Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly the Suns offered Chris Paul and Crowder, kinda surprised if that’s true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With what kind of protection though? If they were lottery protected or top 10 protected of course Brooklyn isn't taking their trash.
    None it appears:

“ The Lakers offered the Nets a package of Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Irving in the last two days, sources with knowledge of the discussions said — to which the Nets informed the Lakers that in order to make an offer to get in the Irving sweepstakes they would require all of their young players such as Austin Reaves and Max Christie and pick swaps in addition to Westbrook and the two first-round picks.

The Nets ultimately moved on from a possible Lakers framework to choose Dallas.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reported that BKY owner just didnt want to send Kyrie to LA lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the Lakers actually did that or are just leaking that to Shams so Lebron won’t be upset

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good, the Lakers' 2027 and 2029 picks aren't completely off the table. Doesn't mean they will give those up just to turn Westbrook into semi-useful players, but at least they aren't considering those picks to be absolutely untouchable.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None it appears:

“ The Lakers offered the Nets a package of Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Irving in the last two days, sources with knowledge of the discussions said — to which the Nets informed the Lakers that in order to make an offer to get in the Irving sweepstakes they would require all of their young players such as Austin Reaves and Max Christie and pick swaps in addition to Westbrook and the two first-round picks.

The Nets ultimately moved on from a possible Lakers framework to choose Dallas.”
    Shams isn't saying anything about protection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a really important point given they will not have significant cap space if Westbrook walks AND they plan on retaining rights on players like Rui. He’s not your typical expensive guy that you can bring back assets for in a sign and trade because he’s probably a MLE at best (may be and should be much less). So they can’t replace that salary slot. Better to bring back guys on smaller contracts that they can move next year. Maybe break Russ into three guys making $12 million each that can be in rotation.

The smarter move would be to punt the season and get rid of everyone outside of Lebron and Davis (can keep Damion Jones’ cheap contract) and operate with $45 million or so of cap space. They could craft a decent rotation that doesn’t consist of retreads with that kind of money plus vet min guys.

Only need to move Russ if GM Lebron insists on bringing back assets for this year.
    They would get a trade exception that is good for one year just for trading him into cap space.

They can’t generate $45 M in cap room. You’re forgetting the 10 empty slot charges of 1.8M each. You have to subtract that from the 45M, making it $27M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams isn't saying anything about protection.
    That’s the point - normally if they are protected they mention “they offered protected picks”. IMO if you don’t say that it should be implied it’s unprotected. Especially since they would have been told they had an unprotected pick offer from Dallas you have to beat…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would get a trade exception that is good for one year just for trading him into cap space.

They can’t generate $45 M in cap room. You’re forgetting the 10 empty slot charges of 1.8M each. You have to subtract that from the 45M, making it $27M.
    The 2023-24 cap hold is $1.1 million for every empty roster spot under 11, and the Lakers would have 7 of those if they renounce everyone not under contract. Makes their capspace about $34.7 million next year under a $134 million cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the point - normally if they are protected they mention “they offered protected picks”. IMO if you don’t say that it should be implied it’s unprotected. Especially since they would have been told they had an unprotected pick offer from Dallas you have to beat…
    Disagree, all the media talked about how the Spurs got three first round picks for Murray despite the fact the Charlotte one is so heavily protected it has a pretty good chance of never conveying and being converted into two seconds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree, all the media talked about how the Spurs got three first round picks for Murray despite the fact the Charlotte one is so heavily protected it has a pretty good chance of never conveying and being converted into two seconds.
    I mean most of the Spurs picks for Murray are unprotected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean most of the Spurs picks for Murray are unprotected
    And one has a good chance of never conveying so it's not even really three firsts. I don't know your point here. Do you disagree that the media called the Charlotte pick a first repeatedly while often glossing over its protection? If so then your point about assuming the picks were unprotected because Shams never mentioned any protection doesn't make much sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And one has a good chance of never conveying so it's not even really three firsts. I don't know your point here. Do you disagree that the media called the Charlotte pick a first repeatedly while often glossing over its protection? If so then your point about assuming the picks were unprotected because Shams never mentioned any protection doesn't make much sense.
    So we just ignore that the report was Dallas sent a first to BKY here and then later…it was confirmed no protections as originally reported. And that same language was used for the Murray trade and…the only outlier was one pick?

So 1 in like 5 picks it that verbiage has been used on has ended up not being fully non protected & with BKY knowing they had an non protected pick from Dallas on deck and likely telling LA that,LA offered up protections??

