Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-landing-spots

Poeltl Can Be Pried from Spurs

3 OF 5

1. Steph Chambers/Getty Images
      The San Antonio Spurs like Jakob Poeltl and would be happy to extend him, but existing rules limit him to $50.5 million over four additional seasons. Several NBA sources peg his asking price in the $17 million to $20 million range in the first year alone as an unrestricted free agent.
      While the Spurs can pay that, the team will have to wait until July to do so. And that may be beyond their price range, which could inspire the team to get a deal done before the trade deadline.
      The asking price is believed to be a first-round pick and a good young player. Teams linked to Poeltl include the Boston Celtics, Raptors, Lakers, Clippers and Warriors. The Celtics may be a reach, given their tax position and commitment to Al Horford and Robert Williams III.
      With the Lakers getting solid minutes from Thomas Bryant, they may be less inclined to chase a big man. The Clippers have Brandon Boston Jr. and Amir Coffey, prospects in demand that could appeal to a rebuilding team like the Spurs. The Warriors don't appear ready to give up on James Wiseman, Jonathan Kuminga or Moses Moody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mcdermott was never a 4 year deal

mcdermott is the type of guy who will have trade value as an expiring deal, but also might not have been willing to settle for a 1 year deal at his age. given the state of the spurs, they probably did have to overpay to land players.
    It’s kind of funny how everyone hated the deal like me but now defend it and seem totally ok with it. Doesn’t make sense but I digress

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see things a little bit in reverse, and I think this is Chinook's point as well. The current Spurs (not the Mills/LMA/Rudy/Gasol Spurs) HAVE to overpay, because a vet who provides mentorship value requires that premium in order to be here. And currently, there is no opportunity cost to overpaying them. Having Doug on his deal doesn't prevent us from having any other player, so in the now, overpaying is kind of irrelevant.

On the other hand (to the second bolded portion), when you are truly competing is when you can' afford to overpay for good players, because it comes at an opportunity cost. Overpaying your role playing vet could mean you can no longer keep another role playing vet, so you have to be more diligent in ensuring you are getting good value out of your roster construction.

I definitely see your point about wanting to trade all these vets before they walk for nothing, but that really isn't practical. Sometimes you're just going to lose guys to Free Agency, and that's okay. Of late, it seems like the Spurs have done a better job of extracting some value for those players who have it on the way out as opposed to letting them die on the vine until they reach a buy-out or just vanish as Free Agents. Ideally, we'd trade everyone before they hit FA or do a S&T for them, but that just isn't that realistic.
    They do not have to over pay for guys like Doug. They do it because they can and they value CREAM too much. It’s why everyone supposedly hated the deal like me right? There is opportunity cost. We may not agree to what degree but having bad contracts you may not be able to trade is a downside imo. It’s less money that can be absorbed in a deal. There’s quite a few unnecessary risks imo which y’all don’t agree with.

I do agree it’s not a “big deal” and I know you can’t trade everyone. But spurs went out and got Doug etc so they need to be focused on those types of deals for trades and more than just CREAM. It’s so much more critical now to maximize every drop of value imo because we are in a rebuild and it’s a perilous journey. Small markets need every chance we can get and the draft is the biggest part. Need picks and as much as we can.

But agree - I am very happy with how FO has done last year or two. Much more active in trades and made much more decisive moves. I’m just making a message board point/general thoughts on the details I want to see to give me full confidence in this FO adapting for the new future.

I had confidence shaking last 5 years but I’m much more optimistic since they traded Derozan and moves since then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brings up teams that are interested in Poeltl, supposedly, then shoots each one down. Mentions the Clippers, who already have Zubacs. Who writes this ?

