Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if they spurs got stuck with vanhorn next to david
    Believe it or not, there were some national commentators (a tiny minority) who thought Van Horn should be the 1st pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Believe it or not, there were some national commentators (a tiny minority) who thought Van Horn should be the 1st pick.

Vanhorn was nice in college but he or ron mercer would of sunk this franchise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are probably at least 3 years away from the postseason. Maybe 2 if they get Wemby and he's as good as advertised.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bottom line spurs need to suck as much as long as possible without getting the team shipped to vegas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boozer under the current CBA is 2026. He’s 15 r/n. We have the unprotected ATL swap.
    Good deal...When I looked it up nba draft room had him in the 2025 class...this is much better..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A trade with Utah makes sense.

Utah has three first round picks this year and no first round picks next year.
    Trade next year's Toronto pick to Utah for a mid first this year.

Utah may do this to get a first round pick next year as they still will have two other first round picks this year.
    It makes sense, but more lime the Charlotte pick + our two 2nd's this draft..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean what classifies as "exiting" the tank?

A winning season ?

Making the playoffs ?

This team is going to be really bad for at least 2 more years.

I mean the rockets started the tank two years before us and are still arguably worse than we are right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm concerned that consistently tanking could ultimately push the team out of San Antonio and create a losing culture that the city simply cannot afford.

Jeremy Sochan's recent comments about his desire to be part of a winning culture. The talented young player seems to be hinting that he won't put up with a tanking strategy for long. This kind of sentiment could make it difficult for the Spurs to attract and retain top talent in the future.

In my opinion, we should focus on winning games and maintaining a compe ive spirit. The Spurs have already managed to secure a solid number of first-round picks through trades, which should allow for a strong rebuild without resorting to tanking for multiple seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said it elsewhere on the forum, but re-upping on my prediction: Spurs will not move forward with another "blatant tank" season like this year's. In the almost certain scenario where they get a top lottery prospect - wether that be Wemby, Scoot, Miller, whomever -, they will come into next season with a "let them play and see what happens" mindset.

This is not only the logical step, given how much the team values a winning culture and striving for greatness (much to some posters' chagrin), but also consistent with their historical moves, something they've done in the past: they did it with the LMA-DDR teams, and then again with DJM at the helm, playing out the entire season to see what they had in hand (which didn't amount to be worth enough to keep, to nobody's surprise).

Sochan's exploding rise is only further boost to this model. They won't want to keep holding him down, and he's been too damn good to be a tank commander. Place a healthy Vassell, a top lottery pick, Keldon if they keep him, and some vet FAs to fill out the roster...

I'm thinking they'll be much closer to the play-in next season than people are expecting, if not outright playoff-bound (an easy first-round bump, yes, but POs nonetheless).

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes sense, but more lime the Charlotte pick + our two 2nd's this draft..
    The Charlotte pick may never convey into a first round pick.

Other teams are not stupid and know these things so it doesn't have as much value.

But yeah that would be better if you can find a taker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Charlotte pick may never convey into a first round pick.

Other teams are not stupid and know these things so it doesn't have as much value.

But yeah that would be better if you can find a taker.
    Almost every FRP that is traded is exactly like that. You get a set of protections, and a period of time, and then it turns into one or more SRPs. It has as much value as most picks with similar protections, and probably more than when we got it last year, in this age of FRP scarcity.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said it elsewhere on the forum, but re-upping on my prediction: Spurs will not move forward with another "blatant tank" season like this year's. In the almost certain scenario where they get a top lottery prospect - wether that be Wemby, Scoot, Miller, whomever -, they will come into next season with a "let them play and see what happens" mindset.

This is not only the logical step, given how much the team values a winning culture and striving for greatness (much to some posters' chagrin), but also consistent with their historical moves, something they've done in the past: they did it with the LMA-DDR teams, and then again with DJM at the helm, playing out the entire season to see what they had in hand (which didn't amount to be worth enough to keep, to nobody's surprise).

