Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vinyl Chloride boils at 8°F and breaks down into HCL and phosgene gas on contact with water/water vapor. About a million pounds of vinyl chloride were spilled or burned off.

The derailment was reportedly caused by a failed axle.

Investigators are now examining what happened when the train, with its axle on fire, passed through the detector in Salem — 20 miles and more than an hour before arriving in East Palestine.
    https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/202302100070

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Railroaders point the finger at Precision Scheduled Railroading, bad blocking and cursory safety checks.

In order to mitigate in-train forces, railroads prior to PSR would build trains with the heavier cars on the head end and the lighter cars on the rear end. This prevents severe slack run-ins and run-outs throughout the trip and if the train’s emergency brakes are applied, you don’t have heavier cars running into lighter cars which causes jackknifing. This particular train had 40% of it’s weight on the rear 1/3 of the train. Most of this tonnage was made up of loaded tank cars which are very heavy and slosh back and forth when coming to a sudden stop. This sloshing after a stop can continue the pushing of more cars off a track in a jackknifing situation which is what occurred in this Ohio wreck. This block of tank cars was placed directly behind a block of cars that were in the middle of train which were equipped with cushioned draw bars. The draw bars on these cars slide in and out independent of the car body which helps protect the merchandise carried within from damage. These type of draw bars are usually on automobile carriers to prevent the cars/trucks inside from being damaged. Placing cars with these draw bars in the middle of a train creates elasticity. Building a train like this (Head end = locomotives, which are the heaviest part of any train, followed by heavy mixed freight loads, followed by a block of cushioned draw bar cars, followed by a block of heavy tank cars (such as the case with this 32N) is akin to placing two bowling balls on the ends of a rubber band and praying the rubber band doesn’t break.

Video footage has emerged online (see video link below) showing one of the wheels on this train on fire as it passed by the camera. If this footage is authentic, it’s very likely that car caused the derailment. This damaged car apparently was allowed to leave its initial terminal because it wasn’t inspected properly due to car inspectors being laid-off and time allowed per car inspection being dramatically reduced by the industry. If this did indeed occur this way, the train would’ve gone into emergency and the heavy tank cars on the rear end would’ve slammed into the derailed cars causing the 50 cars to pile up off the track and catch fire.

"Precision Scheduled Railroading" is more than likely a major culprit in this incident for the following reasons:

-- Inspection times have been cut resulting in the defective car remaining in the consist.
    -- Train was excessively long and heavy… 151 cars, 9300 feet, 18,000 tons.
    -- Train was not blocked properly because PSR calls for limited car dwell times in terminals. Blocking a train for proper train handling (placing the majority of weight on the head end and ahead of cushioned draw bars) takes longer so this practice has been mostly eliminated by the rail carriers.
    https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...k-in-Ohio.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a legal standpoint, the NS train was not a "high hazard flammable train."

The vast majority of the nation’s trains continue to rely on a braking system first developed in 1868. Trains equipped with these traditional air brakes make emergency stops more slowly and with higher rates of damage than trains equipped with ECP brakes, according to both safety advocates and the Federal Railroad Administration.

While air brakes stop train cars individually, as air pressure moves sequentially from one car to the next, ECP brakes operate using an electronic signal and can stop an entire train much faster.
    https://www.levernews.com/rail-compa...io-derailment/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Synchronicity to the max

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://prospect.org/economy/how-ame...ot-railroaded/

predatory, extractive Capitalism: tiest possible product for highest possible price

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My favorite part of the story is the train company offering the city $25,000.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $5 per resident. A bigger gift might have suggested responsibility, I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear a used/stolen fur coat will win them over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear a used/stolen fur coat will win them over.

weren't the fur coats also taken back right after the photoshoot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    weren't the fur coats also taken back right after the photoshoot?
    EYup.

Also a shocker: coats were stolen/looted from Kherson region.

Russia in a microcosm.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox News claiming Biden is doing nothing because environmental disaster is in Repug country

has the governor declared an emergency and requested Federal help?

