Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10857474[/URL]]The thing that would unlock movement with Dallas is whether we’d be willing to take Bert back. Each year that passed the less ty that deal looks
    Spurs know Bert and know he won’t be a problem in the locker room. I have no issue taking back that bad contract. The rebuild is going to be at least another couple years and he’ll be long gone by then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, with the cap rising and Spurs having a ton of space, I'd take Bertans for those 2027 and 2029 picks with no protection.

Luka's deal ends in 2027 and Cuban has proven to be incompetent when it comes to building around his stars time and time again.
    Luka doesn't seem like he has that Dirk loyalty in him and if they don't improve within the next few seasons, he's surely gone. And their roster situation without him is horrible. Those pick could be gold.

Spurs already somewhat gambled with Hawks being incompetent in DJ trade and it just might work out considering the state of things in Atlanta.
    Those are the picks they’re ABLE to trade, not ones they will necessarily part with for Jak. The point of naming the years was that they were the soonest picks they can trade r/n.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, with the cap rising and Spurs having a ton of space, I'd take Bertans for those 2027 and 2029 picks with no protection.

Luka's deal ends in 2027 and Cuban has proven to be incompetent when it comes to building around his stars time and time again.
    Luka doesn't seem like he has that Dirk loyalty in him and if they don't improve within the next few seasons, he's surely gone. And their roster situation without him is horrible. Those pick could be gold.

Spurs already somewhat gambled with Hawks being incompetent in DJ trade and it just might work out considering the state of things in Atlanta.
    No way spurs get Dallas 27 and 29 FRPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic is going to set franchise records in Dallas. That’s a guarantee if he stays. Championships aren’t guaranteed if he leaves. I don’t think he leaves because of those reasons.
    I honestly don't think that would factor into his decision at all. A chip is worth one million franchise records, ask Dirk. And if he believes he has more chance to win somewhere else, he'll leave.

And it's not just about chips but simply,winning. Dude has been a monster for 2 years and Dallas is still a 50-50 team, one or two games away for not even making the play in. If he sees Cuban can't build a contender around him, he's out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are the picks they’re ABLE to trade, not ones they will necessarily part with for Jak. The point of naming the years was that they were the soonest picks they can trade r/n.
    I know that those are the picks that they are able to trade and that they're not dumb enough to trade them for someone like Jakob. But if there's a chance...

I honestly don't think that would factor into his decision at all. A chip is worth one million franchise records, ask Dirk. And if he believes he has more chance to win somewhere else, he'll leave.

And it's not just about chips but simply,winning. Dude has been a monster for 2 years and Dallas is still a 50-50 team, one or two games away for not even making the play in. If he sees Cuban can't build a contender around him, he's out.
    He's already getting extremely frustrated in a lot of games where he has to do it all by himself, he won't spend his entire career being a second round exit at best.
    Someone will definitely get those picks because Mavs front office will have to make a big trade this or the next summer to keep him happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think Jak makes a difference for Dallas. They need scoring, like Lavine or DeRozan if CHI decides to break things up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could definitely use Poeltl, but obviously can't afford to prioritize him over a second star with their limited trade assets.

And Doncic is about as Americanized as they get. He will absolutely be applying pressure to the front office in short order and if they can't deliver, expect him to eventually force his way to a glamor market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way spurs get Dallas 27 and 29 FRPs.
    I just don't see us trading with a division rival period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams thinks a move to the Eastern Conference is imminent -

https://theathletic.com/4136200/2023...-suns-crowder/

San Antonio Spurs

Several teams are increasing their pursuit of Spurs center Jakob Poeltl, and it appears a move to the Eastern Conference could be possible ahead of the deadline. The Raptors and Celtics are among the teams expressing interest in Poeltl, sources say. The 27-year-old will be arguably the top unrestricted free agent big man in July.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams thinks a move to the Eastern Conference is imminent -

https://theathletic.com/4136200/2023...-suns-crowder/
    I think when the rubber hits the road, it will be Boston. If you read the article, it states that Toronto isn’t even sure if they will be buyers or sellers at the deadline.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think when the rubber hits the road, it will be Boston. If you read the article, it states that Toronto isn’t even sure if they will be buyers or sellers at the deadline.
    Most likely Boston as they are all in to get a le this year. They might still feel they are a little short on depth to get there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would the potential deal with BOS look like?

Btw I'm kinda skeptical about BOS as they look pretty set in the frontcourt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like BOS as a fit, but Im still confused whether we can receive Gallo's salary as filler since we waived him earlier this year. I dont see how it works otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The writing is on the wall. ..the spurs have a standing offer for purt that is good but not great and have kept things open to get better offers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The writing is on the wall. ..the spurs have a standing offer for purt that is good but not great and have kept things open to get better offers.
    I think that's right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto is in no-man's land. They're not good and it's not really apparent why, especially in a mediocre year, they can't be a playoff team. Do they stop resisting and get a lottery pick in a bad draft year? Or do they swing for another player?

