Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Harris and DFS as playing the same position. I think Harris is a bit more important now because Dinwiddie isn't as dynamic as Irving. In reality, the Nets could likely stand to thin out the Mills/Harris/Dinwiddie/Curry/Thomas rotation. DFS/Simmons/O'Neal isn't exactly an efficient use of roster spots as well. I don't necessarily not think the Spurs can help them out, but I don't think a trade directly between those teams is ideal. If the Nets can figure out how to turn Simmons' contract and the meager assets they have into another piece, then the Spurs could be the team that absorbs the extra salary. They'd have to value Ben more highly that most fans do now, which I don't know that they do.

The Nets have three tradeable picks right: Philly's 2027 protected first and two of their 2028 and 2029 firsts and the 2029 Dallas first. That and Cam Thomas is a fair bit of value, assuming they can get out of Simmons cheaply. I don't know if any team is selling a player good enough to make that worth it. Next summer, the Nets would be able to add a fourth pick to their offer for someone like Lillard. They may not want to move Simmons now regardless to preserve that salary slot for a later trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like it for Dallas, even though I think Kyrie will head to Los Angeles this summer. Those other two players werent part of the solution going forward and they were eating space.
    If he wants to sign for 25mm. He won’t be able to get max money from LA, not even in S&T. Lakers won’t have the assets to make it work.

Having Russ’ contract role off doesn’t leave the Lakers in great shape next free agency.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They gave up an unprotected 2029 pick. It's a golden ticket, by then Luka might be elsewhere or north of 350lbs.
    Yeah about the only better pick Brooklyn could have gotten than that would be an unprotected 2027 Mavs pick. I understand taking that desperation swing to keep Luka happy if Dallas thinks Irving will sign an extension but WTF when they don't even know that he's interested in signing a FA deal with them this summer. This is Cuban playing Russian Roulette.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he wants to sign for 25mm. He won’t be able to get max money from LA, not even in S&T. Lakers won’t have the assets to make it work.

Having Russ’ contract role off doesn’t leave the Lakers in great shape next free agency.
    Only guys LA has under contract aside from James and Davis are two small money scrubs in Damian Jones and Max Christie for a grand total of $4.3 million between them. That won't leave them the money to offer Irving a 35% max deal, but it'll get them very close to being able to offer a 30% max deal on a $134 million cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers will have nearly $40 million in capspace in the summer so they won't give up anything useful in sign and trade. Don't know WTF Dallas was thinking here.
    It’s more like 25ish. Could have sworn I read somewhere you need to have min cap holds for a 12 man roster so if they renounce everyone but AD/LBJ I believe there are still min cap holds for 10 slots at 1.8mm or so…but I could be wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK well the 1st round pick is a little risky, but Dallas has kept their stars once they get them. Euros don't tend to ask for trades or dump the team that shows loyalty like the American players do, but Luka isn't your typical Euro player. So it will be interesting to see, but Cuban finds way to pay guys without "paying" guys. That said, Dallas has been awful at signing free agents. I don't know why because the Cowboys do just fine. But the best NBA free agency guys don't go to Dallas. The only way to surround Luka with talent is going to be through trades and Dallas rolled the dice on this one.

But if Kyrie can't get motivated to play with Durant...
    I don't see Doncic staying if he's in the same hopeless situation LeBron was in his first go-around in Cleveland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s more like 25ish. Could have sworn I read somewhere you need to have min cap holds for a 12 man roster so if they renounce everyone but AD/LBJ I believe there are still min cap holds for 10 slots at 1.8mm or so…but I could be wrong
    Yeah - roster charges are about $1 mil for this season, probably a little more for next, so the Lakers would have about 8 or 9 of those on their cap before they could use any of their cap space. They'll also have a first round pick, which also comes with its own cap hold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s more 25ish. If they renounce everyone but AD/LBJ I beleive there are still min cap holds for slots at 1.8mm or so…
    I was underestimating cap holds, you were overestimating them. They're $1 million this year, and project to $1.1 million the next. So at seven empty roster spots under 11 at $1.1 million per hold on a $134 million cap the Lakers would be looking at about $34.7 million of capspace, which would allow them to make Irving an offer of 4 years, $147 million. So that does give Dallas some more breathing room to sign him than I was anticipating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers cheaped out again. They basically decided to throw the season in exchange for the possibility of signing kyrie. They’re on a pretty short timer so throwing a season is a massive risk for them with Lebron still at this level
    Last edited by spurraider21; 02-05-2023 at 04:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was underestimating cap holds, you were overestimating them. They're $1 million this year, and project to $1.1 million the next. So at seven empty roster spots under 11 at $1.1 million per hold on a $134 million cap the Lakers would be looking at about $34.7 million of capspace, which would allow them to make Irving an offer of 4 years, $147 million. So that does give Dallas some more breathing room to sign him than I was anticipating.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Who knows where Kyrie’s head will be at by then. Comforting knowing that LBJ’s last few years he is going to have a uva time getting a full team around him and it is his own fault.

Lakers really should be shooting to dump Russ for 2-3 contracts that can later be flipped so they can stay well over the cap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes sense. Dinwiddie was as close as the Nets were getting to a star and this might be enough to keep Durant invested through the remainder of the season while arming them with more assets to peddle for a second star (Beal?) in the off season.

Finney-Smith's role will be difficult to replace for the Mavericks, but it was a swing they had to take and has the potential to propel them into championship contention.

People never learn: The number one currency in star trades, is depending on the situation, having a current or projected if not star, at least pseudo one that's out of conference.