The state has its own Environmental agency and National Guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to blame Dems or Reps. It's just a colossal disaster that everyone in charge might try to cover up. And there might not be a solution that's economically feasible to government. The real solution might be to have all these people move. And it's a load of people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trains de-regulated, a ing disaster, bought by Capitalists and sucked dry.

Trucking de-regulated, a ing disaster, truckers can't make a good living

Airlines de-regulated, a ing disaster, they all bankrupted

Finance de-regulated / un-regulated, a ing disaster, eg, 2008 Banksters' Great Depression

neoliberalism, a ing disaster for the non-oligarchy

SCOTUS probably will gut the Exec branch,

IRS/SEC/EPA/FCC/FAA/FBI/CDC/etc all UNCons utional,

in violation of the "non-delegation clause"
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-14-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "EPA investigators said they found other hazardous material-containing cars “derailed, breached and/or on fire.”
    They also found

industrial solvents ethylene glycol monobutyl ether — which can be absorbed through the skin and harms the liver and kidneys — and

ethylhexyl acrylate, another known carcinogen that harms the lungs and nervous system.

The EPA has warned that

these chemicals are still being released "to the air, surface soils, and surface waters."

Sulphur Run, the creek that runs through East Palestine, connects through other waterways to the Ohio River.

Last week, officials in Weirton, W.Va., detected butyl acrylate — another chemical listed among the burning cars — though they aren’t sure if it came from the spill upriver, "

-- The Hill email

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to blame Dems or Reps.
    Disagree 100%, there's plenty of blame to go around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just freaking absurd to suggest no one bears responsibility for an entirely man-made environmental disaster.

Norfolk Southern deserves blame for skimping on safety and staff, Trump deserves blame for watering down regulations, and Biden deserves blame for the lame emergency response and not beefing up the regulations when he had the majorities in Congress to do it. Railroad safety re: hazardous materials isn't a brand new problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presumably the State of Ohio isn't responsibility free, what has it done to help?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree 100%, there's plenty of blame to go around.
    yeah. You got it. My bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presumably the State of Ohio isn't responsibility free, what has it done to help?
    Repug OHIO, neoliberal, unregulated, everybody do self-regulation as in "personal (corporate) responsibility"

Has OH declared a disaster? no, has he asked for FEMA, no. Evac over, everybody go back to polluted East Palestine, nothing to see here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The environmental awakening of Tucker Carlson

"a representative from the EPA, the Environmental Protection Agency, arrived to restore calm.

Yes, an EPA spokesman explained chemicals from the derailed train did enter the local watershed and

yes, they did kill fish, but the drinking water supply remains totally safe.

According to Carlson, the EPA is "not too concerned" about the incident because there is no connection to climate change and, therefore, it can not be used "to sell solar panels."

Further, Carlson claims the Biden administration is uninterested because "Donald Trump got over 71 percent of the vote in the county in the last presidential election." "

-- Popular Information email

Now EPA good, while Trash's EPA administrator was sent to destroy the EPA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i came across this vid:

and that made me do a search on precision scheduled railroading and i found lots of reporting from the past 1-2 years, full of workers predicting an event like this one.

Im amazed its not a bigger scandal, the replies on this thread seem to confirm resignation.. politics has real consequences that go well beyond making fun of the other side, but apparently thats the only thing people care for these days...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "bad faith" politics has real consequences, causing death and destruction to people and the planet.

"people" is too broad

There are people and politicians of good faith and they are in the majority

America's fatal problem is that there are people and politicians of unstoppable bad faith.

They are in the minority, but are intensely activated, very well financed by the Capitalist fascist oligarchy, exert control through rigged politics and the ed up Cons ution

They have ed America into un ability and are unstoppable

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are clearly critical segments of our industrial complex that require some sort of GOVERNMENT REGULATION.

But the red team claims the government is horrible at regulating anything and everything.
    ”Is this how you would run your railroad at home?” Stupid ass questions like government is your household…
    Or the government regulating railroads to some standard is communism. This does not mean the government will solve all of these problems, but it does mean someone besides a hedge fund manager is responsible for maintaining critical infrastructure.

Thread Information