My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “For those wondering about the play with 1:54 to go on the 3rd, let me explain what happened,” Cuban wrote. “The ref called Mavs ball . The announcer announced it. Then there was a timeout . During the time out the official changed the call and never told us. Then when they saw us line up as if it were our ball, he just gave the ball to the warriors. Never said a word to us They got an easy basketball. Crazy that it would matter in a 2 point game. Worst officiating non call mistake possibly in the history of the NBA . All they had to do was tell us and they didn't.”

1. Refs call Mavs ball
    2. Announcer announces over PA
    3. Timeout called.
    4. Mavs players walk over to bench at other end because, that's what you do during a timeout.
    5. Refs change the call without telling the Mavs.
    6. Refs hand the ball to Warriors for an uncontested 0-5 layup.

The Warriors, your Todays NBA Champions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    visual
    Mark Cuban to protest Warriors-Mavericks game after Kevon Looney's uncontested dunk (msn.com)

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    The ref called possession for Warriors. Then that ref put his hand up signaling stop of play and pointed in the other direction to signal timeout. Player approaches to ask about the call and he confirmed it was Warriors ball.

The PA announcer called Mavs mistakenly. That's not the refs fault. But the refs did not clear that up. The ref did not change the call or make a mistake. But they did up handling things by not making it clear what the call was, and by not giving the Mavs players a heads up or time to get back to that end of the court.

But another question is even if it were Mavs ball, why were ALL the Mavs players at the other end? Someone still had to inbound the ball and another player needed to receive the inbounds. Refs may have ed up, but the Mavs players also look incompetent if not down right stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ref called possession for Warriors. Then that ref put his hand up signaling stop of play and pointed in the other direction to signal timeout. Player approaches to ask about the call and he confirmed it was Warriors ball.
    1. Source?
    2. Which "player approached to ask about the call"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But another question is even if it were Mavs ball, why were ALL the Mavs players at the other end? Someone still had to inbound the ball and another player needed to receive the inbounds. Refs may have ed up, but the Mavs players also look incompetent if not down right stupid.
    Timeouts are X amount of time.
    As long as the team with the ball (The Mavs thought it was the Mavs) gets to the inbound line on time to have the ref hand them the ball, they can use the entirely of the time out.

So the Mavs weren't late, the Warriors snuck out and lined up knowing full well what was up?

I find it near impossible to believe the refs clearly stated it was Warriors ball.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Source? I'm the source. I watched the play live and all the replays they showed on sportscenter.

The ref clearly called Warriors ball. Holds up his hand like a stop sign, then points the other way signaling timeout. You can't tell from the camera angle, but he was pointing at the scorer's table. Then I believe it was Looney who goes up to him to make sure of the call, and he reiterates the call has the ball staying at that end.

It's fair to say that it was confusing and they did the Mavs no favors to make the call clear. But it wasn't a changed call or cheating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Source? I'm the source. I watched the play live and all the replays they showed on sportscenter.

The ref clearly called Warriors ball. Holds up his hand like a stop sign, then points the other way signaling timeout. You can't tell from the camera angle, but he was pointing at the scorer's table. Then I believe it was Looney who goes up to him to make sure of the call, and he reiterates the call has the ball staying at that end.

It's fair to say that it was confusing and they did the Mavs no favors to make the call clear. But it wasn't a changed call or cheating.
    1. Did you see Mavs Justin Holliday dribble the ball out of bounds? Was there no interference / foul by a Warrior? (I can't find any media on this, instead they just replay the out of bounds play ad nauseum.) Do you agree it's clearly off Holliday and refs clearly indicated so?

2. Do you now or have you ever in your life identified as Laker or Warrior? I'm not saying you do I'm just clarifying. For the record i am a certified Laker / Warrior Hater. But I'm all about fair calls.