I don’t get why you are relying so much on the one outlier and ignoring the 80% others

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That trade is looking very bad for Atlanta and teams are noticing that not to make a similar deal with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we just ignore that the report was Dallas sent a first to BKY here and then later…it was confirmed no protections as originally reported. And that same language was used for the Murray trade and…the only outlier was one pick?

So 1 in like 5 picks it that verbiage has been used on has ended up not being fully non protected & with BKY knowing they had an non protected pick from Dallas on deck and likely telling LA that,LA offered up protections??

I don’t get why you are relying so much on the one outlier and ignoring the 80% others
    I don't know why you want to jump to conclusions so quickly that two picks means two unprotected picks, especially in an era where draft picks are often traded with protections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know why you want to jump to conclusions so quickly that two picks means two unprotected picks, especially in an era where draft picks are often traded with protections.
    I see angels.

I see the head of a pin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree traditionally thats true - but as of late? Deals have more than ever before been done with unprotected picks for all star types. Murray, Gobert, Mitc , Harden and now Kyrie etc…It does not matter anyways, silly argument, but I dont see why LA would even offer protected picks knowing full well BKY had offers with unprotected picks. Just does not even make sense but sure it’s possible

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feeling pessimistic. I wonder if Kyrie even shows up to Dallas. That quote from Dallas about not having any sort of new contract agreed to yet makes me think that KI already rejected it. There’s a lot of ways this can play out for Dallas but given this is KI I have to be cynical and think this ends up hastening Luka’s departure. They lost what little supporting talent they had.

If Kyrie shows up and actually plays hard then this is sort of what one can hope for in appeasing superstar talent: a brief window to ring before it self implodes. It sucks that Silver probably sees these trades as great media attention rather than making the league kind of a joke. I mean, you’re screwed if you don’t have superstar talent and half the time you’re screwed if you do have it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree traditionally thats true - but as of late? Deals have more than ever before been done with unprotected picks for all star types. Murray, Gobert, Mitc , Harden and now Kyrie etc…It does not matter anyways, silly argument, but I dont see why LA would even offer protected picks knowing full well BKY had offers with unprotected picks. Just does not even make sense but sure it’s possible
    2027 was surely unprotected because of the Stepien Rule but I'd expect they were trying to put protections on the 29 pick given their history where they expect everyone to just hand their stars to them like every opposing GM is Jerry West.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2027 was surely unprotected because of the Stepien Rule but I'd expect they were trying to put protections on the 29 pick given their history where they expect everyone to just hand their stars to them like every opposing GM is Jerry West.
    We will see - I dont know where Lakers heads are at. They are a mess but I think they will make a move..maybe thats their goal; not a star but depth where they dont have to give up unprotected picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will see - I dont know where Lakers heads are at. They are a mess but I think they will make a move..maybe thats their goal; not a star but depth where they dont have to give up unprotected picks
    Honestly their move just looks like punting the season so they can sign Kyrie in the summer. Which is re ed since they lose what could be the last superstar year of LeBron in a year the league is so wide open plus would require them to renounce everyone so they're a three man team with a bunch of minimum salary guys, a far worse version of the 2011 Heat minus Mike Miller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly their move just looks like punting the season so they can sign Kyrie in the summer. Which is re ed since they lose what could be the last superstar year of LeBron in a year the league is so wide open plus would require them to renounce everyone so they're a three man team with a bunch of minimum salary guys, a far worse version of the 2011 Heat minus Mike Miller.
    I think theres still a path to Spurs LA deal (even if 3 team) if LA is rational. They can still add talent and not have to use 2 unprotected firsts if they stop trying to only get a star that is never available for what they have. Get some legit depth

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to understand the Mavs moves…

they were a much better team with brunson and porzingis-
    than with the dinwiddie version

and now with the kyrie version…

if i were a mavs fan i sure would prefer to see luka with porzingis, brunson, finney, etc…

than this version of idiots…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Right, they could get a trade exception if they traded him into space (and only Spurs really offer that). But nothing if he walks.

And if he does walk, it’s $27 and not $45. I should know better by now to include roster holds but forgot they were that high… still, $27 million is enough for a solid third guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya - in hindsight, Mavs could have paid Brunson and still had Dinwiddie/Finney Smith and kept their pick to trade for someone else. It’s….not great overall management lol

Thread Information