The Clippers, Lakers, Heat and Suns (Paul has too much equity built up to think they were going to ignore his wishes and send him far away from his family) didn't have that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can renounce him.
    Sure but most signs point to them trading with intent to keep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers cheaper out again. They basically decided to throw the season in exchange for the possibility of signing kyrie. They’re on a pretty short timer so throwing a season is a massive risk for them with Lebron still at this level
    ing half measure. They already mortgaged their future to win now so yeah I don't get throwing away this year when there's a great chance we never see another season anywhere close to this out of LeBron. Especially with Curry hurt again, the path to a le is right there for them. Plus they need to renounce Hachimura and Walker if they want to sign Irving next summer while they had Bird rights to keep Hachimura and Early Bird to keep Walker, Beverley, Schroeder, Reeves, etc. So they could have had Irving this year and not have to gut their depth for next season. Stupid nonaction by the Lakers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes sense. Dinwiddie was as close as the Nets were getting to a star and this might be enough to keep Durant invested through the remainder of the season while arming them with more assets to peddle for a second star (Beal?) in the off season.

Finney-Smith's role will be difficult to replace for the Mavericks, but it was a swing they had to take and has the potential to propel them into championship contention.

People never learn: The number one currency in star trades, is depending on the situation, having a current or projected if not star, at least pseudo one that's out of conference.

The Clippers, Lakers, Heat and Suns (Paul has too much equity built up to think they were going to ignore his wishes and send him far away from his family) didn't have that.
    An injured, multi-year contract Durant does not have a lot of leverage to ask for a trade right now. He might. But Brooklyn isn't going to agree to anything that doesn't blow them away. And it will be hard to find a team that can pay more than the Gobert ransom. To be honest, Dimwiddie isn't better than Kyrie, but he plays and you can count on him playing if healthy. I would think that's better than Kyrie at this point. Who would I want to re-sign knowing what we know about Kyrie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An injured, multi-year contract Durant does not have a lot of leverage to ask for a trade right now. He might. But Brooklyn isn't going to agree to anything that doesn't blow them away. And it will be hard to find a team that can pay more than the Gobert ransom. To be honest, Dimwiddie isn't better than Kyrie, but he plays and you can count on him playing if healthy. I would think that's better than Kyrie at this point. Who would I want to re-sign knowing what we know about Kyrie.
    Who knows obviously, but I'd lean towards he won't right now either even though their upside is no longer so much as puncher's chance at a championship.

But come the off season, if they can't land a second star (Beal's onerous contract, durability issues and no trade clause probably make him the best bet) it likely becomes inevitable.

Trail Blazers check the boxes. Desperate, out of conference and can offer a young, pseudo star in Simons with plenty of team control as well as possibly Grant in a sign and trade to headline the package for a Nets team likely to prioritize remaining "compe ive" considering they don't control much of their draft going forward (Harden trade).

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple individuals I have talked to tell me the Nets are warning teams that they will move quickly to trade Irving and won’t necessarily wait until Thursday’s trade deadline to strike a deal.

Spot on

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just wondering if mr. Body still thinks the spurs aren't trading DJM.
    Shh, you might hurt his ego.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are the Spurs less busy now? jk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie to Dallas.

None of y'alls scenarios made sense.
    LOLLakers. LOLLeBron. This is how he ends, and I love it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple individuals I have talked to tell me the Nets are warning teams that they will move quickly to trade Irving and won’t necessarily wait until Thursday’s trade deadline to strike a deal.

Spot on
    I'll bet it was because they were worried he would act crazy and tank his trade value or that he would say he would only play for the Lakers or something like that.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i love kyrie going to dallas.

i think it will work really well at first. and then not. kyrie will definitely get jealous of luka's attention.

i love this trade unless the mavs make another move that makes them a serious contender. kyrie doesn't deserve to jump ship and be on a great team all of a sudden.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a really important point given they will not have significant cap space if Westbrook walks AND they plan on retaining rights on players like Rui. He’s not your typical expensive guy that you can bring back assets for in a sign and trade because he’s probably a MLE at best (may be and should be much less). So they can’t replace that salary slot. Better to bring back guys on smaller contracts that they can move next year. Maybe break Russ into three guys making $12 million each that can be in rotation.

The smarter move would be to punt the season and get rid of everyone outside of Lebron and Davis (can keep Damion Jones’ cheap contract) and operate with $45 million or so of cap space. They could craft a decent rotation that doesn’t consist of retreads with that kind of money plus vet min guys.

Only need to move Russ if GM Lebron insists on bringing back assets for this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even in an optimal (which is not very optimal) situation for the Lakers moving forward are they going to gather ring-chasers at the mins for mummy-meat Lebron at this point next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing half measure. They already mortgaged their future to win now so yeah I don't get throwing away this year when there's a great chance we never see another season anywhere close to this out of LeBron. Especially with Curry hurt again, the path to a le is right there for them. Plus they need to renounce Hachimura and Walker if they want to sign Irving next summer while they had Bird rights to keep Hachimura and Early Bird to keep Walker, Beverley, Schroeder, Reeves, etc. So they could have had Irving this year and not have to gut their depth for next season. Stupid nonaction by the Lakers.
    Lakers DID in fact offer both picks per Shams and Stein and BKY didnt want to send him to LA because they wanted win now players + picks and LA didnt have that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers DID in fact offer both picks per Shams and Stein and BKY didnt want to send him to LA because they wanted win now players + picks and LA didnt have that.
    With what kind of protection though? If they were lottery protected or top 10 protected of course Brooklyn isn't taking their trash.

Thread Information