Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gallo wasn't claimed on waivers, but that's not what Ex was talking about. He was talking about set-off rights the Spurs had to reduce their guarantee if Gallo signed elsewhere. It's not the full amount, though. It's half of whatever the new salary is minus the min. So it would've been like $2 Million, not $6.4 Million. However, buyouts usually include the team waiving their set-off rights as part of the player agreeing to reduce the guaranteed amount. This wasn't a buyout, but Gallo did have to agree to amend the guarantee date. My guess is that that included the Spurs waiving those rights.

There's not a restriction to reacquiring a player you've waived unless you stretch them, and as far as I know, the Spurs did not do that. They should be able to trade for him on a new contract without issue.
    Similar to waiving Dieng and then resigning him...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gallo wasn't claimed on waivers, but that's not what Ex was talking about. He was talking about set-off rights the Spurs had to reduce their guarantee if Gallo signed elsewhere. It's not the full amount, though. It's half of whatever the new salary is minus the min. So it would've been like $2 Million, not $6.4 Million. However, buyouts usually include the team waiving their set-off rights as part of the player agreeing to reduce the guaranteed amount. This wasn't a buyout, but Gallo did have to agree to amend the guarantee date. My guess is that that included the Spurs waiving those rights.

There's not a restriction to reacquiring a player you've waived unless you stretch them, and as far as I know, the Spurs did not do that. They should be able to trade for him on a new contract without issue.
    Everything I’ve read indicated this was a negotiated buyout. Gallo extended the deadline and got paid for his cooperation. Regardless he is on our books for 10m or more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything I’ve read indicated this was a negotiated buyout. Gallo extended the deadline and got paid for his cooperation. Regardless he is on our books for 10m or more.
    A buyout in NBA terms typically means a player reducing their guaranteed money in order to sign elsewhere ala Dragic last year and Aldridge the year before. What Gallo did was similar but not technically the same thing, but as you said it's very possible that was negotiated into the amendment agreement, and he should be on the books for that full guarantee amount.

Ex's interpretation is closer to what happens when an NFL team releases a player with guaranteed base salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Helpful thanks -- so player part of the framework is probably Jakob for Gallo + Kornet. And then the teams are fighting over the draft capital piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A buyout in NBA terms typically means a player reducing their guaranteed money in order to sign elsewhere ala Dragic last year and Aldridge the year before. What Gallo did was similar but not technically the same thing, but as you said it's very possible that was negotiated into the amendment agreement, and he should be on the books for that full guarantee amount.

Ex's interpretation is closer to what happens when an NFL team releases a player with guaranteed base salary.
    Cheers. All sunk costs regardless.

The bigger issue is whether we can take him back in a deal for Jak and it sounds like we ca so it makes it much easier to facilitate a direct trade. Eating Galo for Jak is worth an unprotected far out FRP but I’d hope they could sweeten the pot with a few more SRPs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could lean heavily on TOR to make their offer a Top-2 or even Top-4 protected FRP for Jak, I think that's the ideally scenario. They obviously aren't doing unprotected, but if this is a weak class outside of the top two, they may be willing. Throw in the CHA or CHI FRP to sweeten it.

Can teams conditionally trade a pick? For example:

Jak and CHA FRP for TOR top-4 protected FRP this year, rolling to Top-3 the next two years if it does not convey this year.

*IF TOR pick does not convey this year, Spurs keep CHA pick?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could lean heavily on TOR to make their offer a Top-2 or even Top-4 protected FRP for Jak, I think that's the ideally scenario. They obviously aren't doing unprotected, but if this is a weak class outside of the top two, they may be willing. Throw in the CHA or CHI FRP to sweeten it.

Jak and CHA FRP for TOR top-4 protected FRP this year, rolling to Top-3 the next two years if it does not convey this year.

It's not a weak class outside the top 2....there are a couple people on this board that think that but its not the case nor do they media scouts think that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a weak class outside the top 2....there are a couple people on this board that think that but its not the case nor do they media scouts think that.
    It's not even a strong class outside the top 1. Scoot, dunno. The rest? Media is gonna hype every draft class they get to because they want the clicks. But have you actually watched these players? It's a heap of late lottery and 14-20 guys at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Opinions appear to be quite divided

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Opinions appear to be quite divided
    It's a sort of survivorship bias mixed with a gambler's fallacy. Somewhere along those lines. Spurs fans are desperate to have this awful year matter, so they've intoxicated themselves with a draft class they swear must be superior because their hearts demand it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To that end, however, we were told last year was not a great draft class - and it is looking pretty tasty at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To that end, however, we were told last year was not a great draft class - and it is looking pretty tasty at this point.
    No one said last year wasn't a great draft class. I don't know where you or anywhere else got that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheers. All sunk costs regardless.

