe Windhorst, MIL/PHX have been talking about moving Crowder, MIL is super motivated, and PHX just doesn’t want Grayson Allen. The only alternative (without making it a bigger deal) that gets the matching money is Nwora, Ibaka, and Hill. This is why they’ve been trying to get a third team.

2. In my framework, PHX is also getting under the tax which is another priority for them. Lots a savings there by shedding 5M. I factor that in when I consider PHX giving up the pick, which I concede is the trickiest part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is getting under the tax a priority for PHX? Comments by the new owner made it seem less so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is getting under the tax a priority for PHX? Comments by the new owner made it seem less so.
    I take those to mean he’s OK paying the tax if they make an actual upgrade (OG, Collins). I’m less convinced he’s happy paying it to keep their status quo or making a minor deal (like this one) if it doesn’t also help their tax situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things:

1. If you believe Windhorst, MIL/PHX have been talking about moving Crowder, MIL is super motivated, and PHX just doesn’t want Grayson Allen. The only alternative (without making it a bigger deal) that gets the matching money is Nwora, Ibaka, and Hill. This is why they’ve been trying to get a third team.

2. In my framework, PHX is also getting under the tax which is another priority for them. Lots a savings there by shedding 5M. I factor that in when I consider PHX giving up the pick, which I concede is the trickiest part.
    Phoenix are like $17 mil in the tax. This trade wouldn't get them below it, but it'd save them a few luxury tax bucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix are like $17 mil in the tax. This trade wouldn't get them below it, but it'd save them a few luxury tax bucks.
    Not just a few buck— closer to 7.5M at least

Thread Information