Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Neither Wemby or Scoot are guarantees for the Spurs in the lottery. Would they really pass on Brandon Miller because of where he's from? SMH

Makes me wonder about all the stuff Stack5 said about CIA Pop, that eventually got him released from the Spurs tbh.

Thoughts?
    28 teams passed on Dejounte Murray because of his troubled childhood. What do you think?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like the Amy thing is more of a story that "makes sense" than was actually confirmed. Jack sucked in 2013 and was dealing with a lot of personal issues. I have no reason to believe the Manu and Green conversation didn't happen. He might well have slept with Tim's wife, but then he'd've just done both. Even if Pop is covering for Duncan doesn't mean he wasn't referencing a real incident.

Also the Spurs drafted DeJounte. Obviously they don't have a prohibition against folks from the hood. Crawford, who's been making stupid comments recently, probably took them asking if he was going to be able to be professional going forward as them stereotyping him. He hasn't gotten to the point of accepting that he isn't in the NBA because he's not good enough and is still blaming "external factors".
    Just like other Spurs related stories that have been discussed ad nauseam and treated as fact for years.

When a lottery level talent falls to 29 and they have no notable youth and a desperate need in particular for a dynamic young guard, they don't. Outside of that specific scenario, they've clearly avoided them like the plague.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    28 teams passed on Dejounte Murray because of his troubled childhood. What do you think?
    You're not serious, right? Now Murray should have been a #1 pick.

Murray was mocked in the secound round until up May as a raw player with bad handlings and bad shooter. Nothing to do with his childhood... He rised a little just before the draft up around the early 20s before being picked 29.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-15-2023 at 04:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like other Spurs related stories that have been discussed ad nauseam and treated as fact for years.

When a lottery level talent falls to 29 and they have no notable youth and a desperate need in particular for a dynamic young guard, they don't. Outside of that specific scenario, they've clearly avoided them like the plague.
    If the Spurs "avoid them like the plague" they wouldn't've even had Crawford in for an interview. Basketball more than most American sports is meritocratic in terms of talent over background. But all sports are filled with athletes who were privlieged to have access to the training and stability that are often lacking in "the hood". What this means is that there are a bunch of players who are not uber-talents but who are trained well who end up being the solid player the Spurs are in a position to draft every year. They've never shown a tendency to hold a player's background against them. Now, are there "real n-words" that the Spurs avoid? That's more likely. But as you know, black people are not a monolith, and there are plenty of black boys from the hood that don't carry the stereotypical at ude with them, just as there are middle-class black kids who develop that at ude (like Ja).

I feel like there's a certain burden of proof that goes with the charge that the Spurs care about background at all. There are situations like with KPJ that the Spurs chose to pass up on talent that came with baggage, but they haven't turned out to be bad choices. It's not like Haliburton, Jokic or Sengun were passed on because of their street reps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What notable “hood“ prospects did we pass over? Most nba players dont run in gangs. They get siphoned into prep school and .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a ing snowflake. This team deserves to move two fake Vegas if we pick soft staff like this . 50/50 this story isnt true and is a cover for something else

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs "avoid them like the plague" they wouldn't've even had Crawford in for an interview. Basketball more than most American sports is meritocratic in terms of talent over background. But all sports are filled with athletes who were privlieged to have access to the training and stability that are often lacking in "the hood". What this means is that there are a bunch of players who are not uber-talents but who are trained well who end up being the solid player the Spurs are in a position to draft every year. They've never shown a tendency to hold a player's background against them. Now, are there "real n-words" that the Spurs avoid? That's more likely. But as you know, black people are not a monolith, and there are plenty of black boys from the hood that don't carry the stereotypical at ude with them, just as there are middle-class black kids who develop that at ude (like Ja).

I feel like there's a certain burden of proof that goes with the charge that the Spurs care about background at all. There are situations like with KPJ that the Spurs chose to pass up on talent that came with baggage, but they haven't turned out to be bad choices. It's not like Haliburton, Jokic or Sengun were passed on because of their street reps.
    Still got to do due diligence and keep up appearances.

Mostly agree on the rest, but you know the stereotype being discussed here and it's one they'd minimally clearly prefer to not have.

Yes, there's exceptions to the rule but they've generally (entirely?) been in bang for the buck type situations.

What notable “hood“ prospects did we pass over? Most nba players dont run in gangs. They get siphoned into prep school and .
    It's not so much about specifics as it is in general, they've clearly avoided a certain background or profile, with the caveat I mentioned above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably overblown, but I think in this case, having been burned by this program already, they'll probably do a very thorough background check. Primo literally cost them millions in two ways, his wasted paychecks this year and next, and the suit they settled with the psychologist.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the American gun culture far right extremists get all hot and bothered by. These ing mouth breathing gun s think it’s just another bs story by the msm to “steal muh guns”. The mistake isn’t the irresponsible gun owner who fired carelessly into a vehicle over nothing. It’s the Canadaland guy’s failure to return fire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a ing snowflake. This team deserves to move two fake Vegas if we pick soft staff like this . 50/50 this story isnt true and is a cover for something else
    Case in point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im joking mostly. People not familiar with the good parts of SA can find like this, and i dont doubt you can get trauma for being assaulted by guns. But thousands of people get held up and dont get to go to Canada. For better or worse gun culture is america and we should save our outrage for the kid killing psychos and give jr gun machismo guys a break. You wear out your outrage too easily.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mostly agree on the rest, but you know the stereotype being discussed here and it's one they'd minimally clearly prefer to not have.

