Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer had an unexpected trade scenario where Yak goes to OKC to help in the pnr with their multiple point guards and we dip into their war chest. It was mostly just the Ringer dweebs slobbering over OKC again for some stupid reason, but Sam does have a lot of draft picks he has has to do something with at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://theathletic.com/4136200/2023...-suns-crowder/
    Across the NBA, it’s no secret the Toronto Raptors are viewed as a swing team in this year’s trade market. Raptors vice chairman and president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri and general manager Bobby Webster have what’s seen as a talented core of attractive pieces in Pascal Siakam, O.G. Anunoby and Gary Trent Jr. Because of the Raptors’ disappointing season thus far (they are currently 23-28 and in 12th place in the East), rival teams have been informed that the franchise will make a decision about being a buyer or seller – or standing pat – near deadline day, according to league sources
    At this time, they may be closer to selling than buying TBH

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer had an unexpected trade scenario where Yak goes to OKC to help in the pnr with their multiple point guards and we dip into their war chest. It was mostly just the Ringer dweebs slobbering over OKC again for some stupid reason, but Sam does have a lot of draft picks he has has to do something with at some point.
    It does make sense from an OKC perspective... they gave up, what 3 picks for ousmane... giving up a couple mid to late lottery picks probably helps them and Jak fits next to Chet long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, that trade is loopsided in favor of the Spurs:
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/1...y-jakob-poeltl

Oklahoma City gets: Jakob Poeltl
    San Antonio gets: Mike Muscala, OKC’s lottery-protected 2023 first-round pick, and LAC’s unprotected 2024 first-round pick

At a stunning 24-25, 0.5 games out of the play-in, and 9-4 in January, the Thunder are low-key coming up to a major crossroads on February 9. Do they stand pat? Do they add to their war chest of assets? Or, you know, do they try to win some games, make the playoffs, and let Shai Gilgeous-Alexander cook on a stage that befits his immaculate skill set?

For a team that’s struggled to grab defensive rebounds and may need a long-term interior presence who can help streamline Chet Holmgren’s responsibilities and free him from taxing dirty work as a full-time center, the 27-year-old Poeltl makes a ton of sense. His poise as a pick-and-roll partner will make life easier for SGA, Josh Giddey, and Jalen Williams. His rim protection and reliable drop coverage will also help OKC limit attempts at the rim and the corners (where they currently bleed shots).

The Thunder can go one of a few ways. But coming off a January in which they led the league in net rating, it might be time for them to take a step forward and reenter the compe ive landscape.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://theathletic.com/4136200/2023...-suns-crowder/

At this time, they may be closer to selling than buying TBH
    I'd be selling if I were them too... I'd especially be looking to move Fred and Trent Jr. I wouldn't want to pay them what they're looking for on this team. I could also 'squint' and see them going after Jak in a larger deal moving fvf and tj elsewhere and sending the picks acquired in that deal to us and not including their own 1st this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The risk with OKC is that their situation would allow them to generate the necessary cap space to sign Poeltl outright, without the need for a S&T. I'd say they're probably our biggest threat of losing Poeltl for nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, that trade is loopsided in favor of the Spurs:
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/1...y-jakob-poeltl

Oklahoma City gets: Jakob Poeltl
    San Antonio gets: Mike Muscala, OKC’s lottery-protected 2023 first-round pick, and LAC’s unprotected 2024 first-round pick

At a stunning 24-25, 0.5 games out of the play-in, and 9-4 in January, the Thunder are low-key coming up to a major crossroads on February 9. Do they stand pat? Do they add to their war chest of assets? Or, you know, do they try to win some games, make the playoffs, and let Shai Gilgeous-Alexander cook on a stage that befits his immaculate skill set?

For a team that’s struggled to grab defensive rebounds and may need a long-term interior presence who can help streamline Chet Holmgren’s responsibilities and free him from taxing dirty work as a full-time center, the 27-year-old Poeltl makes a ton of sense. His poise as a pick-and-roll partner will make life easier for SGA, Josh Giddey, and Jalen Williams. His rim protection and reliable drop coverage will also help OKC limit attempts at the rim and the corners (where they currently bleed shots).

