Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur fans getting excited about a player who wasn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

He will not be on the team in three years when the Spurs will have several new players from the upcoming draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's kinda Bonner with skills.
    Totally different. Bonner is a catch and shoot with some rebounds. This guy facilitates, rim run, hassles and dives for 50/50 ball, besides hitting the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur fans getting excited about a player who wasn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

He will not be on the team in three years when the Spurs will have several new players from the upcoming draft picks.
    While I get the point, he is also an inexperienced player that was on a team playing for the chip and playing behind Giannis, Lopez, Portis, and Crowder in the front court. Not hard to see why he didn't get much burn in Milwaukee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s different playing for a contender even worst with a championship team. Spurs would have a rookie and a player or two stashed overseas. Mamu is still not a finish product and admittedly has a lot more to work on and that’s perfect in a rebuilding team. Many said Collins was an awful signing coming from devastating injury. Look at him now. Mamu is 54th vs 10th overall pick, but he shows so much upsides, at cheap price, to not be excited about.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There needs something to be excited about for Spur fans in this tank of a season.

Good for Mamu to get some playing time and putting up some numbers on this tanking front office don't care to win team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shaeden Sharpe isn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally different. Bonner is a catch and shoot with some rebounds. This guy facilitates, rim run, hassles and dives for 50/50 ball, besides hitting the 3.
    I guess that's why I added "with skills", right...? They compare as non rim protecting, bad defender stretch bigs... Mamu having good court vision and nice skills, plus the hustle indeed, even though he's fighting for his life here.. Mamu is having his moment in a terrible, tanking team where he took 14 shoots the last game they lost by 70 or so... Not like he single-handedly nuked the opponent...

Put Bonner in that team and he probably would have shown more than what he was asked for with the Big 3 (jacking up 2-3 treys a game). But don't expect Mamu to have that big of a role, other than what Bonner had (maybe a bit more) in a compe ive spurs team. Like bonner, his defense won't make it and if he was that good, Bucks wouln't have cut him.

But I still love the guy.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-22-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m ready for the Mamu/Manu wacky commercial for HEB or Red McCombs or whatever.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaeden Sharpe isn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.
    Sharpe would get more than 9 minutes a game in Milwaukee.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There needs something to be excited about for Spur fans in this tank of a season.
    You literally have never been excited about anything...even when this team was winning les.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sharpe would get more than 9 minutes a game in Milwaukee.
    You have an incredible fantasy life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess that's why I added "with skills", right...? They compare as non rim protecting, bad defender stretch bigs... Mamu having good court vision and nice skills, plus the hustle indeed, even though he's fighting for his life here.. Mamu is having his moment in a terrible, tanking team where he took 14 shoots the last game they lost by 70 or so... Not like he single-handedly nuked the opponent...

Put Bonner in that team and he probably would have shown more than what he was asked for with the Big 3 (jacking up 2-3 treys a game). But don't expect Mamu to have that big of a role, other than what Bonner had (maybe a bit more) in a compe ive spurs team. Like bonner, his defense won't make it and if he was that good, Bucks wouln't have cut him.

But I still love the guy.
    Bonner is a catch and shoot guy. He’s not attempting 14 shots unless they keep passing him the ball . Mamu rim run, facilitates at the top of the key, penetrates. He has a LOT more touches/opportunities. They’re both big and white with facial hair, that’s it. They couldn’t be more different.

The key why Mamu could have a great shot at making the team is, not because he’s a stretch big like Bonner, but because he can facilitate. Pop is all about The Beautiful Game. You need players who can pass. Unless Spurs have a dominant player they can keep feeding and score 40+. For now the ball needs to move. Mamu helps move the ball, finding people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know if this was a coaching decision or simply teammates deferring to him, but Big Mamu was getting the ball to bring it up the court like a guard. He actually looked comfortable in this role. Diving for loose balls, saving balls out of bounds, and knocking the ball loose from opponents are things that aren't in the stat sheets but should not go unnoticed. And his stat sheet got pretty full with some good stuff as well. Working this hard in a game that is out of reach shows a ton of character and heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mamu is basically your 15th player on the team, but has shown enough that he has moved up the rung. I don't consider him the 15th guy any more, but with time more of a second teamer. He could battle Bassey for the backup center position next season. Depending on who we would be playing Mamu could be the backup or Bassey could be the backup. They each bring a different set of skills to the table.

He was a nice find in this otherwise crappy season. The draft can't get here soon enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You literally have never been excited about anything...even when this team was winning les.
    Considering his one thread in The Club, it doesn't look like he can excite any women either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know if this was a coaching decision or simply teammates deferring to him, but Big Mamu was getting the ball to bring it up the court like a guard. He actually looked comfortable in this role. Diving for loose balls, saving balls out of bounds, and knocking the ball loose from opponents are things that aren't in the stat sheets but should not go unnoticed. And his stat sheet got pretty full with some good stuff as well. Working this hard in a game that is out of reach shows a ton of character and heart.
    I see Mamukelashvili as slotting in behind Sochan rather than behind Collins. So, his compe ion isn't really Bassey although they are both bigs. The team is trying him out as facilitator and they've always liked bigs who can put pressure on defenses by moving it up the court after rebounds.

Bassey plays more the traditional rim-defending, rebounding role.
    Mamu can do part of what Sochan does plus has his outside shot.