For Boston, there's something missing to this team and I'm not sure exactly what it is. I thought Brogdan would be more punchy off the bench maybe? White a better connector for their samey, iso-happy offense? They're a bad team down the clutch and that could hurt them again. Poeltl doesn't immediately help those things, but he is a passing hub from the high post and good on the roll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like BOS as a fit, but Im still confused whether we can receive Gallo's salary as filler since we waived him earlier this year. I dont see how it works otherwise.
    Not sure we can get a waived player back, but the real question is other than for salary balance, why on earth would we want Gallo back ? To waive him again ? To throw salary money away again ? The spurs have to be smarter than that. There has to be a deal out there that doesn't screw us over again by taking on lots of salary and then waiving the player.

Toronto can probably make a deal, the Knicks have a number of picks. Even though Poeltl would fit in Boston, it doesn't seem like a Boston deal would be all that great for us asset wise or financially. Thanks Boston but no thanks. Its probably smarter just to keep Poeltl and pay him more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure we can get a waived player back, but the real question is other than for salary balance, why on earth would we want Gallo back ? To waive him again ? To throw salary money away again ? The spurs have to be smarter than that. There has to be a deal out there that doesn't screw us over again by taking on lots of salary and then waiving the player.

Toronto can probably make a deal, the Knicks have a number of picks. Even though Poeltl would fit in Boston, it doesn't seem like a Boston deal would be all that great for us asset wise or financially. Thanks Boston but no thanks. Its probably smarter just to keep Poeltl and pay him more.
    Gallo's money (plus another small salary) is one of the few ways BOS can match Jakob's 9M salary. Gallo is just ballast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If a waived player signs with someone else, you’re relieved of paying him that amount of his guaranteed salary. We waived his guaranteed portion of the 2022-2023 salary of $10.4M, and he signed for $6.4M with Boston, leaving us on the hook for $4M.

I don’t believe we can take gallinari back, but if you could find a 3rd team who has a dead/useless contract, Boston could ship him there with another contract, and we could take whatever dead contract the 3rd team has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a waived player signs with someone else, you’re relieved of paying him that amount of his guaranteed salary. We waived his guaranteed portion of the 2022-2023 salary of $10.4M, and he signed for $6.4M with Boston, leaving us on the hook for $4M.

I don’t believe we can take gallinari back, but if you could find a 3rd team who has a dead/useless contract, Boston could ship him there with another contract, and we could take whatever dead contract the 3rd team has.

This is incorrect. Gali cleared waivers therefore we are on the hook for the full agreed upon buyout which I think was 13mm.

Would be different if he was signed during that 48 hour waiver period like when we signed Roby and took him off of OKC’s books entirely.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-30-2023 at 11:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    28, he went one spot ahead of Keldon. But still, they blew it with Wiseman over Lamelo/Haliburton/Vassell/Desmond Bane(Lamelo was a bad fit culture wise, though), Kuminga over Wagner, and Moody over Tre Murphy or Sengun. Overall their drafting as of late has been underwhelming, there's no way around it.
    There was an interesting piece recently on The Athletic site talking about whether or not Bob Myers will be retained as the GM after this season-- it talks about how the owner Joe Lacob and his son have been more involved (some might say more intrusive) in draft decisions. None of the draft debates/decisions have gone public as far as I know, but it would be interesting to know if Myers was actually advocating for different players and got overruled. Clearly, if Golden State had Haliburton and Franz Wagner today, their current problems wouldn't exist...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that those are the picks that they are able to trade and that they're not dumb enough to trade them for someone like Jakob. But if there's a chance...

He's already getting extremely frustrated in a lot of games where he has to do it all by himself, he won't spend his entire career being a second round exit at best.
    Someone will definitely get those picks because Mavs front office will have to make a big trade this or the next summer to keep him happy.
    Maybe, but precisely then. Dallas won't waste those two picks for Jak and getting rid of a bad contract or whatever. they need another star scorer, not a role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New shams article says increasing pursuit for Poeltl and that the Spurs are interested in Jalen McDaniels in free agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was an interesting piece recently on The Athletic site talking about whether or not Bob Myers will be retained as the GM after this season-- it talks about how the owner Joe Lacob and his son have been more involved (some might say more intrusive) in draft decisions. None of the draft debates/decisions have gone public as far as I know, but it would be interesting to know if Myers was actually advocating for different players and got overruled. Clearly, if Golden State had Haliburton and Franz Wagner today, their current problems wouldn't exist...
    Ah a rich guy believing he's a genius because of what everyone around him did. What a new story! Add a bit of nepotism, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is incorrect. Gali cleared waivers therefore we are on the hook for the full agreed upon buyout which I think was 13mm.

Would be different if he was signed during that 48 hour waiver period like when we signed Roby and took him off of OKC’s books entirely.
    Gallo wasn't claimed on waivers, but that's not what Ex was talking about. He was talking about set-off rights the Spurs had to reduce their guarantee if Gallo signed elsewhere. It's not the full amount, though. It's half of whatever the new salary is minus the min. So it would've been like $2 Million, not $6.4 Million. However, buyouts usually include the team waiving their set-off rights as part of the player agreeing to reduce the guaranteed amount. This wasn't a buyout, but Gallo did have to agree to amend the guarantee date. My guess is that that included the Spurs waiving those rights.

There's not a restriction to reacquiring a player you've waived unless you stretch them, and as far as I know, the Spurs did not do that. They should be able to trade for him on a new contract without issue.

Thread Information