The Thunder can go one of a few ways. But coming off a January in which they led the league in net rating, it might be time for them to take a step forward and reenter the compe ive landscape.
    I don't see that being very lopsided. The OKC pick is protected and the Clippers pick is likely to be in the mid to late 20's. That seems like appropriate value to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be selling if I were them too... I'd especially be looking to move Fred and Trent Jr. I wouldn't want to pay them what they're looking for on this team. I could also 'squint' and see them going after Jak in a larger deal moving fvf and tj elsewhere and sending the picks acquired in that deal to us and not including their own 1st this year.
    Yeah, me too. In any case, I wouldn't rule out them wanting Poeltl even if they're sellers, because they're not burning everything to the ground, but more likely taking a few steps back, and Poeltl would still make sense in that scenario. Bad news is, that scenario should lower Poeltl's price.
    I think Koloko + a protected first (with decreasing protections, something like 14, 10, 8) could be a reasonable middle ground for both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see that being very lopsided. The OKC pick is protected and the Clippers pick is likely to be in the mid to late 20's. That seems like appropriate value to me.
    The Clippers pick would likely be around 20, with a chance of striking gold given Kawhi & PG's injury history; I'll take that pick alone if you ask me. Also, even if OKC's pick is protected, if they land Jakob it means they're no longer tanking, and in the short term they should be good enough to make the playoffs, but not so much to make a top seed, so that pick should convey in the 15-20 range either in '24 or '25. That's 2 picks in the 15-20 range, IMO, with a chance of one of them falling into the lottery. I'd take that offer so fast their head would be spinning.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clippers pick would likely be around 20, with a chance of striking gold given Kawhi & PG's injury history; I'll take that pick alone if you ask me. Also, even if OKC's pick is protected, if they land Jakob it means they're no longer tanking, and in the short term they should be good enough to make the playoffs, but not so much to make a top seed, so that pick should convey in the 15-20 range either in '24 or '25. That's 2 picks in the 15-20 range, IMO, with a chance of one of them falling into the lottery. I'd take that offer so fast their head would be spinning.
    I'd take that too. The clippers pick is the plum there... it's probably in the 20's, but like you pointed out, it could strike gold. That's a risk worth taking...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope I'm wrong but I have a real hard time believing Jak is worth 2 FRPs, protected or not, for any team... I'll only believe it when I see it, because so far there's no indication at all that's the case, only spurs expecting (and probably not even) that...

Would I enter a trade as another team where spurs get 2FPRs for Poetl? No way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope I'm wrong but I have a real hard time believing Jak is worth 2 FRPs, protected or not, for any team... I'll only believe it when I see it, because so far there's no indication at all that's the case, only spurs expecting (and probably not even) that...

Would I enter a trade as another team where spurs get 2FPRs for Poetl? No way.
    Well we'll both find out in just a little over a week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know Poeltl's trade is all over the place. Some say he's worth 2 first rounders while others think he's worth only a 1st. I'm kinda in the middle, a first rounder probably protected plus a decent player (not Kornet from Boston) is probably what he's worth. The knicks have a few picks to throw around. Id be calling them rather than Boston even if we don't like their front office. They have their own picks or the the ability to swap picks for the next several years, plus some halfway decent talent on their roster. The Boston deals don't seem to bring back very much real value for a player who does have real value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Presti/OKC going for Poeltl at all.

1. Presti is addicted to drafting. I legit believe this. He doesn't know how to actually construct a team as much as he loves rolling the dice.

2. They aren't in win-now mode. Presti is proud and wants to create a team that wins under his own terms. Also, if he wanted a big to pair with his team of skinny dudes, he could have traded to get Duren instead of Dieng. (That would have been a much, much better move.)

As for Poeltl's worth, I do think he's worth 2 FRPs, it's just that no one contending has them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Presti is addicted to drafting. I legit believe this. He doesn't know how to actually construct a team as much as he loves rolling the dice.

