Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At a minimum I would love for Josh and Doug to be moved. If we move Jak I am good with that too. But if we can move Josh + Doug and get 1 first out of that and a 2nd collectively I would be happy.

Then we have Jak still, can resign him by functionally allocating Dougs money to Jak (plus a little more) and still have more draft capital to add to stash.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would rather keep Poeltl and pay him $20 a year than have that 28 Boston first.

Spurs will need a center, and Wemby will probably need a center next to him for the first few years anyway should the Spurs be so lucky.

Of all the 2028 picks in the league, Boston is one of the few teams to reasonably think should still be good based on their current young players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the Pelicans would be willing to give up for Poeltl? Lots of talent and assets on that roster…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At a minimum I would love for Josh and Doug to be moved. If we move Jak I am good with that too. But if we can move Josh + Doug and get 1 first out of that and a 2nd collectively I would be happy.

Then we have Jak still, can resign him by functionally allocating Dougs money to Jak (plus a little more) and still have more draft capital to add to stash.
    doug can be moved next year when he's on the last year of his deal, so there's less of a rush there. i think right now him having that additional year decreases his value if anything because the team trading for him is making a commitment they probably dont want to.

the only player we definitely should move is josh richardson. i'd obviously move jak if the right deal came along, but id also be fine just re-signing him anyway, so i wouldnt move him just for the sake of moving him and getting something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the Pelicans would be willing to give up for Poeltl? Lots of talent and assets on that roster…
    Would take the LAL pick this year from them. Doubt its a top 3 pick, would guess late lotto or in the teens at worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would take the LAL pick this year from them. Doubt its a top 3 pick, would guess late lotto or in the teens at worst.
    lol we are not getting that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would take the LAL pick this year from them. Doubt it’s a top 3 pick, would guess late lotto or in the teens at worst.
    Agree with KingKev on this. Don’t think they’d be willing to part with that.
    But they have 2 first rounders next year (LA again, and their own or right to swap with Milwaukee) which may enter discussions.

Again they may be unlikely to do this but

NOP: Poeltl
    SAS: Kira Lewis + Trey Murphy III + 2024 NOP/Milwaukee pick

Lots of overlap on positions if you’re buying NOP having a full roster come playoff time.
    Kira is redundant there, Trey may be considered untouchable but if Ingram and Herb Jones are healthy; is he going to play?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with KingKev on this. Don’t think they’d be willing to part with that.
    But they have 2 first rounders next year (LA again, and their own or right to swap with Milwaukee) which may enter discussions.

Again they may be unlikely to do this but

NOP: Poeltl
    SAS: Kira Lewis + Trey Murphy III + 2024 NOP/Milwaukee pick

Lots of overlap on positions if you’re buying NOP having a full roster come playoff time.
    Kira is redundant there, Trey may be considered untouchable but if Ingram and Herb Jones are healthy; is he going to play?
    No way a team that light on 3-point shooting and with a lot of salary committed going forward (in a small market, no less), trades their best shooter, who's got another 2.5 seasons remaining on an inexpensive contract.

They'd likely offer Lewis and a 1st, but would need to find a third team to take Valanciunas, possibly supplying the Spurs with another asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I understand players remaining salary are prorated on a per game basis. Doing the math Russ will only be owed about 15.5 million by the Feb 9 deadline. I'd trade J-Rich or McBuckets for Russ and a unprotected first. Factoring the outbound salary of Richardson or Dougie the it would really only cost the Spurs about 10-12 million to buy an unprotected Lakers first.

I'd also take the unprotected first from Boston. The Pels picks don't interest me unless they include a unprotected Laker's pick which seems unlikely.
    They have a last, very interesting unprotected pick from LA. It’s in 2024, with the option for NO to defer to 2025.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would rather keep Poeltl and pay him $20 a year than have that 28 Boston first.

Spurs will need a center, and Wemby will probably need a center next to him for the first few years anyway should the Spurs be so lucky.

Of all the 2028 picks in the league, Boston is one of the few teams to reasonably think should still be good based on their current young players.
    No. Tatum will be 30, and Brown will be 32. That’s 3 and 5 years past prime. There’s also nothing to say they’ll still be there in 5 1/2 years. It’s a good pick, but we already have the option to swap for it. We don’t need both picks. I’d rather have their 2029 FRP, unprotected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston is sort of in the middle of a championship run. A bit unbelievable given how just okay they are. God, this era sucks for good teams. Anyway, one thing that's hard for teams in their position is retaining good role players. You run out of cap space and flexibility. Horford won't last forever and their other pieces are just fine.