This is a colossal screw up by Mavs if so. How in the do you think it's your ball if your own guy dribbles it out of bounds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW the point about where the 3rd ref was lined up. 3:58 mark. (If you can bear long enough of the yammering).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Case in point:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point that Looney was complaining to the ref about the call. Looney thought the call was Mavs ball.
    And 3rd ref was lined up way at the other end, as if he also thought it was going to be Mavs ball.

We'll see what Stern Jr. does with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do you see this shaking down as Stern Jr saying "the correct call was made, next."?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The ref very clearly signals Warriors ball, but that doesn’t excuse their inability to clear up all the confusion.

Refs have stopped action in the past to make sure both teams were on the same page before play resumed. It’s absolutely ridiculous that the ref would give Poole the ball in that situation.

But this doesn’t rise to the “official protest” level of blatant ref incompetence. They didn’t technically do anything wrong. But the spirit of the game sure got shoved in the garbage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cuban filing a protest over it is pretty funny. Despite the final score this game was not decided by a basket in the third quarter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cuban filing a protest over it is pretty funny. Despite the final score this game was not decided by a basket in the third quarter
    When appeals work (rarely) the game is resumed at the point in time of the protest play.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of the Lakers, they just got a 46-20 free throw advantage against the Suns the other night. Rigged games not always just about free throw total/disparity straight away, but god damn, could the league be any more obvious about trying to get Lebron and Co. into the playoffs?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The ref very clearly signals Warriors ball, but that doesn’t excuse their inability to clear up all the confusion.

Refs have stopped action in the past to make sure both teams were on the same page before play resumed. It’s absolutely ridiculous that the ref would give Poole the ball in that situation.

But this doesn’t rise to the “official protest” level of blatant ref incompetence. They didn’t technically do anything wrong. But the spirit of the game sure got shoved in the garbage.
    Well said refs didn’t the Mavs and still wouldn’t excuse not heading to take the ball out if it was definitively the Mavs ball. And state being on the far side along with the ball and a ref should have given the Mavs a clue something was off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure if the exact same scenario played out but the two teams were switched, the same thing would happen to the Warriors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch Looney pull Doncic down by the jersey.
    Just prior to the out of bounds call.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, the Lakers hold a +411 free throw advantage against their opponents this season with the next largest advantage being the Sacramento Kings at +193. Lol, I'm not even British but that's a ing bloody monstrosity, lol. Apologies to the resident humble, lifelong Lakers fans, but it is what it is! Lol

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    If anyone here thinks the NBA is rigged yet you still watch it as if it's a compe ion, you're self deluded and a hypocrite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone here thinks the NBA is rigged yet you still watch it as if it's a compe ion, you're self deluded and a hypocrite.
    How about profitable sports betters?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    My point stands. Sports betters couldn't care less about compe ion. They just want to win the bet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point stands. Sports betters couldn't care less about compe ion. They just want to win the bet.
    Ya but it's still a compe ion.

Case in point today. Chicagos Wrigley field 30 MPH winds blowing in.
    That is just ca ching ca ching for numerous No Score in Inning bets. Especially early in game while wind still whippin.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Ya but it's still a compe ion.

Case in point today. Chicagos Wrigley field 30 MPH winds blowing in.
    That is just ca ching ca ching for numerous No Score in Inning bets. Especially early in game while wind still whippin.
    You're talking about compe ion between the ignorant (unknowing) bettor and the game/score, not in-game compe ion. Think professional wrestling and betting on the outcome when it's fixed. It's not compe ive wrestling, it's a show. If you think the NBA is fixed, why would you ever cheer for any specific team to win? The refs aren't a 3rd party in the NBA, they are part of the total show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're talking about compe ion between the ignorant (unknowing) bettor and the game/score, not in-game compe ion. Think professional wrestling and betting on the outcome when it's fixed. It's not compe ive wrestling, it's a show. If you think the NBA is fixed, why would you ever cheer for any specific team to win? The refs aren't a 3rd party in the NBA, they are part of the total show.
    I don't believe every game is fixed.
    I think many are.

Thread Information