The bigger issue is whether we can take him back in a deal for Jak and it sounds like we ca so it makes it much easier to facilitate a direct trade. Eating Galo for Jak is worth an unprotected far out FRP but I’d hope they could sweeten the pot with a few more SRPs
    I like the direction in your thinking with the 2nd rounders, but Boston sees the predicament we're in and isn't offering all that much of equal value for Poeltl. He could be a real difference maker for the C's, what we get back not so much. I think they know they have a bit of an advantage here and its a waiting game to see who blinks first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston might just send us Robert Williams III back with pick(s) attached. They don't really need him if they get Poeltl, since they go small with Horford at the 5 once he subs out. They don't need 2 centers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one said last year wasn't a great draft class. I don't know where you or anywhere else got that.
    There was lots of chatter about the 2022 being "top heavy" and weak, but like all other opinions, they were just opinions. Just like we have two very conflicting opinions in the last few posts of this thread. Evidence, you say no one said last year wasn't a great class but this year's is weak... but mo had previously pointed out that some sites had the top 6 in this class ahead of the entire class last year. I don't agree with these opinions, but they are out there.

The point being, ever year has some expectations pre-draft that usually end up being way off base. I don't care what year it is, if you are rebuilding, collect high picks and make the picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston might just send us Robert Williams III back with pick(s) attached. They don't really need him if they get Poeltl, since they go small with Horford at the 5 once he subs out. They don't need 2 centers
    Nah man. They WILL send us Luke Kornet though, since he’s useless with Jakob there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Toronto hasn’t even decided if they’re buyers or sellers yet. They’ll let us know, apparently. Very disappointing year for them when so many teams aren’t even trying to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto hasn’t even decided if they’re buyers or sellers yet. They’ll let us know, apparently. Very disappointing year for them when so many teams aren’t even trying to win.
    It really is and they need to be sellers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2022 Not looking great, outside of the top 10, which qualifies in my mind as top heavy. AJ Griffin made some noise, early, but haven’t heard much recently, and Walker Kessler, Mr. 7 and 7, media darling.
    Last edited by exstatic; 01-30-2023 at 03:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not even a strong class outside the top 1. Scoot, dunno. The rest? Media is gonna hype every draft class they get to because they want the clicks. But have you actually watched these players? It's a heap of late lottery and 14-20 guys at best.
    We all know that's your personal view, which is why I didn't mention you... it's not worth debating... you may end up being correct on that island...but you are on it with very few others...

I do respect your conviction though..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know that's your personal view, which is why I didn't mention you... it's not worth debating... you may end up being correct on that island...but you are on it with very few others...

I do respect your conviction though..
    It's not a conviction. I'm just amazed people will be so fired up about a blatantly mediocre class other than the top guy. Hope springs eternal! I hope you guys don't wind up bawling your eyes out.

But let's not keep lying about a few things, alright?

1. Media always, always talk a draft class up.
    2. Last year's was never sold as a down year.

Okay?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a conviction. I'm just amazed people will be so fired up about a blatantly mediocre class other than the top guy. Hope springs eternal! I hope you guys don't wind up bawling your eyes out.

But let's not keep lying about a few things, alright?

1. Media always, always talk a draft class up.
    2. Last year's was never sold as a down year.

Okay?
    Lol... I hope they gave you a nice tropical drink out there on that island...

And it is just a conviction...

Last years class was sold as a down year overall leading up to it(good at the very top)... on this site there were many (self included) that thought it was pretty good through the top 8-12 picks or so and then had a considerable drop off.. your revisionist history is amusing...
    Last edited by mo7888; 01-30-2023 at 03:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I distinctly remember there being a lot of chatter about how the 2022 draft was weak and didnt even have a clear cut #1. this isnt something made up after the fact, and multiple posters here remember it

that said, it doesnt matter because the media is usually wrong and the draft is a gamble regardless. every year we here about how X player is going to be a surefire pick and he ends up being a huge bust. or Y player has no business going in the first round and lo and behold he becomes the steal of the draft. i generally dont buy into any scouting opinions because they tend to be consisntelty wrong anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I distinctly remember there being a lot of chatter about how the 2022 draft was weak and didnt even have a clear cut #1. this isnt something made up after the fact, and multiple posters here remember it
    The mainstream, 'top' guys were confused about the draft. They failed to accept that Keegan Murray was actually good, the same as they overrated Jabari Smith, Jr. It's because they don't know what they're talking about, most of them. They failed to recognize that Mathurin was an exceptional talent. They were confused about Shaeden Sharpe.

But they weren't saying it was a weak draft. They were just confused about the top, because like most of the media they suck at evaluation. If they didn't know whether Holmgren or Banchero deserved the top spot, then they got all wonky.

The actual draft gurus? A different story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mainstream, 'top' guys were confused about the draft. They failed to accept that Keegan Murray was actually good, the same as they overrated Jabari Smith, Jr. It's because they don't know what they're talking about, most of them. They failed to recognize that Mathurin was an exceptional talent. They were confused about Shaeden Sharpe.

But they weren't saying it was a weak draft. They were just confused about the top, because like most of the media they suck at evaluation. If they didn't know whether Holmgren or Banchero deserved the top spot, then they got all wonky.

The actual draft gurus? A different story.
    Not necessarily disagreeing. curious who you consider "Draft gurus" though. But yeah the mainstream top guys are who a lot of people listen to, so the weak draft stuff because fairly common rhetoric. Just saying, i like some others here definitely remember the "this a weak draft" talk last season

Thread Information