Marcus Smart is basically the heart of the team and he's 28 years old. Without him, Brown and Tatum seem to be playing in two different worlds. Again, how this team is a contender is beyond me. They barely have anyone of note beyond these guys.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston is sort of in the middle of a championship run. A bit unbelievable given how just okay they are. God, this era sucks for good teams. Anyway, one thing that's hard for teams in their position is retaining good role players. You run out of cap space and flexibility. Horford won't last forever and their other pieces are just fine.

Marcus Smart is basically the heart of the team and he's 28 years old. Without him, Brown and Tatum seem to be playing in two different worlds. Again, how this team is a contender is beyond me. They barely have anyone of note beyond these guys.
    Having so many teams that think they have a shot this year should be good for the Spurs, in that it could create a seller's market.

This is a great time to ac ulate future picks. I get that the Spurs are being picky, and this far out from the trade deadline they need to stick to their guns. But if a putative contender (Boston, Phoenix) comes calling at a bit less than the Spurs are looking for, I hope the Spurs pull the trigger. A bird in the hand as it were.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Tatum will be 30, and Brown will be 32. That’s 3 and 5 years past prime. There’s also nothing to say they’ll still be there in 5 1/2 years. It’s a good pick, but we already have the option to swap for it. We don’t need both picks. I’d rather have their 2029 FRP, unprotected.
    Get them to drop their 2028 #1 protection and include the unprotected 2029.... that should be acceptable to both teams really...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get them to drop their 2028 #1 protection and include the unprotected 2029.... that should be acceptable to both teams really...
    Chances of them getting the #1 pick are incredibly slim. If they give the Spurs the pick itself and their '29 pick unprotected then pull the trigger imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having so many teams that think they have a shot this year should be good for the Spurs, in that it could create a seller's market.

This is a great time to ac ulate future picks. I get that the Spurs are being picky, and this far out from the trade deadline they need to stick to their guns. But if a putative contender (Boston, Phoenix) comes calling at a bit less than the Spurs are looking for, I hope the Spurs pull the trigger. A bird in the hand as it were.
    They’re not locked into trading Jak. There have been discussions with his reps, and he’s open to signing a new deal, just not an extension. They won’t come off his price. There’s probably some wiggle room on the other guys, but as has been said, it appears to be a sellers market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chances of them getting the #1 pick are incredibly slim. If they give the Spurs the pick itself and their '29 pick unprotected then pull the trigger imo.
    They can't..it would violate the Stepien rule...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can’t change the 2028 from a swap to a pick AND trade the 2029 pick. They hold no other picks those years, so that would be consecutive FRP trades, a no no under the Stepien rule. Just leave 2028 as a swap, and trade the 2029 for Jak. Perfectly legal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't..it would violate the Stepien rule...
    Think Robz just wants that swap to be unprotected. They'd still have a guaranteed 2028 pick. Or maybe not? I'd prefer unprotecting the swap and getting the 2026 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you mean changing the '28 swap rights the Spurs currently hold for Boston's '28 pick (top 1 protected) PLUS Boston's unprotected '29 pick, that's not possible per the Stepien rule which forbids teams from trading 1st round picks in consecutive years. If you mean not changing '28 and adding an unprotected '29 pick, that's doable. But if they're willing to go there, might as well as them to drop the protection on the swap as well, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the record for how far a team starts the season under the minimum? If we move Jak and Doug, we might be able to contend for that next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the record for how far a team starts the season under the minimum? If we move Jak and Doug, we might be able to contend for that next year.
    If that's the position we find ourselves in, it likely means we couldn't turn the available cap space to get any meaningful assets, which is a failure in itself. Hope that's not the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Closest I could find to answering this question is this: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cba/

This season, the Spurs are at 78.2% of the cap. Going back to 2011, only two teams have been lower. The 2016 TWolves at 76.0% and the 2011 Kings at 63.1% (LOL)

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would never happen but I’d love to get Dyson Daniels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's the position we find ourselves in, it likely means we couldn't turn the available cap space to get any meaningful assets, which is a failure in itself. Hope that's not the case.
    Which is exactly the situation we find ourselves in now, barring moves before the deadline. Unfortunately, it is becoming familiar territory. Let's see what happens, but the cap space rental market does not appear to be as booming as perhaps we hoped. On the bright side, there are a few more weeks to go.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think Robz just wants that swap to be unprotected. They'd still have a guaranteed 2028 pick. Or maybe not? I'd prefer unprotecting the swap and getting the 2026 pick.
    Pretty sure that's not what he wanted... my suggestion was to just let the swap be unprotected and take the 2029 pick..

Thread Information