Also... Amir Coffey is certainly not in 'demand'; he's awful. And Brandon Boston was terrible in college yet got drafted anyhow. He was bad, real bad, last year and has managed to regress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s kind of funny how everyone hated the deal like me but now defend it and seem totally ok with it. Doesn’t make sense but I digress
    No, i didn’t like it. Still don’t. But he will have trade value next year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fairly sure fans around the NBA laugh equally when they hear spurs want 2 FRPs for Poetl.
    It doesn't matter, we also always laughed at other teams' trade demand. It is all about negotiation, if you starts low you can only get lower return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brings up teams that are interested in Poeltl, supposedly, then shoots each one down. Mentions the Clippers, who already have Zubacs. Who writes this ?

Also... Amir Coffey is certainly not in 'demand'; he's awful. And Brandon Boston was terrible in college yet got drafted anyhow. He was bad, real bad, last year and has managed to regress.
    It's speculation, and bad one at that. A lot of posters here could have written a better piece than that.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at Amir Coffey and Brandon Boston ‘in demand’. Both those guys are 2nd round talents. They are terrible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end do we really think the spurs pass on Wiseman and a lightly protected FRP for Jakob? I get all the Wiseman stuff, but where’s the superior offer coming from?

The only thing that probably nets more is a 3 way where the Spurs are simultaneously sending out Jak and leveraging their dumping ground cap space.

Just trying to be realistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end do we really think the spurs pass on Wiseman and a lightly protected FRP for Jakob? I get all the Wiseman stuff, but where’s the superior offer coming from?

The only thing that probably nets more is a 3 way where the Spurs are simultaneously sending out Jak and leveraging their dumping ground cap space.

Just trying to be realistic
    It’s not about getting a deal done, it’s about getting the right deal done, or rolling into the summer with him.

Everything I’ve heard is that the Spurs want no part of Wiseman or Kuminga. Make of that what you will.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This conversation is all over the place so I’m just gonna chime in randomly with a random thought.

Jones: it makes sense to resign him. It’ll still be mostly affordable. He’s dependable and ok for a tanking team. And if someone wants to become the lead ball handler than they have to at least play better than him, so it sets up some compe ion.

Yak: just look at it from thousand yards away, really makes no sense to resign him. We suck with him, we can suck without him, and his skill set is much more suited for a quality team who needs a glue guy, not for where we are at right now. So to me, it’s obvious to trade him or let him walk.

DJ: I think the issues are more than just money. I think the issue with him, at least from my interpretation of the front office, at least my best guess, is they didn’t totally trust his character, and also his style of play is dominating, so if you resign him, you’re expecting him to be your best player, and I at least appreciate the Spurs wanting to hold out for someone better than that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rereading the piece again, and think it would be great if NOLA got engaged. They all those picks, though, some are bull /fake FRPs.

Hayes<>Jakob swap with them sending up two FRP would be nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not about getting a deal done, it’s about getting the right deal done, or rolling into the summer with him.

Everything I’ve heard is that the Spurs want no part of Wiseman or Kuminga. Make of that what you will.
    I agree that we shouldn't dump Poeltl at any price. But the reports that we wouldn't take back Kuminga in a package for him don't make much sense to me. Unless there's some really hardcore stuff about him pesonally (like he's on hard drugs, or really toxic personality, or whatever), he's a 20 y.o. forward who's a freak athlete, a good defender, and not a horrible shooter (33% 3PT and 68% FT for his career). I get that he's underwhelmed so far, but that's exactly the kind of player we could make the most profit from, even if he wasn't part of our long term plans. At worst he'd get you a first back down the road, and potentially much more, besides being on a 2nd year of a rookie scale contract, meaning you have control over him for a while before you have to make a decision on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that we shouldn't dump Poeltl at any price. But the reports that we wouldn't take back Kuminga in a package for him don't make much sense to me. Unless there's some really hardcore stuff about him pesonally (like he's on hard drugs, or really toxic personality, or whatever), he's a 20 y.o. forward who's a freak athlete, a good defender, and not a horrible shooter (33% 3PT and 68% FT for his career). I get that he's underwhelmed so far, but that's exactly the kind of player we could make the most profit from, even if he wasn't part of our long term plans. At worst he'd get you a first back down the road, and potentially much more, besides being on a 2nd year of a rookie scale contract, meaning you have control over him for a while before you have to make a decision on him.
    I kinda agree with this.... if Kuminga and a very lightly protected or unprotected 1st (depending on the year) are on the table then that's an offer we should seriously consider..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end do we really think the spurs pass on Wiseman and a lightly protected FRP for Jakob?
    Yes, we pass. I don't think any team in the league would trade for Wiseman.