Definitely see a role for him going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ agree. He is more of a facilitator and Pop likes bigs who can pass, and especially who can bring down the ball. He has plenty of motor and Pop appreciates that. He impresses me as someone who would work hard to get better defensively. Plus great at ude who brings positive vibes on and off the court, already a fan favorite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bassey and was hoping he would get signed and get more minutes. But let me tell ya, he didn't show half as much talent during his brief time with the big club as Big Mamu has. I can see Mamu playing behind Collins and Sochan as a utility big man first off the bench. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the pro Sochan hype, but I think he is cemented into to starting team at this point because we may just not have anyone better. Does Brandon Miller take out Sochan or Kendall?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bassey and was hoping he would get signed and get more minutes. But let me tell ya, he didn't show half as much talent during his brief time with the big club as Big Mamu has. I can see Mamu playing behind Collins and Sochan as a utility big man first off the bench. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the pro Sochan hype, but I think he is cemented into to starting team at this point because we may just not have anyone better. Does Brandon Miller take out Sochan or Kendall?
    Who’s Kendall?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny when this end of the bench scrub from the Bucks is the best Spur on the court some nights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is a catch and shoot guy. He’s not attempting 14 shots unless they keep passing him the ball . Mamu rim run, facilitates at the top of the key, penetrates. He has a LOT more touches/opportunities. They’re both big and white with facial hair, that’s it. They couldn’t be more different.

The key why Mamu could have a great shot at making the team is, not because he’s a stretch big like Bonner, but because he can facilitate. Pop is all about The Beautiful Game. You need players who can pass. Unless Spurs have a dominant player they can keep feeding and score 40+. For now the ball needs to move. Mamu helps move the ball, finding people.
    I don't know if you just don't want (or can't) understand that it's litterally what "Bonner with skills means", like you know, Bonner (a basic stretch 4 eveyone knows here) but with Mamu skills you're describing here... but OK. I precisely used Bonner (a shooting stiff) to emphasize on Mamu skills and differences. And for the record, yes Bonner would have shown more with this team, not Mamu skills but more than he did during the Big 3 era...

As far as the Beautiful Game is concerned... No offense but please don't even mention that with this year's spurs and probably ever again. The beautiful Game was a very rare and unique combination of talent, brains, skills, complementarity, accountability and grace... Moving the ball is one thing, and Mamu is an intersting player, but you know... We might never find something even close to the Beautiful Game again, specially with today's no defense, 3 pointer fiesta that has become the NBA, which is harder and harder to watch tbh. Pop is just doing what he can with what he got.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-23-2023 at 12:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if you just don't want (or can't) understand that it's litterally what "Bonner with skills means", like you know, Bonner (a basic stretch 4 eveyone knows here) but with Mamu skills you're describing here... but OK. I precisely used Bonner (a shooting stiff) to emphasize on Mamu skills and differences. And for the record, yes Bonner would have shown more with this team, not Mamu skills but more than he did during the Big 3 era...

As far as the Beautiful Game is concerned... No offense but please don't even mention that with this year's spurs and probably ever again. The beautiful Game was a very rare and unique combination of talent, brains, skills, complementarity, accountability and grace... Moving the ball is one thing, and Mamu is an intersting player, but you know... We might never find something even close to the Beautiful Game again, specially with today's no defense, 3 pointer fiesta that has become the NBA, which is harder and harder to watch tbh. Pop is just doing what he can with what he got.
    Adam Sandler "with skills" = Mamu . Bonner and Mamu have completely different skill sets. You can't say Bonner "with skills" = Mamu.

And nah, Bonner will NEVER attempt 14 shots because he's a catch and shoot player, period. And worst if he plays for this team, because he will NEVER be open, unlike in the Big 3 era when defenses collapse getting him open.

Lastly, my reference to The Beautiful Game is ball movement. Spurs don't have a dominant player, so they need to move the ball to find open shots. That's where Mamu comes in (and his ticket to this team). He helps move the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American players come up thru AAU, which is athleticism based, but more to the point, they don't get any real actual team training and smoke is constantly blown up their ass by pretty much everybody -- trying to coattail, make a name for themselves, or shoe reps. It's a toxic, awful environment.

European players come up thru club environments where they have to pay their dues, which means actually learning how to play within a concept. This is why players like Doncic and Jokic have huge bags of tricks and know how to win, as opposed to the Kumingas, Jalen Greens, etc., who have no idea what to do once they get into the pros.

And... Sochan is really good, y'all. I understand being reluctant to jump in. That's fine. But he has gaping holes to his game and is already really effective. Put him on a playoff team and of course he'd get time. He'd be ferocious on the Nuggets, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American players come up thru AAU, which is athleticism based, but more to the point, they don't get any real actual team training and smoke is constantly blown up their ass by pretty much everybody -- trying to coattail, make a name for themselves, or shoe reps. It's a toxic, awful environment.

European players come up thru club environments where they have to pay their dues, which means actually learning how to play within a concept. This is why players like Doncic and Jokic have huge bags of tricks and know how to win, as opposed to the Kumingas, Jalen Greens, etc., who have no idea what to do once they get into the pros.

And... Sochan is really good, y'all. I understand being reluctant to jump in. That's fine. But he has gaping holes to his game and is already really effective. Put him on a playoff team and of course he'd get time. He'd be ferocious on the Nuggets, for example.
    samanic not withstanding, of course.

Thread Information