Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is actually better to sign Jakob for 4 years, you see how contracts are lining up to expire before the cap e, you don't want cap space in 2026.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing...this reduces Indy's cap space this year, so they're out of the running for a Westbrook dump....that could be significant..
    Important point. And just generally I think it just leaves us as the main dumping ground no?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

May have an impact on Jak both in FA if he stays + on trade deadline if this means Turner is off market
    My question is, couldn’t we also do a renegotiation with Jakob given our cap space? That’s the whole reason Indy was able to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's getting almost 30M per additional year, despite the weird structure. This doesn't drive Poeltl's expectations down by any means.
    IMO, the proper way to look at this is a two-year, $20/yr deal. The front loading is just Indy spending to the floor that they had to do anyway. Turner probably wanted to hit FA for a bigger deal, so Indy had to basically bribe him to take this and become a more tradable asset, with a contract that should be relatively appealing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, the proper way to look at this is a two-year, $20/yr deal. The front loading is just Indy spending to the floor that they had to do anyway. Turner probably wanted to hit FA for a bigger deal, so Indy had to basically bribe him to take this and become a more tradable asset, with a contract that should be relatively appealing.
    From the players' perspective, by signing this extension he's under contract for 2 years and 58M (29M per year) than he would have otherwise been. You can't expect Poeltl to ignore that, and he shouldn't. Now maybe you can say that's more than Turner would have gotten per year in free agency, and that's a fair point because surely he wouldn't have accepted less years of guaranteed money unless he had another incentive to do this (extra money per year), but still this drives prices up for Poeltl no doubt. If he was asking for 20M before this, sure as he11 he's not taking less now. This move by Indy is genius, it'd be interesting to know which are the limits to such renegotiation, as applied to Poeltl for instance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. To Turner it’s huge, but it’s “free” for INDY since that money was going to be spent anyways. Not apples to apples but some sort of point I was making about trading Doug and Zach and how that would make Jakobs first year free too which is a great value (even if not necessary)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the players' perspective, by signing this extension he's under contract for 2 years and 58M (29M per year) than he would have otherwise been. You can't expect Poeltl to ignore that, and he shouldn't. Now maybe you can say that's more than Turner would have gotten per year in free agency, and that's a fair point because surely he wouldn't have accepted less years of guaranteed money unless he had another incentive to do this (extra money per year), but still this drives prices up for Poeltl no doubt. If he was asking for 20M before this, sure as he11 he's not taking less now. This move by Indy is genius, it'd be interesting to know which are the limits to such renegotiation, as applied to Poeltl for instance.
    I don’t see any reason why the spurs can do the same thing with Jakob… if they wanted to that is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is, couldn’t we also do a renegotiation with Jakob given our cap space? That’s the whole reason Indy was able to do it.
    Poeltl isn't eligible for a contract renegotiation because it has to be a 4 or 5-year contract. His is 3 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Important point. And just generally I think it just leaves us as the main dumping ground no?
    Yep...if a team needs to shed salary, we are the go to spot..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl isn't eligible for a contract renegotiation because it has to be a 4 or 5-year contract. His is 3 years.
    Ah, ok that make sense. Figured we’d have heard more about this option if it were available

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just my take, is that the most they can realistically get for Poeltl is 1 middling first and a young middling player. You might get two firsts but those will probably have heavy protections of some sort. Do the spurs really want that for one of their top players ?

Every player is worth a lot now (wink wink), but come the deadline the price comes down due to some team desperately wanting to make a deal. Opinions are all over the place on this subject but in less than 2 weeks, we'll know for sure. Stay tuned.
    There’s a value of Jak to a team, and there’s an added value in keeping him off a compe or’s roster, going against you down the stretch. I disagree with your thinking that his value is dropping because nothing has happened yet. Nothing happens almost every year until the last day. The Spurs also aren’t desperate to make a deal. They’ve fielded calls, and have set a price.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One question that might be interesting for those thinking trade is how does Myles extension compare to Aytons contract. Pacers were hot on Ayton and probably not wanting to give too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a value of Jak to a team, and there’s an added value in keeping him off a compe or’s roster, going against you down the stretch. I disagree with your thinking that his value is dropping because nothing has happened yet. Nothing happens almost every year until the last day. The Spurs also aren’t desperate to make a deal. They’ve fielded calls, and have set a price.
    Toronto has supposedly already floated something along the lines of what jjspur mentioned...a middling first with lots of protections and a middling player. Spurs aren't buying. I'm quite doubtful the offers get much better because the Spurs arent getting 2 firsts. And Poeltl is playing down his value like it or not. He simply isn't playing at that level he's had the past 2 years, or really last year especially. Spurs are likely to still have Poeltl after the deadline IMO, UNLESS they decrease their asking price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto has been mentioned as a trade partner and we have a bit of a trade history with them.

I was thinking Precious Achuiwa and Otto Porter + a 2nd for Poeltl. A young guy and a vet plus a pick. Don't get two firsts but I see that as a reasonable trade. Porter is a decent role player when healthy and Achuiwa is a young strong PF who fits the spurs timeline. Put together both won't earn what Poeltl is likely to be asking this summer.

Toronto is probably thinking Khem Birch and top 20 protected future first. Spurs say not only no, but nah. Come back with a real offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto has been mentioned as a trade partner and we have a bit of a trade history with them.

I was thinking Precious Achuiwa and Otto Porter + a 2nd for Poeltl. A young guy and a vet plus a pick. Don't get two firsts but I see that as a reasonable trade. Porter is a decent role player when healthy and Achuiwa is a young strong PF who fits the spurs timeline. Put together both won't earn what Poeltl is likely to be asking this summer.

Toronto is probably thinking Khem Birch and top 20 protected future first. Spurs say not only no, but nah. Come back with a real offer.
    They’re not doing a deal with zero FRPs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No...We'd be much better off signing Jak than taking that..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, jeeesus. Just extend him at that point. That's silly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's a pretty awful trade imo

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hilarious that they renegotiate Turner’s contract and his status is still mired in ambiguity after, what, three years of being on the block. Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Mavs need a center, but there’s the question of how to make a trade work with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Mavs need a center, but there’s the question of how to make a trade work with them.
    They’re only able to trade 2027 and 2029 r/n.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing that would unlock movement with Dallas is whether we’d be willing to take Bert back. Each year that passed the less ty that deal looks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing that would unlock movement with Dallas is whether we’d be willing to take Bert back. Each year that passed the less ty that deal looks
    And the more ty he looks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, with the cap rising and Spurs having a ton of space, I'd take Bertans for those 2027 and 2029 picks with no protection.

Luka's deal ends in 2027 and Cuban has proven to be incompetent when it comes to building around his stars time and time again.
    Luka doesn't seem like he has that Dirk loyalty in him and if they don't improve within the next few seasons, he's surely gone. And their roster situation without him is horrible. Those pick could be gold.

Spurs already somewhat gambled with Hawks being incompetent in DJ trade and it just might work out considering the state of things in Atlanta.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic is going to set franchise records in Dallas. That’s a guarantee if he stays. Championships aren’t guaranteed if he leaves. I don’t think he leaves because of those reasons.

Thread Information