It's not simply that he's unplayable, he cannot stay healthy even if he was. But the real thing is that he stands to make $12 million next season and that's before the next contract kicks in. The salary track he's on as a top pick is absurd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, we pass. I don't think any team in the league would trade for Wiseman.

It's not simply that he's unplayable, he cannot stay healthy even if he was. But the real thing is that he stands to make $12 million next season and that's before the next contract kicks in. The salary track he's on as a top pick is absurd.
    That's kinda what interests me -- there is no way he commands anywhere near a max extension. Let him go fetch an offer (it'll be low), and get the right to match it if its reasonable. I dont think 12M for one year is that big a deal, thats what Dougie makes and less than what Jakob will command.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, though i dont think we ALSO get a pick on top of it for Jak's expiring deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re hoping the Spurs get fantastically lucky and hit the jackpot with Wemby, so also, how would Wiseman pair with Wemby? For many reasons, I can’t see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re hoping the Spurs get fantastically lucky and hit the jackpot with Wemby, so also, how would Wiseman pair with Wemby? For many reasons, I can’t see it.
    Im not getting my hopes up nor should anyone else. At bests its just at 14% shot at Wemby. It will be a good prblem to have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the Pelicans would be willing to give up for Poeltl? Lots of talent and assets on that roster…
    Hayes and two FRPs. Some of those late Milwaukee FRPs may be decent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's kinda what interests me -- there is no way he commands anywhere near a max extension. Let him go fetch an offer (it'll be low), and get the right to match it if its reasonable. I dont think 12M for one year is that big a deal, thats what Dougie makes and less than what Jakob will command.
    But... he can't even get on the court when healthy right now. Why pay for a player the Warriors have tried and tried and tried to get to play but is so bad they can't?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I understand, it isn’t Kuminga’s on court presence, mediocre as that may be. Chances are that Pop and Kerr probably talk regularly.

The Warriors are rapidly aging out of this current core, and if they don’t want him, that speaks volumes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's astonishing the Warriors completely blew their lottery picks. They took Wiseman, Kuminga, and Moody.

Wiseman... This might be the worst draft of all time, and I don't see LaMello (a glorified playground baller) as a GSW fit. Best move was trading out. Seriously, that draft suuuucked.
    Kuminga... I still like him, but no good basketball instruction (Ignite doesn't cut it) and an apparent bad at ude. Should have taken Franz Wagner.
    Moody... Wasn't really that good in college, took him anyway. He's just a rookie, though. Could have had Sengun or Trey Murphy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's astonishing the Warriors completely blew their lottery picks. They took Wiseman, Kuminga, and Moody.

Wiseman... This might be the worst draft of all time, and I don't see LaMello (a glorified playground baller) as a GSW fit. Best move was trading out. Seriously, that draft suuuucked.
    Kuminga... I still like him, but no good basketball instruction (Ignite doesn't cut it) and an apparent bad at ude. Should have taken Franz Wagner.
    Moody... Wasn't really that good in college, took him anyway. He's just a rookie, though. Could have had Sengun or Trey Murphy.
    They got Jordan Poole at 30, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They got Jordan Poole at 30, though.
    28, he went one spot ahead of Keldon. But still, they blew it with Wiseman over Lamelo/Haliburton/Vassell/Desmond Bane(Lamelo was a bad fit culture wise, though), Kuminga over Wagner, and Moody over Tre Murphy or Sengun. Overall their drafting as of late has been underwhelming, there's no way around it.

Thread Information