Sochan's exploding rise is only further boost to this model. They won't want to keep holding him down, and he's been too damn good to be a tank commander. Place a healthy Vassell, a top lottery pick, Keldon if they keep him, and some vet FAs to fill out the roster...

I'm thinking they'll be much closer to the play-in next season than people are expecting, if not outright playoff-bound (an easy first-round bump, yes, but POs nonetheless).
    I agree with a lot of this. My only caveat is how high we draft and based on who we draft does Pop return? If we end up picking 6th, does Pop still come back? Probably but who knows. And if we get a new coach, then that’s a whole other set of variables.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with a lot of this. My only caveat is how high we draft and based on who we draft does Pop return? If we end up picking 6th, does Pop still come back? Probably but who knows. And if we get a new coach, then that’s a whole other set of variables.
    I'm manifesting us drafting #1 until proven otherwise. Too much smoke there, it's just meant to be. But in any case, even if worst-case we fall to #6, I'd still trust the drafting department to make something good out of it. Pop, from the games I've watched, seems to be having a great time with this young group - he doesn't look like he's retiring this off-season, does he? Anything can happen, but especially if we draft top-3, I see him giving it another go next season.

Now that Quinn Snyder is off the board, tbh, I'm also hoping Pop re-ups so the "coach FA rotation" has a bit of time to recover and give some new prospect coaches. I think a year removed from the Celtics drama, Ime Udoka becomes a very real possibility. He was doing some good work in Boston before went south.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm concerned that consistently tanking could ultimately push the team out of San Antonio and create a losing culture that the city simply cannot afford.
    Team is probably going to move unless it's a le contender by 2028 or so once the push for a new arena really heats up. If they're not one of the better teams in the league by then I can't see another arena vote passing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team is probably going to move unless it's a le contender by 2028 or so once the push for a new arena really heats up. If they're not one of the better teams in the league by then I can't see another arena vote passing.
    I think people are grown up enough to understand that the vote is Spurs: stay or go. If they use the same funding mechanism, hotel/motel/rental car tax, it would probably pass. That doesn’t directly hit San Antonians wallets.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't expect a tank next season.

The Spurs are tanking because they want Wemby this year.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't expect a tank next season.

The Spurs are tanking because they want Wemby this year.
    I wouldn't expect too much out of them next season whether they get him or not given how stripped down this roster is on talent.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree, San Antonio won't support a losing team for long.

Las Vegas Spurs, silver and black to go along with the Raider's silver and black already there.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't expect too much out of them next season whether they get him or not given how stripped down this roster is on talent.
    Not saying they will be a playoff team next year but Pop won't be tanking so obviously as he's doing this year.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost every FRP that is traded is exactly like that. You get a set of protections, and a period of time, and then it turns into one or more SRPs. It has as much value as most picks with similar protections, and probably more than when we got it last year, in this age of FRP scarcity.
    But Utah is not likely to want that Charlotte pick for one of their guaranteed first round picks this year.

It will take next year's Toronto's pick for Utah to have interest in moving one of their three picks this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya I'm sure Pop timed it so a 29 point lead came down to the last shot in regulation by Memphis.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question isn't "how long will we be bad?" it's "how long will we be tanking?". I agree with most here that regardless of outcome this summer, I don't think we tank past this season. We may be bad, but I think we at least try for every win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The next couple of drafts project to be bad, so I doubt the tanking plan would last for more than 1 year. How good the team would be even if they try to win is another question.
    Gotta land someone who turns into a star unexpectedly. Of course the last time that happened he was a snake in the grass that faked injuries to get out of town..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Utah is not likely to want that Charlotte pick for one of their guaranteed first round picks this year.

It will take next year's Toronto's pick for Utah to have interest in moving one of their three picks this year.
    I doubt Utah will have a pick high enough this year to get Toronto's pick from us .. only top 6 protected is pretty valuable..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Utah will have a pick high enough this year to get Toronto's pick from us .. only top 6 protected is pretty valuable..
    It's not how high the pick is, it's who is available with that pick.

Thread Information