Yes, there's exceptions to the rule but they've generally (entirely?) been in bang for the buck type situations.

It's not so much about specifics as it is in general, they've clearly avoided a certain background or profile, with the caveat I mentioned above.
    When drake became the biggest rap artist you know gang culture is dead. Black kids have internet now. The gangs are still there but they dont drive culture. The NBA became bigger and scouting starts sooner. None of the players today are gangster. Kawhi leonard the spurs vaunted boogeyman was not gang affiliated. Nba players and draftees are the cream of the crop. They will not have time to be drug runners or whatever. Thats why your statement is a bit whack.

The spurs big misses:haliburton, sengun, etc are not gangster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im joking mostly. People not familiar with the good parts of SA can find like this, and i dont doubt you can get trauma for being assaulted by guns. But thousands of people get held up and dont get to go to Canada. For better or worse gun culture is america and we should save our outrage for the kid killing psychos and give jr gun machismo guys a break. You wear out your outrage too easily.
    Or we should actually fix the cultural problems with real reform rather than political pandering or worse rolling back common sense policies because politicians think owning libs is more important than protecting lives.

Ironically while saving fetuses for their long life of abuse, neglect and poverty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not discussing your point in a vacuum, but truth is we don't really know what their criterion were to check or not certain prospects. Rodman was a spur, Murray too, while others players with heavy background were passed on. So they're just probablly focusing on personality, as they should, the same way they are with any other player... I mean spurs passed on a boatload of "clean" players too...So ITVs and getting info and tips from "friends" who dealt with those players are certainly key to their decisions independently of their background.

It's also true that school, College then NBA keep them away from the crap before they get eventually married and settle in life. you're not necessarliy the same as a teen and an adult. Plenty of examples of gangsta teens wising up as adults.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or we should actually fix the cultural problems with real reform rather than political pandering or worse rolling back common sense policies because politicians think owning libs is more important than protecting lives.

Ironically while saving fetuses for their long life of abuse, neglect and poverty.
    Saving fetuses in the name of God to let them getting shot once in school. Then "Prayers!"...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was covering for Tim by not telling the world that Stack5 banged on Amy Duncan. There was no meeting where Stack said he was better than Manu and Green. All a cover story to save Tim from being embarrassed.
    sauce?

where's this story from?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, why is anybody believing Jordan Crawford? The whole thing sounds like horse . In the age of Trump, you'd think we'd do better than believe somebody on media just running their mouths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The boyz ftom the hood are always hard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not serious, right? Now Murray should have been a #1 pick.

Murray was mocked in the secound round until up May as a raw player with bad handlings and bad shooter. Nothing to do with his childhood... He rised a little just before the draft up around the early 20s before being picked 29.
    My bad. But my point was the Spurs were not turned-off by DJ’s childhood troubled, but rather saw a kid rising from situations, which they were right about him as a hard worker, just wrong about being a big mouth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad. But my point was the Spurs were not turned-off by DJ’s childhood troubled, but rather saw a kid rising from situations, which they were right about him as a hard worker, just wrong about being a big mouth
    no way you can predict someone being a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, why is anybody believing Jordan Crawford? The whole thing sounds like horse . In the age of Trump, you'd think we'd do better than believe somebody on media just running their mouths.
    That might be right but just a classic way for interviewers to test people reaction with a surprising and disturbing question. Players are conditioned to answer classic, PC answers their agents teach them and teams have heard one million times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bas...on-cba-detroit

S
    He's got a lot of complaints
    Some have a small amount of validity. Some degree of NBA success is based on where you land. That said no one really wanted to keep him around
    Interestingly he has the 8th highest ppg in the 2010 draft (really bad draft)

If Picking past 1, I suspect the Spurs will definitely look at Miller.
    I also think they will look more critically than others would

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably overblown, but I think in this case, having been burned by this program already, they'll probably do a very thorough background check. Primo literally cost them millions in two ways, his wasted paychecks this year and next, and the suit they settled with the psychologist.
    Oh, I think there's good reason to be cautious on Miller. I really do like him as a player, but you can't mess around with guns like that. I have no idea if he's "hood" though. Most of us live or have lived in Texas -- we should be under no illusions that you have to be from a "bad neighborhood" to do stupid stuff with a gun. Crawford assuming the Spurs being cautious around a guy who may be an accessory to murder is the same thing as having a prejudice against "the hood" is stupid. The folks who think doing stupid with guns and having friends who are murderers is somehow quintessential to being a "real" black person is stupid and racist.

The Spurs absolutely should be cautious about an Alabama program that seems to love sweeping awful under the rug. If this weren't a possible third-best player at a premium position, I imagine he wouldn't be on their list at all. No I think it's going to come down to value and the interview. We'll see. I would definitely assume that if they were to select him they would've done all kinds of due diligence on him. Wright's job would likely depend on it.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds true to me. A lot of crazies with guns in San Antonio.

Thread Information