2. They aren't in win-now mode. Presti is proud and wants to create a team that wins under his own terms. Also, if he wanted a big to pair with his team of skinny dudes, he could have traded to get Duren instead of Dieng. (That would have been a much, much better move.)

As for Poeltl's worth, I do think he's worth 2 FRPs, it's just that no one contending has them.
    "They aren't in win-now mode"- That's the question though... at some point they have to pivot and they sure haven't tanked this year. Jak could be a relatively cheap way to increase their shot at getting in the play in (only 1 game out at this point) and a nice long term fit with Chet.

I'm not predicting that they trade for Jak, just that it's feasible with where they are in the standings and where they will be next season. There are other teams that probably want him more but OKC is a realistic destination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC just drafted Chet. I can’t see them wanting anything we have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with poeltl playing like i doubt the spurs will getting the offers theyve been holding out for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've no doubts some spurs fans think Poeltl is worth 2 FRPs, that's natural. Now, ask fans from any other team what they think, and I'm farily sure few to no one thinks he is... just like I believe most spurs fans thinking he is wouldn't give 2 FRPs for Poetl as a GM.. 1 FRP + a player is indeed the most spurs would be offered IMHO...

But I'd be glad being proven wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've no doubts some spurs fans think Poeltl is worth 2 FRPs, that's natural. Now, ask fans from any other team what they think, and I'm farily sure few to no one thinks he is... just like I believe most spurs fans thinking he is wouldn't give 2 FRPs for Poetl as a GM.. 1 FRP + a player is indeed the most spurs would be offered IMHO...

But I'd be glad being proven wrong.
    Other fans pay no attention to the Spurs. They were surprised Derrick White was as good as he was. They were flabbergasted that Murray received what he did. They literally have no idea what Spurs players are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with poeltl playing like i doubt the spurs will getting the offers theyve been holding out for
    I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said -- other FOs know who these players are. They weren't hatched out of an egg in the last few days, or last few weeks, or even just last summer. Thad Young was desired by Toronto last year despite not playing much or well for the Spurs. Like, literally a few games on a bad team is not going to sway anybody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine playing for a tank team knowing you could be playing for the celtics any day now....youd half ass it too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine playing for a tank team knowing you could be playing for the celtics any day now....youd half ass it too.
    I can see that. When it comes to Jak he is missing what DJM brought to this team. He was getting spoon fed last year on offense and had someone else who could rebound the ball.

He also knows he is getting 65-80mm over 4 yrs come this offseason regardless.

We definitely missed the boat on selling high but hopefully we can work a sign and trade come July if we can’t get something at the deadline. I see few reasons in retaining him however

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matisse Thybulle would be an interesting return. We all know Morey has to make a trade every deadline, it’s in his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said -- other FOs know who these players are. They weren't hatched out of an egg in the last few days, or last few weeks, or even just last summer. Thad Young was desired by Toronto last year despite not playing much or well for the Spurs. Like, literally a few games on a bad team is not going to sway anybody.
    toronto didnt trade for Thad because he thought he would be a big difference maker on the court. guy was playing 15mpg in the playoffs for them. he wasnt any more productive for toronto than he was for us. if anything the thad young trade is a cautionary tale for other teams (thad and poeltl are in very different parts of their career, i recognize that)

a team that wants to make a trade to "win now" is definitely going to be concerned with a player's current level of play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    toronto didnt trade for Thad because he thought he would be a big difference maker on the court. guy was playing 15mpg in the playoffs for them. he wasnt any more productive for toronto than he was for us. if anything the thad young trade is a cautionary tale for other teams (thad and poeltl are in very different parts of their career, i recognize that)

a team that wants to make a trade to "win now" is definitely going to be concerned with a player's current level of play
    Yes, in the sense that they'd care if he were bad all year. But they aren't looking at the last week to make their judgment, in the same way that they would likely not add a first-round pick for Richardson if he had a couple of 30-point games before the deadline.

Thread Information