My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poisson d'avril

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Op can off. I don’t care if it’s April 1st or not.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Op can off. I don’t care if it’s April 1st or not.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1-866-347-2423

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    devastating news for the houston rockets imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Lakers, Warriors and NBA agree to ethical play and behavior from here on out."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ¡No lo hagas BB! ¡Solo estaba jugando!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard he wants to be toboggan captain instead! "Basketball is too hard, just laying down in a toboggan sounds a lot more chill."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously this is an April fools joke... but serious question - does Wemby even need to "declare" for the draft? He's a pro in another league who meets eligibility, doesn't that mean his rights can be picked regardless of whether he wants to be in the NBA or his contract status (making him a Euro Stash)?

Wemby does have some interesting leverage though, I don't think he'll use it... but he could easily say "I will only play for the Lakers, if you draft me, I will be staying in France indefinitely"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously this is an April fools joke... but serious question - does Wemby even need to "declare" for the draft? He's a pro in another league who meets eligibility, doesn't that mean his rights can be picked regardless of whether he wants to be in the NBA or his contract status (making him a Euro Stash)?

Wemby does have some interesting leverage though, I don't think he'll use it... but he could easily say "I will only play for the Lakers, if you draft me, I will be staying in France indefinitely"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligib..._the_NBA_draft
    Those who have reached the minimum eligibility age of 19 and meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:

• They are at least 22 during the calendar year of the draft.
    • They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside the NBA within the United States, and have played under that contract
    The CBA defines "international players" for draft purposes as those who meet all of the following criteria:[38]
    • Permanently reside outside the U.S. for at least three years before the draft while playing basketball outside the U.S.
    • Have never enrolled in a U.S. college or university.
    • Did not complete high school in the U.S.
    Wemby is eligible, but not automatically eligible. I short, he can (but isn't obliged to) opt in until he turns 22 where he'd be eligible whether he submits his name or not.
    Can he force a team's hand? Sure, up to a point. He can threaten a team he doesn't want to play for to stay in Europe, but said team holds his NBA rights and the money difference is so large that he's basically forfeiting tenths of millions of dollars each year he holds out (considering contract, sponsors, etc.) and that he pushes forward his max rookie extension (where the big money is). Also the team in question should consider that (IMO) you lose more by caving in and picking next best than you do if you roll the dice and play hardball. So both parties hold leverage and it'd be in their best interest to negotiate a way out.

Thread Information